DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

10 inch IB Vs Sealed

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  gijoe 
#1 ·
Hey there,

I just installed an Audison Prima Forze 8.9 in my Audi A4 2013. The system is overpowering my JL Audio 10IB 8ohm. Although I'm giving the sub a 260wrms @ 4ohm, the bass is very low. Audison offers the AP1D that can be stacked to my F8.9 but it only offers 310wrms at 4ohm, so not sure it's worth the addition considering I already have 260wrms available.

So, I have 2 options here:

Buy an Infinite Baffle 10 sub at 4ohm (simple installation, no need to buy a box and I believe 260wrms should be enough to power an IB sub ?)
Buy a Sealed 10 inch sub. The box would be 0.8.

I mainly listen to rap music, so I prefer ''deeper bass''. Which option should give me the best result considering my power output (260wrms @ 4ohm) and the size of my box (0.8cu), if I were to buy one?

Thank you,

Alex

#2 ·
If it is an 8 ohm sub, you aren't giving it 260 watts, if that is the 4 ohm rating of the amp. At 8 ohms the amp will output half that power, so that's the first problem. Second, IB really needs displacement, the output of a single 10 IB isn't gong to satisfy many people. A sealed box will help as long as you find a sub that works well in the space you have, which shouldn't be an issue for a 10 and 0.8 cubic feet.

#3 ·
Your right about the ohm vs 4ohm thing. Before I had the Audison 8.9. the speaker were not given enough juice and therefore the sub still had an impression of being present. Now, its only mid. I barely hear any low.

I realise that a proper 500wrms on a 12inch would yeild good result ( as I had a bridged KS300.2 with a CDT QES-1220 back then..) but now, I don't want to frakenstein my trunk space, so 10 inch it is.

#4 ·
A 10" is fine, but for IB to work well there needs to be a really solid baffle to isolate the back wave. This usually means both a baffle behind the rear seat, and in the rear deck, regardless of which place you mount the sub. If the backwave can interact with the front wave there will be interference, and the bass will suffer. A single 10" just doesn't have enough displacement to satisfy most people if used IB. IB subs don't handle much power, because there is no enclosure to help keep the cone under control, you really need large subs, or multiple subs to really make IB work well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.