After the long, in-depth debate on this subject which took place here ( https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...and-power.html) over the past few days, I feel like this sticky really needs to be edited. Despite most of it being true, the following section is patently WRONG, and needs to stop being repeated. Need clarification? See the thread I posted.

"The lesson in all this is that you can never have too much power, and that big amplifiers rarely damage speakers. Little amplifiers driven into clipping burn out speakers. In the scheme of high fidelity, that last barrier to realism is having enough power and being able to approximate real-life loudness levels. The lesson in all this is that you can never have too much power, and that big amplifiers rarely damage speakers. Little amplifiers driven into clipping burn out speakers."

Perhaps a better statement is that "Your sound system can never be too powerful. Despite not intending to listen to music cranked to 11, you really need more power than you might think to actually imitate the dynamics of a live performance."

I say "system" to imply both powerful amplifiers ALONG WITH speakers that can actually handle that power.

Because you can never have too powerful of a sound system, but you can certainly have too powerful of an amplifier.