New Build - 2018 Grand Cherokee - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2018   #1

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 90 DavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enough

Default New Build - 2018 Grand Cherokee

I pulled all the audio out of my Mazda and traded it in on this beauty! It's the Altitude trim with leather seats (two tone with suede). For those of you who know the JGCs they have an enormous spare tire/storage area which is perfect for subwoofers and amps!

2018 Jeep GC - AF GB10s, GB25s, GS690s, Zapco & Mosconi amps, (2) AF GB12s, Helix Pro MK2 & Director, Fiio X5
"Just slap some drywall screws in it, and you'll be fine"
DavidRam is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidRam For This Useful Post:
Coppertone (06-19-2018), mechatron (06-20-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2018   #2

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 90 DavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enough

Default Re: New Build - 2018 Grand Cherokee

I have the following equipment from my Mazda:

Zapco 4 channel and sub amp, Audio Frog GB10s, GS40s and GS60s, MiniDSP 6x8, Fiio x3 and a Kicker 2 channel for rear fill.
(2) JL 10tw3s in a sealed box.

Basically this stuff:

I haven't decide which way I am going to go with this build... Not sure if I will use any of the above equipment, either.

The wheels are turning in my mind!

2018 Jeep GC - AF GB10s, GB25s, GS690s, Zapco & Mosconi amps, (2) AF GB12s, Helix Pro MK2 & Director, Fiio X5

Last edited by DavidRam; 06-20-2018 at 07:37 PM..
Old 06-19-2018   #3
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 50 Dan750iL will become famous soon enoughDan750iL will become famous soon enoughDan750iL will become famous soon enoughDan750iL will become famous soon enoughDan750iL will become famous soon enoughDan750iL will become famous soon enough

That's where I was when I got my Explorer a few months back. Still trying to make final decisions.

Nice looking ride. Congrats!
Dan750iL is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan750iL For This Useful Post:
DavidRam (06-19-2018)

Old 06-19-2018   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 161 Coppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of light

Awwwww, you got me there as we were talking about rwd and American lol. Very nice look, and as always waiting to see which way you go with this.

(2.5GT) Limited Legacy / Pioneer 4800BS /Audison APK-165
Turbocharged / 6 speed / awd/ goodness ( For SALE )

(2018) Accord 2.0T Touring (10speed) turbocharged
Coppertone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Coppertone For This Useful Post:
DavidRam (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 183 chithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of light

Subbed!!! Still working on a plan for our 2014 Grand Cherokee. Looks like the PAC Amp-Pro is an awesome piece to bypass that factory amp and get a great signal to start from, and you can get optical output from an optional add-on PAC offers. I've picked up the Rockford Fosgate DSR1 to use instead. And you're right, much as the idea of losing the spare tire seems bad, the space under there is ginormous!

You considering rear fill with this build? Those rear D pillars really are tiny, but Morel offers are 2.5" wideband now that might could work.

chithead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to chithead For This Useful Post:
DavidRam (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018   #6

Enthusiast

Thanks guys!!

Here are the doors I'm working with, I think they are 6x9s. They sound pretty good for factory speakers...

Seats with suede inserts:

Last edited by DavidRam; 06-21-2018 at 08:15 AM..
Old 06-19-2018   #7

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
Subbed!!! Still working on a plan for our 2014 Grand Cherokee. Looks like the PAC Amp-Pro is an awesome piece to bypass that factory amp and get a great signal to start from, and you can get optical output from an optional add-on PAC offers. I've picked up the Rockford Fosgate DSR1 to use instead. And you're right, much as the idea of losing the spare tire seems bad, the space under there is ginormous!

You considering rear fill with this build? Those rear D pillars really are tiny, but Morel offers are 2.5" wideband now that might could work.
Not sure if I am going to do rear fill... But if I do there is plenty of space in the trunk to do some pods.

I think I could talk myself into loosing the spare, it wouldn't be the first time I was spare-less... Honestly, I have never had an actual flat tire in my life. A couple times I have had a nail in the tire, but was able to make it to the tire shop. Maybe having one of those small compressors on board could be cool...

Speaking of on-board, it has 115v outlet in the center console! That's pretty cool...

Aside from audio, I am going to do some other fun stuff, too. First, I'll get spacers to bring the wheels flush with the fender, and next will be lowering it with SRT springs.

Old 06-19-2018   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 183 chithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of light

Heck yeah! I'd love to go in that sportier direction with ours, but it's one of the off road oriented WK2, so going in the other direction.

Totally with you on the spare. Only had one, and of course for that instance, did not have a tire in the trunk. Doh! But, we're going with taller tires than stock anyways, so the spare will be useless on ours.

You thinking about getting the Audiofrog GS690 to complement your other ribbit gear?

Old 06-19-2018   #9

Enthusiast

Quote:
Heck yeah! I'd love to go in that sportier direction with ours, but it's one of the off road oriented WK2, so going in the other direction.

Totally with you on the spare. Only had one, and of course for that instance, did not have a tire in the trunk. Doh! But, we're going with taller tires than stock anyways, so the spare will be useless on ours.

You thinking about getting the Audiofrog GS690 to complement your other ribbit gear?
Mine is 2wd, so it will stay on road. Are you going to lift yours and do new wheels and tires??

I am thinking, maybe I should try the AF 6x9s... The stock one has some shockingly decent bass, I was swearing that this thing has a subwoofer somewhere, but it doesn't.

I have never used a 6x9, are there any down sides over a 6.5??

The Following User Says Thank You to DavidRam For This Useful Post:
mechatron (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

No lift for ours, it has the Quadra-Lift air suspension to raise up for certain terrain, but heck yeah, these babies can tuck 32" tires no problem. Will be keeping the stock wheels, just changing tires.

But man, these WK2 can go sporty so easily. Especially yours, love the Altitude trim option, with the blacked out trim and tail lights, and the colored mesh grille pieces!

Hoping more will chime in on the 6x9 - HillBilly SQ has those AF GS690 and loves them. He is using them with just tweeters, no midrange, and from what I understand, it really jams. Think he has an AudioFrog subwoofer too. Awesome combo. I'm torn between keeping it 2 way in the front doors, or adding a midrange to the pillars. The DSR1 processor only has eight channels of output, and two are just for the subwoofer(s) So can either have 2 way plus rear fill, or 3 way. Kinda wish it had 12 channels, to retain the center channel and D pillar speakers, but oh well.

Old 06-20-2018   #11

Rep Power: 60 vietjdmboi will become famous soon enoughvietjdmboi will become famous soon enoughvietjdmboi will become famous soon enoughvietjdmboi will become famous soon enoughvietjdmboi will become famous soon enoughvietjdmboi will become famous soon enough

Love the new vehicle! i just picked up a set of GS690 from John at JT audio and acc. Cant want to install them.

'04 E55 AMG - Audison, Focal, Illusion Audio, Arc Audio *SOLD*

'18 Taco TRD Off-Road - Helix, Audiofrog, Illusion Audio
vietjdmboi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2018   #12

Rep Power: 78 mechatron will become famous soon enoughmechatron will become famous soon enoughmechatron will become famous soon enoughmechatron will become famous soon enoughmechatron will become famous soon enoughmechatron will become famous soon enough

Default New Build - 2018 Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRam View Post
Mine is 2wd, so it will stay on road. Are you going to lift yours and do new wheels and tires??

I am thinking, maybe I should try the AF 6x9s... The stock one has some shockingly decent bass, I was swearing that this thing has a subwoofer somewhere, but it doesn't.

I have never used a 6x9, are there any down sides over a 6.5??

Nice car mate
I just bought an Ex-demo 2017 Grand Cherokee 4x4 turbo diesel and I thought exactly the same thing...went searching for a factory sub in the boot LOL
mechatron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2018   #13
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 50 Dan750iL will become famous soon enoughDan750iL will become famous soon enoughDan750iL will become famous soon enoughDan750iL will become famous soon enoughDan750iL will become famous soon enoughDan750iL will become famous soon enough

Quote:
...I have never used a 6x9, are there any down sides over a 6.5??
Gives up a lot of cone area.
Dan750iL is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan750iL For This Useful Post:
DavidRam (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018   #14

Enthusiast

Quote:
No lift for ours, it has the Quadra-Lift air suspension to raise up for certain terrain, but heck yeah, these babies can tuck 32" tires no problem. Will be keeping the stock wheels, just changing tires.

But man, these WK2 can go sporty so easily. Especially yours, love the Altitude trim option, with the blacked out trim and tail lights, and the colored mesh grille pieces!

Hoping more will chime in on the 6x9 - HillBilly SQ has those AF GS690 and loves them. He is using them with just tweeters, no midrange, and from what I understand, it really jams. Think he has an AudioFrog subwoofer too. Awesome combo. I'm torn between keeping it 2 way in the front doors, or adding a midrange to the pillars. The DSR1 processor only has eight channels of output, and two are just for the subwoofer(s) So can either have 2 way plus rear fill, or 3 way. Kinda wish it had 12 channels, to retain the center channel and D pillar speakers, but oh well.
That Quadra-Lift air suspension is really nice... You basically have a built in lift/lowering on-demand.

The Altitude trim was mandatory for me, I didn't care about anything else but that...

The GS690s are almost 3" deep, but if HillbillySQ has them install there must not be any clearance issues. I'm thinking 2 way should be sufficient and once it's done decide if I want to add rear fill or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vietjdmboi View Post
Love the new vehicle! i just picked up a set of GS690 from John at JT audio and acc. Cant want to install them.
Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechatron View Post
Nice car mate
I just bought an Ex-demo 2017 Grand Cherokee 4x4 turbo diesel and I thought exactly the same thing...went searching for a factory sub in the boot LOL
Lol! The bass is surprisingly good, right?!

mechatron (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 113 kanadian-kaos will become famous soon enoughkanadian-kaos will become famous soon enoughkanadian-kaos will become famous soon enoughkanadian-kaos will become famous soon enoughkanadian-kaos will become famous soon enoughkanadian-kaos will become famous soon enough

I thought my wife's had a subwoofer somewhere too. Looked everywhere. I then realized it is just the four 6x9 stock speakers which I believe are made by Alpine. The stock subwoofer location on the rear passenger side is good for a sealed 10.

It actually has a nice soundstage stock with the tweeters in the sails.

2016 Ford F150 Supercrew Sport: Soundstream Ref 5.1000 (Front High +sub) - Soundstream RN4.1400D(Rear and MB) - DSP 408 - Audio Control DQXS - JL 12TW3 - Image dynamics XS28 + X69, Scanspeak 10f, CTX65 (rear).
kanadian-kaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2018   #16

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanadian-kaos View Post
I thought my wife's had a subwoofer somewhere too. Looked everywhere. I then realized it is just the four 6x9 stock speakers which I believe are made by Alpine. The stock subwoofer location on the rear passenger side is good for a sealed 10.

It actually has a nice soundstage stock with the tweeters in the sails.
Yep, not bad for a base factory system... One of the better ones I've heard. Regardless, it's all getting yanked out! Lol

mechatron (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018   #17

Enthusiast

I have 2 Zapco amps and a cheap little Kicker for rear fill:

ST-4XP = 4x85 watts
ST-1000XM = 1x1,000 watts

I am thinking about either getting the new 6 channel Zapco OR just adding the 2 channel ST-2X SQ, encase I add rear fill or decide to do a 3way... The 6 channel will give me 15 more watts per channel, and I did feel like I could have used a little more power in my previous car with this equipment...

Old 06-20-2018   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

That six channel is the teets!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to chithead For This Useful Post:
DavidRam (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 111 raresvintea will become famous soon enoughraresvintea will become famous soon enoughraresvintea will become famous soon enoughraresvintea will become famous soon enoughraresvintea will become famous soon enoughraresvintea will become famous soon enough

It is so a improvement the sued from the seats? It keeps the bottom colder?

Pionner DEH-80 PRS, DD S4, DD M1a, DD aw6.5, SEAS Prestige 27TFFNC/G, 0 AWg, upgrade alt 180A, Powercell PC 3000.
raresvintea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2018   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 113 kanadian-kaos will become famous soon enoughkanadian-kaos will become famous soon enoughkanadian-kaos will become famous soon enoughkanadian-kaos will become famous soon enoughkanadian-kaos will become famous soon enoughkanadian-kaos will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I have 2 Zapco amps and a cheap little Kicker for rear fill:

ST-4XP = 4x85 watts
ST-1000XM = 1x1,000 watts

I am thinking about either getting the new 6 channel Zapco OR just adding the 2 channel ST-2X SQ, encase I add rear fill or decide to do a 3way... The 6 channel will give me 15 more watts per channel, and I did feel like I could have used a little more power in my previous car with this equipment...
15 watts is an unnoticeable gain in DB. Just get a matching 2 channel for the rear.

2016 Ford F150 Supercrew Sport: Soundstream Ref 5.1000 (Front High +sub) - Soundstream RN4.1400D(Rear and MB) - DSP 408 - Audio Control DQXS - JL 12TW3 - Image dynamics XS28 + X69, Scanspeak 10f, CTX65 (rear).
kanadian-kaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to kanadian-kaos For This Useful Post:
3MPS23 (09-11-2018)
Old 06-20-2018   #21

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by raresvintea View Post
It is so a improvement the sued from the seats? It keeps the bottom colder?
Well, they are comfortable... I live in a very mild climate, so I might not have a qualified opinion of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanadian-kaos View Post
15 watts is an unnoticeable gain in DB. Just get a matching 2 channel for the rear.
Not even 6 x 15watts?

Regardless your advise is probably quite sensible... (maybe I am just looking for excuses to get that big, new beast, Lol)

Old 06-20-2018   #22

Enthusiast

Better pics... sorta

I'm going with 1" spacers for the front wheels and 1.25" for the back.

chithead (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018   #23
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 118 mumbles will become famous soon enoughmumbles will become famous soon enoughmumbles will become famous soon enoughmumbles will become famous soon enoughmumbles will become famous soon enoughmumbles will become famous soon enough

Quote:

The GS690s are almost 3" deep, but if HillbillySQ has them install there must not be any clearance issues. I'm thinking 2 way should be sufficient and once it's done decide if I want to add rear fill or not.
Just wanted to say that I've heard Hibillys system, and the 690's are the real deal! Very smooth but with authority... dooo eeet!
mumbles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to mumbles For This Useful Post:
DavidRam (06-21-2018)
Old 06-20-2018   #24
ndm
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 158 ndm will become famous soon enoughndm will become famous soon enoughndm will become famous soon enoughndm will become famous soon enoughndm will become famous soon enoughndm will become famous soon enough

Fyi...those doors quite easily can be converted to fit jl zr800's. See my build for details on my 2013 srt

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8...gone...Got a G8GT...Waited 6 years...traded for a 2013 SRT Jeep!!...Jeep SRT
https://driiive.com/SRTJEEP/SRTJEEP/# ---http://www.cardomain.com/id/SRTJEEP
ndm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ndm For This Useful Post:
chithead (06-20-2018), manish (12-02-2018), unix_usr (09-18-2018)
Old 06-20-2018   #25

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbles View Post
Just wanted to say that I've heard Hibillys system, and the 690's are the real deal! Very smooth but with authority... dooo eeet!
Haha! Ok, thanks for the tip!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndm View Post
Fyi...those doors quite easily can be converted to fit jl zr800's. See my build for details on my 2013 srt
Wowzer! 8" midbass... I'll check it out, thanks!

Hey, have you guys notice that on the under side of the GC's spare tire area (between the rear bumper and the rear wheels) there's another huge open space, looks like it could maybe even fit the spare tire...
My point would be, remove the spare from the inside for room for audio and then come up with an exterior/under mount solution for the spare..?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement