LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2010   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 53 NorthBeat will become famous soon enoughNorthBeat will become famous soon enoughNorthBeat will become famous soon enoughNorthBeat will become famous soon enoughNorthBeat will become famous soon enoughNorthBeat will become famous soon enough

Arrow Pyle Pro... did they actually make a nice driver??

Im looking to re-do my daily cars door pods with one large driver per door. 10" atleast, going for a big of the shock factor as I want a switch from the 6 6.5"s I have right now

I came across the Pyle Pro and its specs are quite nice, on paper, has anyone actually heard one??

Pyle Pro PBW10S 10" Midbass | Parts-Express.com

Pyle's 10" midbass has a 2" high temperature CCAR voice coil and a TIL bobbin. Features a 10" paper cone and a linear phase plug. One year manufacturer warranty. Specifications: • Power Handling: 500 watts RMS, 1,000 watts peak power • Impedance: 3 ohms • Sensitivity: 100 dB • Frequency Response: 65 Hz-4 kHz • Mounting Depth: 3.15" • Magnet Weight: 100 oz.

Im looking for a midRANGE speaker, no real need for them to play below 120hz in this setup, but I would like them to get extrememly loud and clear to keep up with my substage which is excessive...

I plan on making custom glass pods sealed from the door for each driver, have 300rms X 2 @ 4ohm to play with for the front stage

What do you guys think, any experience?? I dont have high thoughts of pyle myself, but damn those specs look nice. Very comparable to the selenium 10" but with more power handling and a much easier ohm load to play with, and a free grill to boot!

NorthBeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 118 fish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Pyle Pro... did they actually make a nice driver??

I'm pretty sure these are the midbass TREETOP is using in the doors of his Tahoe. From what I remember, they perform quite well.

Maybe he'll see this thread & chime in. Or just PM him, he should give you an in depth response on his thoughts about the Pyles.

P01 - HD600/4(2) - HD750/1 - Integra 402 - 10BR60V2 - IB15A(2)
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 118 fish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enough

double post

Old 12-04-2010   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 93 TREETOP will become famous soon enoughTREETOP will become famous soon enoughTREETOP will become famous soon enoughTREETOP will become famous soon enoughTREETOP will become famous soon enoughTREETOP will become famous soon enough

I had those same ones at first, but after a mishap with a turn-off pop bad enough to blow both of them I'm now running the ones with a standard dustcap instead of the phase plug. Running 80hz LR4 to 1khz LR4, with 500w each.

I was also leery of the brand name based on experiences with their products in the 80s but decided to give them a shot (not many 10" midbass/midrange drivers out there with only 3.15" depth) and I'm glad I did. They've been doing great and for the price they're a steal.

You'll find these same speakers from other "manufacturers" also, some with slightly different specs. Soundstream, Precision Power, Boss Audio, Cadence, and probably a few others. They're all packaged the same way, with similar grills included- Most likely all heading to the US from the same manufacturer. I still had a Parts Express credit from Midwest Audio Fest so I went with the Pyles since that's what Parts Express carries.

[edit:] Mine are behind the factory door panel grills, which is why depth was an issue for me.
TREETOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010   #5

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 53 NorthBeat will become famous soon enoughNorthBeat will become famous soon enoughNorthBeat will become famous soon enoughNorthBeat will become famous soon enoughNorthBeat will become famous soon enoughNorthBeat will become famous soon enough

Thanks for your input guys. I appreciate your actual experience, that really helps.

Can you give me a rough estimate on power handling and maybe a good frequency range for them?? Im thinking of running them alone, one per door in my front stage ( I do have rear fill on my wall though ) but ont know if I should couple this driver with a tweeter upfront..

Like you said, I want to stick with parts expres since they have easy shipping to canada, and $50 per driver is NOTHING if they take 300rms crossed a bi high and stay clear and smooth...

Am I expecting to much??

Sealed glass pods be enough room??

Thanks guys!!

Many sleepless nights to come lol
Old 12-04-2010   #6

DIYMA freshman

I do love that it comes with a gill, but that dam bullet phase plug sure is sexy, maybe I could cut the center of the grill....
Old 12-04-2010   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

[QUOTE=NorthBeat;1175284]Thanks for your input guys. I appreciate your actual experience, that really helps.

Can you give me a rough estimate on power handling and maybe a good frequency range for them?? Im thinking of running them alone, one per door in my front stage ( I do have rear fill on my wall though ) but ont know if I should couple this driver with a tweeter upfront..

Like you said, I want to stick with parts expres since they have easy shipping to canada, and $50 per driver is NOTHING if they take 300rms crossed a bi high and stay clear and smooth...

Am I expecting to much??

Sealed glass pods be enough room??

You'd definately need something to mate up with them to play the higher frequencies. On PE's spec page it just says FR up to 4k, but without a FR graph it's hard to say how high they'll play off-axis in your doors.

Speaking of doors, it's going to be difficult to get the proper amount of airspace in a sealed enclosure. I'd mount them IB, especially since you're high-passing them at 120hz.

300 watts should be fine, as TREETOP stated he's got 500 going to each one.

Old 12-04-2010   #8

DIYMA freshman

You think it would be best to have my glass pod "open" in the back of it so the speaker used the door as an enclosure?? My doors are fully deadened so I could do that I suppose.

I could angle these speakers slightly in my pods to try and axis them with the opposite side. I just really wanted a clean new door pods with one big single driver. And this drivers specs just kinda blow me away as a noob so I had to make sure they were real lol, and the little over 3" mounting depth is NICE

I just want to make sure they are good and clear speakers.

As for lacking the highs.. would you suggest a small full range cone driver upfront aswell to take care of some highs or just a small tweeter? I did have Selenium St350's but I crossed them to low once and they are toast, so my only highs are coming from my dayton rs-100's
Old 12-04-2010   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Yes, leave the back open.

If you're looking for a large pointsource driver, check this one out...

Dayton PS220-8 8" Point Source Full-Range Neo Driver | Parts-Express.com

Old 12-04-2010   #10

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 79 eggyhustles will become famous soon enougheggyhustles will become famous soon enougheggyhustles will become famous soon enougheggyhustles will become famous soon enougheggyhustles will become famous soon enougheggyhustles will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBeat View Post
You think it would be best to have my glass pod "open" in the back of it so the speaker used the door as an enclosure?? My doors are fully deadened so I could do that I suppose.

I could angle these speakers slightly in my pods to try and axis them with the opposite side. I just really wanted a clean new door pods with one big single driver. And this drivers specs just kinda blow me away as a noob so I had to make sure they were real lol, and the little over 3" mounting depth is NICE

I just want to make sure they are good and clear speakers.

As for lacking the highs.. would you suggest a small full range cone driver upfront aswell to take care of some highs or just a small tweeter? I did have Selenium St350's but I crossed them to low once and they are toast, so my only highs are coming from my dayton rs-100's
Full range won't "keep up"

Try some horns
eggyhustles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggyhustles View Post
Full range won't "keep up"

Try some horns
I'm having that dilemna right now. 3" Founteks playing 315hz & up, along with some 10" Faital Pro midbass.

Old 12-05-2010   #12

DIYMA freshman

are you guys saying you dont think the Pyles would give me very good vocals and sound clarity??

Id love for my front stage to compile of just one of these 10's per door, and 2 tweeters. Was hoping to get good sound out of that.
Old 12-05-2010   #13

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Withheld
Position:
Former installer

Rep Power: 118 nubz69 will become famous soon enoughnubz69 will become famous soon enoughnubz69 will become famous soon enoughnubz69 will become famous soon enoughnubz69 will become famous soon enoughnubz69 will become famous soon enoughnubz69 will become famous soon enoughnubz69 will become famous soon enough

I just want to say you may want to look into the B&C 8" mid. It's easier to install and imo is an amazing sounding speaker.
nubz69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 125 mitchyz250f will become famous soon enoughmitchyz250f will become famous soon enoughmitchyz250f will become famous soon enoughmitchyz250f will become famous soon enoughmitchyz250f will become famous soon enoughmitchyz250f will become famous soon enough

treetop - how low to these get. I want to setup for my wife's civic. If it only gets down to 60Hz with cabin gain, that would be fine.
mitchyz250f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 93 TREETOP will become famous soon enoughTREETOP will become famous soon enoughTREETOP will become famous soon enoughTREETOP will become famous soon enoughTREETOP will become famous soon enoughTREETOP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchyz250f View Post
treetop - how low to these get. I want to setup for my wife's civic. If it only gets down to 60Hz with cabin gain, that would be fine.
With my setup I wouldn't want to cross them much lower than I have them, I played them for a bit crossed at 70hz LR6 but went back to 80hz LR4. I like them loud though, if I didn't need them to keep up with horns and four 12s I'm sure I could cross them a bit lower. they seem happiest at 80+ though.
Old 12-06-2010   #16

DIYMA freshman

Can I ask what LR4 and LR6 mean?? I understand crossover point and slope, but Ive never heard that term

By chance can you link me to the horns you have these drivers paired with?? Im curious on a "horn" setup even though I probably dont have the space to fit the horn youve used.

Thanks ALOT!
Old 12-06-2010   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Oliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enough

linkwitz riley
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010   #18

DIYMA freshman

????
Old 12-06-2010   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 91 sqnut is a glorious beacon of lightsqnut is a glorious beacon of lightsqnut is a glorious beacon of lightsqnut is a glorious beacon of lightsqnut is a glorious beacon of lightsqnut is a glorious beacon of lightsqnut is a glorious beacon of lightsqnut is a glorious beacon of lightsqnut is a glorious beacon of lightsqnut is a glorious beacon of lightsqnut is a glorious beacon of light

Treetop is talking about the slope on which the driver is cut.

LR4 = 24db/octave (4th order slope)
LR6 = 36 db/octave (6th order slope)

70 & 80hz are the xover points and LR4/LR6 are the clopes uses at each xover point.

HU : Pioneer p-80rsII DSP Bit Ten Mid Bass : Polk SR 6500 Tweets : Scan-Speak Illuminator Sub : MM 2124 4 Ch Genesis Profile Four Ultra Mono : Genesis DM
sqnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Correct, Linkwitz Riley 4th order (24db/octave) and Linkwitz Riley 6th order (36db/octave).

The horn bodies I'm using are modified Image Dynamics CD1e Minihorns, and mated to them are B&C DE500-8 compression drivers.
Old 01-26-2011   #21

DIYMA freshman

anyone else try these woofers??
Old 02-01-2011   #22

DIYMA freshman

bump, still in the air if I should pull the trigger on these, Im ready to make new door pods, just need equipment!!
Old 02-01-2011   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 106 mikey7182 will become famous soon enoughmikey7182 will become famous soon enoughmikey7182 will become famous soon enoughmikey7182 will become famous soon enoughmikey7182 will become famous soon enoughmikey7182 will become famous soon enoughmikey7182 will become famous soon enoughmikey7182 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
bump, still in the air if I should pull the trigger on these, Im ready to make new door pods, just need equipment!!
Is there anything else out there even remotely comparable for $100/pr? What are you hoping for? You got some pretty good feedback about them last month... Buy them.

W200/H701---ID Fullsize/B&C DE500--2118H--2206H--W15GTi
mikey7182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011   #24

DIYMA freshman

Im just an amatuer looking for re-assurance to be honest lol

What Im reading on this site though, is that like 2k hz is a good cutoff point for your speakers to start sloping them generally. For YEARS I have midbass/midrange cutoff from 5-6.5k, but Ive never ever tried to cross them under 4k, never crossed my mind.

Am I missing a whole nother world of SQ?

If I were to buy these and put them in sealed pods, 1 per door. What would be recomended to keep up with the highs?? I have a pair of selenium st350's. But those arent recomended to go below 5k...

Im just a little lost is all, TREETOPs testimony makes me want to run them BAD, but I dont get why no others use them?? Heck I wish they had a 12" version, that was my original plan, get away from the standard small speaker, as I wanted something unique looking when I oppened my door, a 10" may cater to that though
Old 02-01-2011   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
...TREETOPs testimony makes me want to run them BAD, but I dont get why no others use them??
Because they're Pyles. The name Pyle hasn't really been synonymous with sound quality in the past or present, they're normally thought of as entry level products- or worse, flea market junk. I chose them based on my needs for a particular driver in my setup, not for the name- in fact it was difficult for me to commit to them also, just because of what I'd thought of Pyle stuff in the late 80s and early 90s when I'd tried their stuff before. I figured I'd try to believe their specs and give them a go rather than giving power to the stigma stuck to a certain brand name.
If it makes you feel better, buy the same drivers but marketed by a different company- PPI, Soundstream, Boss, Cadence, etc. They cost more but you won't have to tell your friends you're running Pyle Drivers.