DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Small car, too little space. Need good speakers.

7K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Mini_Fanatic 
#1 ·
Hey. I'm trying to fit a basic stereo system in my small car. I'm not looking for anything crazy, but I am obsessed with reference audio. I can fit a maximum (in size) of 6 1/2" speakers in the back on the parcel shelf and a maximum of 1 3/4" speakers in the front.

I know this makes my choices very limited, and I'll most likely have to scratch any thoughts of having front speakers.

I've been looking at the Alpine SPX-17PROs as a possibility, but I'm open for any suggestions.

Thanks

#4 ·
Well, I was wondering if that'd be possible at all. Or if tweeters can even have a wide enough range to move the sound field a little further towards the front.

I know the Alpine SPX tweeters are supposed to be amazing for the price, so that's why I've been looking at them. The interior of my car is so small, boxy and open that most frequencies below 5,000 hertz just seem to hang in the space as if there's an omni-directional speaker in the car.

So, I was wondering if it would really be so wrong to separate the tweeters from the mids?

Or should I scratch that idea altogether and just get some great mids with tweeters built in. And leave it at that?

#6 ·
A 1971 Mini Cooper.

That, more specifically, I'm trying to keep looking as stock as possible. With doors and panels that are less than an inch and a half thick and a firewall that's only 2 1/2" from the face of the dashboard... Keeping it looking stock is hard while installing a sound system.

But there are two 1 1/2" round air vents up front that can be converted for tweeters.

#7 ·
got room for kick panel pods for the mids?

i agree with you on the spx tweets being nice but i have always found the mids to be lacking in output. currently running the spx-177r tweets with dynaudio mw160 and i love the combination.

#9 ·
Hey. I'm trying to fit a basic stereo system in my small car. I'm not looking for anything crazy, but I am obsessed with reference audio. I can fit a maximum (in size) of 6 1/2" speakers in the back on the parcel shelf and a maximum of 1 3/4" speakers in the front.

I know this makes my choices very limited, and I'll most likely have to scratch any thoughts of having front speakers.

I've been looking at the Alpine SPX-17PROs as a possibility, but I'm open for any suggestions.

Thanks[/QUOT

Looks like the wrong car for your audio obsession...LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.