2012 BMW F30 - Hybrid Audio DIY Install - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2017   #1

Rep Power: 0 sparcorel will become famous soon enoughsparcorel will become famous soon enoughsparcorel will become famous soon enoughsparcorel will become famous soon enoughsparcorel will become famous soon enoughsparcorel will become famous soon enough

Smile 2012 BMW F30 - Hybrid Audio DIY Install

Hi everyone,

This wants to be a journal of my install and also a place where to get help since i do this as a DIY project. Also note that it may be slow since I do have a day job and I'm doing this in my little spare time. This was also my first contact with fibre glass and resin so excuse my mistakes...

Equipment list - some it may find it familiar

- Hybrid Audio Legati L4 Carbon, L6 Carbon, L1 Pro R2 and Clarus C12
- Alpine PDX V9 x 2, one for each side
- Mobridge DA3

ps. equipment is second hand so it will have some dings and scratches here and there especially tweeters but read it below how i've improved.

Accessories:
- Bluesea SafetyHub 250
- Vandamme and Cordial cabling, 2.5mm all around
- CTK standard and Vibe Antivibe deadening materials

Before starting the build albums, please note this is my first time working with fibre glass, resin and stuff so... i maybe made mistakes.

A pillars and tweeters:

First I've sourced some "spare" pillars, made some rings from some sort of PVC aimed as good as I thought, used some pantyhose stretched over, apply resin, and two layers of fibre glass, filled inside with a milkshake of bondo and fibreglass and wrapped them in a "microfiber" some sort of alcantara fabric.

Tweeter marks fixing:

Since I've mentioned that the equipment is second hand, i fixed the tweets marks by wrapping in vinyl.

Trims Wrapping:
Since i've wrapped the A pillars in another color than the rest of the car... i though i should also wrap some trims to match it

Last edited by sparcorel; 03-16-2017 at 05:04 PM..
sparcorel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2017   #2

Rep Power: 0 sparcorel will become famous soon enoughsparcorel will become famous soon enoughsparcorel will become famous soon enoughsparcorel will become famous soon enoughsparcorel will become famous soon enoughsparcorel will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2012 BMW F30 - Hybrid Audio DIY Install

Amp rack:

Tried to make everything as tidy as possible and separate power vs signal

Subwoofer box:

Molding, lots of resin, fibre glass and layers, vinyl wrapping, deadening, stuffing with mineral wool total weight including woofer 19kg.
Tested sub by connecting it to a Logitech z5500 and it's awesome. Internal volume measured by filling it with water is around 37 liters. Great experience working with fibre glass and around 30 hours of work. The enclosure is pretty thick... 8-10 mm on places and i've used around 8 liters of resin.

Next Steps:
- deaden the front doors and trunk
- run the wires
- install L4 carbons in doors
- install under seat baffles and cut the floor of vehicle so the mids breathe to outside
- tuning

And here i need your advice, cutting is not a problem, protecting from water, snow, dust it's my concern.

I've got some speaker rain shield material used to protect speakers but on a water test the water kinda goes right through it, thinking 2 to 3 layers will prevent from splashes... but i still think the dust will go trough... or it will gunk up at some point.

I've sourced some Gore Tex material... that is supposed to breathe and keep water out... it keeps water out... but i hardly can breathe through it.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by sparcorel; 03-16-2017 at 05:06 PM..
Old 03-16-2017   #3

reserved 1

Old 03-16-2017   #4

Rep Power: 53 Jdmeyers will become famous soon enoughJdmeyers will become famous soon enoughJdmeyers will become famous soon enoughJdmeyers will become famous soon enoughJdmeyers will become famous soon enoughJdmeyers will become famous soon enough

for a diy job, you implemented quite a few good techniques. Kuddos
Jdmeyers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Jdmeyers For This Useful Post:
sparcorel (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmeyers View Post
for a diy job, you implemented quite a few good techniques. Kuddos
Thank you so much... i'm a self taught in DIY... being it aquariums, music, audio builds I learn as much as possible from others, ask tons of questions, measure 3 times... cut once... etc... you know... that type of person
Old 03-17-2017   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 110 carlr will become famous soon enoughcarlr will become famous soon enoughcarlr will become famous soon enoughcarlr will become famous soon enoughcarlr will become famous soon enoughcarlr will become famous soon enough

Looking really good!
carlr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2017   #7

Under seat woofers install

A lot of thinking on this, hope i did it right, 4 layers of speaker rain shield ("phono transparent sponge") and one layer of pantyhose on top, sandwiched in between speaker grilles. Still need to attach the baffles firmly to the chassis.

Old 03-18-2017   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 110 carlr will become famous soon enoughcarlr will become famous soon enoughcarlr will become famous soon enoughcarlr will become famous soon enoughcarlr will become famous soon enoughcarlr will become famous soon enough

Hats off - that's a brave under seat install right there!
carlr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2017   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 94 werner sline will become famous soon enoughwerner sline will become famous soon enoughwerner sline will become famous soon enoughwerner sline will become famous soon enoughwerner sline will become famous soon enoughwerner sline will become famous soon enough

infinite baffle is very interesting !

what range of frequency should those LS play ? what size are those ?

I can think of any material dust/water proff that breaths. But why not a soft rubber sheet ? well... actually, it might "dance" too much with the speaker !

check my car, I choose a 5L sealed box under the seat for a 2 little focal 13ws subwoofers

Last edited by werner sline; 03-18-2017 at 05:59 AM..
werner sline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2017   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by werner sline View Post
infinite baffle is very interesting !

what range of frequency should those LS play ? what size are those ?

I can think of any material dust/water proff that breaths. But why not a soft rubber sheet ? well... actually, it might "dance" too much with the speaker !

check my car, I choose a 5L sealed box under the seat for a 2 little focal 13ws subwoofers
Hey, LS will play ~70 - 170 atm.
Old 03-22-2017   #11

More install pictures

Everything is hooked up, and started messing up with gains, crossovers and time alignment.

Managed to get a pretty good center image from the driver seat, but the TA looks very strange to me in order to get that image... but at least it works. Soon I'll get a measuring mike so i can do proper eq and TA.

ps. Vehicle is BMW, there's a bug in the MoBridge app on MacOS...

First impressions:

- Sub hits like there is no tomorrow ...
- midrange and tweets are so damn sweet
- under seats... hmmm love them but there's room to be improved, they hit good but still something seems to be missing, waiting for microphone first in order to eq them properly.

I also need to figure out how to match the speakers so for example the tweeter doesn't drown mids, or underseats not to be too loud...etc...not that like it doesn't sound good now but still maybe when i'll get the mike i can see it on REW.

I would like some guidance on how to match their level if anyone wants to share.
Old 09-04-2017   #12

Rep Power: 0 csansom will become famous soon enoughcsansom will become famous soon enoughcsansom will become famous soon enoughcsansom will become famous soon enoughcsansom will become famous soon enoughcsansom will become famous soon enough

From the pics it doesn't look like you glassed the front of the stealth box. Looks like you stretched some fabric across the front, but when I expected to see you putting resin on it, instead you had a picture of what looked like bondo or putty?

You didn't really address how you placed your speaker ring either. Wooden dowels? If so did you just leave the dowels in place or remove them?
csansom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2017   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by csansom View Post
From the pics it doesn't look like you glassed the front of the stealth box. Looks like you stretched some fabric across the front, but when I expected to see you putting resin on it, instead you had a picture of what looked like bondo or putty?

You didn't really address how you placed your speaker ring either. Wooden dowels? If so did you just leave the dowels in place or remove them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by csansom View Post

Yes there was, fabric and a few layers of glass over the fabric a mix of glass and and bondo was also poured in and spread all around to reinforce.

The speaker ring was held in place by a temporary support brace until the resin hardened... than it was removed.

I have 70KG and jumped on top of the box... with no flex...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement