Alpine H800 vs. H701 vs. Audison Bitone.1 Technical Comparison - Page 3 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011   #51
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 141 keep_hope_alive will become famous soon enoughkeep_hope_alive will become famous soon enoughkeep_hope_alive will become famous soon enoughkeep_hope_alive will become famous soon enoughkeep_hope_alive will become famous soon enoughkeep_hope_alive will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Alpine H800 vs. H701 vs. Audison Bitone.1 Technical Comparison

thanks for the review, Erin. looks like fun.

keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2011   #52
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 174 hc_TK is on a distinguished roadhc_TK is on a distinguished roadhc_TK is on a distinguished roadhc_TK is on a distinguished roadhc_TK is on a distinguished road

Post some gut pictures of the PXA-H800!

/////Alpine, Stinger, Peerless, Seas, Focal, Supra Cables
Project SQ Audi A3: https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...ead.php?t=4934
hc_TK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011   #53
S3T
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 139 S3T will become famous soon enoughS3T will become famous soon enoughS3T will become famous soon enoughS3T will become famous soon enoughS3T will become famous soon enoughS3T will become famous soon enough

The Bit1 in the optical test has pretty low THD numbers in the table, but ridiculously high distortion on the graph...

By the way, there is moderate priced A/D converter with -124db SNR from Ti
PCM4222 Evaluation Module (EVM) - PCM4222EVM - TI Tool Folder
Pretty nice solution for measurements of DACs.

Puguar 106XS
S3T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011   #54

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 255 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3T View Post
The Bit1 in the optical test has pretty low THD numbers in the table, but ridiculously high distortion on the graph...

By the way, there is moderate priced A/D converter with -124db SNR from Ti
PCM4222 Evaluation Module (EVM) - PCM4222EVM - TI Tool Folder
Pretty nice solution for measurements of DACs.
That is nice, but very expensive and an over kill. For that price you could get an EMU-0404USB that will let you test in every way under the sun and also has a high enough analog resolution on both ends to remove itself from a CD source's measured results. Call it fully featured overkill.
t3sn4f2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011   #55
S3T
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 139 S3T will become famous soon enoughS3T will become famous soon enoughS3T will become famous soon enoughS3T will become famous soon enoughS3T will become famous soon enoughS3T will become famous soon enough

I've got 3 pieces of these sitting at home (had a nice deal) - i fix/develop various DACs, and have to have a clue what am i doing with these circuits, measurements wise (sometimes you marginally hear the problem, but unable to track it down to schematics/PCB). E-MU 0404 PCI isn't good enough for the DACs i play with.

Puguar 106XS
S3T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011   #56

Bikinpunk

Thanked 1,527 Times in 668 Posts
Rep Power: 26024 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

send me one of those pieces then.

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2011   #57
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 108 deepsky will become famous soon enoughdeepsky will become famous soon enoughdeepsky will become famous soon enoughdeepsky will become famous soon enoughdeepsky will become famous soon enoughdeepsky will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAzZin View Post
Ipod Touch or Ipad + apple digital av adapter with hdmi out

Connect an hdmi -> toslink converter to hdmi out
Connect toslink to optical in on external processor
Connect ipod compatible HU to original apple 30 pin out on apple digital av adapter

You will have ipod control on HU and perfect digital out from it, few Russian guys have tested it I'm not sure that H800 will automatically switch to digital in when there's signal on it, but it works on H700.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I've tried the above with an original ipad, and you cannot get digital audio output simultaneously with control from the factory head unit. It works great, but as soon as the ipad sees the control from the 30 pin connector, it shuts off the digital audio, and only outputs through the 30 pin connector. Any ideas guys? This was going to be so cool...
deepsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2011   #58

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 255 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsky View Post
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I've tried the above with an original ipad, and you cannot get digital audio output simultaneously with control from the factory head unit. It works great, but as soon as the ipad sees the control from the 30 pin connector, it shuts off the digital audio, and only outputs through the 30 pin connector. Any ideas guys? This was going to be so cool...
Does the head unit support the iPad? If it doesn't maybe it's that. Do you have access to any other dgital av adapter compatible iDevices, to try out in the same way?
Old 08-27-2011   #59
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 108 deepsky will become famous soon enoughdeepsky will become famous soon enoughdeepsky will become famous soon enoughdeepsky will become famous soon enoughdeepsky will become famous soon enoughdeepsky will become famous soon enough

The car head unit seems to control and utilize the ipad in every other way. I was using an ipod classic, and the only other one I have is a 3rd gen ipod touch. Neither of those work with the AV adapter. I don't have any other iDevices, as I've never had a use for them before. My only reasonable hope at this point is that possibly the 4th gen ipod touch or ipad2 may behave differently. You would think the HDMI output would be live no matter what else is going on, why would this thing behave this way? Frustrated as I've got a bunch of money and time invested in this, and I'm shut down by such a stupid problem at the last minute. One thing that is interesting is that I was getting DTS audio to work through the H800, so I was pumped about that.
Old 08-27-2011   #60

Enthusiast

Quote:
The car head unit seems to control and utilize the ipad in every other way. I was using an ipod classic, and the only other one I have is a 3rd gen ipod touch. Neither of those work with the AV adapter. I don't have any other iDevices, as I've never had a use for them before. My only reasonable hope at this point is that possibly the 4th gen ipod touch or ipad2 may behave differently. You would think the HDMI output would be live no matter what else is going on, why would this thing behave this way? Frustrated as I've got a bunch of money and time invested in this, and I'm shut down by such a stupid problem at the last minute. One thing that is interesting is that I was getting DTS audio to work through the H800, so I was pumped about that.
I really hope its something with the or your iPad only. I really have high hopes for this type up setup. Like you, with an OEM head unit and aftermarket ipod controller (particularly a dice electronics media bridge).

Hey maybe you still have an option if all else fails. Assuming your head unit comes with factory ipod control, you could try an aftermarket variety and see if that one works. Doesn't cost a whole lost either.

By the way, what HDMI to S/PDIF extrator dod you go with?
Old 08-27-2011   #61
Upgrade Your Membership!

Well, I tried an ipad2, and the same thing. I'm pretty pissed at Apple right now, why the hell do you design something to NOT work? I just can't see any reason for this product if it doesn't output HDMI when you want it to. I think any cheap HDMI to VGA adapter with digital out should work, I saw some for ~30 on ebay and Amazon. Please post if anyone has any ideas or success.
Old 08-29-2011   #62
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 134 Unrealistic will become famous soon enoughUnrealistic will become famous soon enoughUnrealistic will become famous soon enoughUnrealistic will become famous soon enoughUnrealistic will become famous soon enoughUnrealistic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hc_TK View Post
Post some gut pictures of the PXA-H800!

the original opamps:

replaced with a Texas Instruments OPA1642 :-)
This is a BIG change and I am still puzzled why Alpine would place the NJM4580 opamps in this high-end processor

Quote:
I am trying this also, but I have found out that the HeadUnit switches to analogue in when selecting the iPod.
I can use my iPod with controls or via optical but not both. :-(
Currently I am working on an AI-net board to tell the H800 to switch to digital in.
Unrealistic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011   #63
Upgrade Your Membership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unrealistic View Post
I am trying this also, but I have found out that the HeadUnit switches to analogue in when selecting the iPod.
I can use my iPod with controls or via optical but not both. :-(
Currently I am working on an AI-net board to tell the H800 to switch to digital in.
This is insane, and it seems like Apple should have made the AV adapter to output HDMI all the time. There just seems to be no reason why it should work this way. Any hackers out there could get this to work?
Old 08-29-2011   #64
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 134 Unrealistic will become famous soon enoughUnrealistic will become famous soon enoughUnrealistic will become famous soon enoughUnrealistic will become famous soon enoughUnrealistic will become famous soon enoughUnrealistic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
This is insane, and it seems like Apple should have made the AV adapter to output HDMI all the time. There just seems to be no reason why it should work this way. Any hackers out there could get this to work?
I don't think this is Apple's doing.
It seems that the processor doesn't get the signal to switch the digital input on, when selecting the iPod.
Old 09-02-2011   #65
Upgrade Your Membership!

Quote:
I don't think this is Apple's doing.
It seems that the processor doesn't get the signal to switch the digital input on, when selecting the iPod.
The Alpine works fine when the ipod, it doesn't when the ipod is connected at the same time to the head unit. The AV adapter should be able to send HDMI at the same time, for some reason Apple didn't design this to work that way.
Old 09-10-2011   #66
DIYMA 500 Club

I've tested this once more and in my car and this is how it works:
The iPod is connected through an Apple HDMI connector to both the Alpine and the HDMI-toslink converter.
This way I can control the iPod and have digital out.
I have to confirm it outputs audio, but it does output light from the toslink.
(it should have HDMI signal, because when there is no HDMI signal this stays dark)
The iPod can only send audio to one device at one time, and it does it through the HDMI. Because the processor doesn't listen to optical signals you can't hear the music.

I will try more on this, using my laptop on the optical cables to confirm.
I will see if the HDMI converter outputs sound when connected.
If so, the problem is certainly the failing of the processor to switch the optical input on.

Last edited by Unrealistic; 09-10-2011 at 03:27 AM..
Old 09-10-2011   #67

Enthusiast

Quote:
I've tested this once more and in my car and this is how it works:
The iPod is connected through an Apple HDMI connector to both the Alpine and the HDMI-toslink converter.
This way I can control the iPod and have digital out.
I have to confirm it outputs audio, but it does output light from the toslink.
(it should have HDMI signal, because when there is no HDMI signal this stays dark)
The iPod can only send audio to one device at one time, and it does it through the HDMI. Because the processor doesn't listen to optical signals you can't hear the music.

I will try more on this, using my laptop on the optical cables to confirm.
I will see if the HDMI converter outputs sound when connected.
If so, the problem is certainly the failing of the processor to switch the optical input on.

Thanks for the effort Unrealistic. Can you also check that the sync between the digital devices remains in tact when the iDevice is paused or while changing tracks. This might be hard to do if testing with a CD player or something since they don't usually have a synced indicator, but an easy way to tell is if you hear a pop every time one of the above mentioned functions is used.

I know the Airport express digital output suffered from this.
Old 09-14-2011   #68
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3sn4f2 View Post
Thanks for the effort Unrealistic. Can you also check that the sync between the digital devices remains in tact when the iDevice is paused or while changing tracks. This might be hard to do if testing with a CD player or something since they don't usually have a synced indicator, but an easy way to tell is if you hear a pop every time one of the above mentioned functions is used.

I know the Airport express digital output suffered from this.

I have tested the output of my converter and it does indeed give audio via the toslink at the same time as being able to control it from the head-unit.
If I can get the processor to use a optical in, I am there!

The Airport express is compressed I read, so this would defeat the purpose?
Old 09-14-2011   #69

Enthusiast

Quote:
I have tested the output of my converter and it does indeed give audio via the toslink at the same time as being able to control it from the head-unit.
If I can get the processor to use a optical in, I am there!

The Airport express is compressed I read, so this would defeat the purpose?
-Great reaffirming news! Hope you get the other part working.

-Naw the APE is bit perfect. It might use a lossless transmission format though, but thats fine too since that would also be "bit perfect" on the receiving end.

Apple AirPort Express Wi-Fi Hub-D/A processor | Stereophile.com

"Some audiophiles have dissed the AirPort Express on the grounds that its digital output is not bit-accurate. However, I found that this was not the case, that the data appearing on the AE's digital output were identical in the original file. To check this, I compared a WAV file with a duplicate that I had captured on my PC from the AirPort Express's S/PDIF output. I used iTunes on my PowerBook playing a version of the file encoded with Apple Lossless Compression to feed data to the AE. The files were bit-for-bit identical, proving that the AirPort Express is transparent to the music data (as is ALC, for that matter)."

The Apple TV on the other hand, sample rate converts to 48kHz. I've heard though that it's transparent so they are probably doing a quality conversion with it.
Old 09-14-2011   #70
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 217 cvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enough

Killer review. I didn't know you test processors too. Speaker testing is of course more important but this is really neat. What other technical tests do you have around here Erin? I want to check them out.

I would really love to see how my P99 spanks this little gtg here.

2015 Corvette Z06 Z07:
Head: H800 + Galaxy S7 edge with AptX and optical
Amplifiers: 4,000w+ Zeff class G/H power
2way + Pro logic II steering Satori 6.5" fullrange rears
High: AMT line array;Mid: SS 25W/8567-SE 10";Low: 4x Seas L26RO4Y 10"
cvjoint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2011   #71

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvjoint View Post
Killer review. I didn't know you test processors too. Speaker testing is of course more important but this is really neat. What other technical tests do you have around here Erin? I want to check them out.

I would really love to see how my P99 spanks this little gtg here.
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...s-testing.html
Old 09-14-2011   #72
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 217 cvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thanks T3sn4f2. Indeed it kills the competition. I'm still a bit lost when it comes to headunit performance. The p99 performs audibly better than the Eclipse CD7200 I had in there before. I mean, even given the discrepancies in theses tests none of this stuff should be audible anyway. So the question is what else are we missing?

Does distortion performance change when the output voltage goes up?

Does the heatsink shielding make all the difference in a busy car dash where the ECU and other computers are going nuts?

What about when I have 31 EQ band changes made?

Erin can you test the BT sound quality? That's pretty much all I use.

To me the P99 is perfect because I can't fit a double din in this car.

2015 Corvette Z06 Z07:
Old 09-14-2011   #73

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvjoint View Post
Thanks T3sn4f2. Indeed it kills the competition. I'm still a bit lost when it comes to headunit performance. The p99 performs audibly better than the Eclipse CD7200 I had in there before. I mean, even given the discrepancies in theses tests none of this stuff should be audible anyway. So the question is what else are we missing?

Does distortion performance change when the output voltage goes up?

Does the heatsink shielding make all the difference in a busy car dash where the ECU and other computers are going nuts?

What about when I have 31 EQ band changes made?

Erin can you test the BT sound quality? That's pretty much all I use.

To me the P99 is perfect because I can't fit a double din in this car.
-These are the short falls of the RMAA software Erin and I use.

NwAvGuy: RightMark Audio Analyzer

IMHO, the differences heard in digital sources, besides noise floor performance and clipping, are due to expectation bias. I mean if this little guy can do so good, any competent device should be able to.
Old 09-14-2011   #74
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
-These are the short falls of the RMAA software Erin and I use.

NwAvGuy: RightMark Audio Analyzer

IMHO, the differences heard in digital sources, besides noise floor performance and clipping, are due to expectation bias. I mean if this little guy can do so good, any competent device should be able to.
Huge imo:
"# MAXIMUM CLEAN OUTPUT LEVEL - RMAA has no concept of absolute levels. So it can't measure voltages, power outputs, etc. So you have no way of knowing, for example, how loud that portable player or headphone amp can play without obvious distortion. You also have no way of knowing what level youíre testing it at. Is it right on the edge of clipping or is the level so low itís affected by the noise floor?

# POWER vs THD: RMAA cannot perform the classic measurement of output power versus THD. This is a standard benchmark amplifier test thatís widely performed as itís very revealing of the amplifierís behavior into various loads and various frequencies. RMAA has no way to do it nor am I aware of any other software that allows this sort of measurement with a sound card. "

Let me point to two instances where the Eclipse deck thought me that these are indeed much too important:

1. The eclipse would get a very nasty harsh onslaught of distortion in the right tweeter only with the engine on. Turn the engine off and it would be squeaky clean. This is one of those things where you can't test like this and get a real world performance glimpse. Unless I missed something these power supply noises are huge and untested for.

2. The tweeter channels would clip at unreal low levels. I'm not sure what was the deal but I had the amp gains really high and still no bueno. It was unworkable. I plugged in the P99 and I could get 10X the output without clipping with the same amp gain settings. If all these tests are at .001 V output then what are we really getting from this?

I don't mean to demean the results. Whatever the application it is a magnificent relative comparison among the decks. My concern is with the actual application of the results for people that watch these threads. I'm a lover of objective data but at the same time I've been stressing a lot lately over relative importance of one test versus the other. What are the most prevalent forms of distortion and how do we test for them? Big picture objective tests are the money.

2015 Corvette Z06 Z07:
Old 09-14-2011   #75

Bikinpunk

Thanked 1,527 Times in 668 Posts
Rep Power: 26024 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

Agreed

That's why I note where the volume is on the decks and let the user use some of their own logic to figure how worthwhile the data is.

I should have provided measured preout voltage.

At the same time, what you get is a direct one to one. If the card input clips at 1v, all the tests are done at 1v. Been a while since I did the dBu conversion to voltage of this card. You guys are more than welcome to, though. I can say that no units output was driven in to clipping. I test them all with a scope and the same 1khz tone before I use RMAA.

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement