Upgrading sound system in '09 Yamaha 232 Limited S - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1

Rep Power: 0 merlinjet will become famous soon enoughmerlinjet will become famous soon enoughmerlinjet will become famous soon enoughmerlinjet will become famous soon enoughmerlinjet will become famous soon enoughmerlinjet will become famous soon enough

Default Upgrading sound system in '09 Yamaha 232 Limited S

Hi folks, new the forum and I'm coming out of the chocks with a few questions. I'm upgrading a 2009 232 Limited S with a new sound system. Here's my equipment list:

2 x Kicker 6.5" (65 watts RMS)
4 x Kicker 8" (2 in the cabin, 2 in tower cans) (150 watts RMS}
1 x Kicker 10" Freeair Sub (175 watts RMS)
Kenwood KMR-M325BT w/KCA-R55MR remote control
2 x Polk D4000.4 or 1x Rockville RXM8BTB 8 Channel Amplifier

https://www.polkaudio.com/products/pad4000
https://www.rockvilleaudio.com/rxm8btb/

Since I'm a noob at this, I have some basic questions:
What's the general consensus on this equipment list?
How would I configure the amp(s) to the speakers to get the best output?
For those of you that have put cans on a 232 Limited tower, is this in the "too hard to do" category from a wiring perspective?

Any input would be welcome. I don't really know my a$$ from third base about audio installation but want to give it a go.

Last edited by merlinjet; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:32 PM..
merlinjet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 145 nittanylion64 will become famous soon enoughnittanylion64 will become famous soon enoughnittanylion64 will become famous soon enoughnittanylion64 will become famous soon enoughnittanylion64 will become famous soon enoughnittanylion64 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Upgrading sound system in '09 Yamaha 232 Limited S

I think what you have picked out looks pretty good. The only question I would have is on the Rockville. Although, this is a different model, Williston did test this amp on his https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hs6clPmqc0&t=595s YouTube channel.
As far as install, I have worked on other boats and have found them almost more fun than cars. I would put some kind of switch for the audio system to make sure everything is dead for when it gets stored for a long time---https://www.bluesea.com/products/599...d_Mount_Switch
Just make sure everything is really secured down.
nittanylion64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3

Rep Power: 0 merlinjet will become famous soon enoughmerlinjet will become famous soon enoughmerlinjet will become famous soon enoughmerlinjet will become famous soon enoughmerlinjet will become famous soon enoughmerlinjet will become famous soon enough

Thx for the feedback. Good Idea about the turn off switch. If I went with the two 4 channels, what would be the best way to connect the speakers? The more I think about it the more I think I may need a 6 channel for the cabin set up (2 x 8", 2 x 6.5 and 10" sub) and a 2 channel for the tower 8's. Ideas?

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 145 nittanylion64 will become famous soon enoughnittanylion64 will become famous soon enoughnittanylion64 will become famous soon enoughnittanylion64 will become famous soon enoughnittanylion64 will become famous soon enoughnittanylion64 will become famous soon enough

That amplifier setup with a 6 channel, or maybe a 4 channel and 2 channel may be better. You can turn the tower 8 amp off independently that way. The tower speakers always seem to get so loud really quickly, it would be hard to get it to balance with the cabin speakers.
The one thing about boats, in my experience, I liked was the chance for a ground loop is minimal. Everything is grounded to the same spot!
Good Luck!
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5

Yep, I had noticed the overriding effect of tower speakers on other folk's boats before and had hoped to isolate them on mine. How would you run the four cabin speakers and sub on one 4 channel?
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

I believe you could run all of those speakers off the one amp, if they are all 2 ohm. You could bridge the 6.5 on the first 2 channels and then run sub off the other 2 channels. I don't know if that amp can run 2 ohm on 2 channels, and 4 ohm on the others.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7

The speakers are all 4 ohms and the amp is 4-2 ohms stable...would that work? I'm looking at a Exile Javelin 5 channel now.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanylion64 View Post
I believe you could run all of those speakers off the one amp, if they are all 2 ohm. You could bridge the 6.5 on the first 2 channels and then run sub off the other 2 channels. I don't know if that amp can run 2 ohm on 2 channels, and 4 ohm on the others.

I think I'm going to try the Exile Javelin with their Zone Controller Preamp. The preamp mated to their Bluetooth receiver basically eliminates the need for the new HU. I be wiring using the diagram in the link attached (fifth one down). Will I be able wire the cabin 8's and 6.5's as they depict?

https://www.bakesonline.com/images/M...ring_guide.pdf
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Holy smokes-That amp is pretty versatile! With that dual zone controller, that amp and your set up should be pretty dang good. The one thing you will have to make sure, is that the tower speakers and sub are 2 OHM. When you bridge the other speakers down, they will be 2 OHM. That will have them matching the OHMs and be able to run everything. Keep it ventilated!
The Following User Says Thank You to nittanylion64 For This Useful Post:
merlinjet (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanylion64 View Post
Holy smokes-That amp is pretty versatile! With that dual zone controller, that amp and your set up should be pretty dang good. The one thing you will have to make sure, is that the tower speakers and sub are 2 OHM. When you bridge the other speakers down, they will be 2 OHM. That will have them matching the OHMs and be able to run everything. Keep it ventilated!
Thanks, nittanylion64! Just looking at the 2000.2 specs it says: 125 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms, so shouldn't they be 4 ohm? Also, for the 5000.5, the amp has a separate sub line in and output jacks and, as best I can tell, will run a 4 ohm sub (200w x 1 at 4 ohms). Am I reading this correctly?

https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Im...7PAD5K5_DL.PDF

https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Im...7PAD2K2_DL.PDF
Old 1 Week Ago   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinjet View Post
Thanks, nittanylion64! Just looking at the 2000.2 specs it says: 125 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms, so shouldn't they be 4 ohm? Also, for the 5000.5, the amp has a separate sub line in and output jacks and, as best I can tell, will run a 4 ohm sub (200w x 1 at 4 ohms). Am I reading this correctly?
Just looking back I think I left out some new info...

Settling in on reality here, I've come up with a new 2 amp plan:

Replace existing Seaworthys with Kicker 6.5"s in the cabin and bow and add the Kicker IB Sub. These would all be powered by a Polk 5000.5 amp.

Add 2 x Kicker 8" cans to the tower powered by a Polk 2000.2 amp.

All these controlled from an Exile ZLD 3 zone controller with BT receiver. This makes the replacing the HU/remote a waste of time and money.

The Kicker 8" replacement I planned for the rear cabin 6.5"s became a real pain trying to match amps to their power demand (150w) and integrate them with the bow 6'5"s as a zone. So, I'm going the KISS route and sticking with 6.5"s for now all around; will add 2 more 6.5"s midship next year, maybe. Now I'll have 3 zones; cabin, tower, sub, all managed from the ZLD. All this comes in right about at my budget...includes some refurb stuff from Polk but I'm OK with that.
Better plan?
Old 1 Week Ago   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

That sounds like a both, loud and great sounding system! Should be fun to install as well. Take some pics!
The Following User Says Thank You to nittanylion64 For This Useful Post:
merlinjet (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #13

Will do! Trying to decide now if I want to attempt my own speaker hole drilling or pay a pro to do it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement