Alpine H800 vs. H701 vs. Audison Bitone.1 Technical Comparison - Page 4 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2011   #76
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 134 Unrealistic will become famous soon enoughUnrealistic will become famous soon enoughUnrealistic will become famous soon enoughUnrealistic will become famous soon enoughUnrealistic will become famous soon enoughUnrealistic will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Alpine H800 vs. H701 vs. Audison Bitone.1 Technical Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3sn4f2 View Post
Can you also check that the sync between the digital devices remains in tact when the iDevice is paused or while changing tracks.
I have made a recording of the sound from the toslink and I cannot hear any plops or glitches. The light stays on and the music just pauses and skips to the next track. I haven't heard it 'LIVE' because my macbook doesn't output the input through to the speakers, but using a sound recording program I can test this.

Quote:
-Naw the APE is bit perfect. It might use a lossless transmission format though, but thats fine too since that would also be "bit perfect" on the receiving end.
Ok. I didn't know that.
sadly this doesn't solve my problem...
Good people are still testing this themselves.
I've read a lot of #@%! but most people won't find out the truth by really testing and seeing what happens!
Unrealistic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2011   #77

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 255 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unrealistic View Post
I have made a recording of the sound from the toslink and I cannot hear any plops or glitches. The light stays on and the music just pauses and skips to the next track. I haven't heard it 'LIVE' because my macbook doesn't output the input through to the speakers, but using a sound recording program I can test this.
Sounds like it does maintain sync, you'd definitely hear an obvious sound if it lost it. You could probably reproduce it by killing the power to the hdmi-spdif extractor while playing a solid bass tone. On my PC speakers, it sounds like an amp turn on/off thump. But yeah it sounds like it won't be an issue.

Mind if I ask which extractor specifically are you using. Just in case it is it which is keeping sync going. I wanna know of one that works for sure for future reference.

Thanks again for the efforts.
t3sn4f2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2011   #78
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 134 Unrealistic will become famous soon enoughUnrealistic will become famous soon enoughUnrealistic will become famous soon enoughUnrealistic will become famous soon enoughUnrealistic will become famous soon enoughUnrealistic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Mind if I ask which extractor specifically are you using. Just in case it is it which is keeping sync going. I wanna know of one that works for sure for future reference.
It is a cheap chinese one from DealExtreme:
1080p 4-Port HDMI Input to HDMI + Optical/Coaxial Audio Output Converter (100~240V AC) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Quote:
Thanks again for the efforts.
no problems; I am glad there are more people trying to get there Alpine / radio to do what they want!

Old 09-15-2011   #79

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 255 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

Quote:
I remember seeing that one when I was looking around. But I wondered about the power button on the remote since it would need to come one to the right configuration from just a power up cycle. How's it funtion in that sense? Can you just plug it in and start getting audio without touching anything else.

Also, here's a little tip. Digital sync sometimes needs to happen in the order of source first then on down the component line. If you ever have any issues with digital artifacts on the H800, then you might want to try turning off the extractor and H800 while leaving the ipad and av adapter enabled. Then turn on the extractor and finally the H800. If that helps then some type of delayed triggering mod would need to be in place.

And for anyone using an iPhone or ipod in a car dock that is removed each time you leave the car. I guess you would have to build a manually resetting delayed trigger to restart the devices IF you mount the pod in after turning the system. Or cycle the power with the keys since in that case the pod would remain on and the rest would cycle.
Old 09-15-2011   #80
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
I remember seeing that one when I was looking around. But I wondered about the power button on the remote since it would need to come one to the right configuration from just a power up cycle. How's it funtion in that sense? Can you just plug it in and start getting audio without touching anything else.
I haven't used the remote yet.
It is for switching the input from 1-4, but it always starts up at nr 1.
I also bought a switched 3A 5V power supply chip from de.com and I just plug it in.
It starts up and the iPod (Touch 64G) finds it and switches to the hdmi output.
Old 09-17-2011   #81
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 108 deepsky will become famous soon enoughdeepsky will become famous soon enoughdeepsky will become famous soon enoughdeepsky will become famous soon enoughdeepsky will become famous soon enoughdeepsky will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I've tested this once more and in my car and this is how it works:
The iPod is connected through an Apple HDMI connector to both the Alpine and the HDMI-toslink converter.
This way I can control the iPod and have digital out.
I have to confirm it outputs audio, but it does output light from the toslink.
(it should have HDMI signal, because when there is no HDMI signal this stays dark)
The iPod can only send audio to one device at one time, and it does it through the HDMI. Because the processor doesn't listen to optical signals you can't hear the music.

I will try more on this, using my laptop on the optical cables to confirm.
I will see if the HDMI converter outputs sound when connected.
If so, the problem is certainly the failing of the processor to switch the optical input on.
If it works in your car, that's great. It most definitely does not work in my 2011 Infiniti, and I would guess most likely other Nissan vehicles as well. There does not seem to be any reason the Apple AV adapter shouldn't work in my case, but it doesn't. Very disappointing. The moral here is don't expect this to work in every case.
deepsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2011   #82

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsky View Post
If it works in your car, that's great. It most definitely does not work in my 2011 Infiniti, and I would guess most likely other Nissan vehicles as well. There does not seem to be any reason the Apple AV adapter shouldn't work in my case, but it doesn't. Very disappointing. The moral here is don't expect this to work in every case.
You can try using an aftermarket OEM ipod integration device like a Dice media bridge. It connects to the idevice via USB and also lets you control it from the idevice native control and the head unit at the same time (although limited to basic functionality when in this config).

Might be worth a shot for someone who really want to go this route.

And for anyone that is really adventurous. You could always take the mediabridge apart and try to tap into the digital stream somewhere on the board. That would save you the money in the av adapter and sdpif converter. You would however need another adapter to go from that circuit board format to spdif.

Maybe a minidsp minidigi which adds the ASRC chip to clean up any problem that might(?) be there with this setup.
Old 01-11-2012   #83
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 122 thechainrule will become famous soon enoughthechainrule will become famous soon enoughthechainrule will become famous soon enoughthechainrule will become famous soon enoughthechainrule will become famous soon enoughthechainrule will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsky View Post
Well, I tried an ipad2, and the same thing. I'm pretty pissed at Apple right now, why the hell do you design something to NOT work? I just can't see any reason for this product if it doesn't output HDMI when you want it to. I think any cheap HDMI to VGA adapter with digital out should work, I saw some for ~30 on ebay and Amazon. Please post if anyone has any ideas or success.
I tried with a cheapo VGA to Optical unit from amazon. No such luck from my android tablet. I have not tried with an Ipad2.

Has anyone gotten anything to work? Im trying to go Tablet to Bitone via hdmi to optical somehow.
thechainrule is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012   #84
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 anson cao will become famous soon enoughanson cao will become famous soon enoughanson cao will become famous soon enoughanson cao will become famous soon enoughanson cao will become famous soon enoughanson cao will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Ok. I didn't know that.
sadly this doesn't solve my problem...
Good people are still testing this themselves.
I've read a lot of #@%! but most people won't find out the truth by really testing and seeing what happens!
now have you solv the problem?
anson cao is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012   #85
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by anson cao View Post
now have you solv the problem?
No, sadly not.
I have tried an iPad in my car, but eventually I switched over to a car-pc.
This give me 300GB+ lossless music and works like a charm.
Old 03-24-2012   #86
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 dimsav will become famous soon enoughdimsav will become famous soon enoughdimsav will become famous soon enoughdimsav will become famous soon enoughdimsav will become famous soon enoughdimsav will become famous soon enough

So,to summ up there is no way yet to control simultanously the ipod from an alpine HU and feed optical data to the H800 ?The only way i quess is to feed ipod optically to H800 on its own and control it by itself.Has anyone tried the above setup pioneer odr and ipod > apple av adapter hdmi to toslink > odr RS P70/90/99x and see if it works?
Unrealistic what's your car pc specs and setup?
dimsav is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012   #87
DIYMA 500 Club

I think it is possible, but not easy.
I've looked into the I10 control board to control the H800 via AI-net but this project has no support.
The optical connection works fine from both my Ipad2 and iPod Touch4 but I want the control from the headunit.

Currently I have a M350 case with a M2 ATX powersupply and an Atom board + processor, running W7 with CentraFuse.
Resume from hibernate takes less than 30 seconds.
Old 04-05-2012   #88
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 dimsav will become famous soon enoughdimsav will become famous soon enoughdimsav will become famous soon enoughdimsav will become famous soon enoughdimsav will become famous soon enoughdimsav will become famous soon enough

Does anyone know if H800 is cabable of 24bit/48khz file reproduction through optical in ,when fed digitally from an ipod? Also,as lower budget alternative which would have better sq h100 or h700?
Old 04-06-2012   #89
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimsav View Post
Does anyone know if H800 is cabable of 24bit/48khz file reproduction through optical in ,when fed digitally from an ipod? Also,as lower budget alternative which would have better sq h100 or h700?
I have fed my H800 every sort of signal from the PC, eg 44khz, 48kHz and 192khz and it just plays it.
Other than the Windows setting I cannot see if it is really that format outputted to the processor.

The H100 is newer, but also cheaper and lacks channels to play 4-way active.
Old 04-06-2012   #90
DIYMA 500 Club

Yes obviously you cannot tell what really happens(i believe it receives a pure digital signal ).But my worry is if an ipod with alac 24bit/48khz send the signal to ipure 20,project audio digital dock etc and then to the optical in of the H800 IF that signal would be reproduced?
Also ,regarding the h100 vs h700 sound qualitysince it is newer have they improved bugs of the h700,only a test comparison can turn on the light.
Old 04-06-2012   #91

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimsav View Post
Yes obviously you cannot tell what really happens(i believe it receives a pure digital signal ).But my worry is if an ipod with alac 24bit/48khz send the signal to ipure 20,project audio digital dock etc and then to the optical in of the H800 IF that signal would be reproduced?
Also ,regarding the h100 vs h700 sound qualitysince it is newer have they improved bugs of the h700,only a test comparison can turn on the light.
A question before I comment. Where are these 24/48 files coming from? Something you recorded or recorded and down-sampled to that? Some uncommon store bought track in that format? A CD track that you re-sampled to kHz and added 8bits to? I say add because from an output standpoint, the file is the same bit wise as a 16bit file. Might the receiving DSP like 24bit better than 16bit? Dunno and can't say without testing that analog output from that device.
Old 04-06-2012   #92
DIYMA 500 Club

The files of 24/48khz resolution is the
Max resolution that an iPod can play. The files are some albums downloaded with this resolution or albums with higher resolution 24/96 downsampled/converted to 24/48. There is audible difference
Old 04-06-2012   #93
DIYMA 500 Club

That's why I want to make sure these files can be reproduced digitally direct
Old 06-01-2013   #94
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 130 soundboy will become famous soon enoughsoundboy will become famous soon enoughsoundboy will become famous soon enoughsoundboy will become famous soon enoughsoundboy will become famous soon enoughsoundboy will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to soundboy

How wins over this ?

1. W910R - H701

2. DVA 9965R - H701

In optical connect run from CD part..

Will signal from RCA to amp still be the same as from both dsp?

Car:
Sony XES - Z50 /H50 / F50 / "sub?" / 2x M50 / "sub amp?"

Home:
APL Hi-Fi DSD-M + DTR-M, Hegel H200, B&W 803S
soundboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2013   #95

Rep Power: 0 car_audio_fanatic will become famous soon enoughcar_audio_fanatic will become famous soon enoughcar_audio_fanatic will become famous soon enoughcar_audio_fanatic will become famous soon enoughcar_audio_fanatic will become famous soon enoughcar_audio_fanatic will become famous soon enough

H800 looks like a promising unit
car_audio_fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014   #96

Rep Power: 0 car_audio_fanatic will become famous soon enoughcar_audio_fanatic will become famous soon enoughcar_audio_fanatic will become famous soon enoughcar_audio_fanatic will become famous soon enoughcar_audio_fanatic will become famous soon enoughcar_audio_fanatic will become famous soon enough

I am having a problem with my H800, it doesn't seem to want to use the fiber from my S690 changer or W205 headunit. The tech support guy at Alpine said if the Ai Net was connected, that everything would go thru the AI net except the DVD dolby stuff because it was digital, I guess he considered CD's as an analog source. When I try to set the inputs, the digital inputs are grayed out. Everyone else I have talked to is not having this problem. Maybe Jim Walter or someone can help out with this one.
car_audio_fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2014   #97
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 165 cmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_audio_fanatic View Post
I am having a problem with my H800, it doesn't seem to want to use the fiber from my S690 changer or W205 headunit. The tech support guy at Alpine said if the Ai Net was connected, that everything would go thru the AI net except the DVD dolby stuff because it was digital, I guess he considered CD's as an analog source. When I try to set the inputs, the digital inputs are grayed out. Everyone else I have talked to is not having this problem. Maybe Jim Walter or someone can help out with this one.
The digital output of the W205 needs to be turned on. Look on page 37 of the W205 manual: http://vault.alpine-usa.com/products...-W205%20OM.PDF

I had a 7990, S680, and H900 a few years ago and when I turned on the digital output on in the 7990, it turned the S680's digital output on too. Maybe the same will work with your S690 changer.
cmusic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2015   #98
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 jwbr71 will become famous soon enoughjwbr71 will become famous soon enoughjwbr71 will become famous soon enoughjwbr71 will become famous soon enoughjwbr71 will become famous soon enoughjwbr71 will become famous soon enough

Hi. ErinH. I know this in an old post, but i need to ask you about the w505-h800 setup.

I am still using my 505 and h701, and love it, but i am impressed with the numbers of the h800 from your test.

I actually can control all the h701 functions from the 505, and want to know if all functions of the h800 can be controled by the 505, or if it is necessary to use the alpine controller (rux-c800) or pc to control the h800 settings anyway.

Please describe how work the 505-h800 setup, and show some pictures i you have them.

Thanks.
jwbr71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement