2004 Monte Carlo - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013   #1
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 113 bigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enough

Default 2004 Monte Carlo

I've been putting redoing the install in my Monte for long enough. Still may take a while to finish but at least I finally started. Going to put in some gear I've had tucked back in the closet for many years. Will probably enter some MECA contest when done but I'm not going to be building this around the rule book. They'll just change it again anyway. They can put me in what ever class they wish, don't really care. I want to do this only to help me get it to sound as good as possible.

Also, one of my goals is to make this as stealth as possible. I want people to look in and say...So where's the stereo? We'll see how I do at that.

First, I wanted to show the state it's in now. All of this gear will be coming out. Eclipse 8443, 2-Boston Acoustic G2 10" subs, 1-Boston Acoustic GT-42 amp and a Boston Acoustic SL60 set in the doors.

Had to show this. When I was adding deadener to the doors I found this on the passenger door.

I've seen things like this done at the factory on other peoples cars but never on one of mine. I thought it was cool anyway.
bigbubba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013   #2
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 113 bigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2004 Monte Carlo

Here's what's going in:
ID mini horns with Selenium D2500TI drivers

JBL 2118 8" midbass in the kicks

2 IDW 15" subs mounted IB

All powered by 2 Soundstream Reference 500's and 1 Reference 300

Couple of accessories Streetwires fuse/ground distro and a PG DD-5 remote turn on.

Not 100% about this but may run these too. Rane AC23 and ME30's

Not sure about the HU as of yet.
Old 06-15-2013   #3
Upgrade Your Membership!

Haven't started on the kick panels yet but I knew there was an issue I needed to resolve first. I know some people tend to get bent out of shape about this so I think I found an answer for it, the parking brake.

This pic shows the brake engaged and it doesn't leave much room for the mid.

I made a card board mockup of it shortened
Normal position

Engaged

I made a new pedal arm at work out of 1/4" HRS

Test fit before cutting the arm

Cut arm off

Bolted new arm on and added rubber pad

Works just as intended from the factory while gaining several inches of clearance.

Old 06-15-2013   #4
Upgrade Your Membership!

Next I wanted to move the seats back a little. Not a lot, just 4". That may not sound like a lot but it is for me. I didn't want to relocate any mounting locations in the floor or anything. I took some measurements of the mounting locations where the seat attaches to the seat rails. Then cut some 1/4 HRS that had the existing mount location holes and the new locations pushed 4" back. Bolted the strips to the frame rails existing locations.

Then bolted the seat to the new hole locations.

This pic shows the seat moved all the way back stock.

This is all the way back with the new rails. All the way back, my feet don't touch the pedals unless I stretch my toes out.

The only thing left to resolve is the seat mechanism sticks out from the front of the seat a little. I will make a flap out of black vinyl to cover this.
Old 06-15-2013   #5

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 624 BigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond repute

That's some cool fabrications.

BigAl205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2013   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 172 JayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enough

In for kickpanel build pics. I like what I'm seeing.

Jay

JayinMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2013   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 115 decibelle will become famous soon enoughdecibelle will become famous soon enoughdecibelle will become famous soon enoughdecibelle will become famous soon enoughdecibelle will become famous soon enoughdecibelle will become famous soon enoughdecibelle will become famous soon enough

Yes! Bout damn time for another Monte build!

Also, I need to talk with you about your kick brake mod. Well done so far!
decibelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2013   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 91 bassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enough

Great fabrication so far!
bassfromspace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2013   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 113 07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough

Very cool ideas. Can not wait to see how this turns out.

Pioneer 80prs, Zapco DC 350.2 powering Audible Physics in the kicks/Soon to be DC 350.2 and DC 200.2 powering Morel Hybrid Integra 402, Zapco DC 750.2 powering Morel Elate MW 6 in the doors, Zapco DC 500.1 powering RE Audio SE (original series) 15
07azhhr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2013   #10
Upgrade Your Membership!

Thanks guys. Hope to get a lot further along on this but the rain and weekends have not been cooperating with my schedule the last 2 months.
Old 06-15-2013   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 91 bassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enough

Why are you ditching the 8443?
bassfromspace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2013   #12
Upgrade Your Membership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfromspace View Post
Why are you ditching the 8443?
I love the Eclipse but the main reason is I want receiver that blends in with the dash better. I thought about putting in my Pioneer P800 but I HATE the way Pioneer's handle Ipods when searching for songs. The Eclipse will stay till I find something I like better.
Old 06-16-2013   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 172 JayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enough

The newer Pioneer stuff is much better with the iPod integration. I haven't tried the 80PRS yet, but I know the P800 sucked. Their video pieces are much better for iPod use, but the SQ isn't as good as the P800, I'm sure.

Jay

JayinMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2013   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 93 EditTim will become famous soon enoughEditTim will become famous soon enoughEditTim will become famous soon enoughEditTim will become famous soon enoughEditTim will become famous soon enoughEditTim will become famous soon enough

Nice mod on the parking brake! I'm going to have to pass that mod onto friends...

EditTim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2013   #15
Upgrade Your Membership!

Thanks! It doesn't happen often but I sometimes I have ideas that work out ok.

I made the mounting plates for the waveguides today during lunch. Was going to test fit them after work but...surprise, surprise it started raining. Hopefully in a day or two.

Old 06-17-2013   #16

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 624 BigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice! Did you use a break to bent the metal, or did you rig something up?

BigAl205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2013   #17
Upgrade Your Membership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
Very nice! Did you use a break to bent the metal, or did you rig something up?
Thanks. Got one of the guys in the plant to form them on the press brake after I ran them off the punching cell. Hope I measured the holes right. If so, they should use all the existing bolts under the dash.
Old 06-18-2013   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 171 SteveH! will become famous soon enoughSteveH! will become famous soon enoughSteveH! will become famous soon enoughSteveH! will become famous soon enoughSteveH! will become famous soon enoughSteveH! will become famous soon enough

THIS IS GORGEOUS BRO, CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR IT BUBBA!
SteveH! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2013   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 155 pionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura aboutpionkej has a spectacular aura about

Looks good so far man!

Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
pionkej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2013   #20
Upgrade Your Membership!

Not much progress but did get some work done on the sub baffle. Cut out 4 pieces of 3/4" mdf.

Test fit in car

Installed the hurricane nuts

Glued, screwed and smoothed.

Old 06-27-2013   #21
Upgrade Your Membership!

Routed out area to flush mount the brackets to mount the side panels. Hopefully when the carpet is added you will never know they are there.

Old 06-27-2013   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 150 strakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura about

Very impressive. Love the use of steel

Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart SQ Build Log
Alpine, Helix, Mosconi, Arc, Clarion, JL, Xtant/Morel, Beyma, Acoustic Elegance

Living Room System Build Log
Denon, Behringer, DIYSG, Eminence, Celestion, Denovo, Energy, Alpine
strakele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2013   #23
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 125 shawnk will become famous soon enoughshawnk will become famous soon enoughshawnk will become famous soon enoughshawnk will become famous soon enoughshawnk will become famous soon enoughshawnk will become famous soon enoughshawnk will become famous soon enough

Ok I'm bumping this. Excellent fabrication on all points from what I see! Fantastic work so far, and I can't wait to see the install develope. Keep up the good work!!

shawnk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2013   #24
Upgrade Your Membership!

Yeah, I seriously need to get moving on this. Between work, rain, heat and humidity around here I've not got a lot done. No more excuses though.

I did spend an hour tonight laying on my back halfway in the trunk and half in the space where my back seat used to reside applying deadener to the bottom side of my trunk lid though. The sound of the rain bouncing off the trunk lid was very relaxing though.
Old 07-30-2013   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 93 EditTim will become famous soon enoughEditTim will become famous soon enoughEditTim will become famous soon enoughEditTim will become famous soon enoughEditTim will become famous soon enoughEditTim will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbubba View Post
Yeah, I seriously need to get moving on this. Between work, rain, heat and humidity around here I've not got a lot done. No more excuses though.

I did spend an hour tonight laying on my back halfway in the trunk and half in the space where my back seat used to reside applying deadener to the bottom side of my trunk lid though. The sound of the rain bouncing off the trunk lid was very relaxing though.
What, you have a life????

Awesome work on the sub baffle!
Love the IDW's...

EditTim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement