DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
4K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  vargas35 
#1 ·
Ok so I got my wisdom teeth pulled today and I am sitting at home high on painkillers and figured now was a good time to start my build thread. If anyone has any experiance with an OB Tahoe feel free to shoot me your suggestions!

Vehicle: 1999 4dr Tahoe

Headunit: Alpine CDA-117 with Bluetooth addon

Processor: JBL MS-8

Tweets: Vifa XT25 / SS Class A 6.0

Mids: HAT L6 / SS Class A 6.0

Midbass: Focal KBE 165 / PG ZX500

Subs: Two JL 12w6v1 in sealed box built to spec. / SS Reference 700S

Will be running this in a 2.5 way setup with speakers in stock locations and the midbass in the rear doors.

Gonna start uploading pics and will add as my build progresses. Enjoy!!!!!

See less See more
#4 ·
Although putting the additional midbass drivers in the rear doors would not be something I would do, I say go with it.... I would recommend that you dampen the heck out of those rear doors, including the interior door panel. T/A should be able to pull the soundstage back to front, but will not help at all with localization back to the rear caused by resonance of the panels.

I am local, so would like to check it out when you get'er done... If you need any assistance, let me know...

#5 ·
Nice man. Ya I plan on deadening the hell out of all four doors this weekend. I was thinking that running it as 2.5 way instead of true 3 way would help keep the soundstage in the front as well. Although I admit I have no real basis for this theory of mine lol

#7 ·
What I mean by it is I will run my mids on all frequencies between my subs and tweets were the midbass will just play the midbass frequencies.
For example:

Tweets: 2500+
Mids: 60 - 2500
Midbass: 60 - 300

'
Im hoping by doing that it will make it a little easier to tune and help with the midbass that Tahoe's are known to struggle with.

#8 ·
So tomorrow I am going to be deadening the doors with Raamatt BXTII. Not looking forward to this. I have never done it before and it doesn't seem like it is all that fun...

I will take pics and post tomorrow.

#12 ·
I have no idea if it really helps or not. It does add mass behind the panel and puts a little extra pressure on it as well. I think it help with rattles and a little bit of noise.

BTW, I saw you were asking about covering the holes in your outer door panel...
I would make some small thin metal panels to cover over the holes in your door. Then cover them with BXT, sheet metal screw them to the door. It WILL make a difference in midbass. I have done it in my past truck as well as this one and I know it helps.

#14 ·
Looks great! The deadening looks great as well. Love the SS 6.0s on your mids and tweets! Couldn't ask for cleaner amps. My only concern is the off-axis response of the Vifa XT25s... Hopefully you're satisfied with the location. If there was a way to bring them above the dash and on-axis they would sound MUCH better imo. Just a thought. Looking forward to more pics!

#15 ·
ya I usually like real layed back tweets so Im hoping this will work. If not I will just replace them with something that is better off axis. I am sick of getting my **** broke into so I am sticking with stock locations!

#17 · (Edited)

Thought I should add a pic of the truck. I have always loved the old body style on the Tahoe. I will be throwing in the amps today and hopefully give it a test running it 2 way.

Couple of changes:

My midbass amp is now a SS reference 700s. I plan on replacing it with another Class A 6.0 if I can find a third one in excellent condition like the other two.

I have also purchased (2) 12w6v2 and will be pushing them in a sealed box with a Rockford Fosgate T10001 bd.

#18 ·
Looking good. I have a 2002 Yukon, and I've been playing around with the tweeter location to see what I like best. They're on the a-pillars right now, but thinking about trying some more locations soon.

Any chance you know of a good local tuner/installer? I love toying with it, but sometimes a fresh set of ears and ideas are nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.