Jay's 2015 Mazda 6i Touring build thread - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2017   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 175 JayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enough

Default Jay's 2015 Mazda 6i Touring build thread

OK, since the Kia is gone, I guess I'll start a build thread for the new car.

I'm not planning to use any of the old equipment in the new car.
Here's the current (evolving) plan...but I haven't bought anything yet.

Head Unit
Pioneer AVIC-4100NEX
PAC Audio SWI-RC for steering wheel controls.
May use an Arduino to integrate the knob in the center console.
If I don't use the SWI-RC, I will probably do an iDatalink Maestro RR
Axxess Interfaces AX-MAZCAM-6V to retain the factory backup camera
Microbypass Parking brake interface
Axxess Interfaces AX-USB-35-EXT USB/Aux plate (there is an issue with retaining the factory port in the center console)
Metra 95-7522B Dash kit

Front Stage

Illusion Audio C3CX 3" point source coaxes, likely on the a-pillar
Illusion Audio C8W 8" shallow midbass in the door. Not cutting the car up this time, or giving up my foot room. Besides, there's a fuse box in the
kick panel.

Subwoofer(s)

Acoustic Elegance IB12AU's (I have a 14 cu ft trunk, and the numbers say 2 of these give me a system Q of .702)

Signal Processing

Undecided, but leaning toward:

Mosconi 4to6 or 6to8v8
Mosconi RC Mini (so I can use an Arduino to interface my volume controls with the processor)

Power/Ground Distribution/Wire

I saved my Streetwires Distro block and ground block from the Rio.
Will probably pick up a 200A breaker for up by the battery.
Power/speaker wire will likely be from Knu Koncepts again. Second choice is Tspec (which I can get locally).

Probably going to run 14ga to all the speakers, and 12 or 10 to the subs.

There may or may not be some Techflex involved. lol

Amplification

Currently thinking about either (2) Alpine PDX-V9's, or a PDX-F4, and F6 and an M12.
I'm leaning toward these because I might build an amp rack that hangs from the rear deck and I could hide all the wires, and the controls would all face out for easy accessibilty.

This car ACTUALLY came with a spare tire, and I want to leave it in there, if I go with my second choice amps (2 Arc Audio KS300.4's and a KS1200.1) or 3rd choice (Mosconi) I'd have to put them down there.

Sound Control/NVH

Mainly Soundskins deadener and speaker rings (although FAST rings might make an appearance if Soundskins doesn't have an 8" ring)
MLV (at least in the front doors.)

RCA's

Probably Stinger 6000 series.

That's my current plan. I'm sure it will change some before I start tearing the car apart.

The Victim:

2015 Mazda 6i Touring, in Snowflake white pearl. Black Leather(ette) interior.
19" wheels, manually shiftable automatic transmission (no paddles), dual zone A/C, rear seat heat/A/C vents, push button start, etc.

It will be getting tinted with Panaflex heat rejection window film.

The current HU has HD Radio, USB, Aux, Pandora control, Bluetooth and hands free. And the implementation of just about all of it is horrible.
Since I don't have Bose, the radio doesn't control any of the car's options, so changing it won't present a problem.
However, cars with the Bose option have a 9" woofer in the door. And I've seen TheJesus' build thread on here and Mazda6club's forum, and he got Hybrid L8's in his, so the C8's should be easy. Haha.

Rear speakers will remain off the radio power, so that I can fade them off or on when there are rear passengers.

That's what I'm thinking anyway...lol

Jay

JayinMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2017   #2

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 628 BigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Jay's 2015 Mazda 6i Touring build thread

I can't wait to see where you take this new build
BigAl205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to BigAl205 For This Useful Post:
DJ_Slacker (06-14-2017)
Old 04-16-2017   #3
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 359 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like this one is going to be really nice. If you decide you want to go with Arc KSs, let me know. I've got a KS900.6 and KS600.2 in great condition that I'll be selling soon.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Helix DSP.2 | Zapco Z-150.6 AP + Z-400.2 AP (x2) | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Raven 10XL (x2)
2015 MECA SQL Street | 2017 & 2018 MECA Modex California State Champion
Sonic Electronix Discount Code: hutsell
rton20s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 175 JayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys.

I'm going to try to collect everything before I put it in and go with a solid plan of attack instead of making changes part way through.

I'm enjoying this car a lot right now, and I like to drive when we travel, so I want to keep it's functionality intact.

If I don't go IB, I'll do some shallow subs so I don't lose too much of my trunk.

It's 45" deep at the bottom, the rear seat opening is 39" wide and from floor to rear deck brace is about 16 or 16.5"

I almost want to keep my Bitone, but I'd like something with more (some) parametric bands. Not a fan of the PS-8.

Jay

Old 04-16-2017   #5
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 359 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

I've been very happy with my 6to8 V8. I know some people don't care for the Mosconi interface, but I haven't had any issues with it.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Helix DSP.2 | Zapco Z-150.6 AP + Z-400.2 AP (x2) | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Raven 10XL (x2)
Old 04-16-2017   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

It's not as intuitive as the Bitone or Helix, but once you've done a few they're not bad.

I can't remember if the 6to8v8 had parametric or not. I'll have to look.

Jay

Old 04-16-2017   #7
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 52 toneloc2 will become famous soon enoughtoneloc2 will become famous soon enoughtoneloc2 will become famous soon enoughtoneloc2 will become famous soon enoughtoneloc2 will become famous soon enoughtoneloc2 will become famous soon enough

JayinMI,,,,,, my opinion I think you should do the build in the jeep in the back ground,,,,, you might get more followers,,,, lol.

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...new-build.html
8201nex dsp pro mk2 director,
zapco 150.6 ap zapco z-3kd-2
gb10, gb25, gb60, 2x gb10d2
toneloc2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2017   #8

Rep Power: 59 danzell will become famous soon enoughdanzell will become famous soon enoughdanzell will become famous soon enoughdanzell will become famous soon enoughdanzell will become famous soon enoughdanzell will become famous soon enough

Following
danzell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2017   #9
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

The Mosconi processors do have parametric EQ. The newer models group the EQ differently than the old.

Old 04-16-2017   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneloc2 View Post
JayinMI,,,,,, my opinion I think you should do the build in the jeep in the back ground,,,,, you might get more followers,,,, lol.
That Jeep has had all the "system" it's probably going to get since '09. lol
My GF doesn't care about sounds. She let me put a radio, amp and sub in it because I drive in it ocassionally. Admittedly, she does like the radio and CarPlay.

For the record, it has:

Pioneer AVIC 4200NEX
TMA 4 channel amp
JL Audio 8w3 on the fender well because I had to remove the Infinity sub to make room for her brother's wheelchair lift.

Jay

Old 04-20-2017   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 125 eddieg will become famous soon enougheddieg will become famous soon enougheddieg will become famous soon enougheddieg will become famous soon enougheddieg will become famous soon enougheddieg will become famous soon enough

Hey Jay,

That is one of the best carד today a person can get if he intends to install an after market audio system!

The doors are made to endorse 9 inch woofers due to the bose system option.

I had a friend which installed a morel elate 903 in the stock locations - on a Genesis dual mono extreme (903 passive setup).

A small touch of time correction, minimal eq correction and the car sounds like a dream.

Subi Legacy 10: Morel+HAT CDM880&L1v1+HybridOvation 602 Sub Audison TH10 BASSO Audison VOCE AV5.1K FullDA Nexus7+SabreDAC with Audison Bit One running the show

Last edited by eddieg; 04-20-2017 at 03:04 AM..
eddieg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017   #12

Rep Power: 62 MrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enoughMrGreen83 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
Thanks guys.

I'm going to try to collect everything before I put it in and go with a solid plan of attack instead of making changes part way through.

I'm enjoying this car a lot right now, and I like to drive when we travel, so I want to keep it's functionality intact.

If I don't go IB, I'll do some shallow subs so I don't lose too much of my trunk.

It's 45" deep at the bottom, the rear seat opening is 39" wide and from floor to rear deck brace is about 16 or 16.5"

I almost want to keep my Bitone, but I'd like something with more (some) parametric bands. Not a fan of the PS-8.

Jay

If u decide to part with the Bit One, keep me in mind. Looking for one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrGreen83 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 125 eddieg will become famous soon enougheddieg will become famous soon enougheddieg will become famous soon enougheddieg will become famous soon enougheddieg will become famous soon enougheddieg will become famous soon enough

Check out their new baby: Bit One HD

Audison bit One HD

Subi Legacy 10: Morel+HAT CDM880&L1v1+HybridOvation 602 Sub Audison TH10 BASSO Audison VOCE AV5.1K FullDA Nexus7+SabreDAC with Audison Bit One running the show
Old 04-20-2017   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 134 danno14 will become famous soon enoughdanno14 will become famous soon enoughdanno14 will become famous soon enoughdanno14 will become famous soon enoughdanno14 will become famous soon enoughdanno14 will become famous soon enough

I've got a spare 6to8v8 if you need it...

Courtesy of Chad:
Prepare to have your brain melted and read enough audiophile jibberish to want to freebase a baby duckling.
danno14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2017   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

I keep going back and forth on changing the processor.
I've had the BitOne.1 for about 8 years now and other than an LCD display issue on an old DRC, it's been bullet proof.

I've also already interfaced the steering wheel controls with the DRC in my old car (so I already know how to do that, and it wouldn't be much more than changing the button values to get it to work in this car).

The software is pretty simple to figure out. If the 6to8 had a similar GUI I'd have already switched. lol

The only down side, and I haven't experienced this personally, is that if you try to feed an optical signal sampled at something over 44.1k, it will lock up, I'm told. Not a big deal for me, unless I change to a Sony GS9 or something in the future (not real likely).

Either way, I'll probably post all the stuff I decide to sell this weekend, including my C10XL and my 3 Sony Mobile ES amps. I also have a set of budger Kenwood components and a Dayton RSS265HO. There will be a few things going up soon.

I did pick up my radio of choice today from a co worker. It's used, but I got it for about $60 below cost and it came with a harness, dash kit (not for my car) and a Microbypass.

That will be going in soon because the factory radio sucks.

Jay

Old 04-21-2017   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieg View Post
Hey Jay,

That is one of the best carד today a person can get if he intends to install an after market audio system!

The doors are made to endorse 9 inch woofers due to the bose system option.

I had a friend which installed a morel elate 903 in the stock locations - on a Genesis dual mono extreme (903 passive setup).

A small touch of time correction, minimal eq correction and the car sounds like a dream.
Yeah. The car is very solid, and even with 37000 miles on it doesn't squeak or rattle. I saw TheJesus' build thread on here and on the Mazda forum and he got Hybrid Legatia L8's in the doors. My plan is for Illusion C8W's in the doors (with lots of Soundskins and some MLV) and some Illusion C3CX's initially in the dash, but later probably in pods on the a-pillar.

Mine didn't come with the Bose option (thankfully) but I like that the option for a large woofer is there.

Jay

Old 04-21-2017   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
Not a fan of the PS-8.

Jay
I got to put one in yesterday. They've updated the software, from the looks of it, since the last one I did. I didn't hate it.

Jay

Old 04-24-2017   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

As for bit rate - the Bit One HD does 24/192 so you don't get the power cycling issue any more when you use Android 6 for example and you would also be able to use the GS9 if that is the case.

This is also true for the BIT TEN D

The only thing I am not sure of is if the Bit One HD can work with the old DRC just as well. I know the Bit Play can work with either one of them but the HD processor - not sure.

P.S - For android 6 in many cases you can change the sound configuration file so that it won't try to sync any higher than 16/48

Old 04-24-2017   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

I'm not going to run my tablet (which is only like Android 4.4 anyway), and most likely not a GS9, so I'm not that concerned with it. The BitOne sold, so I need to come up with something. Looking at the Helix DSP.2 right now, but that could change.

I drive a lot and have never gotten around to competeing, so I'm using a Pioneer NEX radio as my head unit.

Jay

Old 04-24-2017   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

Yeah, I thought I'd probably stay with My Nexus 7 and sabre DAC forever - The custome ROM I use on it was 4.4 based too.

But eventually some application I really liked to install no longer supported anything lower than 5.1 and the Nexus hardware started failing on me - Charging port - fixed, battery, swapped but finally the internal storage gave up...

When I got sick of being tied up to a single tablet and looking for smartphones that support USB Audio and host - Getting them to work without audio issues each time the OS upgraded I finally decided that for me it is not the way to go.

So I went and got my self a Mosconi AMAS-2 and hooked it up to my Bit One Optical in and ever since that moment I can simply use as a head unit what ever comes up in mind that can stream audio via BT.

The AMAS-2 can hook it self up to anything that has an optical input and it is connected directly to the car electrical system - Another option you may consider.

Old 04-24-2017   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

I have considered it, actually...and it's always an option since the processors I'm considering all have optical in. I could also do something like Bertholomey is doing and run a media player like the Fiio he has. When I run all my cabling, I'll just run an optical cable with everything "just in case" I use a media player, and extra power/ground for an AMAS-2 as well.

Jay

Old 04-26-2017   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Well, after running a tablet in my last car for a few years, I decided it really wasn't worth it. Especially after I put a Pioneer 4200NEX in my GF's Jeep.
My tablet runs on Android 4.4, and in order to run Android Auto you need at least 5.0. When it got cold, I'd have charging issues that usually required me to remove the tablet from the car and charge it in the house to knock some sense back in to it.

When I recently upgraded to my '15 Mazda 6i Touring, I was quite happy with everything about the car except the audio system. It had a lot of features I wanted (BT hands free, read/send SMS messages, Pandora integration, etc) but they were all integrated very badly. One thing I never liked about having a tablet was that with a Samsung Tablet and Motorola phone, there was no simple way to allow me to make and answer calls from the tablet...so I decided to go with a Pioneer 4100NEX for myself. I picked it up pretty reasonably from a co-worker who also got a new vehicle, and he isn't changing his radio, so he didn't need this anymore. With a firmware update, it's essentially the same as a 4200NEX.

Now, The last few years, my GF and I do some roadtrips...and this radio can do Apple Car Play and Android Auto. You have to use specific USB ports for each, however. I'm really into factory integration...but this car only had one USB and an AUX port in the center console, and there is some issue using any of the few pieces that are supposed to retain the factory USB port. So, I did a little research and found out the Axxess Interfaces (Metra) makes a piece called the AX-FDUSBAUX. It is intended to replace a knockout on Ford vehicles, and gives you 2 separate USB ports, an AUX AND an HDMI. I picked on up on Amazon. I opened up the hole in the center console where the factory ports were, and put this in it's place. Let's start there...

Here's my collection of parts:

Factory USB/Aux

Measured, and marked for cutting.

Hole cut.

New panel in place.

Harness Tesa taped, and run along the passenger side of the console.

One snafu, tho. I ordered an 18" extension for the HDMI cable, and 3 foot USB extensions...The HDMI came up about 8" short. I don't plan to ever use the feature, but I'll probably order a 3' extension just because.

The reason I wanted to have both USB ports accessible, is because I use an Android phone and she has an iPhone. This way whoever is driving can just plug their phone in and go. She's used to Car Play from her Jeep anyway.

I guess this is the first official "build" post in the thread. lol

Jay

Old 04-26-2017   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

The HU came with a Microbypass which lets me avoid having to trigger the parking brake before I can get into certain menus and/or set destinations for Nav, etc.
I picked up the Dash kit, wiring harness and antenna adapter for $20 on eBay, and also got a Metra (Axxess) AX-MAZCAM-6V which allows me to retain the factory camera, and comes with a piece so I can feed it 6V like it wants to see. I also got 2 3' USB extensions, 1 18" HDMI extension and used one of my leftover 3' RCA's for Aux. No idea why the pic in the above post is upside down.

I picked up the PAC SWI-RC from work, even tho it doesn't officially support this car, it works with some others that use the same radio. It's also easier to manually program than the Metra (Axxess) ASWC-1. That might come into play later if I attempt to integrate the i-Drive style knob in the center console.

Anyway, here's the obligitory "Installed" pics of the radio.

Get to try it out more tomorrow. The lack of steering wheel controls will suck for now, but at least it came with a wireless remote.

Jay

Old 04-27-2017   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

Regarding the tablet issues, I hear you... I hear you!

This is why for me what works out best is just using my smartphone with BT direct connection to the AMAS.

The good thing about it is that ANY phone can connect so no matter who drives it would work.

But steering integration, FM Radio - these are all things I don't really use any of them ( I use the DRC only for volume control)

The OEM brands HUs work much smoother, definitely something I miss having now and then.

Man, awesome work over the car! I'm sub'ed!

Old 04-27-2017   #25
Upgrade Your Membership!

jtaudioacc

12V Company:
JT Audio & Accessories
Position:
Owner/Installer/Janitor

Rep Power: 139 jtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGreen83 View Post
If u decide to part with the Bit One, keep me in mind. Looking for one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
too bad i didn't see this. i had one but put it in it's rightful place.

jtaudioacc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jtaudioacc For This Useful Post:
captainobvious (04-27-2017), req (05-11-2017), rton20s (04-27-2017), SkizeR (04-27-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement