MiniDSP: An excellent alternative! - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2010   #26
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 368 bbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: MiniDSP: An excellent alternative!

As they say in Down Under, "You're On It, Blue Bonnet", lol! or "'Good on ya, mate!"

DOH! Thanks for the speedy response and hand-holding. I scanned the site too quickly! You're absolutely right, most of the Answers were already there!

Whhhhaaaaaaatt!!?? No changes to your car anymore? What if I send you a case of "5-Hour Energy", lol?

Once you get started...
bbfoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2010   #27
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 153 gunn234 will become famous soon enoughgunn234 will become famous soon enoughgunn234 will become famous soon enoughgunn234 will become famous soon enoughgunn234 will become famous soon enoughgunn234 will become famous soon enough

Awesome review of all the functions.

While it may be premature, is there any consensus about the sound quality from the usage up to this point?
gunn234 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2010   #28
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 158 wdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for sharing this product and the review. I'm in the market for a processor and I was going to get a h701, but I think that may change.
wdemetrius1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010   #29
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 183 el_chupo_ has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupo_ has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupo_ has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupo_ has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupo_ has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupo_ has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupo_ has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupo_ has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupo_ has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupo_ has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupo_ has a reputation beyond repute

Erin - maybe a dumb question because I missed it - It is USB powered, one USB input, and you are using the adapter to power it. I assume this to be that when you want to tune you unplug it from the power adapter, plug it into the laptop (which powers the USB) and make your changes, then unplug it an put it back in the adapter, which then powers it again?

Is there another way to power the unit, other than USB? If not, it seems this would require a HTPC set up in house to work - or a phone charger adapter or something. Or is there some kind of other power adapter as well?

Thanks
el_chupo_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2010   #30

Bikinpunk

Thanked 1,072 Times in 509 Posts
Rep Power: 26017 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_chupo_ View Post
I assume this to be that when you want to tune you unplug it from the power adapter, plug it into the laptop (which powers the USB) and make your changes, then unplug it an put it back in the adapter, which then powers it again?
Yep, that's how I chose to do it for simplicity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_chupo_ View Post
Is there another way to power the unit, other than USB?
Yes, you can hardwire it as mentioned in some part of my novel.

The board comes with the female adapter end. It's a 20 pin type socket IIRC. You can order the male adapter, wire into the male adapter, and have a plug-in harness.

They actually have a tech note on this very thing on their website:
http://www.minidsp.com/images/docume...ernal%20DC.pdf

I highly suggest everyone look at this tech note page to see the other things they discuss:
MiniDSP - Downloads

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2010   #31
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 183 el_chupo_ has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupo_ has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupo_ has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupo_ has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupo_ has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupo_ has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupo_ has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupo_ has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupo_ has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupo_ has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupo_ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post

I highly suggest everyone look at this tech note page to see the other things they discuss:
MiniDSP - Downloads
Why? You can spoon feed me, right?
el_chupo_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2010   #32
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 158 wdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enough

How much was shipping from Hong Kong?
Old 05-01-2010   #33

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 26017 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

I only paid $35. I'm sure it varies, though.

Time Delay Calculator:
Old 05-01-2010   #34
DIYMA 500 Club

Thanks.
Old 05-01-2010   #35

Bikinpunk

PLEASE READ:

Just as an FYI, for anyone who wants to copy what I've written in this review and paste it on another site, I would at least like the credit when you link it. You don't have to provide a linkback, just give credit to the author.

It's not like I think I'm king shit because I can type. It's that I spent 2.5 hours typing this stuff up, taking pictures, and trying to document the steps and my thoughts on it. Copying and pasting my write-up without at least giving me credit, in my opinion, is kind of crappy. Just sayin'.

*you know who you are. I will not discuss the matter any further.*

- Erin

Daddy Just Hit Mommy, Dane Cook: Retaliation, Dane Cook, Comedy, Sound Bite

Time Delay Calculator:
Old 05-01-2010   #36
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 155 crux131 will become famous soon enoughcrux131 will become famous soon enoughcrux131 will become famous soon enoughcrux131 will become famous soon enoughcrux131 will become famous soon enoughcrux131 will become famous soon enough

It is just common courtesy after all.

Thanks for the write up and all the work and research on this product Bikinpunk.

"Just ring the F'ing bell you Panzy!"
crux131 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2010   #37
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 120 MaXius will become famous soon enoughMaXius will become famous soon enoughMaXius will become famous soon enoughMaXius will become famous soon enoughMaXius will become famous soon enoughMaXius will become famous soon enough

So from what I can tell, if you were looking to make up a simple little T/A box, you'd get two of these modules, plus the plugin software?

(Based on my understanding of 2 inputs in, 4 out, so you'd only use 2 outs on each module)

A very attractive option...
MaXius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2010   #38

12V Company:
Do work
Position:
M.E.C.P certified

Rep Power: 0 tinctorus will become famous soon enoughtinctorus will become famous soon enoughtinctorus will become famous soon enoughtinctorus will become famous soon enoughtinctorus will become famous soon enoughtinctorus will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to tinctorus

Damn these things seem to be really sweet, Especially at THAT price point... I think I may have to give one of these a shot and make a nice little plexiglass box for it
tinctorus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2010   #39

Bikinpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXius View Post
So from what I can tell, if you were looking to make up a simple little T/A box, you'd get two of these modules, plus the plugin software?

(Based on my understanding of 2 inputs in, 4 out, so you'd only use 2 outs on each module)

A very attractive option...

Why would you think you could only use two outputs?

When you say "t/a box", are you talking only about time alignment?

This thing does 4-way out. There's 4 channels. Each channel has t/a and other features.

Time Delay Calculator:
Old 05-07-2010   #40
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 127 coronamike will become famous soon enoughcoronamike will become famous soon enoughcoronamike will become famous soon enoughcoronamike will become famous soon enoughcoronamike will become famous soon enoughcoronamike will become famous soon enough

bikinpunk,

Thank you for the excellent write up. As a newbie this seems simple enough to setup. I've been wanting to go active for a long time but other options seemed to costly or too complicated. I will be starting with a simple 2 way set-up so I will only need one unit.
coronamike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2010   #41
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 143 mSaLL150 will become famous soon enoughmSaLL150 will become famous soon enoughmSaLL150 will become famous soon enoughmSaLL150 will become famous soon enoughmSaLL150 will become famous soon enoughmSaLL150 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to mSaLL150

I'm a little confused (and I know you're probably tired of all the questions but my curiosity is killing me). I have the 880prs running a 2-way+sub system. Say I run the RCA from the "mid" on the prs network to one of these little miniDSP guys, could I effectively use and tune both a midrange and midbass from the miniDSP and tune the tweeter/sub from the 880prs? If so, my move to a 4-way system just got about $500 cheaper.

Thanks for the awesome writeup!!

2013 Focus ST - In Progress! - MyFordTouch - Audison - Phoenix Gold - Scanspeak - Dayton - Stereo Integrity
mSaLL150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2010   #42

Bikinpunk

without putting much effort into thinking about it... yes. you should be able to.

Time Delay Calculator:
Old 05-07-2010   #43
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 169 cubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to cubdenno

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronamike View Post
bikinpunk,

Thank you for the excellent write up. As a newbie this seems simple enough to setup. I've been wanting to go active for a long time but other options seemed to costly or too complicated. I will be starting with a simple 2 way set-up so I will only need one unit.
My guess is, each unit has a delay of signal in processing signal out. It's why Andy W of JBL says you need to let the MS8 do bass management. because of the delay.

So your pioneer has a delay due to processing, the Mini most likely has a delay as well. It may or may not make a difference. Especially when you daisy chain processing units of different manufacturers.

It is very easy to conflate cause and effect that are unrelated in audio design. In fact, the entire audiophile industry is based upon this ease of fallacy.

"Heck yeah you can spend more to get the same sound."
cubdenno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2010   #44

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 251 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubdenno View Post
My guess is, each unit has a delay of signal in processing signal out. It's why Andy W of JBL says you need to let the MS8 do bass management. because of the delay.

So your pioneer has a delay due to processing, the Mini most likely has a delay as well. It may or may not make a difference. Especially when you daisy chain processing units of different manufacturers.
Should make a huge difference since the delay is on top of whatever the head unit takes to do its DSP.

MiniDSP - Latency - MiniDSP

"Merrick,

Latency indeed depends on the plug-in that is loaded and the filters enabled as you correctly pointed it out. 1.09ms is for the stereo 2 way, including ADC/DAC path.

The latency is indeed fixed once the filter enabled. You could expect that by enabling LR filter (4th order) you would get up to 2.5ms or so once again from ADC to DAC.

Hope this makes sense,

miniDSP Dev Team"

2.5ms= 33 inches

Edit: Although, if you can delay the tweeter and sub channel by that amount and still have enough delay headroom for the normal T/A'ing, you can put all outputs back in line with each other.

Last edited by t3sn4f2; 05-07-2010 at 11:17 AM..
t3sn4f2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2010   #45

Bikinpunk

If you're talking numbers only, then I agree, you have a problem. But, since you're setting up time delay on a relative scale based on what you hear, I don't see the issue. At the end of the day, you're going to make changes to your system so that you get the desired result. The overall delay of one component will not effect this because you're tuning manually. The only problem I would see is if the initial delay was so far beyond what the other outputs were capable of matching, that you would never be able to sync drivers up. Ie: Your headunit delays your midrange/midbass by 30ms, and your other source of DSP doesn't have the ability to 'catch up' to this. This isn't the case here, though.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see an issue here.

Time Delay Calculator:
Old 05-08-2010   #46

Bikinpunk

Since I'm starting up a home audio project I decided to bring the miniDSP inside the house and set it up in my computer room. The future setup will be a set of bookshelves... yadda yadda.
Just wanted to share a quick 'enclosure' I made for this with some scrap perforated aluminum and ABS plastic.

And a couple shots of the computer room setup with my new adcom four channel that will be used to power the bookshelves. the miniDSP will be used as the 4-way splitter so I can figure out what crossover and levels works best for that setup.
So, beyond being great for the car, it's a dang cheap way to test drivers before building the passive crossovers.

Time Delay Calculator:
Old 05-08-2010   #47
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 368 bbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond repute

Sweet! It looks like it'll be a nice setup. Love the perf alum. Paint all of the hardware black ftw. I also love your monitor stand. I've got one just like it.
But no DIY bookshelf speaks?!? I'm confused, son. I'm sure they'll be coming soon enough.

Pick yourself up a "Logitech Lighted Keyboard". It'll go perfect with the rest of your setup and it's the best keyboard you will EVER use! I've tried them all, including all of the Mac k'boards. The Logitech has White LED backlit keys with 3 levels of brightness or you can turn them off. But that's not why I bought it. It has the best feeling key action you will ever try. It's also sealed and very durable. Thought I suggest it since you do A LOT of typing on here, lol. Trust me, you'll love it as much as your 12M's. It's got the heft of the SS build quality as well. Just get one. Your fingers and hands will love you, haha.

We need to talk about your wiring skilz, tho! Haha. Clean that up, boy.
bbfoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010   #48
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 92 bassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Since I'm starting up a home audio project I decided to bring the miniDSP inside the house and set it up in my computer room. The future setup will be a set of bookshelves... yadda yadda.
Just wanted to share a quick 'enclosure' I made for this with some scrap perforated aluminum and ABS plastic.

And a couple shots of the computer room setup with my new adcom four channel that will be used to power the bookshelves. the miniDSP will be used as the 4-way splitter so I can figure out what crossover and levels works best for that setup.
So, beyond being great for the car, it's a dang cheap way to test drivers before building the passive crossovers.

Or no passive at all.
bassfromspace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010   #49

Bikinpunk

Exactly.

I'm planning on picking up a miniDIGI at some point down the line, too. I'd really like to stack a miniDIGI and 2 miniAMPs. That would be a sweet little setup, but the drivers I use all require more than I can get out of a miniamp. At least in regards to using them in a listening room where I'm further away from the speakers, which is a project I hope to start on early Fall.

Time Delay Calculator:
Old 05-08-2010   #50
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 92 bassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Exactly.

I'm planning on picking up a miniDIGI at some point down the line, too. I'd really like to stack a miniDIGI and 2 miniAMPs. That would be a sweet little setup, but the drivers I use all require more than I can get out of a miniamp. At least in regards to using them in a listening room where I'm further away from the speakers, which is a project I hope to start on early Fall.
Maybe a miniDSP and 2 miniAMPs per speaker in an open baffle or high efficiency setup.
bassfromspace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement