Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepalan View Post
Sorry. I have some additional questions:

It seems that the APL1 device would be capable of (nearly) perfectly time-aligning a system, even if it is using passive crossovers. i.e. by using an FIR based complex power spectrum (phase & amplitude) measurement and correction, each frequency will be time-aligned by the processor, and the need to time-align individual drivers is minimized (or eliminated, or improved upon)?

Another question: In addition to aligning the primary path to the listener, it sounds like APL will correct for the major reflected paths. Is this true? If so, does it do this by cancelling those paths, or by aligning them at the listening point to sum with the main path?

*** EDIT: I see upon more careful review that I got confused between TDA and APL. Most of my questions were answered in Hanatsu's APL Review thread. ***
The way APL measures and corrects for response irregularities makes it consider reflections in another way than just doing it "the usual way". What is does is basically to take samples of the power response at multiple spots that "creates" the sum at the listening position rather than measuring the sum itself. It does this by an impulse response, not by noise which cannot register any phase/delay information. It does fix most minimum phase regions. Non-minimum phase regions are modal dips for example (which can't be fixed by any type of processing). The minimum phase corrections increases coherency in staging since left and right side is corrected for indiviually, I believe this is the main cause for the increase in perceived depth and focus in the lower midrange.