Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
I really think some of the speakers you mentioned switching from are more impressive for their cost than their audio playback acumen but my Wilson exposure is limited but what I have heard left me questioning people’s sanity. I’ve heard the JBL M2s and they are impressive though definitely need a sub when pushed. And the 708Ps are a nice smaller speaker. Also heard the JBL 4722s (with upgraded comp driver) and they were effortless in a med size home theater room, which makes sense since they were designed for an actual theater.

I build large home theater subwoofers and I am constantly annoyed how poorly some sound engineers neuter or wreck the low frequency extension on movie soundtracks.

You are in the know then. Yes the 4722 is impressive with that beryllium comp driver. I think your criticism of the eggleston and Wilson are correct but in a slightly different context. Seems like you are a pro at multichannel and look at it from that lens. The big Wilson's and egglestons were impressive in 2 channel rooms built around them at moderate listening levels. As far as the scan speaks and dynaudios could go. Implemented to the max, then those guys who dropped a ton of cash still realized they were still listening to a 6 inch or two and a dome tweet. They weren't "Live" sounding, they couldn't boogie and Gedlee came and opened people's eyes and they realized jbl and Altec and tannoy mastered this decades ago. Then the tons of diy big driver coax kits and ob kits made way for 4429 the big heritage tannoys k2 then the pro stuff to make their way into the hardcore 2 channel guys homes.

So while you might criticize the m2 in a multichannel system it's absolutely a monster in small to medium 2 channel rooms. I'm glad they are starting to overlap though.