Trunk Preparation

Lets now get on with the build pics in the trunk…starting first with the steps I took to prepare everything for the build. As with any fake floor build, the absolute key is to start with a foundation that is level with the rest of the trunk floor…and then everything can be built off of that. The Genesis makes this a bi difficult as the spare tire well, though big and deep, is very much at a different angle than the top floor and has a big old group 49 battery sitting in it.

So first thing I did was to figure out where I wanted the foundational support to sit in the spare tire well and laid down a layer of deamplifier pro:



Here is what the trunk looks like in general, nice and spacious, but note that on the front portion, there are a bunch of factory tubing and panels that I would have to space over in order to achieve a flat and level floor. I would also need to build spacers on the two sides to make it flat and even with the front…







Then I installed rivet nutserts into the two trunk sides, to secure the floor spacer i will be putting in later:





I also installed rivet nutserts along the passenger side wall of the spare tire well, these will secure a wide variety of things down the road. The first picture is where the Stinger grounding lug will go, thus paint has been grinded away:





Next, I added rivet nutsets at the front of the trunk, which will serve to secure the front floor spacers. The front of these spacers will be secured using a nut onto the OEM stud you see sticking out of the floor.





These are the foundational spacers for the left and right sides…though they look simple, each took over 2 hours of careful measurement, cutting, ditching, recutting, reditching, to get right…because keep in mind that all four spacers need to align on angle and height, big metal washer acting as shims helped to get the final few mm of angle right:





Here are the spacers for the front trunk floor, note the bottom is design to sit in the dips and valleys and space above the factory tubing and panels:





While I was at it, I got in a Braille Endurance battery to replace the OEM unit, it has way more capacity and CA:





It is a direct fitment to OEM mounting bracket. Though its an AGM and don’t need a breather, it does provide a slot so the stock vent tube plugs right in:



The four floor spacers were then bolted in place, forming a flat panel across the four corners:











The Stinger 0 gauge grounding lug was then installed via bolts, wiretie hold downs were also installed in the locations previous drilled and riveted to hold the main power and ground cables:





In order to ensure that I have a stable platform to build everything else off of, I decide to do a fiberglass bottom support structure…basically a fiberglass box but not for enclosure purpose. So first the area was taped off:



And then 6 layers of fiberglass cloth was laid down and allowed to cure:



Then the piece was removed from the car and trimmed to the desired shape:





Then support blocks were attached so the top surface will be oriented flat and inline with the four support platforms above, note that holes were drilled through the blocks to allow for bolts to pass through:



Next a top panel was fabricated, with a center recessed hole to attach a bolt to the OEM spare tire mounting hole:



Next the top panel was attached to the blocks and then the gaps around the edges filled in with duraglass to form a flat and sturdy piece:







So this is the finished structure that the subbox and thus amprack will attach to. The four bolts show are the ones that will attach this structure to the car. Also note the threaded inserts added for the attachment of the subbox:







Next, four holes were drilled in the floor of the spare tire well and rivet nutserts attached:





Then the support structure was bolted in place via the 5 bolts, completely solid and strong:





The rivet nutsert and the bolt exposed at the underside of the car were coated with bedliner to prevent corrosion:





The bottom of the rear deck was sound proofed with deamplifier pro along with the trunk lid:







To allow better venting of the subbass into the cabin, I made a venting port attached to the trunk ceiling carpet. Here is the carpet piece:



The port frame was built, rabetted on the backside to allow attachment of grille mesh:





This was then placed onto the trunk carpet and the area in the port cut out: