2013 Honda Accord Build - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 135 trevordj will become famous soon enoughtrevordj will become famous soon enoughtrevordj will become famous soon enoughtrevordj will become famous soon enoughtrevordj will become famous soon enoughtrevordj will become famous soon enough

Default 2013 Honda Accord Build

Approximately 4 months ago I sold my 2010 Volvo C30 and purchased a 2013 Honda Accord EX sedan. I actually loved my Volvo, and I loved the stereo system in it even more (build log here) but my wife and I were expecting our first child and I needed something a little more practical. After driving every sedan under the sun, the new Accord was hands down the nicest in my price range. I convinced myself that I wouldn't miss the stereo system and would just get by listening to a stock stereo.

I made it about 2 weeks before I started planning my new installation.

After scrimping, saving, and begging my wife to use part of our tax return I finally have all the gear together for a build. I learned a lot from my previously mentioned first "complete" installation and I hope to continue that learning trend here. My goals for this project are:

1) Achieve good sound quality using primarily factory locations and a simple 2-way front stage.
2) Learn to build and properly tune a ported subwoofer enclosure (I have always done sealed or IB).
3) Be able to return the car to stock relatively easily.
4) Maintain serviceability of the vehicle.
5) Respect the original design of the vehicle interior. I want everything to "look like it was supposed to be there."
6) Learn new composite fabrication techniques including but not limited to vacuum bagging (wet layup, I will likely not be attempting infusion yet)
7) Have fun.
8) Finish in time for my first sound quality competition (IASCA event June 8th, 2013).
9) Retain the spare tire, tools, and ability to access them.

I am definitely not an expert. What I lack in experience I try to compensate with persistence. I post a lot of photos with my builds, it helps keep me honest and details my thought process, for better or worse. I encourage and embrace feedback from the multiple talented individuals here.

Here is my core gear list. This doesn't include a lot of odds and ends such as wiring and sound deadener, but it gives a general idea of what's going in the car.

Here is my proposed system layout. The only unknown at this point is whether I will be running a three way center channel using a Vifa NE85W that I picked up. If space will allow I will do this. This is, therefore, not represented in the diagram.

I will be running the entire system off the rear outputs of the stock head unit and will be running two full range drivers off the front channels of the stock head unit. These will be mounted in the top of the doors, near the handles. This will allow me to run bluetooth calling out of these full range speakers only and not through the entire system. It will also allow me the potential flexibility to convert the system to a three way front stage should I get the itch in the future.

Oh, and I will be running four eight inch subwoofers . The subs will be mounted as pairs in two custom ported enclosures in each side of the trunk. The front and rear speakers will be in stock locations, but with some twists. The center channel… well I will have to keep you in suspense there .

The amplifiers, processor, and wiring will be mounted in a false floor built into the trunk. I will do two pairs of fans in a push-pull configuration to handle cooling.

-Trevor

Last edited by trevordj; 05-03-2013 at 09:53 PM..
trevordj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 135 trevordj will become famous soon enoughtrevordj will become famous soon enoughtrevordj will become famous soon enoughtrevordj will become famous soon enoughtrevordj will become famous soon enoughtrevordj will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2013 Honda Accord Build

Here are some pictures of the freshly detailed car:

-Trevor

Last edited by trevordj; 05-02-2013 at 11:14 PM..
Old 05-02-2013   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 158 Coppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of light

Subscribed, as my wife is also a physician. Congrats on the great news about your forth coming baby.

(2.5GT) Limited Legacy / Pioneer 4800BS /Audison APK-165
Turbocharged / 6 speed / awd/ goodness ( For SALE )

(2018) Accord 2.0T Touring (10speed) turbocharged
Coppertone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Here are some pictures of the gear:

Everything. I gotta send a big thank you to Don (RudeBoy) at Sound Deadener Showdown for his assistance with formulating a sound deadening plan for the project. The gear I purchased from him is top left in the photo. The only thing not pictured is the 160lb package of mass loaded vinyl. It was too unwieldy to pack into the garage for this shot.

Dayton RSS210HO-4 8 inch subwoofer

JBL MS8

Kenwood KAC-9105D

Kenwood KAC-8405

Kenwood X450-4

Tang Band W4-1337

Vifa NE149W

Vifa NE65W

Vifa NE85W (Not sure if I will be using or not)

-Trevor

Last edited by trevordj; 05-03-2013 at 01:22 PM..
Old 05-02-2013   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertone View Post
Subscribed, as my wife is also a physician. Congrats on the great news about your forth coming baby.
Thanks a lot! He was actually born on 04/21/2013 so I am running on pretty much no sleep . My wife is awesome though and she is letting me work in some time for this project as she can.

-Trevor
Old 05-02-2013   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Some more photos:

Vifa XT25 Tweeter

Vifa OT19 Tweeter

Monoprice RCA Connectors: I'll be using these with some Gepco 61801Z wire, tech flex, and some heatshrink to do custom, DIY RCAs. They are super easy to build, and I can make an RCA cable for a couple bucks that kicks the pants off anything available commercially.

Various raw materials including fiberglass, carbon fiber, resins, mold release agents, etc. You can also see my ridiculous collection of detailing supplies.

-Trevor

Last edited by trevordj; 05-02-2013 at 11:21 PM..
Old 05-02-2013   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

I started deconstruction of the car today and installing some sound deadener. It's late and I have to work tomorrow so I will update that tomorrow.

-Trevor

Last edited by trevordj; 05-02-2013 at 11:27 PM..
Old 05-03-2013   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 120 lucky will become famous soon enoughlucky will become famous soon enoughlucky will become famous soon enoughlucky will become famous soon enoughlucky will become famous soon enoughlucky will become famous soon enough

Best of luck with the build. Are you aware of the headache people are having with aftermarket stereos and Honda's active noise cancellation? While you're tearing the car apart, it may be a good time to disconnect the ASC module.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013   #9

Rep Power: 79 mrmill will become famous soon enoughmrmill will become famous soon enoughmrmill will become famous soon enoughmrmill will become famous soon enoughmrmill will become famous soon enoughmrmill will become famous soon enough

in for more pics...good luck on your install

Owner: Miller's Home for Wayward Minitrucks
02 S-10- Half bagged; 87 Pup, Bagged, billets; 87 D-50; 05 Dakota, 20's
mrmill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013   #10
req
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 188 req is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of light

this looks like is going to be great

looking forward to it!

req is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Buckshot Racing
Position:
Technician/fabricator

Rep Power: 143 JP Fabrication will become famous soon enoughJP Fabrication will become famous soon enoughJP Fabrication will become famous soon enoughJP Fabrication will become famous soon enoughJP Fabrication will become famous soon enoughJP Fabrication will become famous soon enough

Can't wait for this one.

Formerly-crnacnac
JP Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky View Post
Best of luck with the build. Are you aware of the headache people are having with aftermarket stereos and Honda's active noise cancellation? While you're tearing the car apart, it may be a good time to disconnect the ASC module.
Thanks for the heads up. Yes, I am aware of the need to disconnect the ANC module. It will be a relative piece of cake though. I will be pulling the headliner to sound deaden the roof so I will have to disconnect the ANC microphones at that time anyway. I'll leave them disconnected when I put everything back together.

-Trevor
Old 05-03-2013   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 144 mattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enough

looking forward to the build trevor... looks like a simplified budget (over last time) but what looks like some really nice drivers... should have good results

in for updates ...

2013 Camaro 2SS 1LE - HLCD Coming Soon!
mattyjman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Thanks Matty. It is definitely similar to my last build simply because I loved the way that car sounded. I just had to set a limit on the spending. I really want to focus more on the build quality and use of composites in this build over high dollar components. I still have some ideas up my sleeve though. If everything turns out the way I envision it, it should be super cool when it is done.

And those Vifa mids are REALLY nice.

-Trevor
Old 05-03-2013   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Well, this is the most boring part of the build... sound deadening. There isn't a whole lot to show but I will post some pics of the little progress I made. This stuff always takes longer than I expect. I am going to rally this weekend and try to finish up all the deadening by Monday so I can actually get into the fun stuff.

First some measurements. I used my iphone and Dayton IMM-6 calibrated microphone to take some measurements prior to making any modifications. I want to be able to quantify how much a difference the sound deadener makes. These are all a-weighted RTA measurements. All measurements were taken with the windows up, stereo off, and the heating/AC off.

Engine off, stationary in garage

Engine on, at idle, stationary in garage

Quiet road (no traffic), cruise control set at 25mph

Quiet road (little traffic), cruise control set at 45mph

Quiet road (little traffic), cruise control set at 65mph

Quiet road (little traffic), accelerating onto freeway (engine floored). Measurement taken at approximately 45-55mph

I will refer back to these measurements after I finish the sound deadening.

-Trevor
Old 05-03-2013   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Here some quick pics of my work area and the off camera flash mounted on a storage rack

The shop tunes (speakers are orb audio point source drivers and a 10 inch energy subwoofer, source is my iPhone and an Emotiva stereo preamplifier and 2 channel amplifier, it sounds great)

-Trevor
Old 05-03-2013   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Stock trunk

Trunk, rear deck, and back seat stripped

Trunk lid with alpha damp applied until panel resonance controlled

All crevices stuffed with jute padding

Back together

Alpha damp down in the trunk and spare tire well

It doesn't look pretty, but all crevices were stuffed with jute padding and polyfill. Some places needed to be secured with a bit of tape until the carpet is replaced.

The rear deck was treated from above and below with enough alpha damp to take care of any resonances. The rear seat platform was also treated. Luckily the Accord comes with a ton of factory sound deadener so overall panel resonance isn't a huge issue along the floor.

The rear deck was treated with a layer of closed cell foam. Everything was mocked up and fits well. No obvious resonance remains from the panel or rear deck. First mission complete.

Tomorrow... more sound deadening. I'm hoping to get the rear of the car covered in CCF and MLV then remove the roof panel and front seats to start deadening there Sunday.

-Trevor
Old 05-05-2013   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 101 pereze will become famous soon enoughpereze will become famous soon enoughpereze will become famous soon enoughpereze will become famous soon enoughpereze will become famous soon enoughpereze will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevordj View Post

The shop tunes (speakers are orb audio point source drivers and a 10 inch energy subwoofer, source is my iPhone and an Emotiva stereo preamplifier and 2 channel amplifier, it sounds great)
nice shop setup! I would be happy with that as my main rig.
Good luck with the build. It looks good so far.
pereze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2013   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 114 mr.metoo will become famous soon enoughmr.metoo will become famous soon enoughmr.metoo will become famous soon enoughmr.metoo will become famous soon enoughmr.metoo will become famous soon enoughmr.metoo will become famous soon enough

Great looking build and love the car

Congrats on the baby as well
mr.metoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2013   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
High Definition Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 333 Niebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond repute

Looking forward to this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
There is a difference between overkill and bad. Your idea isn't overkill, it's bad.
Niebur3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2013   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 120 lucky will become famous soon enoughlucky will become famous soon enoughlucky will become famous soon enoughlucky will become famous soon enoughlucky will become famous soon enoughlucky will become famous soon enough

Little off topic, but what other sedans made your short list? Also, you'd recommend the orb speakers?
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2013   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

I drove pretty much every sedan (and a few hatches and small SUVs) I could find in my budget:

Toyota Camry
Nissan Altima and Sentra
Honda Accord, Civic, and CRV
Subaru Outback, Legacy, Impreza, Forester, and Crosstek
Mazda 6 and CX7
Kia Sportage, Sorento, and a couple others
Hyundai (cannot remember the models... they were basically the same as the Kias)
VW Passat

I am sure there were a few more. I was test driving cars every weekend for like 2 months. From the above list the cars that really stood out were:

Honda Accord
Honda CRV
Subaru Outback
Mazda CX7

The orbs are nice speakers given their form factor (ie they have a high WAF... Wife Acceptance Factor). We have them in our living room and and back patio as well. They kick the hell out of similarly sized speakers but cannot compare to the sound of a floor stander with multiple sized drivers. I will set up a different home theater set when we move in a year and I can have a dedicated home theater room.

-Trevor
Old 05-05-2013   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

The last two days have been slow going. I always forget how time consuming sound deadening is. The bad news is that I didn't get as much done as I wanted, but the good news is that the trunk is now completely deadened.

For almost every piece of mass loaded vinyl I have to cut a cardboard template and then transfer it to vinyl. Then I have to cut the closed cell foam including cutting windows to allow the industrial strength velcro attached to the MLV to stick to the panel through the foam. If any of you have any tips how to do this more efficiently I am all ears.

My back is killing me from sitting like this for the last two days

Here is the trunk all buttoned up

And a shot of my MLV seams (the brain child of Don over at SDS)

Here is a video of the rear quarter panel resonance after treatment (for those who haven't done this before).

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Sorry, once I get through this sound deadening I will get to something more exciting. Thanks for looking.

-Trevor
Old 05-05-2013   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 364 bbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond repute

Looks great so far. Nice pics, too. The Accord is a great car and it looks like you've chosen some fine gear. Should be pretty sweet when your finished. sub'd
bbfoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 144 mattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enoughmattyjman will become famous soon enough

great job on full coverage... its hard to be patient enough to do a "great" job rather than just a "that will do" job

2013 Camaro 2SS 1LE - HLCD Coming Soon!
mattyjman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement