2011 WRX Hatchback Mostly Simple Stealth-ish Install - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 134 blong07 will become famous soon enoughblong07 will become famous soon enoughblong07 will become famous soon enoughblong07 will become famous soon enoughblong07 will become famous soon enoughblong07 will become famous soon enough

Default 2011 WRX Hatchback Mostly Simple Stealth-ish Install

Hey everybody. Haven't done much posting around here in a long long time as I haven't had much to contribute, but I have still been lurking about occasionally. Last year I traded in my old tC for a brand new 2011 WRX, a car I had been lusting after forever. The plan for the install is to lose as little space as possible and work with what I've got (new car = no extra money). I pulled most of the stereo components out of the tC with the intention of putting it in the WRX - an Alpine 9887, two Dayton HO 10's and a eD 9.1 and 9.2. Add to that a set of eD e9.65 components that I pulled out of a friends car that he won't be needing, and that's everything.

The 9887 made it's way within a month or so as the stock h/u's are garbage like everybody says - it's too bad, they have bluetooth connectivity and nice ipod controls, but the sound quality is terrible. I found a guy on a subaru forum I think (svxdc) that makes custom harnesses for the new wrx's to retain the steering wheel controls w/o having to splice into anything - I got that along with the metra axxess unit and every function works flawlessly on the 9887. I didn't get any photos of installing the h/u, but there are plenty of write-ups on subaru forums...plus it's cake, definitely the easiest headunit I've ever installed.

The WRX has big cavernous spaces underneath the front seats, so I decided to put the crossovers and distro blocks under the driver's side, and the front stage amp under the passenger's side to save as much space in the back and to also keep the car's center of gravity a little lower. I intend to eventually replace the 9.2 w/ a 4 channel amp so that I can run active again (used to have 2 9.2's on ID mids and seas tweets, but there's not enough room for both amps).

Pictures! Sorry some of them are so awful, I couldn't tell until I uploaded them.

The car

The only one I have of the headunit

Making spacers for the mids

I just threw this door gasket stuff on to alleviate rattles between the spacers and doors until I have the time and money to do a proper deadening job

I just sprayed some rattle-can bedliner on the spacers before putting them in.

The tweeters I've just thrown in to the stock sail locations for now until I have the time to make some a-pillars. I didn't even sand the plastic after drilling the holes, and they're held in with duct tape.

I cut a piece of mdf to mount the crossovers and distros to under the seat and also sprayed it with a couple coats of bedliner

Wired up

The 9.2 on the passenger side

Both ready to go

Seats all the way forward

Seats where they normally are

I didn't really get any photos of running the speaker/power wire. I already had the 0 gauge power line run for a temporary setup I had before (just subs). There's at least a couple other tutorials around that show how to run it through the side of car where there's a large grommet that most of the other electronics come through the firewall. That and running two runs of 12 gauge speaker lines through the door grommets was by and far the most time consuming, frustrating, [email protected]$$ part of the whole thing.

So now I'm working on the sub enclosure/sub amp rack. The spare tire and tool kit have to go to make room for them - I have AAA and can always just call a friend if I need rescuing. This will be my first go at fiberglassing and as such, I'm trying to keep that part minimal and simple. I'm only going to be glassing the bottom of the enclosure, the rest is mdf w/ a double 3/4" baffle on the top to recess the faces of the subs. False floor to follow. I measured the volume w/ the packing peanuts method and got 1.33 cu ft before driver displacement, so about .6 cu ft per driver after. Should be about right.

Pics of the progress on that so far:

Measuring

Amp location

Upside-down w/ baffle

So that's it for now. I still need to order the fiberglass material, but I'll update when it happens. In the meantime, any comments/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Last edited by blong07; 08-20-2012 at 03:37 AM..
blong07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 123 lucipha will become famous soon enoughlucipha will become famous soon enoughlucipha will become famous soon enoughlucipha will become famous soon enoughlucipha will become famous soon enoughlucipha will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2011 WRX Hatchback Mostly Simple Stealth-ish Install

You're giving me good ideas as to what I should do with my 11 WRX, but PBR, I think you can do better than that.
lucipha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 116 ecbmxer will become famous soon enoughecbmxer will become famous soon enoughecbmxer will become famous soon enoughecbmxer will become famous soon enoughecbmxer will become famous soon enoughecbmxer will become famous soon enough

Looking good! I love the Dayton subs.

NEW: 2017 Toyota 4Runner ALL STOCK FOR NOW
GONE: 2010 Subaru WRX: H-Audio Enigma, Trinity and Ebony, sealed IDQ10v3, Massive Audio NX5 (sub+midbass) and NX4 (mid+tweet) amps, Alpine INA-W900BT with H100 Imprint, RAAMat/Ensolite, KnuKoncept/DIY wiring
ecbmxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 172 JayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enough

I like them too. Are you running .6 sealed or are you running ported?

Jay

JayinMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 185 trojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant future

OP beware, PBR has been known to give people the shits....

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplicityinsound View Post
Bring it to the meet.on sat...we will finish it there for ya lol
trojan fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 180 chithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of light

Subscribed Liking all these newer model WRX builds popping up around here.

chithead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 134 kizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enough

nice work. how do you like the eD components? I don't think I've seen anybody use them before.

Alpine HU, Alpine H800
Sinfoni Solo AD-LIB powering Sinfoni Eroico M series
Arc Audio XDI 1100.1 powering IDMAX 12

Car...sounds...awesome!!!
kizz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 134 blong07 will become famous soon enoughblong07 will become famous soon enoughblong07 will become famous soon enoughblong07 will become famous soon enoughblong07 will become famous soon enoughblong07 will become famous soon enough

Ha! PBR is the king of piss water!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
I like them too. Are you running .6 sealed or are you running ported?

Jay
Sealed. I've had them both sealed and ported, and while ported gets a lot more deebees, I've decided that I like sealed better. And they still get plenty loud anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizz View Post
nice work. how do you like the eD components? I don't think I've seen anybody use them before.
They actually sound great - very clear and a lot of midbass even in my unsealed, undeadened doors. I've still got some tuning to do, but they already seem to have a pretty flat response. They were in my friend's gti before also running on a 9887 and I don't think we ever even messed w/ the eq or t/a at all, they sounded so good from the get-go.
Old 08-21-2012   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 134 kizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enough

the midbass does look pretty beastly

Alpine HU, Alpine H800
Sinfoni Solo AD-LIB powering Sinfoni Eroico M series
Arc Audio XDI 1100.1 powering IDMAX 12

Car...sounds...awesome!!!
kizz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2012   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Made some more progress on the sub box. I'm waiting on the fiberglass material to get here to be able to glass the bottom of the enclosure. Apparently it got held up due to the weather out east.

Here's some pictures of the frame w/ most of the important pieces and test-fitting the amp and drivers for now:

Hella-flush with double baffle and a 1/2" roundover:

And one with the amp:

That's really all I can do until the fiberglass arrives. I need to order some 4 ga. power and ground wires to run from the distros to the amp, and figure out how I'm going to cut the new floor, and also what to cover it with. Updates soon!
Old 09-02-2012   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 87 mulagain will become famous soon enoughmulagain will become famous soon enoughmulagain will become famous soon enoughmulagain will become famous soon enoughmulagain will become famous soon enoughmulagain will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
Subscribed Liking all these newer model WRX builds popping up around here.
+1

Subscribed
mulagain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2012   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 121 IDGAF will become famous soon enoughIDGAF will become famous soon enoughIDGAF will become famous soon enoughIDGAF will become famous soon enoughIDGAF will become famous soon enoughIDGAF will become famous soon enough

Man, you guys are straight up embarrassing me with these slick WRX installs. I need to put in some work.

I'd really love to do the spare tire well sub, but I throw too much crap in the trunk. Are you doing grills or something to protect them? How do people do that so you can still toss golf clubs or groceries or whatever back there?

Sub'd

SQ retard.
IDGAF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2012   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 87 mulagain will become famous soon enoughmulagain will become famous soon enoughmulagain will become famous soon enoughmulagain will become famous soon enoughmulagain will become famous soon enoughmulagain will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blong07 View Post
Made some more progress on the sub box. I'm waiting on the fiberglass material to get here to be able to glass the bottom of the enclosure. Apparently it got held up due to the weather out east.

Here's some pictures of the frame w/ most of the important pieces and test-fitting the amp and drivers for now:

Hella-flush with double baffle and a 1/2" roundover:

And one with the amp:

That's really all I can do until the fiberglass arrives. I need to order some 4 ga. power and ground wires to run from the distros to the amp, and figure out how I'm going to cut the new floor, and also what to cover it with. Updates soon!
This is BY FAR the best looking setup I've seen yet in the GR hatch. There aren't a lot of options from AI or other companies. They only offer a 10" option and it has about half the needed air volume. Your setup is ingenius.

I did my original install with a spec size sealed box with 2 12w3v3s but didn't like loosing the entire hatch area. I've downsized to a single w7 sub which gave me back about half the space, but it still sucks not being able to lay the seats down to haul larger items.

Will follow the thread to see how these work out, looks awesome sofar!
mulagain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDGAF View Post
Man, you guys are straight up embarrassing me with these slick WRX installs. I need to put in some work.

I'd really love to do the spare tire well sub, but I throw too much crap in the trunk. Are you doing grills or something to protect them? How do people do that so you can still toss golf clubs or groceries or whatever back there?

Sub'd
It is a lot of work - but I've just been taking my time and spacing everything out so it doesn't become too daunting.

I'm going to cut a new floor out of 1/2" mdf w/ removable cut-outs that will have grills integrated into them and covered in carpet, like all the ones that Bing does. Obviously stealing a lot of inspiration from his and other installs in this car. The floor will be raised up about 2" from factory, there's no way to make it any shallower and still fit the 5" depth clearance of the Daytons. I'm willing to make the sacrifice and still be able to have 2 10's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulagain View Post
This is BY FAR the best looking setup I've seen yet in the GR hatch. There aren't a lot of options from AI or other companies. They only offer a 10" option and it has about half the needed air volume. Your setup is ingenius.

I did my original install with a spec size sealed box with 2 12w3v3s but didn't like loosing the entire hatch area. I've downsized to a single w7 sub which gave me back about half the space, but it still sucks not being able to lay the seats down to haul larger items.

Will follow the thread to see how these work out, looks awesome sofar!
Hey, thanks! But I wasn't the first to do it like that - I definitely took inspiration from others.

It bugged me that the AI enclosure stuck out into the usable width of the trunk. Being able to fit wide items in the hatch is something I need occasionally. I tried the daytons in a ported box in the back for a little while - it didn't take long before I was really frustrated with not having any usable hatch space. Decided this was my only option if I wanted to still have subs.
Old 09-03-2012   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 157 beef316 will become famous soon enoughbeef316 will become famous soon enoughbeef316 will become famous soon enoughbeef316 will become famous soon enoughbeef316 will become famous soon enoughbeef316 will become famous soon enough

This is looking good. Keep it up.

Tapatalk owns my productivity.

Jeremy Daniels - Team Arc Audio
Spring Break Nationals Champion - 2014 MECA Modified Street, 2013 IASCA Amateur SQ
2013 IASCA INAC Runner Up - Amateur SQ
beef316 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Fiberglass stuff is here!

Decided to give US Composites' epoxy stuff a try. From what I hear, the vapor off epoxy isn't as intense as polyester - we live in condos and our garage is right next to our neighbors, so that alone is (hopefully) worth the extra $.

Gotta pick up a few more things before I can get started, but things should be rolling in the next day or two!
Old 09-10-2012   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 119 TREOUSAMPS_GP will become famous soon enoughTREOUSAMPS_GP will become famous soon enoughTREOUSAMPS_GP will become famous soon enoughTREOUSAMPS_GP will become famous soon enoughTREOUSAMPS_GP will become famous soon enoughTREOUSAMPS_GP will become famous soon enough

subd
TREOUSAMPS_GP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2012   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 116 ecbmxer will become famous soon enoughecbmxer will become famous soon enoughecbmxer will become famous soon enoughecbmxer will become famous soon enoughecbmxer will become famous soon enoughecbmxer will become famous soon enough

Sorry I never got back and replied to your question. I have 0.65ft3 sealed for my IDQ10v3. Those dayton 10's fit in there like a glove. If I can ever get the balls to remove my spare, I'd be all about that setup!

NEW: 2017 Toyota 4Runner ALL STOCK FOR NOW
GONE: 2010 Subaru WRX: H-Audio Enigma, Trinity and Ebony, sealed IDQ10v3, Massive Audio NX5 (sub+midbass) and NX4 (mid+tweet) amps, Alpine INA-W900BT with H100 Imprint, RAAMat/Ensolite, KnuKoncept/DIY wiring
ecbmxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Sorry everyone, the last couple months have been pretty busy. Well, mostly I've been lazy as far as projects are concerned. But I've made a good amount of progress on the sub enclosure, so here's some pics.

Taping off the area to be glassed:

So, I made a major rookie move here on the 1st attempt, and while I did spray a nice layer of Pam down first, I also put a layer of resin down on the tape, thinking that I would need to apply it to both sides of the biaxial mat because it's so thick (like 3 or 4 layers of 1.5 oz chopped mat each). This was dumb.

So here's the first attempt, pretty much completely stuck to the tape. I had to pry it out with a screwdriver, re-tape the area, and start over.

After that, I did a little reworking with the plan, and decided to just glass the bottom right in to the frame for the sides. That way, I could just mate the top baffle/amp perch together afterwards.

So here's the first layer glassed in to the frame. I used my dremel to trim the back down - you'll see why later.

And test fitting the drivers, they have a good inch of clearance:

The biaxial mat is ridiculously rigid once it's cured. One layer was all I needed to get the form of the spare tire well, then removed it and glassed the other layers outside of the car. I left those flaps un-resined for the next step:

Then I glued the baffle and amp perch together, and then attached that to the frame.

This was the difficult part - applying the resin to the back flaps and attaching them to the top of the enclosure. I put a few strips of the mat in the area where the flaps meet while I was applying the resin. I used a staple gun and a generous amount of resin to make sure the fiberglass adhered to the mdf. I'm sure this wasn't the easiest way to do this, but it was a learning experience. (I learned not to do it this way again.)

And as you can see, I put my terminals in also.

I'm going to apply some more mat+resin to the inside of the enclosure, especially where the seams are, then do the milkshake method to try and fix any leaks it may have.

Keep in mind that this is my first go at fiberglassing - totally open to any advice about how I could do better in the future.
Old 10-22-2012   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Sound Evolution/Fry's Electronics
Position:
Installer/fabricator

Rep Power: 94 speakerpimp will become famous soon enoughspeakerpimp will become famous soon enoughspeakerpimp will become famous soon enoughspeakerpimp will become famous soon enoughspeakerpimp will become famous soon enoughspeakerpimp will become famous soon enough

Very nice build so far! Sub'd...
speakerpimp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 132 FLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enough

I REALLY like your choice of materials, epoxy and biax! You cant really get any
better than that. If you would like to see some video's of how to wet it out so
you cat good results on LUNCHBOX's build you next to the last page you'll see
some video's. You could have salvaged your first attempt and had I seen this
in time I could have helped. The stuff just does not like to turn corners at all,
so the use of fillets is pretty much a must.

Anyway, if you have the time check out those video's and you'll find many more
about epoxy layups on bateau.com or you can PM me, I would be happy to help.

Other than that GREAT work so far, look forward to your build.
FLYONWALL9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYONWALL9 View Post
I REALLY like your choice of materials, epoxy and biax! You cant really get any
better than that. If you would like to see some video's of how to wet it out so
you cat good results on LUNCHBOX's build you next to the last page you'll see
some video's. You could have salvaged your first attempt and had I seen this
in time I could have helped. The stuff just does not like to turn corners at all,
so the use of fillets is pretty much a must.

Anyway, if you have the time check out those video's and you'll find many more
about epoxy layups on bateau.com or you can PM me, I would be happy to help.

Other than that GREAT work so far, look forward to your build.
Thanks! I did a little reading before I ordered anything, mostly this tutorial and a few others to come to the selection of materials that I did. I've been super pleased with how easy they are to work with and the results - both were well worth the extra money. It's true, the biaxial mat doesn't do curves as well as chopped mat, but all you have to do to work around that is trim it so it does what you want it to. It's kinda like wrapping a present. And the epoxy barely puts off any fumes, at least hardly any that you can smell. I still wear a respirator, but probably don't need to. And I'm using the 3-to-1 pump system from US Composites so it's super easy to mix - just pump, stir, and you're ready to go. Fiberglassing is way easier than I thought it would be, at least as far as I'm using in my project.

Thanks for the links - I will definitely study up on them.
Old 10-23-2012   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 132 FLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enoughFLYONWALL9 will become famous soon enough

You know the absolute best part about epoxy to me is clean up. To get
your hands clean simple white vinegar and liq soap. I've used that and
biax for close to 10 years, its the bomb. You sub enclosure should be
rock solid so long as you don't over saturate the cloth.

good stuff
FLYONWALL9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Sound Evolution/Fry's Electronics
Position:
Installer/fabricator

Rep Power: 94 speakerpimp will become famous soon enoughspeakerpimp will become famous soon enoughspeakerpimp will become famous soon enoughspeakerpimp will become famous soon enoughspeakerpimp will become famous soon enoughspeakerpimp will become famous soon enough

Sweet build, I like where your headed so far. Any idea how much air space you could have had if you went all box in the back?
speakerpimp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakerpimp View Post
Sweet build, I like where your headed so far. Any idea how much air space you could have had if you went all box in the back?
I didn't really measure the sides, but I bet there's at least another cu. ft. of space to be had if they were glassed in. If you took out the space for the amp, probably another .5 cu. ft. I'd say the max total volume you could get without making the floor taller than the hatch opening is somewhere around 3 cu. ft. But fitting bigger drivers, or more than 3 magnets, would be tough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement