Motorcycle guys (Helmets) - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2006   #1
MrH
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 162 MrH will become famous soon enoughMrH will become famous soon enoughMrH will become famous soon enoughMrH will become famous soon enoughMrH will become famous soon enoughMrH will become famous soon enough

Default Motorcycle guys (Helmets)

Going for a Shoei 3/4 full face. Any others just as good, maybe less expensive?
MrH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2006   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 165 jperryss will become famous soon enoughjperryss will become famous soon enoughjperryss will become famous soon enoughjperryss will become famous soon enoughjperryss will become famous soon enoughjperryss will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Motorcycle guys (Helmets)

Shoei makes a nice helmet, but you pay for it!

Both of mine are HJCs and I like them. I've got a CL-14 (fullface) and an AC2 (half). I got them both for under $100, and the CL14 is DOT/Snell approved. (AC2 is DOT only). Maybe check out the AC-3, similar to mine but it's a 3/4 and is Snell approved:
http://hjchelmets.com/ac_openface.htm

If you're getting a 3/4 I'd recommend looking for one that's Snell approved (not just DOT). There was some debate last year about just how much safer a Snell approved helmet is, but the certification really means that particular model of helmet has been tested and passed, as opposed to just being DOT approved, which means "the manufacturer is pretty sure it would pass DOT certification". Also the Snell testing is much more rigorous than what DOT would ever require.

Paying $300 for a helmet will not necessarily make it safer than a cheaper helmet. Once you get into the high-dollar helmets (Shoei, Aria, etc) I think you're mostly paying for convenience and features, such as quick-change visors, more vents, changable pads, etc. I would trust a $60 Snell approved helmet over a $400 non-Snell approved model.

I'd also recommend trying some helmets on at a local shop. Every manufacturer seems to size their helmets differently.

-jperryss
jperryss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2006   #3
MrH
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 162 MrH will become famous soon enoughMrH will become famous soon enoughMrH will become famous soon enoughMrH will become famous soon enoughMrH will become famous soon enoughMrH will become famous soon enough

Crap, I meant full face, but the modular type. I will check out the HJC SYMAX, might do the trick. Thanks

Old 07-04-2006   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Finley Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 177 Finleyville will become famous soon enoughFinleyville will become famous soon enoughFinleyville will become famous soon enoughFinleyville will become famous soon enoughFinleyville will become famous soon enoughFinleyville will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jperryss
Paying $300 for a helmet will not necessarily make it safer than a cheaper helmet. Once you get into the high-dollar helmets (Shoei, Aria, etc) I think you're mostly paying for convenience and features, such as quick-change visors, more vents, changable pads, etc. I would trust a $60 Snell approved helmet over a $400 non-Snell approved model.

I'd also recommend trying some helmets on at a local shop. Every manufacturer seems to size their helmets differently.
I agree with jperryss. Although having said that I wear an Arai helmet. You MUST try each one on. Different manufactures make helmets for different sized heads. While a helmet can be expensive piece of equipment, it is a no-brainer to use one. Otherwise, you may be left with no brains!

R32: Alpine W203=>H701=>Xetec 4G600 + MBQuart4250=>Tec planar tweet + Trius mid + Adire Extremis 6.4 + Seas Lotus 10" sub Install pics
Team C.H.A.D. member #001
Finleyville is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2006   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 171 crash813 will become famous soon enoughcrash813 will become famous soon enoughcrash813 will become famous soon enoughcrash813 will become famous soon enoughcrash813 will become famous soon enoughcrash813 will become famous soon enough

Also, not sure if you were even looking or not but stay away from used helmets. Even if its guaranteed to be "perfect"....you never know. This is your life, don't be cheap.

Also, go to the local dealer and try the different brands. I could never where Shoei because the M forehead was too tight and L was too loose. HJC fit me nicely and is priced a little cheaper.

Try Dennis Kirk. I know they use to run ebay auctions on 1st quality stuff that went for really good prices, but its been awhile. Wife made me quite all the 2-wheel stuff since our daughter was born 7 years ago so I might be a little out of the current trends.

- Tommy
Planning the next system
crash813 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2006   #6

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 185 zfactor is on a distinguished roadzfactor is on a distinguished roadzfactor is on a distinguished roadzfactor is on a distinguished roadzfactor is on a distinguished road

nolan makes a real nice modular one... i had one and really liked it but normally i only use arai

saw this and had to put it here:
you cant polish a turd, but you can always chrome it! -Nasser Abo Abdo, president of audiobahn

--with enough hot glue you can install anything"
zfactor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2006   #7
MrH
DIYMA 500 Club

Went with KBC's modular instead of HJC. Metal locking points. Unfortunately I wont be needing it for quite some time now. Damn life and its little unexpected turn of events. This is how I feel about it...
Old 08-22-2006   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 165 effenay will become famous soon enougheffenay will become famous soon enougheffenay will become famous soon enougheffenay will become famous soon enougheffenay will become famous soon enougheffenay will become famous soon enough

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply, been away from the forums for awhile and still catching up. I'm a Shoei guy, but I've also owned HJC and Shark. You get what you pay for, but the law of diminishing returns is definitely at work above $300. Then again, is anything you own more valuable than your head?

Regarding flip-up full-face helmets, I remember reading somewhere that crash tests showed them to be significantly less safe than regular full-face helmets due to the hinge assembly causing damage to the head on side impacts. Just something to consider.

DRZ > PRS > PRS
CD7000 > crap factory speakers
effenay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to effenay For This Useful Post:
Chris12 (12-11-2018)
Old 08-24-2006   #9
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 166 doggboy will become famous soon enoughdoggboy will become famous soon enoughdoggboy will become famous soon enoughdoggboy will become famous soon enoughdoggboy will become famous soon enoughdoggboy will become famous soon enough

I agree with everyone else, that most helmets will protect the same, but I only wear Arai. For me they are buy far the most comfortable helmet out there.
doggboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2016   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 139 bmwpowere36m3 will become famous soon enoughbmwpowere36m3 will become famous soon enoughbmwpowere36m3 will become famous soon enoughbmwpowere36m3 will become famous soon enoughbmwpowere36m3 will become famous soon enoughbmwpowere36m3 will become famous soon enough

Full-face… I'm partial to the Shoei RF series. Started with the RF-1000, which has been great over the years. Finally upgraded to the RF-1200 and I'm just as pleased… if not more since I really wanted a pin-lok system for my new helmet.
bmwpowere36m3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to bmwpowere36m3 For This Useful Post:
Chris12 (12-11-2018)
Old 11-30-2016   #11

Rep Power: 0 P1200VB will become famous soon enoughP1200VB will become famous soon enoughP1200VB will become famous soon enoughP1200VB will become famous soon enoughP1200VB will become famous soon enoughP1200VB will become famous soon enough

Shoei makes a nice helmets.
P1200VB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2018   #12

Rep Power: 0 moodue will become famous soon enoughmoodue will become famous soon enoughmoodue will become famous soon enoughmoodue will become famous soon enoughmoodue will become famous soon enoughmoodue will become famous soon enough

I went with a Shoei after I had a head injury. (not related to riding!)

It's much more comfortable and breathable than the cheap brain guard I had before.

I was definitely hesitant to get one because of the price, but I found a previous generation helmet leftover at Cyclegear. Also, they said something like helmets that are 5 years old are basically useless.... but I thought that sounded like bullshit.

Anyway, I also wouldn't go used, but finding "last years" unused model was a good middle ground at ~$225.
moodue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2018   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 93 Lou Frasier2 will become famous soon enoughLou Frasier2 will become famous soon enoughLou Frasier2 will become famous soon enoughLou Frasier2 will become famous soon enoughLou Frasier2 will become famous soon enoughLou Frasier2 will become famous soon enough

shoei is one of the best helmets on the planets paid 800 for mine years ago when i started doing track days ,well worth the money in the comfortability alone, i never had a crash where i hit my head thankfully so i didnt get to test it out but,i used to ride with guys on the street in the canyons at somewhat of a race pace and they have crashed and hit their heads and the helmet delivered as promised,
Lou Frasier2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2018   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Slowpoke

Rep Power: 57 rob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enough

LOVE my Shoei. I have a Nolan flip-up for DS that I'm pretty fond of too, but the pads need to be replaced. The motocross helmets come in handy for Winter mountain biking - HJC there. All nice lids, but the Shoei is the hands down fave.
rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2018   #15

Rep Power: 63 audiokid1 will become famous soon enoughaudiokid1 will become famous soon enoughaudiokid1 will become famous soon enoughaudiokid1 will become famous soon enoughaudiokid1 will become famous soon enoughaudiokid1 will become famous soon enough

It's all about the shape of your dome.
I love my Shoei RF series, it has always fit well and has good ventilation.
My Shark RSR2 required a little break in time. It was initially too tight on my forehead. The Shark seems to suppress more road noise than the Shoei and has more padding around the ears.
My AGV AX-8 was an off road lid, but I recall it fitting well from day one.

I'm due for a new helmet soon and will be shopping for another Shoei if that says anything...
I mostly ride track and very little street nowadays

Avoid buying a heavy lid at all costs.
audiokid1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2018   #16

Rep Power: 14 Chris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enough

I recently bought a Bell Race Star which is pretty light with its carbon fiber shell, and Iím very happy with it.
https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/b...e-star-helmet/

As the others mentioned the Shoei RF-1200 is an excellent helmet, and itíll fit just about any riding style.

Most importantly, make sure the helmet has the most recent SNELL approval (not just DOT as other mentioned). But Iím not sure if any 3/4 or modular helmets receive the SNELL rating as the chin is unprotected.
* I recall reading that the chin is injured in a very high percentage of crashes.

The days are long, but the years are short.
Chris12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2018   #17

Rep Power: 14 Chris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enough

Okay, one more thing:

I saw someone above mentioned finding a helmet compatible with the Pinlock visor system https://pinlock.com/what-is-a-pinlock-visor/

I canít recommend this enough. Thereís nothing worse than having a fogged up visor (possibly your reason for wanting a 3/4). Iín my experience, a properly installed pinlock will eliminate fog damn near 100%. If never use another helmet without a pinlock installed.

There are other brands too. Fog city is one of them:
https://www.thevisorshop.com/Mobile/...ty/m-b-13.aspx

Invision Pro is another:
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-shield-insert

The days are long, but the years are short.
Chris12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2018   #18

Rep Power: 13 mcgsxr will become famous soon enoughmcgsxr will become famous soon enoughmcgsxr will become famous soon enoughmcgsxr will become famous soon enoughmcgsxr will become famous soon enoughmcgsxr will become famous soon enough

I still have an old (Snell 90!) Shoei GRV in Kenny Robert's colors. It's just on display now.

My brother uses BMW brand helmets that can "open the face" and is quite happy.

There was a sentiment back in the day that you either had a Shoei or Arai head. I could never get an Arai to fit right, and had 5+ Shoei's over the years so I felt it was a legit statement.

Go try some stuff on to narrow the field is my recommendation.

Mild basshead from Canada
mcgsxr is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement