2010 MX-5 / Miata Build - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2017   #26
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 96 nadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2010 MX-5 / Miata Build

that sucks. the minis should fit in there a bit better. the jbl/selenium 2408hs are smaller drivers as well, might help with clearance on the back side.

i'm pulling my minis and selenium d2500tis out, they'll need a new home in a couple weeks if you're interested.

with idq62s and minis+d2500s, i ended up with heavy natural rolloff/valley between like 2000 and 3500. figuring how to prop up that space was a challenge. i imagine the idq8s will be a bit wider.

nadams5755 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2017   #27
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 132 LumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura aboutLumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura aboutLumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura aboutLumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura aboutLumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura aboutLumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura aboutLumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura aboutLumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura aboutLumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura about

I'll be going with the mini bodies with the straighter entrance, and Eric's newest drivers. The smaller driver, combined with the straighter entrance, should allow everything to fit.

When the top comes off, the tops come off!
1986 Bronco Build
2010 Miata Build
LumbermanSVO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2017   #28
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 132 LumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura aboutLumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura aboutLumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura aboutLumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura aboutLumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura aboutLumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura aboutLumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura aboutLumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura aboutLumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura about

I'm working in sunny San Diego and I learned that last last there was softball size hail at home. The Miata is parked at work of has some "bad dents" and a hole in the top. One of the guys at the shop made a temporary patch for the roof. I've already started the insurance claim.

The Bronco is at home, I haven't heard anything about it yet.

I won't be hime until Friday and I leave for two weeks on the following Tuesday.

1986 Bronco Build
2010 Miata Build

Old 03-27-2017   #29

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 99 Elgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enough

Ho shit, and they went through the soft top! Must have been something, sorry for you man

Elgrosso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2017   #30
DIYMA 500 Club

I got home today and got to see the hail damage, it's pretty bad. At least 30 dents, this one is in a terrible location:

The hole in the top is right in the center. The insurance adjust will look at it tomorrow morning.

There is also a hole in the top of the Bronco, but no dents. I only have liability insurance on it, I get to replace the top myself.

1986 Bronco Build
2010 Miata Build
Old 04-01-2017   #31
DIYMA 500 Club

The estimate for repairs is about $4k, ouch! I'll get a new top, hood, passenger door skin, taillights, new paint on the trunk, and a bunch of other little things.

The real kick in the nads was learning about my insurance policy. If I had comprehensive on the Bronco, then the deductible would cover both cars. Instead, I get to replace the top on it myself, and it's $550.

To help ease the pain, I ordered another amp for my home subs, it'll arrive tomorrow. So instead of 700 watts, I'll have 2200. That should help some, right?

1986 Bronco Build
2010 Miata Build
Old 04-24-2017   #32
DIYMA 500 Club

I just got a call from the shop, after their estimate, it might be totaled.

They assured me that I'll be able to pull my audio gear if it is, as long as the stereo is fully functional when I'm done.

If it's totaled I'll buy another 2009+ 3rd gen with low miles and start over.

1986 Bronco Build
2010 Miata Build
Old 04-25-2017   #33
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 392 captainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond repute

Oh man...so sorry to hear that. I was surprised when you said it was onlky around $4k from the insurance adjuster. Sounded like a LOT more money in repair labor and paint for that kind of damage.

Better start looking for replacements now just in case. Man, what a bummer. I really liked that color too.

------------------------------------------------------
2018 Iasca ProAm Champion
2018 Meca Extreme 2nd Place

2018 Mike Baylor Sportsmanship Award
captainobvious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2017   #34
DIYMA 500 Club

If it's totaled then it'll be awhile until I can replace it. I'm about to head out for 12 weeks straight on the road. I'll have to go car shopping in the fall.

I just hope they make a decision soon so that if I have to pull upgrades I have the time to do it.

1986 Bronco Build
2010 Miata Build
Old 04-25-2017   #35
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 392 captainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond repute

Might want to pull them just in case now if you're able. Once they total it, if you're on the road you may not get the opportunity to retrieve that stuff.

------------------------------------------------------
2018 Iasca ProAm Champion
2018 Meca Extreme 2nd Place

2018 Mike Baylor Sportsmanship Award
captainobvious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2017   #36
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 189 Mic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura about

Once they declared my wife's car totaled we had 48hours to remove any personal belongings

2010 MECA Extreme World champion,
2005 IASCA World Champion Pro 600+
2010 MECA Mike Baylor Sportsmanship Award
2011 MECA SQL Spirit Award
2012 MECA SQL Judge of The Year
2012 IASCA FINALS SQ/INSTALL Judge
2012 USACi Japan Finals Judge
2013 IASCA FINALS IQC Install Judge
Mic10is is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2017   #37
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic10is View Post
Once they declared my wife's car totaled we had 48hours to remove any personal belongings
That concerned me a bit, so I called the insurance company. They won't make a decision until the end of this week or the beginning of next. They wouldn't answer anything about having a timeline to get my stuff once they make a decision.

This kinda works with my schedule. I leave for Houston in the morning to setup a tournament and plan to return on Monday. The good thing is, I'll be close to home, so I can return early if I need to. Unlike most tournaments I'm at, I won't be the boss, and my boss will totally understand if I have to leave early. I'm really just going to this one to help make sure a friend gets off to a good start on their first gig with the company.

On the 8th I leave for 12 weeks.

1986 Bronco Build
2010 Miata Build
Old 04-26-2017   #38

Rep Power: 34 thereddestdog will become famous soon enoughthereddestdog will become famous soon enoughthereddestdog will become famous soon enoughthereddestdog will become famous soon enoughthereddestdog will become famous soon enoughthereddestdog will become famous soon enough

What a damn bummer, such a nice car..

Maybe invest in a carport when you get another car? I've been looking at Palram carports myself

2010 Colorado V8 Crew Cab (Build Log) (Updated 22MAY2017)
JVC KW-V420BT || JL Audio HD900/5 || Stereo Integrity TM65+M25 || Image Dynamics IDQ8v1 x2
thereddestdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2017   #39
DIYMA 500 Club

I'm renting, and park in the street, so not an option. The Miata was actually at work when it happened.

1986 Bronco Build
2010 Miata Build
Old 05-02-2017   #40
DIYMA 500 Club

I just got a call from the shop, it's NOT totaled!

1986 Bronco Build
2010 Miata Build
Old 05-02-2017   #41
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 359 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Good news! Now how long do you wait for the repair?

Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Helix DSP.2 | Zapco Z-150.6 AP + Z-400.2 AP (x2) | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Raven 10XL (x2)
2015 MECA SQL Street | 2017 & 2018 MECA Modex California State Champion
Sonic Electronix Discount Code: hutsell
rton20s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2017   #42
DIYMA 500 Club

They said late next week. But it doesn't matter too much, I leave on a work trip on Monday and won't be home until late June.

1986 Bronco Build
2010 Miata Build
Old 05-02-2017   #43

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 99 Elgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enough

Cool, worryless trip!

Old 06-20-2017   #44
DIYMA 500 Club

I got home today and have five days off before my next trip. On the way home I was able to pickup the Miata from the shop, it looks great!

My new horn bodies were waiting for me too!

I mocked them up, and I'm afraid that horns just might not happen for this car. The driver side fits great, perfect actually! But even with the smaller horn and better throat entry angle, it's just not gonna clear the blower motor.

So, what do I do now?

I have the IDQ8's in the doors and a DEH-P800PRS installed. Do I try to find a tweeter that'll play low enough to pair with the IDQ8's? Or do I go with something like an Audiofrog 2.5 and a tweeter? The three way would push the limits of the crossovers in the headunit, but I do have a JL TwK sitting around, as well as a handfull of amps...

What would you do?

1986 Bronco Build
2010 Miata Build
Old 06-20-2017   #45

Enthusiast

Good & bad news!

Maybe you could still try, I mean to install the right one best as possible and test. Even with 1 or 2 inches height difference, tilted a bit, might work?

Or would a shorten/modded full body be ok? Motor down.
It looks like it's more the depht that is a limit though.

Other path: gb25 in the vents!
I think I would try if I had your car.

How are the doors? Can you fit a PA closed back midrange above the 8"?

Or a PA coax 8" in doors and call it a day!

Old 06-20-2017   #46
DIYMA 500 Club

I've already mocked up the full bodies, they take up WAY too much foot room with the motors hanging. The car is small enough as it is, so taking up too much room is a real concern.

Here is a picture of the stock door panel:

And the door:

I'd bet a a GB25 or maybe even GB40 can fit in the factory tweeter location if I remove the factory grill and use the AF mounting hardware. Then put a GB10 just above it on the door panel.

I could use my JL 300/4 to power the 8 and mid, giving each 75 watts. And a Zapco AG200 on the tweeters for 50 watts each.

I could also bridge the 300/4 for the 8's, for 150 watts each. Then an ancient MTX RT2400 on the mids for 100 watts each. And the Zapco on the tweets.

It's a good thing I have time to think about this stuff!

1986 Bronco Build
2010 Miata Build
Old 06-21-2017   #47

Enthusiast

Oh yeah 3 way in doors, with tweeter in the top panel in front of the handle, 3 chrome rings aligned all the way, that would be very nice (but far from horns).
The gb25 with hardware almost size 4’’, so the gb40 I guess would be close to 6’’, might not fit.

Old 06-21-2017   #48
DIYMA 500 Club

I downloaded the AF owners manuals today and will measure things tomorrow. It would be awesome if the chrome rings from a mid perfectly in the tweeter opening.

Running two more sets of speaker wires to the doors is gonna be painful, eak.

1986 Bronco Build
2010 Miata Build
Old 06-21-2017   #49

Enthusiast

If I remember the 25 and 40 have the same depth.
The gb15 is interesting too, goes quite low.

Old 06-22-2017   #50
DIYMA 500 Club

So, I looked at the GB15, and it is interesting. Also, I have a bunch of M25's sitting around, and they are interesting too.

GB15:

M25:

I've asked Nick how low I can go with them at 24db/oct on the AG200, time to ask Andy the same question.

1986 Bronco Build
2010 Miata Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement