VW Passat B5 (2000) SQL Build - Page 19 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2018   #451
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 328 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: VW Passat B5 (2000) SQL Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinH View Post
Really nice updates over the past couple weeks. Just wanted to give you props, man. Keep at it!

Thanks! I got myself a 3D printer now too. Iíll be putting that to use soon too

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

- Active Build Thread - VW Passat 1.8T (2000) -
Hanatsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2018   #452
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 328 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute

Gonna try printing these in my 3D printer once I've set it up.

Covers for my 3" midranges.

Painted this... thing, dunno what to call it tbh

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

Old 06-15-2018   #453
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Made a ground distribution rail that will be mounted on the amp rack in pure copper. Two 50mm2 - M10 threads and four M8 - 25mm2.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hanatsu For This Useful Post:
req (06-27-2018)

Old 06-16-2018   #454
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 58 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanatsu View Post
Made a ground distribution rail that will be mounted on the amp rack in pure copper. Two 50mm2 - M10 threads and four M8 - 25mm2.
Your fellow countrymen make these:
And all the way down to M3 or M4...
Nord-Lock wedge-locking washers | Secure your critical bolted joints with the original lock washer from the bolting experts

Or do you lock-tight these connectors in?
Holmz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2018   #455
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmz View Post
Your fellow countrymen make these:

And all the way down to M3 or M4...

Nord-Lock wedge-locking washers | Secure your critical bolted joints with the original lock washer from the bolting experts

Or do you lock-tight these connectors in?

Never heard about that manufacturer before,, weird. Looks pretty good though. I got a special threadlock for electrical connections. We used it on large engines that were exposed to lots of vibrations in industrial environments. Iíve used it on the extra alternator ground and battery terminal cable bolts so far.

Old 06-16-2018   #456
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 58 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Never heard about that manufacturer before,, weird. Looks pretty good though. I got a special threadlock for electrical connections. We used it on large engines that were exposed to lots of vibrations in industrial environments. Iíve used it on the extra alternator ground and battery terminal cable bolts so far.
"Straight outta Sweden" , and used a lot on helicopters, airplanes and race cars.
Also on other big industrial stuff (maybe tensest or oil rigs... not sure)... the local shop actual mentioned the big industrial, so maybe mining?

I have been using them on "the vibrating truck" to keep things tight, a lot of the little M5 and M6 sizes for dash bits.

Those electrical connectors looks like things that want to come loose... hopefully not, but as they are made in your country (and have make it world wide...) it seemed worth a mention.
The Following User Says Thank You to Holmz For This Useful Post:
Hanatsu (06-16-2018)
Old 06-16-2018   #457
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 RogerH will become famous soon enoughRogerH will become famous soon enoughRogerH will become famous soon enoughRogerH will become famous soon enoughRogerH will become famous soon enoughRogerH will become famous soon enough

Nord-Lock's are great! Especially with vibrating stuff. How much L do you plan in SQL?!
I used to drive by their factory in Mattmar when I lived up in Jšmtland! Not sure if they still make the product there, though.

For clamping bus-bars in electrical connections, spring washers are usually used. Like this: Flange Washers - bellevillediscspringsusa.com
In high current situations things can get very hot. Loctite usually looses it's strength when it's heated. This is also the reasons why crimped or clamped wire connections are used in power cables, over solder joints.
RogerH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2018   #458
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Hehe yeah, this isnít an SPL build exactly. I used 40A fuses for the longest time for the amps. I put them there temporarily then forgot about it so I donít worry too much about it. I had to loosen the other bolts I had in the battery terminal by putting it in the vice after two years, loctite does its job in these conditions I believe. I will also put a cable support in front of the distribution block so thereís no strain on the actual connection.

Old 06-19-2018   #459
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Ran my CNC program in the mill today. Used a thinner material instead. Worked out pretty good.

Old 06-20-2018   #460
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Well, I took your advice after all and bought some washers from Nord-Lock. Found a supplier nearby, they weren't the definition of cheap exactly but I guess you get what you pay for.

Made some modifications to the frame and I'm repainting it in aluminum-color instead. Made the first pass today, might have to spraypaint it instead to get a decent finish. Tried out the 3D printer, seems to work fine with PLA at least. I've yet to try ABS.

Wiring will be a bit tidier now with the ground distribution block this close to the terminals of the amps. Next up is to fix the fuse block, I made a draft in Fusion (never added a hole for the incoming power wire from battery). It isn't necessarily gonna end up in a box like this but the bottom plate is gonna end up something similar to the drawing. Going to place is in a 45deg angle at the back of the sparewheel space (in front of the amps looking from behind).

The connectors were almost a press fit but I'll secure them anyway, the upper two will have to be glued and the bottom got M2 screwholes.

Old 06-20-2018   #461
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 35 GreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enough

I’m loving this. Great stuff man.

2017 Chevy Bolt EV - Work in Progress: Scanspeak D3004/6040-10 Beryllium tweeters, Scanspeak 12mu mids, Scanspeak 18wu midbasses, Scanspeak 32w/4878T00 13" Subwoofer, Scanspeak 10F / D3004/6020's (rear doors), Scanspeak 10F (rear fill). MiniDSP C-DSP 8x12 v2 DL, Arc Audio KS 300.2 v2, Arc Audio SKS300.6 Prototype, Arc Audio KS300.4 v2
GreatLaBroski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2018   #462
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Small update. Began working on the bottom part of the fuseblock-holder. My washers arrived as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hanatsu For This Useful Post:
cadaver (06-22-2018)
Old 06-21-2018   #463
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Quote:
Small update. Began working on the bottom part of the fuseblock-holder. My washers arrived as well.
Good-O (or the other othe Austraianism...) Good on ya, or just On'Ya for short.

Vibrations and cables may not need the washers, but why risk it?
(You while build looks pretty sweet by the way)
Old 06-22-2018   #464
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Little update today as well... Was hoping to get more done but I'm always so damn tired.

First 3D print went pretty good, I had to mess around with the settings before I got it to stick to the bed. The plastic is modified PLA, apparently it's lots more durable than normal PLA, we'll see. I'm going to paint it to see how well it works before I make a higher quality one (used draft settings for this one).

Signal soldering connections complete.

I swapped the top cover of two amps, the top amp had gotten some scratches over the years. Took some pictures of the amp guts, pretty nice layout of the ETON amps. Questionable component quality though. I'll recap the entire thing if they die in the future.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hanatsu For This Useful Post:
bbfoto (06-22-2018), cadaver (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018   #465

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 100 Elgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enough

Very cool this 3d printer, I hope youíll do a lot of cool things.
What is the metallic triangular box exactly, just a support for the fuse box?

Elgrosso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2018   #466
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgrosso View Post
Very cool this 3d printer, I hope youíll do a lot of cool things.

What is the metallic triangular box exactly, just a support for the fuse box?

Ah itís just an angular support floor To hide cables underneath.

Old 06-23-2018   #467
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Continued where I left off...

Painting the 3D print seems to be no problem. I didn't take that much care when I did it but the paint seem to stick (I did use a plastic primer though). This one is going in the bin but I'll make two new ones now that I know that it works.

Dampened the spacer with a rubber washer.

Began making these too

Old 06-24-2018   #468
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 374 bbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond repute

Nice updates! Great to see you working on this again.
bbfoto is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2018   #469
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 35 GreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enough

I love seeing your 3d printed parts, I have a Creality CR-10S that I'm going to be using myself for similar stuff.
GreatLaBroski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2018   #470
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Wiring is done at least. Moved the mini relay to the rack. Less crap out in the trunk.

Old 06-27-2018   #471
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 RogerH will become famous soon enoughRogerH will become famous soon enoughRogerH will become famous soon enoughRogerH will become famous soon enoughRogerH will become famous soon enoughRogerH will become famous soon enough

Nice work! Looks really good!

Question about mounting amps and components to metal racks. I assume the steel amprack is connected to the cars ground/chassis. Do you mount the amps directly to this?

I remember helping a friend with a amp mounted directly to the sheet metal, and that somehow caused lots of alternator whine and stuff. Very old car, and old second-hand components. Maybe this is not a issue with modern quality stuff?
Old 06-27-2018   #472
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
Nice work! Looks really good!

Question about mounting amps and components to metal racks. I assume the steel amprack is connected to the cars ground/chassis. Do you mount the amps directly to this?

I remember helping a friend with a amp mounted directly to the sheet metal, and that somehow caused lots of alternator whine and stuff. Very old car, and old second-hand components. Maybe this is not a issue with modern quality stuff?
Had this setup for years now. Alternator whine is one thing I've never had any issues with. The car is grounded to death (13 extra ground points) and the alternator got advanced filtering directly on the output. I've taken great care where the signal wires goes under the mat, also the DSP's inputs are balanced with floating ground.

The ETON amps also ain't aluminum where you mount them, some kind of thick plastic. Only the long-sides are aluminum actually when I think about it

Old 07-02-2018   #473
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it for the competition next Saturday. I simply have to much to do right now. I thought I had the whole last week to work on the car but I only got to work on it half a day or so :/

Well anyway, here's what I have done since last update...

Signal connector

Started with the speaker connector as well. More work since I can't do it on the workbench...

Seems like the old cables still fit.

A lot cleaner than before:

Moved the ground points to the right of the car instead.

Bad pic but that's basically how I gonna have fuseblocks now. I will use some foil over that aluminum, too hard getting the surface to look nice and clean. There will be cover panels around it as well.

Made another 3D-print. My install logo. I'll integrate it with some fiberglass panels I'm planning in the trunk for later.

Rotating the DSP like this instead.

I will also order a electric actuator to lift the floor, I made some calculations on what type I require...

I need to modify some minor thing to make it fit. I'll probably have some update on it later this week, gotta finish that APL1012 workflow guide first.

Old 07-03-2018   #474
DIYMA 500 Club

That will be cool with the actuators! I always wanted to do that. For the "show factor"!

Too bad that you are not going to make it to the sound-off event. I was really looking forward to hear and see the car! Maybe we can meet some time when it's playing!
Old 07-03-2018   #475
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Yes, Iíll come visit at the finals perhaps. Youíre welcome to come visit of course

Sponsored Links
Advertisement