DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Fancy sub box build - need some ideas, plz

26K views 257 replies 28 participants last post by  DavidRam 
#1 ·
So, I have this sub and it's REALLY nice looking! Lol

I love a challenging project, so I want to build a very unusual box with uncommon materials and techniques... Think acrylic, aluminum, fiber glass, carbon fiber, pvc, etc..

I have no idea what I want to do and I'd love some wild ideas! :p

Also, I have no use for this sub when it's done so I'll either sell it or put it on display... That being said, there are NO restrictions or requirements in the design and build!!

It's one of the most beautiful subs on the market, imho. (@ToNasty, thanks for letting me shamelessly use your pictures) :p

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
That is an awesome idea! Hadn't thought of that... Maybe I can find a zebra wood type veneer and put some curves in the box.
Wood, acrylic with some polished aluminum trim?!

I like this one. Go for the acrylic see through with that subwoofer. It’s like it’s made for it.
Absolutely, this sub has to be seen, acrylic is a must for at least part of the box.

#4 ·
I like this one. Go for the acrylic see through with that subwoofer. It’s like it’s made for it.

Attachments

#6 ·
I know, how about an acrylic box with a zebra wood round and flared Port with a high gloss finish. Yeah, I’d like to see you pull that one off Dave. :D

I agree with joe, that blue thing is ugly.

#7 ·
I am not against that challenge... :p :D ... the "zebra wood round and flared port with a high gloss finish" part makes me shiver in my boots a little! Lol

I agree that the fiberglass box is hideous, it was more just an exampled of fiberglass-ing (which I have never done before).

#8 ·
David,

I think Gijoe is on the money. The acrylic allows one to see the woofer and the other build materials. I think you should include some great looking wood, aluminum/stainless, and Carbon Fiber. Do you want this to play and sound good or simply show off the woofer?

#9 ·
It's mostly for fun, but I will want the sub to play and sound "good", though looks are a priority. The sub is so good looking... I am definitely thinking along the lines of the wood-metal-cf and some acrylic to be able to see the sub.

Of course lots of lighting effects... ;) I usually go for blue LEDs, but on this one I think I'll let the materials and finishes do the talking and just give it a white light with really high K like 5,000+.

#10 ·
I like the acrylic, aluminum, wood veneer theme, a veneered port inside of an acrylic box could be really cool. I'm not really a fan of CF personally, it's a great material, but in my opinion there is nothing "classy" about it, maybe I've seen too many poorly modified cars, but bare CF looks tacky to me.

#12 ·
I like the acrylic, aluminum, wood veneer theme, a veneered port inside of an acrylic box could be really cool. I'm not really a fan of CF personally, it's a great material, but in my opinion there is nothing "classy" about it, maybe I've seen too many poorly modified cars, but bare CF looks tacky to me.
That is the most likely mix of materials... I am thinking the baffle and another window need to be acrylic, because I don't where to go to bend acrylic that is 1/2-3/4" thick! All of the curves would be in the wood veneer part. The aluminum would serve as trim pieces and design elements.

That basket is so cool looking. I would do something with it inverted, and use some futuristic metal looking contraption that its blasting into.
It's a beautiful sub, all the way around! I thought about inverting it... Hmmm, I'm trying to picture the metal contraption... It sounds cool

#13 ·
If you go this route, you can put the port on the rear wall of the box, like it's coming out of the driver. Paint it red/orange/yellow like flames. The driver kind of resembles a jet turbine. If you're into mythology, Mercury has wings on his feet for fast communication. He's "swift". Also plays into the airplane deal. The grille could be fashioned like airplane blades.

Edit: grille "blades" could be the aluminum design element.

#20 ·
I'm in to see where this goes. And gijoe's post #3 could have come out of my mouth, word for word.

If you are interested in acrylic, check out Bobby Gately. He does some really amazing enclosures using acrylic. I got to see/hold one in person at the SPL comp in Fresno and it was pretty incredible.

#26 ·
Where did you find these. These look awesome! You’re into metal fab I think. I’m seeing polished aluminum, wood accents, and acrylic with led lighting in your future. It would go well with the finishes on that subwoofer frame.

Attachments

#34 ·

Attachments

Reactions: DavidRam
#39 ·
Google "wood epoxy table"

You can mix automotive metallic paint or translucent candy, into the epoxy for some killer designs, from logos, to "river" effects.
An inlay, or a full panel for accent, in an acrylic box would look killer!
I've watched a ton of those videos, it's beautiful stuff! Actually, you just gave me an idea - I could leave a gap between the acrylic and wood and fill it with a colored epoxy. It would look cool and be the air tight joint that holds them together. Or do more if I am feeling ambitious...

What about two ports coming out of the top like dual exhaust? I'd draw a little sketch like some of you overachievers...but it's been a long day and I'm too lazy. :)
That'd look awesome! I'm a car guy through and through, so anything "car-like" is definitely cool with me!

I've worked with wood/epoxy and wood/metal inlay. It's just a classy look to me.
Those look great... Inlays are definitely a must, I love how it looks and I'd enjoy the challenge of doing that for the first time!

I'm getting kinda excited for his project!! :D

Did you look at that acrylic end table? If I cut it in half it would give me the perfect curved front for the sub (baffle and window), AND I'd have two pieces encase I ****ed one up! Lol

#45 ·
Here is the difference in FR with the 31 Hz tune vs 33.3 Hz tune. Not much difference there.

Text Line Slope Plot Pattern

#47 ·
Here is the difference in FR with the 31 Hz tune vs 33.3 Hz tune. Not much difference there.

View attachment 244325
Oops, made a mistake. That graph was actually the larger 1.8 cube box. Here is the graph for the smaller ported box comparing the 31 Hz tune with the 33.3 Hz tune.

Text Line Slope Design Pattern

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.