DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Interesting Factory Sub Design....Isobaric Maybe???

5K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  HiloDB1 
#1 ·
This is the factory sub I pulled from my wife's 2011 Honda Pilot. It is very odd looking. It looks like a siamese twin that was never separated at birth. The 2 cones are different sized. The one playing to the front is 7.25" and the one behind is 6". As far as the sound.....not very good. The voice coil is front mounted (i.e. illusion audio) on the rear 6" "sub".

So, is this isobaric or one 6" sub with a 7" passive radiator attached?

Interesting design and I'm just wondering if the benefit to this design may cause us to see more. People that have more knowledge, please discuss.

See less See more
#3 ·
Doesn't look isobaric since the area inside the two cones is not isolated. My wild guess would be that it probably a way to bring up cone mass and rigidity using available material and saving spider cost at the same time. As well as gaining some linearity holding the cone at a great width than with the tradition coil first, spider, then surround. :confused:

#6 ·
might be a way to prevent spider sag, if the surrounds are able to hold the coil in alignment.

for a heavy cone with small Vd, the spider sag issue might be more prevalent and enough of an issue to call for drastic measures.

#7 ·
Looks like someone ripped off Earl Geddes.

That's an acoustic lever. He has a patent on that.

An acoustic lever is a speaker design where you have one cone driving a passive cone. In concept, it is somewhat similar to a bandpass box. Except you have a passive radiator instead of a port, and the big difference is that the passive radiator is physically connected to the woofer.

^^ picture this, but with the two cones physically connected

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.