Audible Physics AR3K - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2011   #1

Bikinpunk

Thanked 1,527 Times in 668 Posts
Rep Power: 26024 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

Default Audible Physics AR3K

For test setup, procedures, and information on how the data was obtained see sticky here:
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...tion-only.html
Do not ask setup questions in this thread. This thread is only for driver discussion.

To understand how to read the data, try here:
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...ion-plots.html

Driver Tested:
Audible Physics AR3K:

Impedance and T/S Parameters:

Frequency Response at 0 degrees, 3dB scale:

Frequency Response at 0, 15, 30, and 60 degrees, 5dB scale:

Harmonic Distortion at 89dB:

Harmonic Distortion at 92dB:

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html

Last edited by ErinH; 04-26-2011 at 11:30 AM..
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2011   #2
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 282 thehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud of

Default Re: Audible Physics AR3K

Pretty nice impedance curve. No hiccups or bumps there. A zobel might help flatten it out when ran all the way up.

Kevlar is a bitch to work with. It is very rigid for it's weight meaning it is hard to damp resonances within the material. You can see this in the bumpy FR...probably some energy storage going on. The main resonance was pushed way up in the FR to where it likely would not be audible or a much of a problem.

The distortion plot shows the resonances being propagated through out the distortion profile. With F3 being above F2 you might find this to sound detailed, aggresive, or have some bite in the upper midrange/lower treble. F5 is a little high in the 1-2k range which might enpart a sense of detail or fowardness in the midrange. This guy might need a tweeter around 4k if you are bothered by this.

A nice little driver with a bitch of a cone material to work with.

Your miles and experiences may vary...lol.
thehatedguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2011   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 171 SSSnake will become famous soon enoughSSSnake will become famous soon enoughSSSnake will become famous soon enoughSSSnake will become famous soon enoughSSSnake will become famous soon enoughSSSnake will become famous soon enough

Jason,

Care to hazard a guess as to what is causing the 12db peak at roughly 12khz? For a cone of this size and material is that likely to be cone breakup? It just seems to be very pronounced (much more so than what you see with paper or poly - actually pretty reminiscent of what you see on the metal cones like the Seas W15CY001). I wonder how the rigidity of the kevlar compares with a metal cone...

TO BE CLEAR - this is not a dig on the driver because as mentioned the peak is very high in freq but I am interested in the causes. When I first looked at this I thought breakup but I am by no means an expert.
SSSnake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 308 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Hearing at least two cars with these drivers in them in person they had fairly detailed sound. Actually, a little too sterile at times but two years ago that sound would have been perfect for me. I much prefered the warmth the xr3m had at this stage in my aural evolution. But still I could have without a doubt gotten them to my liking with my own tune. Good job Mark for bringing a driver in for the detail fanatics

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...Dayton HO12d4...www.caraudiojunkies.com
Hillbilly SQ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2011   #5
Upgrade Your Membership!

"Authentic to the Music"

12V Company:
Melodic Acoustic
Position:
Founder/CEO

Rep Power: 195 Melodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehatedguy View Post
Pretty nice impedance curve. No hiccups or bumps there. A zobel might help flatten it out when ran all the way up.

Kevlar is a bitch to work with. It is very rigid for it's weight meaning it is hard to damp resonances within the material. You can see this in the bumpy FR...probably some energy storage going on. The main resonance was pushed way up in the FR to where it likely would not be audible or a much of a problem.

The distortion plot shows the resonances being propagated through out the distortion profile. With F3 being above F2 you might find this to sound detailed, aggresive, or have some bite in the upper midrange/lower treble. F5 is a little high in the 1-2k range which might enpart a sense of detail or fowardness in the midrange. This guy might need a tweeter around 4k if you are bothered by this.

A nice little driver with a bitch of a cone material to work with.

Your miles and experiences may vary...lol.
You pretty much correct as this is the sound I wanted for this version of this driver.

Your correct again, dude you have no idea how hard it was to make the Kevlar sound nice and play all the way out without being to harsh that a little eqing or notch work couldn't fix it.

Once more I not the techy type and i'm still learning, But again this is what my designer said it would look like.

But most have found it to be very easy to work with and not need for a tweeter. Great post sir and Thanks for helping people understand what they see and how it relates to the sound.

Some would just see it and think the lower the better which is not true in all cases. All these driver was designed with listening and the measured. Sorry but it was

We just want two driver that was designed the same, but sound quite different. Something for everyone was the goal.

Mark Brooks
CEO/Founder
Melodic Acoustic "Authentic to the Music"
Melodic Acoustic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2011   #6
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 282 thehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud of

I would take a guess and say it is probably a cone resonance. Kevlar is a tough tough material to work with...it has little to no internal damping. It (and carbon fiber) have less internal damping than most metals.

Have I said how much of a bitch composite materials are to work with? This is a pretty good (IMO) job at a kevlar cone. Really good.
Old 04-27-2011   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 308 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Have I said how much of a bitch composite materials are to work with?
Nope, don't think you ever did

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...Dayton HO12d4...www.caraudiojunkies.com
Old 04-27-2011   #8
Upgrade Your Membership!

"Authentic to the Music"

12V Company:
Melodic Acoustic
Position:
Founder/CEO

Rep Power: 195 Melodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I would take a guess and say it is probably a cone resonance. Kevlar is a tough tough material to work with...it has little to no internal damping. It (and carbon fiber) have less internal damping than most metals.

Have I said how much of a bitch composite materials are to work with? This is a pretty good (IMO) job at a kevlar cone. Really good.
And you would be correct Jason it is a Break-up/resonance. We tested a few different Kevlar cones to get to the point we needed. It is not as bad as it it seems, it was kind of a solution.

Mark Brooks
CEO/Founder
Old 04-27-2011   #9
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

I can certainly see how you can/did use it to your advantage.
Old 04-27-2011   #10
Upgrade Your Membership!

"Authentic to the Music"

12V Company:
Melodic Acoustic
Position:
Founder/CEO

This is more like it.

Mark Brooks
CEO/Founder
Old 04-27-2011   #11
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

And guys please don't think I am saying something is bad because of this and that. Just understand what you like and use what you like. I happen to like that added bit of odd order stuff on things like acoustic guitar and classical music...I think it adds a since of realism to the music. And while there might be a bump here and there, keep in mind this is speaking in absolutes...but as we know the world doesn't work in absolutes. Chances are you may not hear any of this.
Old 04-27-2011   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Like your hearing filling in the gaps in the sound providing they're small enough?

Old 04-27-2011   #13
Upgrade Your Membership!

"Authentic to the Music"

12V Company:
Melodic Acoustic
Position:
Founder/CEO

Quote:
And guys please don't think I am saying something is bad because of this and that. Just understand what you like and use what you like. I happen to like that added bit of odd order stuff on things like acoustic guitar and classical music...I think it adds a since of realism to the music. And while there might be a bump here and there, keep in mind this is speaking in absolutes...but as we know the world doesn't work in absolutes. Chances are you may not hear any of this.
Your correct once more sir and this is one of the strongest points of the AR design.

Mark Brooks
CEO/Founder
Old 04-29-2011   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 217 cvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enough

Mark, you did a good job in the meat of the midrange with this guy. The area from 300hz to 2,500hz is especially clean. The high order distortion is even better than the low order, a proper tradeoff in speaker design. In fact, limited as such for pure midrange duty I don't see a better driver that Erin tested so far.

I figured after all the nitpicking I did with you, I should call out the strengths of the driver too. Of course, anybody can see how 2nd through 5th harmonics are roughly between -70 and -90 db (that is .03% and .003% distortion respectively). That's well outside my hearing capability.

2015 Corvette Z06 Z07:
Head: H800 + Galaxy S7 edge with AptX and optical
Amplifiers: 4,000w+ Zeff class G/H power
2way + Pro logic II steering Satori 6.5" fullrange rears
High: AMT line array;Mid: SS 25W/8567-SE 10";Low: 4x Seas L26RO4Y 10"
cvjoint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 pepperhastings will become famous soon enoughpepperhastings will become famous soon enoughpepperhastings will become famous soon enoughpepperhastings will become famous soon enoughpepperhastings will become famous soon enoughpepperhastings will become famous soon enough

I am interested in purchasing a pair of AR3K. Are any available?

Thanks,

Jason
pepperhastings is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2011   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 crm114 will become famous soon enoughcrm114 will become famous soon enoughcrm114 will become famous soon enoughcrm114 will become famous soon enoughcrm114 will become famous soon enoughcrm114 will become famous soon enough

Could I use these to replace stock Logitech Z-5500 drivers?
crm114 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012   #17
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA lurker

Rep Power: 185 Ludemandan will become famous soon enoughLudemandan will become famous soon enoughLudemandan will become famous soon enoughLudemandan will become famous soon enoughLudemandan will become famous soon enoughLudemandan will become famous soon enough

I currently have a pair of these running in my garage. They are mounted in paper coffee cups with the backs cut out. The magnet is huge and almost doesn't fit inside the cup. I have a cardboard baffle in front.

This is the best garage sound I've ever had, and better than the planars in the background. The whole vocal range up to about 2500 hz is like butter, baby. The only major EQ tweak is taming a peak at around 3500 hz, and suppressing around 800 hz a bit for tonality. The supposed 10 khz peak does not stand out. The tonality is laid back and kind of tubby, in a satisfying way. All sibilance is completely gone; if anything, S's are too quiet.

They are pretty directional in the upper end, which makes sense for a wideband. The only compromise in my garage sound running the AR3K's is that there is a definite sweet spot, which is standing in the middle of the workbench. Walk around the room and the upper end starts to disappear.

Mark, when are you going to start selling these things on the regular? As far as I know there was one introductory XR/AR blast and then they were no longer for sale. I'm starting to feel like I own a collector's item.
Ludemandan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 104 AUDIO_GOD will become famous soon enoughAUDIO_GOD will become famous soon enoughAUDIO_GOD will become famous soon enoughAUDIO_GOD will become famous soon enoughAUDIO_GOD will become famous soon enoughAUDIO_GOD will become famous soon enough

are these sstill available h audio were did u go????????????????????
AUDIO_GOD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement