2006 Lexus RX330 Build Log. First Build At The New Location! - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2018   #1
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,119 Posts
Rep Power: 442 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Default 2006 Lexus RX330 Build Log. First Build At The New Location!

And here we have it! The very first build of 2018 and very first FULL build at Apicella Auto Sounds new location!

Robert contacted me about 6 weeks ago looking to do a build in his newly acquired 2006 Lexus RX330. Over that time we went over ideas, constraints, timing, etc etc. Just before the new year he was able to drive from Richmond Virginia all the way up to New York to finally let me get my hands on it.

Over the weeks leading up, we also tossed ideas as to what equipment would be best for his goals, which were to maintain a semi-stock look while giving the best possible sound quality as he has plans on competing in the future, and not take up to much space.

The equipment we settled on were:

Pioneer 6200 (already installed)
Audible Physics Ram 2Q
Audiofrog GS690
Tang Band 2" fullrange
(2) Illusion Audio C10Helix Director
Helix PSIX MK2
Zapco ST-1000XMii

Before we get into things, i want to give a huge thank you to my friend Matei (who got me into this hobby) for helping me out for a few days (and kinda made himself a part time employee lol), and Kevin "Mullings" for helping out for a day. Thank you!

Another side note... apparently when you work 65 hours in 4 days, your brain goes numb to things that dont fully matter and i may have forgotten to get various finished pictures.. Robert will be sending me some soon.

Heres the main power wire fusing. 0 gauge from battery and split to the alternator and to the amps, along with the additional upgraded battery ground to the frame.

GS690 with our standard wiring practices.

Note: Audiofrog does not advise soldering to the GS series terminals due to the plastic housing. I trusted my soldering skills to get it done without any harm and succeeded. YMMV

Doors fully deadened with about 8 SDS tiles per door, holes sealed up with aluminum and deadener and GS690's installed on composite baffles that use the oem mounting locations. On top of the GS690's is closed cell foam rings to couple the airspace in front of their cone to the cabin, while isolating them from the door panel and taking the airspace behind the door panel out of the equation. Also a close up of the closed cell foam rings that i make instead of using the pre-made open cell foam ones, which defeat their own intention of sealing the airspace while decoupling the door. The door panels were also hit with deadener and were spot treated with CLD, foam, etc to prevent any rattles and resonances.

On to the A pillars, which i forgot to get finished and installed pics of

We decided on using the Audible Physics RAM 2Q as a wideband. The pillars feature fully sealed enclosures, are on axis, and are sunken in enough to qualify for street class in MECA with their new rules for 2018. They are flush mounted into the baffles and leave enough wiggle room to wrap the pillars and still have them fit nicely.

Also, the RAM 2Q and the chamfered backside of their baffle

First step.. cut em up. Then prep for glass, and then take the first initial mold of the a-pillar frame.

Next up was installing the pillar and glassing a mold of the dash while also glassing the original mold to the pillar. After that the glass was trimmed and baffles were secured.

Back of the sealed enclosure on the pillar. After this pic was taken, more glass was added around the edges to seal it fully and to adhere it to the pillar better

Body filler and sanding all done. Unfortunately, this is the last pic i have of the pillars I will post them when Robert sends me pics tomorrow.

Since Robert had two extra channels available from the Helix PSIX MK2, we decided to have a go at rear fill since ive had good luck with it in the past. Heres a before shot of the D-pillar.

Me making a mold of the rear pillar. Thanks for the photo Kels. This was made out of 3 layers of Biaxial mat. Very strong stuff and amazing to work with in certain situations.

Baffles for the 2" Tang Bands made. If you remember, i used these in the versa and figured i'd give them another go since i knew what their size was like.

Baffles aimed and secured to the molds, then were fully glassed, filled, and sanded.

Final piece test fit, along with a shot with both from the rear. You can hardly see them.

Now these were a royal bitch to make. So essnetially, what i did was make another baffle, which was routed out to flush mount the 2" drivers to them. then they were fully wrapped over in alcantara, as was the pod. Then the baffle was secured to the front of the pod. you cannot see the driver from the front, and the alcantara acts as a natural low pass filter, which is normal for rear fill anyway. They start rolling off at about 4.5k at 12db/octave. With the crossover i pushed it to acoustically roll off at 3.5k.

Fully wrapped and ready for install. Unfortunately no installed pics as well. I pretty much only got finished pics of the trunk. FML. Will wait for Robert to send me a few. I will say this though.. the alcantara matched the factory pillars PERFECTLY.

We were originally going to go with a Helix URC.3. We ended up just using a Director instead. The bracket that housed it was made out of acrylic and fiberglass. First step was the housing for the director, then the brackets that matched the panels they were being attached to shape.

The brackets and housing were then duraglassed to the panel to make the fit tighter, then fully glassed and filled.

Test Fit. Unfortunately no finished install pics. It was finished in Sem texture coat and painted to match the beige panels.

With the amps and subs taking up the leftover space in the trunk, we had to improvise with the jack and jack accessories. Matei made a wooden panel to attach brackets for the jack and a pouch for the accessories. The pouch was made out of left over alcantara. The brackets, which are made out of HDPE, are cut to fit the jacks profile and secure it by expanding the jack.

Trunk emptied of all panels to finish running power wire and see what we have to work with.

The amp rack cut out and test fit. Note the hole to access the spare tires lowering hoist. Also a shot of various wires ran through the rack.

Last edited by SkizeR; 01-10-2018 at 08:24 PM..
SkizeR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2018   #2
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Rep Power: 442 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Default re: 2006 Lexus RX330 Build Log. First Build At The New Location!

In previous cars ive noticed that the PSIX amp can get very hot. So we decided to add fans. Matei made the baffle, installed and wired them. This was his, and i quote "favorite part of this install".. weirdo. The baffle was painted black to match.

On to the beauty panels. When kevin came in he helped make a template for the beauty panels. He make the overall shape, then we all decided on what would look best in terms of cut outs, and he cut them out. Thank you Kevin.

The panels all were rabbeted on the underside to account for material thickness.

test fit with acrylic in place

Start of the enclosure. made from 3/4" Birch and fiberglass. The bottom edge of the sides were cut as closely as possible to match the profile of the trunks floor. 5 layers of biaxial mat, and some regular 1.5oz mat on the sides were used for the bottom side of the enclosure.

Filled and wired.

The top of the enclosure was used as a template for the sub enclosures beauty panel.

Everything installed.. 100% hidden with zero compromise.

The woofers were flush mounted and the enclosure was wrapped in black suede while the panel was wrapped in black vinyl. I love the look of the contrasting textures.

And the amp rack all finished.

Thanks again for looking! And i promise i will get the pics of the rest of the install tomorrow.

Old 01-10-2018   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 64 Truthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enough

Undeniable talent you have for this stuff Nick. Looks amazing

"Many ideas grow better when transplanted into another mind than the one where they sprang up." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

2015 Camry Build Log
Truthunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Truthunter For This Useful Post:
SkizeR (01-10-2018)

Old 01-10-2018   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 146 tbomb will become famous soon enoughtbomb will become famous soon enoughtbomb will become famous soon enoughtbomb will become famous soon enoughtbomb will become famous soon enoughtbomb will become famous soon enough

Great install, but pretty sure that's an RX330

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2011 VW GTI : Stock HU : JBL MS-8 : JBL MS-a1004 : JBL P660 components : JBL P662s center : JBL MS-a5001 : JBL P1022
tbomb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to tbomb For This Useful Post:
SkizeR (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018   #5
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 40 AyOne will become famous soon enoughAyOne will become famous soon enoughAyOne will become famous soon enoughAyOne will become famous soon enoughAyOne will become famous soon enoughAyOne will become famous soon enough

WOW! Way to start the new year with a bang.

AyOne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to AyOne For This Useful Post:
SkizeR (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018   #6
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyOne View Post
WOW! Way to start the new year with a bang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthunter View Post
Undeniable talent you have for this stuff Nick. Looks amazing
Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbomb View Post
Great install, but pretty sure that's an RX330

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
dang it.. fat fingers strike again

Old 01-10-2018   #7
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 164 casey will become famous soon enoughcasey will become famous soon enoughcasey will become famous soon enoughcasey will become famous soon enoughcasey will become famous soon enoughcasey will become famous soon enough

wow! excellent work! Love the usability of the trunk space all while being able to make an awesome display for the subs and amps

I love to overthink things.
casey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to casey For This Useful Post:
SkizeR (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018   #8

Rep Power: 65 GEM592 will become famous soon enoughGEM592 will become famous soon enoughGEM592 will become famous soon enoughGEM592 will become famous soon enoughGEM592 will become famous soon enoughGEM592 will become famous soon enough

Wow, very interesting one. Love the sparing the spare tire part, and the interesting mid install. Great job.
GEM592 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GEM592 For This Useful Post:
SkizeR (01-10-2018), stixzerjan (02-23-2019)
Old 01-10-2018   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 glide 1 will become famous soon enoughglide 1 will become famous soon enoughglide 1 will become famous soon enoughglide 1 will become famous soon enoughglide 1 will become famous soon enoughglide 1 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to glide 1

Cant see pics Nick. Would love to see this build.

www.SparksAI.com
Great Brands, Good Prices, Excellent Customer Service
DIYMA members receive 10% off their entire order with Code: DIYMA10
glide 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2018   #10
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glide 1 View Post
Cant see pics Nick. Would love to see this build.
try this link

https://imgur.com/a/6Gq3c#NSrhp2N

The Following User Says Thank You to SkizeR For This Useful Post:
Babs (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018   #11
Blu
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 134 Blu will become famous soon enoughBlu will become famous soon enoughBlu will become famous soon enoughBlu will become famous soon enoughBlu will become famous soon enoughBlu will become famous soon enough

Looking great - congrats on the new location!

The more I start to understand, the more I realize I have so much to learn.
Blu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2018   #12
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 159 cmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enough

Cool install. My wife has a 2009 RX350 with the same color interior. She hates car audio but this gives me some ideas if I ever want to do a system in her SUV.
cmusic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2018   #13

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 85 DavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enough

Very nice, Nick! Way to break-in the new shop!

2018 Jeep GC - AF GB10s, GB25s, GS690s, Zapco ST & Mosconi Pico amps, (2) AF GB12s, Helix Pro MK2 & Director, Fiio M9
My wife was furious when she overheard me say I want to do a 3 way in my Jeep.
DavidRam is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2018   #14

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Technician

Rep Power: 47 Mullings will become famous soon enoughMullings will become famous soon enoughMullings will become famous soon enoughMullings will become famous soon enoughMullings will become famous soon enoughMullings will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2006 Lexus RX330 Build Log. First Build At The New Location!

Nice build nick, it was fun working with you guys,definitely looking forward to helping you out with more projects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mullings is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2018   #15
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

UPDATED PICS FROM ROBERT!

Last edited by SkizeR; 01-11-2018 at 12:07 PM..
Old 01-11-2018   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 158 foreman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enough

Atta boy Nick, great work

Deck-DEX-P99Rs, Amp-Arc xdi v2 1200.6
Dash-Xtant XIS 2.4
Doors-Scan Rev's, sub SI Mag 4....
foreman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to foreman For This Useful Post:
SkizeR (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018   #17
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 48 Dan750iL will become famous soon enoughDan750iL will become famous soon enoughDan750iL will become famous soon enoughDan750iL will become famous soon enoughDan750iL will become famous soon enoughDan750iL will become famous soon enough

Awesome work!!! Love the rear fill solution.
Dan750iL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan750iL For This Useful Post:
SkizeR (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 152 quickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the rough

Beautiful work Nick

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

2013 VW CC and as I said down low!

When You Think Your Done! Reality is..... is just the beginning
quickaudi07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to quickaudi07 For This Useful Post:
SkizeR (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 209 Babs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the rough

Wow!!!! Just ... Wow!
Love every part of this build!

2008 Civic Si Sedan - Fiio X5ii SPDIF, Phone USB HEC, Helix DSP Pro-2, Helix Director, JL XD1000/5v2 (2), Audiofrog GB10/GB25/GB60, Acoustic Elegance SBP12 (2)
Build Log
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Babs For This Useful Post:
SkizeR (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 122 aholland1198 will become famous soon enoughaholland1198 will become famous soon enoughaholland1198 will become famous soon enoughaholland1198 will become famous soon enoughaholland1198 will become famous soon enoughaholland1198 will become famous soon enough

Excellent work! What are the pillars and rear fill pods covered with? I have a 2011 and would like to build the pillars.

aholland1198 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2018   #21

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 52 dcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enough

Top level pillar with as usual. Would not be surprised if a top install nomination was coming soon
dcfis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to dcfis For This Useful Post:
SkizeR (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018   #22
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 38 mrichard89 will become famous soon enoughmrichard89 will become famous soon enoughmrichard89 will become famous soon enoughmrichard89 will become famous soon enoughmrichard89 will become famous soon enoughmrichard89 will become famous soon enough

Awesome work as always, Nick!
mrichard89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to mrichard89 For This Useful Post:
SkizeR (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018   #23
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholland1198 View Post
Excellent work! What are the pillars and rear fill pods covered with? I have a 2011 and would like to build the pillars.

Alcantara. I can get you the color code if you want (or even sell you some as I have some left over)

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Old 01-11-2018   #24
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfis View Post
Top level pillar with as usual. Would not be surprised if a top install nomination was coming soon
Thank you, but I doubt it. I have a long way to go for that

Old 01-11-2018   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 122 aholland1198 will become famous soon enoughaholland1198 will become famous soon enoughaholland1198 will become famous soon enoughaholland1198 will become famous soon enoughaholland1198 will become famous soon enoughaholland1198 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
Alcantara. I can get you the color code if you want (or even sell you some as I have some left over)

My interior is grey, but I appreciate the offer.

aholland1198 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement