I've done lots builds, used to be an installer, but it turns out, I hate retail. After leaving the industry, I took a LONG break from tinkering with car audio. However, I did have a bunch of nice gear sitting on the shelf. A few years ago I started lurking on the forums again, and in 2013 started playing with my 1986 Bronco. In 2014 I did a whole bunch of work. I'm about to start another round of work, so I thought I'd start a build thread.
I'll start off by recapping my ownership of it.
Here is the Bronco the day I bought it in late 2013:
Days like this are why I love it so much, top down on the beaches of Carova:
Moving from Virginia to Texas last summer, I got a flat on the trailer:
I converted from a carb to Holley Terminator EFI:
Spectre Performance ram air setup, you can also see a bit of the battery and the headers:
The headers are Bassani and ceramic coated. They feed a Bassani 3" y-pipe and Gibson cat-back. The stock cat has been removed.
It sounds pretty good (VERY short video):
The battery setup, I also upgraded to a 130amp 3G alternators and did the big 3:
I have a few JL ground lugs in the vehicle, I want to tie them all together. I was lucky that this one screwed right into a factory nut welded to the fender:
I did all the typical DIYMA sound damping stuff, I went a little overkill on the doors:
The bracing you see is also tied into the outer skin in two places with bracing on the outer skin as well. The doors are no longer like a skeet of tin foil, they are sturdy, close with a solid thud you've never heard from an 80's Ford, and sound like solid wood when you knock on them.but I still have some more work to do
For the last year or so my system has been this:
My iPhone has been my main source, with a Pro-Clip mount holding it to the dash. A Pioneer DEH-P800PRS has basically just been a volume control, with a PPI DEQ.8 handling the processing duties. After that I have Image Dynamics CD2 Comps with mylar diaphragms on big bodies, powered by a Zapco AG200. A pair of super cheap Pioneer 6.5" coaxs with the tweeter and crossover disabled, powered by a bridged JL 300/4v1. And last, pair of Image Dynamics IDMax12v3's powered by a Zapco ST-1500XM.
It has worked ok-ish, but I knew the mids were living on borrowed time. Yesterday the left mid released the magic smoke. I was actually surprised it lasted that long, I wasn't exactly gentle on it:
Smoking the mid has prompted the next round of upgrades, they will happen over the next week or so. I'll still be using my iPhone as the source, but I'm eliminating the head unit. I'm replacing it with a Lighting to HDMI adapter and HDMI audio stripper feeding a digital signal to the DEQ.8. I had a custom faceplate made up for the DEQ.8 controller by a DIYMA member. It has a spot for the bass knob on the right side so it'll look like an old shaft radio. I'm not sure if I should use the big knobs or little knobs:
Tonight I took my dremel to some cutting boards to make some speaker rings, I'll trim them as needed tomorrow.
I'll have a pair of IDQ8v1's and Audax PR170M0's to go in the doors. The IDQ's will be powered by the bridged JL 300/4, and the Audax mids will be powered by an MTX RT2400.
I'll take more pictures of the install as I work on it this weekend. The amps and processor are mounted to the sides of the bed so that I can build new panels to hide them. At the moment the subs are in a prefab box I picked up from Amazon Prime for $40, they have about 1.5 cubes each. I plan to build them into the sides of the bed as well. All the RCA's are custom made by me and I made a cargo cover to hide it all until I can build the new interior panels.
More to come this weekend...