Ryan's 1999 Tahoe - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2011   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 105 rynfarrell will become famous soon enoughrynfarrell will become famous soon enoughrynfarrell will become famous soon enoughrynfarrell will become famous soon enoughrynfarrell will become famous soon enoughrynfarrell will become famous soon enough

Default Ryan's 1999 Tahoe

Ok so I got my wisdom teeth pulled today and I am sitting at home high on painkillers and figured now was a good time to start my build thread. If anyone has any experiance with an OB Tahoe feel free to shoot me your suggestions!

Vehicle: 1999 4dr Tahoe

Headunit: Alpine CDA-117 with Bluetooth addon

Processor: JBL MS-8

Tweets: Vifa XT25 / SS Class A 6.0

Mids: HAT L6 / SS Class A 6.0

Midbass: Focal KBE 165 / PG ZX500

Subs: Two JL 12w6v1 in sealed box built to spec. / SS Reference 700S

Will be running this in a 2.5 way setup with speakers in stock locations and the midbass in the rear doors.

Gonna start uploading pics and will add as my build progresses. Enjoy!!!!!
rynfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2011   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 105 rynfarrell will become famous soon enoughrynfarrell will become famous soon enoughrynfarrell will become famous soon enoughrynfarrell will become famous soon enoughrynfarrell will become famous soon enoughrynfarrell will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Ryan's 1999 Tahoe

The tweeters were one of my biggest fears going into this build. lol

Last edited by rynfarrell; 09-21-2011 at 06:49 PM..
Old 09-21-2011   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Old 09-21-2011   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 126 Complacent_One will become famous soon enoughComplacent_One will become famous soon enoughComplacent_One will become famous soon enoughComplacent_One will become famous soon enoughComplacent_One will become famous soon enoughComplacent_One will become famous soon enoughComplacent_One will become famous soon enough

Although putting the additional midbass drivers in the rear doors would not be something I would do, I say go with it.... I would recommend that you dampen the heck out of those rear doors, including the interior door panel. T/A should be able to pull the soundstage back to front, but will not help at all with localization back to the rear caused by resonance of the panels.

I am local, so would like to check it out when you get'er done... If you need any assistance, let me know...
Complacent_One is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2011   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complacent_One View Post
Although putting the additional midbass drivers in the rear doors would not be something I would do, I say go with it.... I would recommend that you dampen the heck out of those rear doors, including the interior door panel. T/A should be able to pull the soundstage back to front, but will not help at all with localization back to the rear caused by resonance of the panels.

I am local, so would like to check it out when you get'er done... If you need any assistance, let me know...
Nice man. Ya I plan on deadening the hell out of all four doors this weekend. I was thinking that running it as 2.5 way instead of true 3 way would help keep the soundstage in the front as well. Although I admit I have no real basis for this theory of mine lol
Old 09-22-2011   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
TAS Electronics
Position:
Install Tech

Rep Power: 198 Chaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enough

Nice choice of equipment, but what does 2.5-way refer to.
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2011   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
Nice choice of equipment, but what does 2.5-way refer to.

What I mean by it is I will run my mids on all frequencies between my subs and tweets were the midbass will just play the midbass frequencies.
For example:

Tweets: 2500+
Mids: 60 - 2500
Midbass: 60 - 300

'
Im hoping by doing that it will make it a little easier to tune and help with the midbass that Tahoe's are known to struggle with.
Old 09-23-2011   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

So tomorrow I am going to be deadening the doors with Raamatt BXTII. Not looking forward to this. I have never done it before and it doesn't seem like it is all that fun...

I will take pics and post tomorrow.
Old 09-25-2011   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Old 09-25-2011   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 121 Kellyo77 will become famous soon enoughKellyo77 will become famous soon enoughKellyo77 will become famous soon enoughKellyo77 will become famous soon enoughKellyo77 will become famous soon enoughKellyo77 will become famous soon enough

Looks like you have the deadening figured out to me. Do you have any ensolite to go over the BXT?
Kellyo77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2011   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyo77 View Post
Looks like you have the deadening figured out to me. Do you have any ensolite to go over the BXT?
not right now but def something I could do in the future. Ive heard mixed thoughts on whether it is worth it.
Old 09-25-2011   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 121 Kellyo77 will become famous soon enoughKellyo77 will become famous soon enoughKellyo77 will become famous soon enoughKellyo77 will become famous soon enoughKellyo77 will become famous soon enoughKellyo77 will become famous soon enough

I have no idea if it really helps or not. It does add mass behind the panel and puts a little extra pressure on it as well. I think it help with rattles and a little bit of noise.

BTW, I saw you were asking about covering the holes in your outer door panel...
I would make some small thin metal panels to cover over the holes in your door. Then cover them with BXT, sheet metal screw them to the door. It WILL make a difference in midbass. I have done it in my past truck as well as this one and I know it helps.
Kellyo77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2011   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyo77 View Post
I have no idea if it really helps or not. It does add mass behind the panel and puts a little extra pressure on it as well. I think it help with rattles and a little bit of noise.

BTW, I saw you were asking about covering the holes in your outer door panel...
I would make some small thin metal panels to cover over the holes in your door. Then cover them with BXT, sheet metal screw them to the door. It WILL make a difference in midbass. I have done it in my past truck as well as this one and I know it helps.
Ya I took the advice of the other poster and got some sheet metal from home depot and did exactly that =)
Old 09-25-2011   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 127 FartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enough

Looks great! The deadening looks great as well. Love the SS 6.0s on your mids and tweets! Couldn't ask for cleaner amps. My only concern is the off-axis response of the Vifa XT25s... Hopefully you're satisfied with the location. If there was a way to bring them above the dash and on-axis they would sound MUCH better imo. Just a thought. Looking forward to more pics!

Working on an install plan for my 2013 Subaru Legacy. Will post a build log soon!
FartinInTheTub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2011   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by FartinInTheTub View Post
Looks great! The deadening looks great as well. Love the SS 6.0s on your mids and tweets! Couldn't ask for cleaner amps. My only concern is the off-axis response of the Vifa XT25s... Hopefully you're satisfied with the location. If there was a way to bring them above the dash and on-axis they would sound MUCH better imo. Just a thought. Looking forward to more pics!
ya I usually like real layed back tweets so Im hoping this will work. If not I will just replace them with something that is better off axis. I am sick of getting my shit broke into so I am sticking with stock locations!

Old 10-02-2011   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Amp rack for under second row of seats. I will have to find a place in back for my sub amp....

Old 10-15-2011   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Thought I should add a pic of the truck. I have always loved the old body style on the Tahoe. I will be throwing in the amps today and hopefully give it a test running it 2 way.

Couple of changes:

My midbass amp is now a SS reference 700s. I plan on replacing it with another Class A 6.0 if I can find a third one in excellent condition like the other two.

I have also purchased (2) 12w6v2 and will be pushing them in a sealed box with a Rockford Fosgate T10001 bd.

Last edited by rynfarrell; 10-15-2011 at 10:01 AM..
Old 10-19-2011   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 110 Juice75 will become famous soon enoughJuice75 will become famous soon enoughJuice75 will become famous soon enoughJuice75 will become famous soon enoughJuice75 will become famous soon enoughJuice75 will become famous soon enough

Looking good. I have a 2002 Yukon, and I've been playing around with the tweeter location to see what I like best. They're on the a-pillars right now, but thinking about trying some more locations soon.

Any chance you know of a good local tuner/installer? I love toying with it, but sometimes a fresh set of ears and ideas are nice.
Juice75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2011   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 vargas35 will become famous soon enoughvargas35 will become famous soon enoughvargas35 will become famous soon enoughvargas35 will become famous soon enoughvargas35 will become famous soon enoughvargas35 will become famous soon enough

Nice truck. I also liked the old body style Tahoe's. My first car was a 97 LT. Still wish I had held onto it.
vargas35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement