2009 G8 GT Build - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2014   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 145 JoshHefnerX will become famous soon enoughJoshHefnerX will become famous soon enoughJoshHefnerX will become famous soon enoughJoshHefnerX will become famous soon enoughJoshHefnerX will become famous soon enoughJoshHefnerX will become famous soon enough

Default 2009 G8 GT Build

First I want to say take it easy on my. My first build log.

Leaving the stock head unit in for now.
Using a RF 360.3 for processing
ES Full body Horns
Vifa P22wp Midbass
Subs I'm a little undecided at the moment but leaning towards a pair of old Adire Audio Brahma 15's IB

I decided I have fairly large map pockets in the doors and wanted to utilize that space so I built some fiberglass enclosures to go in there.
The Vifa is the large driver at the top of the pic

I bought some spare door panels incase this didn't work out. I cut out the back side of the map pocket by removing the plastic rivits.

Then glassed the inside of the pocket and the inside sheet metal of the door.

Trimmed and glassed the 2 halves together and got the basic shape.

Then I cut my rings out of mdf. The first set cracked when I tried to put the threaded bits into them so I remade them and went a bit thicker. This seemed to work.

Used some hot-glue and some 3/8 dowel to position the rings and stretched my fabric over it. Used CA glue and a spray to fast set it.

Resin'd the fabric cut the inner fabric and glassed the inside.

Then milkshaked it to make sure it's sealed.

The first pod took me several months working some weekends as I'd not used fiberglass before. The 2nd pod took me 2 weekends as I already knew what I was doing.

I stripped the car and laid out my wire. Had a bit of a moment when I pulled my kick panels off and realized that I had a fuse box and a distro box right where my door grommets entered the car. Found a page on the Grrr8 forum where someone showed that the grommets can be removed w/ some putty knives. http://www.grrrr8.net/showthread.php...l=1#post241081No molex! I got some thin welding rods and was able to use that to fish the speaker wire through that mess and into the door.

Trial fit the driver side horn, I had plenty of room in there, and could have pushed it back another inch or 2 but the body hit the front of the brake pedal first, so that was that.

Question, the passenger side has no brake pedal would it be better to push that back the extra inch or two since I can, or keep them somewhat symmetrical?

Josh
JoshHefnerX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2014   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 285 claydo has a reputation beyond reputeclaydo has a reputation beyond reputeclaydo has a reputation beyond reputeclaydo has a reputation beyond reputeclaydo has a reputation beyond reputeclaydo has a reputation beyond reputeclaydo has a reputation beyond reputeclaydo has a reputation beyond reputeclaydo has a reputation beyond reputeclaydo has a reputation beyond reputeclaydo has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: 2009 G8 GT Build

Loving the sealed mid enclosure.....how much volume did ya get out of that pocket?
claydo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2014   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
audio excellence
Position:
senior tech

Rep Power: 99 jpeezy will become famous soon enoughjpeezy will become famous soon enoughjpeezy will become famous soon enoughjpeezy will become famous soon enoughjpeezy will become famous soon enoughjpeezy will become famous soon enough

nice build so far, and actually if you could get both horns back as far as the passenger would be awesome, but to answer your question yes symmetry is best, measure from a solid center point in car to make sure they are equal,this will make sure the path length difference is as minimal as possible.thanks for sharing.
jpeezy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 145 JoshHefnerX will become famous soon enoughJoshHefnerX will become famous soon enoughJoshHefnerX will become famous soon enoughJoshHefnerX will become famous soon enoughJoshHefnerX will become famous soon enoughJoshHefnerX will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by claydo View Post
Loving the sealed mid enclosure.....how much volume did ya get out of that pocket?
Well, that's a bit of a story and a "learning experience". One of my learning experiences was that when I glassed the inside of that map pocket I laid the door flat on my workspace. Well when it came time to fit the door panel back on the door w/ the enclosure mounted it wasn't fitting. It took me a couple of weekends of head scratching about why it would fit on the bench and not on the door. then I figured out the door must have flattened enough to effectively lengthen the enclosure. So between it being too long and me having a tough time getting around a door support in the pocket I ended up cutting it off.

Just before I cut that off I had measured it compared to some wood enclosures I had built for testing and they were exactly on though I can't remember how big I made them. I'll re-measure at lunch. But I expect it to be fairly similar. The end I cut off wasn't very deep maybe an inch or so. I'm figuring I may have lost 25cu in or so. but I think I made most of that back up on the front end.

At the near side of the enclosure you can see the 'notch' I was having a hard time w/ the glass on.
Old 09-08-2014   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy View Post
nice build so far, and actually if you could get both horns back as far as the passenger would be awesome, but to answer your question yes symmetry is best, measure from a solid center point in car to make sure they are equal,this will make sure the path length difference is as minimal as possible.thanks for sharing.
I agree with you in pushing it back further, but I've learned that the long pedal gets you into trouble and the brake helps get you out of trouble. As much as I'd like to move that, not going to happen. The brake lever hits the horn about mid body, so there's not a whole lot I can do there. I think I'd gain roughly an inch if I could push it back though.
Old 09-08-2014   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 285 claydo has a reputation beyond reputeclaydo has a reputation beyond reputeclaydo has a reputation beyond reputeclaydo has a reputation beyond reputeclaydo has a reputation beyond reputeclaydo has a reputation beyond reputeclaydo has a reputation beyond reputeclaydo has a reputation beyond reputeclaydo has a reputation beyond reputeclaydo has a reputation beyond reputeclaydo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshHefnerX View Post
Well, that's a bit of a story and a "learning experience". One of my learning experiences was that when I glassed the inside of that map pocket I laid the door flat on my workspace. Well when it came time to fit the door panel back on the door w/ the enclosure mounted it wasn't fitting. It took me a couple of weekends of head scratching about why it would fit on the bench and not on the door. then I figured out the door must have flattened enough to effectively lengthen the enclosure. So between it being too long and me having a tough time getting around a door support in the pocket I ended up cutting it off.

Just before I cut that off I had measured it compared to some wood enclosures I had built for testing and they were exactly on though I can't remember how big I made them. I'll re-measure at lunch. But I expect it to be fairly similar. The end I cut off wasn't very deep maybe an inch or so. I'm figuring I may have lost 25cu in or so. but I think I made most of that back up on the front end.

At the near side of the enclosure you can see the 'notch' I was having a hard time w/ the glass on.
D'oh!..........so did you get it to fit, or are you saying the whole venture was for naught? I would love to have enclosure in my doors!
claydo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2014   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
D'oh!..........so did you get it to fit, or are you saying the whole venture was for naught? I would love to have enclosure in my doors!
It fits but I had to cut a little off the back of the enclosure. If you look at the first set of pics where I have the fabric and rings installed you can see it.
Old 09-08-2014   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Just measured compared to my test box, and it came out pretty much exact. 712cu in or .412 cu ft.

Old 09-08-2014   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
B and L Audio
Position:
Head installer

Rep Power: 102 Deathjunior will become famous soon enoughDeathjunior will become famous soon enoughDeathjunior will become famous soon enoughDeathjunior will become famous soon enoughDeathjunior will become famous soon enoughDeathjunior will become famous soon enough

As a fellow pontiac owner (2006 Torrid Red GTO) I'm in for this build. Plus I can get a few more ideas on the front stage.
Deathjunior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2014   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

I pulled the back seats and trunk panels out and realized there was a little more sheet metal back there than I expected. If I run 2 15's in there IB will there be enough breathing room in front in that pass through area? It's sized about 20" wide and about 11.5" high.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT Build Here
Old 09-10-2014   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 139 knever3 will become famous soon enoughknever3 will become famous soon enoughknever3 will become famous soon enoughknever3 will become famous soon enoughknever3 will become famous soon enoughknever3 will become famous soon enoughknever3 will become famous soon enoughknever3 will become famous soon enough

AWESOME!! Yes the caps were intentional, I always wanted to make a sealed enclosure for my mids too. Great work, and from another Pontiac fan at that!!
knever3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2014   #12

Rep Power: 0 perfecxionx will become famous soon enoughperfecxionx will become famous soon enoughperfecxionx will become famous soon enoughperfecxionx will become famous soon enoughperfecxionx will become famous soon enoughperfecxionx will become famous soon enough

how much time do you think it took to build each enclosure? are you going to put any deadener in the doors now?
perfecxionx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2014   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by knever3 View Post
AWESOME!! Yes the caps were intentional, I always wanted to make a sealed enclosure for my mids too. Great work, and from another Pontiac fan at that!!
Thanks! I made some wood boxes and listened to them in the house for a few weeks before I decided to move ahead. Hoping this pays of...

Old 09-10-2014   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfecxionx View Post
how much time do you think it took to build each enclosure? are you going to put any deadener in the doors now?
The first one was my learning time, I honestly can't say how much time I put into it. It was a bunch. I haven't done fiberglass before so this was my first shot at it. My second one I'd say I've got about maybe 20-25 hours in, but half of that is breaks. I live in phx so I go out and work for 15 mins go in and cool off for 15 mins. Plus running around for parts ect.

As far as deadening. I'm going w/ the less is more approach for now. I don't want to add a bunch more weight unless I need it. I don't see a ton of value in doing the door skin as the factory put some thin stuff on and with it being sealed it's not a big one. The rest of the car I'll spend time chasing down rattles and do as needed. I've added a fullsize spare and toolkit to the trunk that was enough I had to put stiffer springs in the back as it was. I'm also adding 100lbs of subs back there and don't want to kill performance.

Old 09-10-2014   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Oh, I am going to use some butyl rope between the pod and the inner door skin to help w/ vibrations there.

Old 09-13-2014   #16

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 97 therapture will become famous soon enoughtherapture will become famous soon enoughtherapture will become famous soon enoughtherapture will become famous soon enoughtherapture will become famous soon enoughtherapture will become famous soon enough

sub'ed

2015 Ford F150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4 "stealth audio"
DSR-1 / Alpine V9 / CDT-ES02 / Alpine S69 / (2) Dayton DCS165 vented
therapture is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2014   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Didn't get as much done this weekend as I wanted. Got the horns mounted, that was a pain in the ass. Driver side was much tougher than it should have been. Passenger side went ok, except that the glove box is hinged back in there so I couldn't push the horn up absolutely to the bottom of the dash and still open the glove box. Got about a 1/4" gap above the horn on the outside, the bottom of the dash isn't completely flat. Have to think about a way to flush that up....

Got the wires laid in and labeled. Once my trunk is finalized I'll trim them down and relabel them and cover w/ clear heat shrink.

Started cutting the bottom of the door panels to make way for the rings on the midbass enclosures. Found one problem on the passenger side (the first one) I'll have to notch the enclosure a little bit to clear a mount point for the door. Once I've got them in and playing how I want I'll make them look pretty. Was thinking some mdf rings w/ a metal grille covered with cloth. If you guys have any ideas let me know.

Josh

Old 09-21-2014   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Didn't get a lot accomplished but it sure did take a while. Got both doors back together with the pods in them. Really ugly. Need to make a grille, but I'm not going to do that until I'm satisfied that they sound decent. Was thinking of making a frame out of wood, adding some steel mesh for protection and stretching some cloth over it. Using some neo magnets to hold it on.

Josh

Last edited by JoshHefnerX; 09-22-2014 at 09:42 PM..
Old 09-21-2014   #19

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 96 REGULARCAB will become famous soon enoughREGULARCAB will become famous soon enoughREGULARCAB will become famous soon enoughREGULARCAB will become famous soon enoughREGULARCAB will become famous soon enoughREGULARCAB will become famous soon enoughREGULARCAB will become famous soon enough

^^^^^ takes balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehatedguy View Post
If you spend 6500 on a single sub, I will drive to your house and punch you in the balls.
REGULARCAB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2014   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by REGULARCAB View Post
^^^^^ takes balls
I bought these door panels from ebay. I still have my originals uncut. Can still return the car back to factory.

Josh

Old 09-23-2014   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 175 JayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enough

That's the smart way to do it.

Jay

JayinMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2014   #22
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 115 bigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshHefnerX View Post
I bought these door panels from ebay. I still have my originals uncut. Can still return the car back to factory.

Josh
Those doors are turning out really nice. I'm doing the same thing with mine. Found some door panels at the salvage yard a few weeknds back that are the same color as mine. Hope to get to work on them this weekend.

bigbubba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2014   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbubba View Post
Those doors are turning out really nice. I'm doing the same thing with mine. Found some door panels at the salvage yard a few weeknds back that are the same color as mine. Hope to get to work on them this weekend.
My wife just got out of surgery so I've been having to help her out a bit. But hopefully this weekend I'll at least have the front end wired and making noise.

You have a build log posted?

Josh

Old 09-23-2014   #24
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 115 bigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enoughbigbubba will become famous soon enough

Here's my build log but has not been updated in a little while. Hope to update some things soon.

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...nte-carlo.html

bigbubba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2014   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbubba View Post
Here's my build log but has not been updated in a little while. Hope to update some things soon.

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...nte-carlo.html
I like the equipment you're using. Wanted to buy some ref's but found out too late they were discontinued. What happened to the jbl's?

Josh

Sponsored Links
Advertisement