SQology Steel Valley Regional VII - New Cumberland, WV - July 28-29, 2018 - Page 7 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2018   #151

Rep Power: 57 Ge_off_me will become famous soon enoughGe_off_me will become famous soon enoughGe_off_me will become famous soon enoughGe_off_me will become famous soon enoughGe_off_me will become famous soon enoughGe_off_me will become famous soon enough

Default Re: SQology Steel Valley Regional VII - New Cumberland, WV - July 28-29, 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefhow View Post
1. Are those 10 events all judged but the same 2 judges or is it by different judges?

2. What were the conditions of the venues? I heard from MANY competitors that there was some weird voodoo happening in the Harv and stages were skewed and freq responses were all over the place from day to day

3. Do you know who your judge was? Have they heard your car before? A lot of judges get comfortable in cars they have seen over and over again with little to know changes being made to them so they know what to expect. I'm not saying thats always the case but I know it happens. Seeing judges you dont know shakes things up for competitors and they are often left wonder who the hell let this guy/gal judge a car only to see that it comes down to familiarity of the car.

4. How many IASCA judges got into your car over the weekend? Over the past month? How many if any changes did you make for this show?

Again, just asking questions to help you figure out why your score may have been lower then your average

EDIT: I see that you had a 1st place and a 3rd place with a swing of 4 points. On a MECA scale 4 points isnt just 4 points which I explained earlier its actually more like 16 when you take into account that there are .25 points used not whole points. How is it possible that you went from 3rd to 1st with what i presume was the same judges just more of them.
There was only one judge for the 2x event, and he was dedicated to that event only. The three judges for the 3x were not involved in the 2x at all.
Ge_off_me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Ge_off_me For This Useful Post:
chefhow (08-02-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2018   #152

Rep Power: 63 lowcel will become famous soon enoughlowcel will become famous soon enoughlowcel will become famous soon enoughlowcel will become famous soon enoughlowcel will become famous soon enoughlowcel will become famous soon enough

Default SQology Steel Valley Regional VII - New Cumberland, WV - July 28-29, 2018

Just curious how much time you guys spent seating your judges? My score from Geoff was about three points lower than usual and I blame it on how I seated him. Simple mistakes like this can make a big difference in your scores.

Iím going to be driving another seven hours this weekend to see him again to work on getting him positioned correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Team SSQ - Team Audio X - Team Zapco
lowcel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lowcel For This Useful Post:
captainobvious (08-03-2018), chefhow (08-02-2018), SQ Audi (08-03-2018)
Old 08-02-2018   #153
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,176 Posts
Rep Power: 452 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: SQology Steel Valley Regional VII - New Cumberland, WV - July 28-29, 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcel View Post
Just curious how much time you guys spent seating your judges? My score from Geoff was about three points lower than usual and I blame it on how I seated him. Simple mistakes like this can make a big difference in your scores.

Iím going to be driving another seven hours this weekend to see him again to work on getting him positioned correctly.

I think that was our issue as well

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018   #154

Rep Power: 63 lowcel will become famous soon enoughlowcel will become famous soon enoughlowcel will become famous soon enoughlowcel will become famous soon enoughlowcel will become famous soon enoughlowcel will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
this sexy beast.. its also why he won phat car

Thatís a hell of a lot sexier than the Phat Truck.

Team SSQ - Team Audio X - Team Zapco
lowcel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to lowcel For This Useful Post:
chasingSQ (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018   #155
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 34 chasingSQ is a jewel in the roughchasingSQ is a jewel in the roughchasingSQ is a jewel in the roughchasingSQ is a jewel in the roughchasingSQ is a jewel in the roughchasingSQ is a jewel in the roughchasingSQ is a jewel in the roughchasingSQ is a jewel in the roughchasingSQ is a jewel in the roughchasingSQ is a jewel in the roughchasingSQ is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

i made sure my judges were seated correctly , even to the point of putting a piece of painters tape on the pillar to align there ear , i said this is where your ear should be so adjust the seat to that point and i waited til it was lined up until i left the car , i was trying to cover what ever variables i could

2013 brz , P99-helix dsp mk2 pro-director-mosconi-zapco-sinfoni tempo 10-thesis 3.0-thesis 6.0-SI bm mk5. (gone) but not forgotten
2019 subaru STI
2018 new york state meca street champion .
chasingSQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2018   #156

Rep Power: 69 juiceweazel will become famous soon enoughjuiceweazel will become famous soon enoughjuiceweazel will become famous soon enoughjuiceweazel will become famous soon enoughjuiceweazel will become famous soon enoughjuiceweazel will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
this sexy beast.. its also why he won phat car

OMG, sweet ride! I have a real soft spot for Audis, just not the bank roll to repair them

2013 Subaru Legacy 3.6 R Limited with Starlink - Helix DSP.2 - PG Ti2 1600.5 - Hertz HV 165 - Hertz HT 25 - JL 12TW3-D4
juiceweazel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2018   #157
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 129 SQ Audi is a name known to allSQ Audi is a name known to allSQ Audi is a name known to allSQ Audi is a name known to allSQ Audi is a name known to allSQ Audi is a name known to allSQ Audi is a name known to allSQ Audi is a name known to allSQ Audi is a name known to allSQ Audi is a name known to allSQ Audi is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrichard89 View Post
Anyone have any info on Mercury car audio? Never heard of them, but that's a good looking amp there.
Eddie DeJesus is the North American Distributor for Mercury. The amps in his car (2014 Hyundai Equus - Ultimate) are the mid-line for the brand. He has told me that the top line is outstanding although I have yet to look at them.

I was told that his car sounded MUCH better at SVR than it did at the HAT show last month. It is a beautiful install and Mercury is no slouch.

Joe Wallis
2013 Hyundai Equus (Ghost)
Lexicon HU, Italia Hi-Fi BL-5 3-way Active, 4 BL-3 8" subwoofers, PHD 4075x for mids and tweets, 2260x for midbass, and 11100x for subs. Ask me about Italia Hi-Fi.
SQ Audi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2018   #158

Rep Power: 69 juiceweazel will become famous soon enoughjuiceweazel will become famous soon enoughjuiceweazel will become famous soon enoughjuiceweazel will become famous soon enoughjuiceweazel will become famous soon enoughjuiceweazel will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by audirsfaux View Post
i made sure my judges were seated correctly , even to the point of putting a piece of painters tape on the pillar to align there ear , i said this is where your ear should be so adjust the seat to that point and i waited til it was lined up until i left the car , i was trying to cover what ever variables i could
This is really splitting hairs for that last tenth of a point. I always said I'd never get that anal, but I see myself going that way if I wish to compete too I just said, here, hop in & enjoy. Obviously it worked well for you. Maybe I need to rethink this positioning the judges thing as well

2013 Subaru Legacy 3.6 R Limited with Starlink - Helix DSP.2 - PG Ti2 1600.5 - Hertz HV 165 - Hertz HT 25 - JL 12TW3-D4
juiceweazel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2018   #159
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 161 naiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ Audi View Post
Eddie DeJesus is the North American Distributor for Mercury. The amps in his car (2014 Hyundai Equus - Ultimate) are the mid-line for the brand. He has told me that the top line is outstanding although I have yet to look at them.

I was told that his car sounded MUCH better at SVR than it did at the HAT show last month. It is a beautiful install and Mercury is no slouch.
I got a demo in the Equus and it sounded great, Eddie seemed like a nice guy to talk to as well. IIRC he said they were working on a demo truck to bring out as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceweazel View Post
This is really splitting hairs for that last tenth of a point. I always said I'd never get that anal, but I see myself going that way if I wish to compete too I just said, here, hop in & enjoy. Obviously it worked well for you. Maybe I need to rethink this positioning the judges thing as well
I kind of feel the same way, but at the same time, I think if competing you have to go to that level of detail. I know in my own car if I move my head forward just a couple inches, it screws things around enough that if a judge is not in that ideal spot I tuned for, I am shooting myself in the foot in a competition.

Some old luggage

naiku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2018   #160
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 187 Mic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura about

Related but unrelated comment that Ive been thinking about since the show.

After the show I was talking with Stan Frazier, Nick Scott and James Feltenberger who all judged the top 30 SQ round.

Most do not know that these were some of the best IASCA judges from "back in the day". James in particular is a professional Trumpet player and conductor w a Masters in Music.

I asked them how they liked being back judging and all agreed that cars today sound better. but the bigger point is that this has become a highly specialized hobby/sport.

Originally, you had to be very good at several things. Sound, Install, RTA and SPL. Any deficient area, needed to be made up somewhere else on the score sheet at having a chance to be on stage.
Also, originally--competitors could NOT make any changes between SQ, RTA and SPL. it all had to be done from the same setting....digital dsps, relay banks, seperate eqs all changed these rules..

But Today---the knowledge that even the novice rookie competitor typically comes in to a show with, is significantly higher than even 10 years ago.
the ability to manipulate sound and even poor speaker locations via DSP makes getting a good sounding car pretty easy for most.

There is becoming less and less separating the bottom from the top. Just looking at the top 30 scores and even several of the IASCA and MECA scores to see how tight the scores are a great illustration of this point.

At the end of the day there are 2 big things----If you're someone who is happy with how their car sounds--fine, enjoy it regardless of a score or something someone says
But---This is also a competition. Its about trying to win and do well, those who care about the competition side will go through alot to earn a spot on the stage.

2010 MECA Extreme World champion,
2005 IASCA World Champion Pro 600+
2010 MECA Mike Baylor Sportsmanship Award
2011 MECA SQL Spirit Award
2012 MECA SQL Judge of The Year
2012 IASCA FINALS SQ/INSTALL Judge
2012 USACi Japan Finals Judge
2013 IASCA FINALS IQC Install Judge
Mic10is is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mic10is For This Useful Post:
bertholomey (08-03-2018), captainobvious (08-03-2018), chasingSQ (08-03-2018), D34dl1fter (08-03-2018), juiceweazel (08-03-2018), naiku (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018   #161

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Technician

Rep Power: 49 Mullings will become famous soon enoughMullings will become famous soon enoughMullings will become famous soon enoughMullings will become famous soon enoughMullings will become famous soon enoughMullings will become famous soon enough

Damn, I never thought about seating the judges and that cost me 3rd place in my class cuz I got 3 points less from 1 judge because my stage was slightly to the left , I like the idea of marking where your ear should be as I already have a mark on the center of the windshield. I’ve already fixed everything that the judges commented on and can’t wait for the next show.
Mullings is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mullings For This Useful Post:
captainobvious (08-03-2018), SkizeR (08-04-2018), SQ Audi (08-05-2018)
Old 08-04-2018   #162
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 115 bigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Does anyone have any information or more pics on the black Chrysler 300 beside the Audi?

bigbubba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2018   #163
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 187 Mic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbubba View Post
Quote:

Does anyone have any information or more pics on the black Chrysler 300 beside the Audi?

ID horns and MB8. zapco Amps

2010 MECA Extreme World champion,
2005 IASCA World Champion Pro 600+
2010 MECA Mike Baylor Sportsmanship Award
2011 MECA SQL Spirit Award
2012 MECA SQL Judge of The Year
2012 IASCA FINALS SQ/INSTALL Judge
2012 USACi Japan Finals Judge
2013 IASCA FINALS IQC Install Judge
Mic10is is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2018   #164
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 34 chasingSQ is a jewel in the roughchasingSQ is a jewel in the roughchasingSQ is a jewel in the roughchasingSQ is a jewel in the roughchasingSQ is a jewel in the roughchasingSQ is a jewel in the roughchasingSQ is a jewel in the roughchasingSQ is a jewel in the roughchasingSQ is a jewel in the roughchasingSQ is a jewel in the roughchasingSQ is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
yeah its bills car i dont know if he is on here , why ?

2013 brz , P99-helix dsp mk2 pro-director-mosconi-zapco-sinfoni tempo 10-thesis 3.0-thesis 6.0-SI bm mk5. (gone) but not forgotten
2019 subaru STI
Old 08-05-2018   #165
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 115 bigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enough

Quote:
yeah its bills car i dont know if he is on here , why ?
I just bought a 300S 4 months ago and was curious what was done to his and how the install looked. I guess I can wait till Finals and see it there if he goes.

Old 08-06-2018   #166
Upgrade Your Membership!

Quote:
I just bought a 300S 4 months ago and was curious what was done to his and how the install looked. I guess I can wait till Finals and see it there if he goes.
well from what i remember , he is running the stevens mini horns and 8 inch mid bass and a pair of dayton 15's ib , with zapco lx amps and 2 big ass stinger batt's in the trunk . nice install as well all hidden too

2019 subaru STI
Old 08-07-2018   #167
Upgrade Your Membership!

Quote:
well from what i remember , he is running the stevens mini horns and 8 inch mid bass and a pair of dayton 15's ib , with zapco lx amps and 2 big ass stinger batt's in the trunk . nice install as well all hidden too
Thanks to you and Mic for the info. I really want to see it now but realized that I already have something scheduled for the same weekend as Finals. Need to decide which is more important now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement