DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Image Dynamics v3 ID10/IDQ10 vs new version Alpine Type S/Type R 10

8K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Ray21 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for a 10" sub that will outperform a Dayton HO 10 in around half a cube in low end extension and quickness/punch with up to 700W at 4 ohms available.

WinISD says IDQ10 will get loudest above 55HZ, being the most efficient sub and able to take all the power I can give it with it's high xmax. I ran the 12" version of this sub a while back and remember it having some mechanical noise at high excursion. Wasn't a huge deal at the time but won't be tolerated now. Box size is a bit small for this sub so it starts to roll off quicker.

WinISD says the Type R 10 has the best overall response curve, can take all the power I have, and I generally feel like this one won't care what I do to it, it'll just do it. It's even less efficient than the Dayton though, which is kinda the opposite direction I was wanting to go. But the revamp of the Type R's have been getting rave reviews.

WinISD says the Type S 10 can get louder at higher frequency than the Type R, but gives up some LFE and handles less power. But Jim Walter of Alpine says the Type S 10 (and Type S line in general) are fantastic SQ subs and very transiently quick.

WinISD says the ID10 seems like a good compromise between the Type R and Type S. It has the efficiency up high of the Type S with the low frequency extension of the Type R. Gets loudest below 55Hz by just a hair over the Type R.

All of these are generally reported to be good SQ subs and in relatively the same price range, but I haven't used/heard any of them. I figure there isn't really a "bad" choice in the list, but is there a best choice? If I didn't know anything about any of these subs, the ID10 looks like the best choice. It's efficient, takes power, gets low, and gets loud. But purely due to my experience with the older version Type R 10 and the 12" version of the IDQ, I'm worried about the ID subs at higher excursion, but not so with the Alpine.

Thanks.

See less See more
#5 ·
I think they vary between .78 and .9 if I remember. I'll check when I get home.

I want it to be able to do everything. I'd like to be able to run without a high pass. I'd like to ok if it were my only sub.

#10 ·
While the IDv3 has pretty good stroke, I don't consider it a loud sub. As typical overhung subs, it tends to get noticeably noisier as it reaches x-max.

The Type-R will certainly be louder and the flat BL curve will most likely yield less distortion than either ID subs. I remember seeing klippel results of an IDQv3 and it wasn't as flat as the Type-R.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.