Amp Rack Construction

Easily the most complicated part of the build was the amp rack. What seemed like a HUGE trunk quickly became very space constrained after we mocked up the four big amps and two subs…so precision is the absolute key here. For this reason, I had a laser cutting facility make me templates that were to my specific parameters, within microns.

I also decided early on that I plan to have a secondary display within the amp rack, meaning the surface that the amps and wires sit on will be displayed…this adds a lot of complexity as all the cables and their routing needs to be carefully planned out so it wouldn’t detract from the overall aesthetics.

I started with this simple board, cut to the desired shape:



Next, I took one of the laser cut plexiglass pieces and routed out a bunch of copies from various thickness of wood. This is the bottom of the amp rack walls, and consists of, from the bottom to the top, 3/8” mdf, 1/2” MDF, 3/8” Plexi (the template) and 1/8” hardboard:







Next, another laser cut of plexi was used to make a second stack of rings, these are slightly bigger than the first group so when they sit on top of the first batch, it forms a small ledge, this ledge is what the white painted trim panel sits on. From the bottom to the top, this group is 1/2" MDF, 3/8” Plexi (the template) and 1/4” MDF.







Here are the two batches stacked on top of each other:





And you can see the ledge that is formed, not the precision of the pieces:



Next, a third laser cut plexi piece was used to make the cosmetic middle trim panel out of 1/2” MDF:





And this pieces is test fitted to the stack, again note the precise fitment of the panel, a 1/8” border was left all around to account for the thickness of the carpet:





The stack of rings from the subwoofer build section was also test fitted at this time and the whole shebang was test fitted in the vehicle:





Next, a series of holes were drilled through the entire stack and the base board, these will serve to pass long bolts through and achor the stacked walls to the baseboard:









Every hole drilled in the base board received its own threaded inserts:





And finally, the pieces were bonded together via bolts:





Next, holes were drilled into it that would allow bolts to pass through ane secure the baseboard onto the foundational support platforms documented earlier:





The area around the subwoofers were cut out:



And the area above the stock battery was cutout…this is done so that in case we ever need to swap a battery, all we have to do is remove a single amp and pull the battery out:



Next, the very bottom pieces of the stacked wall was chopped into two sections, this would allow fore the wiring bundle to pass through:





Next, the inside wall of the pieces was wrapped with 3M brushed aluminum wrap to maintain cosmetic consistency with the floor:









Next up is the 3/8” plexi, which was clouded:





The 1/8” hardboard was then carpted:





Then the 1/2" MDF was carpted:





The upper 3/8” plexi clouded:





And finally, the top 1/4” MDF carpted:





Then all the pieces that were wrapped in black carpet was dyed to be slightly ligher. Here you see a sample black carpet on the left, and the dyed pieces for comparison purposes:



Then began the task of securing all the rings together, basically, each layer was put down, epoxy applied, the next ring stacked on, so on and so forth until the very top piece has been placed, then bolts were shot through to hold it all together as the epoxy dried, forming a solid wall of sorts: