DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

07 Ferrari F430, Looking for high end single din

14K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  carlthess40 
#1 ·
Good morning,
I'm looking for suggestions for a high end, single din radio for an 2007 Ferrari F430.

Needs to have integral bluetooth. I don't really want to put a mic in the cabin, but I'll do what has to be done.
Needs to be easy to read / operate
Needs to not look like a Dekotora
I do not want a flip out screen.

If I didn't need to have BT I would use a Denon for sure. I had my eye on the Continental radios, but they seem like availability might be an issue. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I don't know if the Pioneer P99 has the integral bluetooth (personally, I don't know of any that do not at least need an external microphone), but that's where I would start looking. You would also need the CD-BTB200 for Bluetooth, which may be a deal breaker. It also requires external amplifiers, so may not work in your situation.

Then maybe the Sony GS9, but I think the Pioneer would look better in the F430 dash, from talking to people as well the Sony can be a headache to navigate with, it also needs external amplifier(s).

#7 ·
The unfortunate thing is all modern, full featured, decks are cheesy looking/feeling.

I'm helping a friend put together a system for a classic car and he ended up picking a KDC-X702. He wanted CD, radio and bluetooth. Only other way to accomplish that is doing an old premium head unit and a DSP with bluetooth.

For simplicity sake he bought the Kenwood.

Not many head units will do that car justice TBH.

#18 ·
Thanks everyone for the responses so far.

I wish this was my garage, or my car. This is a separate 2 car "Carriage house", away from the the other 4. Heated & air conditioned year round.

I'm not sure that you need a "High End" head unit if you aren't also going to upgrade the speakers and install an amplifier or two to drive them properly?

In this instance I think I'm looking for "high end" in appearance

You could add a tiny "micro amp" to almost any of the head units that you choose, and it wouldn't require
any extensive wiring or major modification.

A microamp might be doable if it comes to that

Do you really need it to Play CDs???

I don't

I'm fairly certain that you have a smartphone? If so, maybe the new Pioneer SPH-10BT

I weep for humanity

And nearly every aftermarket HU with BT for Hands-Free Calls will require you to add an external microphone.

I'm slowly coming to terms with this

I would also really consider the Pioneer DEX-P99RS, but as mentioned, for BT you would need to
add the separate CD-BTB200 adapter. :(
I use aptx Bluetooth adapters. The phone calls come through the speakers and your phone mic (assuming it's a modern smart phone) is more than capable of hearing you with the windows down.

I will look into this thank you

So use the Denon and grab a Bluetooth adapter.
I don't think that the OP already owns the Denon HU?

I do own a silver DCT-R1, but this isn't my car

But I do this in one of my vehicles as well with the Arcam rBlink (now discontinued), but I don't think
the OP's OEM HU has an AUX input or an amplifier to connect the output of the BT Receiver to, and it
looks like he isn't and doesn't want to add amplifier(s). So he would still have to install an
aftermarket single-DIN HU with an AUX Input or one of the micro-amplifiers at minimum.

I think that one or two members here might still have a Black Faceplate Denon DCT-x Head Unit which
would look great in the dash, and some of these have a rear RCA AUX input, but would require an
outboard amplifier of some sort.

There are a couple black face units on ebay right now

#14 · (Edited)
Yup, fun car!

I'm not sure that you need a "High End" head unit if you aren't also going to upgrade the speakers and install
an amplifier or two to drive them properly?

I also think that the classic Sony ES CDX-C910 would look great in the dash, but they're old, don't have BT,
have a horrible display (dim & hard to read in sunlight), and you'd need external amplifiers as well.

Most of the above would apply to nearly all of the classic "high end" head units.

You could add a tiny "micro amp" to almost any of the head units that you choose, and it wouldn't require
any extensive wiring or major modification.

Something like the Mosconi Pico 2 amplifier
or one of the Alpine, Clarion, or Kenwood micro amps, etc.

Perhaps the Kicker Key180.4 Amp+DSP would be perfect?

None of the Single-DIN head units out there (at least that I've seen) have a really good display that's easily
view-able with top-down driving in full sun.

Do you really need it to Play CDs???

I'm fairly certain that you have a smartphone? If so, maybe the new Pioneer SPH-10BT

Watch the Video on the Crutchfield page.

You can fully customize the front panel lighting, and Pioneer will be selling Parking Sensors that integrate
with both the HU Display and SmartPhone Display (could be useful with that car).

And nearly every aftermarket HU with BT for Hands-Free Calls will require you to add an external microphone.

If your OEM stereo has BT Calling and there is already a microphone installed in the cockpit for it (doubt it), you can
tap into the existing OEM microphone via the OEM wiring harness/plug and connect it to your new
aftermarket stereo. I've done this with 3 of my own vehicles and it has worked flawlessly
with the aftermarket HU.

If not, installing the aftermarket BT mic is usually fairly simple and you can nearly always find a good,
inconspicuous location for it.

I would also really consider the Pioneer DEX-P99RS, but as mentioned, for BT you would need to
add the separate CD-BTB200 adapter. :(

#17 ·
I also think that the classic Sony ES CDX-C910 would look great in the dash, but they're old, don't have BT,
have a horrible display (dim & hard to read in sunlight), and you'd need external amplifiers as well.
Wait, it needs to be practical too?? :laugh:

I forgot about the BT requirement. So disregard what I said.

I was holding a Mosconi Pico amp today. Could have put it in my pocket. Its small enough that you could hide a couple of them in that car.

#15 ·
I use aptx Bluetooth adapters. The phone calls come through the speakers and your phone mic (assuming it's a modern smart phone) is more than capable of hearing you with the windows down.

#16 · (Edited)
I use aptx Bluetooth adapters. The phone calls come through the speakers and your phone mic
(assuming it's a modern smart phone) is more than capable of hearing you with the windows down.

I don't think that the OP already owns the Denon HU?

But I do this in one of my vehicles as well with the Arcam rBlink (now discontinued), but I don't think
the OP's OEM HU has an AUX input or an amplifier to connect the output of the BT Receiver to, and it
looks like he isn't and doesn't want to add amplifier(s). So he would still have to install an
aftermarket single-DIN HU with an AUX Input or one of the micro-amplifiers at minimum.

I think that one or two members here might still have a Black Faceplate Denon DCT-x Head Unit which
would look great in the dash, and some of these have a rear RCA AUX input, but would require an
outboard amplifier of some sort.

#19 ·
As someone else stated not sure a high end single din radio would be much of a benefit for you. If you are just wanting the looks.... visit the different radio manifacturers (Alpine, JVC, Kenwood, Sony, Pioneer) and see what you like. I am also a Hugh Denon car audio fan, loved their stuff back in the day.....

If you do go that route or get another radio and decide you need more power there are numerous small, light and good sounding small amps that can easily be added and also removed when the day comes to move on. Many are so small/light that they do not need to be screed into the car, zip ties etc can mount the amps somewhere.

If possible, I would suggest visiting your local car audio stores to see what they have, some looks great on the companies website and are horrible to use.

#21 ·
Just being a pest here but:

what about a block-off plate (official Ferrari one?) and instead use a DSP/amp with a Bluetooth connection to directly run off a phone or tablet? It seems implausible to find an attractive radio, but this day and age you don't really need one, either.

Reactions: DavidRam
#24 ·
This is exactly what I was going to post. Seems a lot of people with older cars attempting to match the look of older HUs are choosing the Clarion M508. Of everything out there right now, it seems to fit best aesthetically.

Reactions: Notloudenuf
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.