Bradknobs 14' Grand Cherokee Limited build... - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2015   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 130 bradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enough

Default Bradknobs 14' Grand Cherokee Limited build...

Guess I finally have enough pieces of the puzzle to start a log for my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited....

Those of you that followed my RAM build know that It was nearly complete until it met its fate in the form of a Mini Cooper.
2012 Ram crew cab sport build... - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

A few days after that mishap, my first daughter was born so I opted for a more family friendly vehicle, which would need a more "family friendly" system. Therefore the old gear was sold or traded in order to down size a bit. The vehicle will be used a decent amount by the wife when I'm working and those of you with kids know, they require A LOT of crap just for a simple trip to the store. So This build can take up about zero of the available cargo area. Now on to the good stuff.

The victim....

Was a little too grocery getter-ish at first so I dropped it 2" and put some jeep SRT8 wheels on it.

The gear...

Helix DSP pro
ground zero GZUA 4.150SQ X 2
Ground zero GZUA 2.250SQ (coming soon)
Audio frog GB12 subwoofer
SI TM65 mids
Scanspeak ring radiators.
A lot of deadener

The unknown....

-Mid range for 3 way front. If I decide to take that route.
-5-1/4" for rear fill.
-my main concern, is how to deal with the oem head unit signal. The factory amp applies eq and time alignment so I'm unsure how that will affect things if I feed it directly to the helix. Wondering if I need a clean sweep or something similar to clean it up before the signal goes to the DSP?? May just hook it up as is and see what happens. Any suggestions on this?

The plan....

After I deaden, mlv, and ccf the crap out of everything, I plan to use the factory locations for the front mid and tweeter. Sail panel and door. If I do 3 way, I will build another set of pillars. I will replace the spare tire with a 12v compressor and plug kit and utilize the giant spare tire well for sub and amps.... Simplicity in sound style. I will make it to where the floor can be put back in when I need to throw all the baby crap back there.

Stay tuned...
bradknob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to bradknob For This Useful Post:
I Love BMW (08-22-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2015   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 115 SHAGGS will become famous soon enoughSHAGGS will become famous soon enoughSHAGGS will become famous soon enoughSHAGGS will become famous soon enoughSHAGGS will become famous soon enoughSHAGGS will become famous soon enoughSHAGGS will become famous soon enoughSHAGGS will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Bradknobs 14' Grand Cherokee Limited build...

Good looking ride.
Nice touches on the exterior, and nice selection for the interior.
Sub'd for the fun.

"I've spent half my money on gambling, wiskey, and wild women...... I wasted the rest."
SHAGGS is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2015   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 132 nineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enough

I'm in for the Frog! What's going to be powering that GB? Also looking forward to your impressions of the tm65 compared to your previous Dyn 172's.
nineball76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 130 bradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball76 View Post
I'm in for the Frog! What's going to be powering that GB? Also looking forward to your impressions of the tm65 compared to your previous Dyn 172's.

The GZUA 2.250SQ will power it. Whenever I get it. Does 1200 @ 2ohm.

I'm pretty excited about the TMs. The jeep door speaker location is knee height or a little higher compared to down by the ankles like the RAM. I think that should help. Although they still have some big shoes to fill.
Old 10-11-2015   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 132 nineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradknob View Post
The GZUA 2.250SQ will power it. Whenever I get it. Does 1200 @ 2ohm.

I'm pretty excited about the TMs. The jeep door speaker location is knee height or a little higher compared to down by the ankles like the RAM. I think that should help. Although they still have some big shoes to fill.

Awesome info. I had originally planned a ks300.2 per gb12 but today thought a ks600.2 would be better. Looks like I may be right. I'm waiting for tm65 sales to open back up. If they wait too long I'll have ordered the Dyns. I know I won't be disappointed either way.

Congrats again on the little one! Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.
Old 10-11-2015   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Awesome info. I had originally planned a ks300.2 per gb12 but today thought a ks600.2 would be better. Looks like I may be right. I'm waiting for tm65 sales to open back up. If they wait too long I'll have ordered the Dyns. I know I won't be disappointed either way.

Congrats again on the little one! Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Thanks a lot bro. No feeling in the world like it.

And I'd almost be kidding myself saying I will have only 1 GB12 in this vehicle for very long. Lol. And had the MW172s not needed so much surgery to get in the jeep, I'd still have them.
Old 10-11-2015   #7

Rep Power: 77 truckguy will become famous soon enoughtruckguy will become famous soon enoughtruckguy will become famous soon enoughtruckguy will become famous soon enoughtruckguy will become famous soon enoughtruckguy will become famous soon enough

Sub'd for great gear and vehicle. I've been really tempted buy that sub.

Last edited by truckguy; 10-11-2015 at 07:17 PM..
truckguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2015   #8

Rep Power: 80 etroze will become famous soon enoughetroze will become famous soon enoughetroze will become famous soon enoughetroze will become famous soon enoughetroze will become famous soon enoughetroze will become famous soon enough

In for the build, get going Brad.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Pioneer AVH-X4700BS->Helix DSP->Mosconi AS100.4-> KAXBLTW, AS100.4-> Hertz ML1600, Mosconi AS300.2-> SI 12 MagV3
etroze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2015   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

I did manage to get started on a few things this weekend. Cut, tech flexed, and labeled the wire for the front. Gonna wire it for three way while im there. Ya know. Just in case....12ga knukoncepts kord speaker cable.

Finally got some use out of my DIYMA R12 I've had lying around...

I hear this adds extra SQ... Lol. Spent a lot of time on this just so I can stuff it under the carpet out of sight.

I also was able to get some adapters cut for the 6.5"s.

Only about 1/2" between the factory speaker and inner door panel so I had to rabbet the back of the adapter so it sits down in the oem 6x9 baffle.

I could have gone about this an easier way, but this free time snuck up on me by surprise so I had to use what I had on hand. 3/4" mdf. Next I'll spray with some truck bedliner to protect them a little bit.
Old 10-11-2015   #10

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 88 DavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enough

Alright, I'm ready. Let's do this! You are making wish I got a GC... that thing looks great man!

2018 Jeep GC - AF GB10s, GB25s, GS690s, Zapco & Mosconi amps, (2) AF GB12s, Helix Pro MK2 & Director, Fiio X5
"Just slap some drywall screws in it, and you'll be fine"
DavidRam is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2015   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRam View Post
Alright, I'm ready. Let's do this! You are making wish I got a GC... that thing looks great man!

No way, stick with us Ram guys!
Old 10-11-2015   #12

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 88 DavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enough

Quote:
No way, stick with us Ram guys!
Sold the Ram... But ordered a Wrangler, so still in the same family.

2018 Jeep GC - AF GB10s, GB25s, GS690s, Zapco & Mosconi amps, (2) AF GB12s, Helix Pro MK2 & Director, Fiio X5
Old 10-11-2015   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 139 shutmdown will become famous soon enoughshutmdown will become famous soon enoughshutmdown will become famous soon enoughshutmdown will become famous soon enoughshutmdown will become famous soon enoughshutmdown will become famous soon enough

sub'd looking forward to this build

Team Zapco
shutmdown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2015   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRam View Post

Thanks.... I'm sure we'll both want change in a few months. Then we can just swap vehicles.
Old 10-12-2015   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 140 teldzc1 will become famous soon enoughteldzc1 will become famous soon enoughteldzc1 will become famous soon enoughteldzc1 will become famous soon enoughteldzc1 will become famous soon enoughteldzc1 will become famous soon enough

In for this!

Alpine CDE-HD149BT - Helix DSP
Sony XM260G - Sony XES-M3 - JL HD 750/1
Illusion Audio CuBe - Focal Utopia 165 W-RC - JBL W12GTi
teldzc1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2015   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 105 Jon225 will become famous soon enoughJon225 will become famous soon enoughJon225 will become famous soon enoughJon225 will become famous soon enoughJon225 will become famous soon enoughJon225 will become famous soon enough

Looking nice. In for demo.

2008 Toyota Tundra Limited stock JBL for now motor issues at 385,000 miles.
2007 Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins quad cab.. Took a long hiatus from audio and looking to get back into the hobby.
Jon225 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2015   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 96 MoparMike will become famous soon enoughMoparMike will become famous soon enoughMoparMike will become famous soon enoughMoparMike will become famous soon enoughMoparMike will become famous soon enoughMoparMike will become famous soon enough

Looking forward to the build. Traded my Ram in on a 15' Durango R/T and have yet to pull a panel.

2015 Dodge Durango R/T - Audio build log - Morel - Sundown - JL Audio - Zapco - KnuKonceptz - Stinger
MoparMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2015   #18

Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks.... I'm sure we'll both want change in a few months. Then we can just swap vehicles.
Lol, good plan!

Looking forward to what you do with this one...

Old 10-17-2015   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Default Bradknobs 14' Grand Cherokee Limited build...

One of my prayers has been answered...,

The newest helix pro software includes an input EQ!! Now I don't have to worry about how the oem signal will affect performance.

And on another note, I built some pillars and went from 2 way to 3 way front for a buddy and the difference was substantial. So 3 way it is.

Anyone have experience with these? I have a defrost vent behind the pillar so I need something small to be as unobtrusive as possible.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...-2-full-range/

Or any other recommendations?
Old 10-17-2015   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 109 seafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura about

^^^ No experience with those, but looking at the specs, they are rated at only 10w and 80db so they MIGHT have trouble keeping up with the rest of your system if it is anything like the awesome one that you built in your Ram. Anyway, while much more spendy, I would suggest looking at the new Audible Physics AR2.6 full range driver-- Pics and specs on this page--

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9055542&type=3

Last edited by seafish; 10-17-2015 at 11:27 AM..
seafish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2015   #21

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 81 High Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enough

Subbed

High Resolution Audio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2015   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafish View Post
^^^ No experience with those, but looking at the specs, they are rated at only 20w and 80db so they MIGHT have trouble keeping up with the rest of your system if it is anything like the awesome one that you built in your Ram. Anyway, while much more spend, I would suggest looking at he new Audible Physics AR2.6 full range driver-- Pics and specs on this page--

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9055542&type=3

Very interesting. Price wasn't the concern as much as size/performance. I was just wondering if them being on directly on axis in a smaller vehicle could over come the poor efficiency .... I was also looking at the audiofrog GB25. But that AP 2.6 looks mighty fine... Who can I talk to about those? Any idea who's a dealer for them on the forum?
Old 10-17-2015   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 109 seafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Very interesting. Price wasn't the concern as much as size/performance. I was just wondering if them being on directly on axis in a smaller vehicle could over come the poor efficiency .... I was also looking at the audiofrog GB25. But that AP 2.6 looks mighty fine... Who can I talk to about those? Any idea who's a dealer for them on the forum?
Member Rishi is the owner/designer of AP and is very accessible to end users….you can pm him directly for info. That being said, member papasin has long term use experience and relation with AP and has been helpful providing me with info about the NZ3 and NZ3AlBE that I own. I would contact either of them.
seafish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2015   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

Awesome.... Thanks for that info .
Old 10-17-2015   #25

Rep Power: 68 dengland will become famous soon enoughdengland will become famous soon enoughdengland will become famous soon enoughdengland will become famous soon enoughdengland will become famous soon enoughdengland will become famous soon enough

Subbed. Good to see you back in the build business Brad.

RAM 1500 with a Helix DSP PRO build log) || PPI 600.2 -> Hertz HV 165XL (front doors) || PPI 900.4 -> Hertz HL 70s (dash) / Hertz HCX 165 (rear doors) || JL Audio JX500/1D -> JL Audio 10W3V3 (Hertz HT 28 now sitting in a box)
dengland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement