2014 Grand Cherokee Overland Install - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2018   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 181 chithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of light

Default 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland Install

Sooo... was holding off on posting anything, but seeing DavidRam post up his 2018 WK2 - man the inspiration is flowing! Feeling some love for the Grand Cherokees now, and couldn't resist.

Ours has the 10 speaker Alpine setup. UConnect 8.4 - to a 10 channel amplifier, that feeds a single 3" center channel, 1" tweeters in the sail panels, 6x9" woofers in the front doors, 6.5" speakers in the rear doors, 2.5" speakers way back in the D pillars, and a single 8" sub in the cargo area on the passenger side.

Thought about reusing the FiX82 and TwK D8 from our 2016 Challenger, but with only eight inputs, couldn't figure out how to get all 10 signals summed into one. Factory amp bypass seemed like the best option. I see PAC has the AmpPro out, and really neat to get the optical add on, but... I've not had luck with PAC products at all in the past. Seems like the people I know that have purchased the AmpPro have had no issues, which is awesome. But the past bad stuff still leaves a pretty bitter opinion from me of their company, so I went another route. Picked up a Rockford Fosgate DSR1 along with the plug and play harness for the WK2. Amp bypass, eight channels of output with DSP built in. And, that's about as far as I made it.

chithead is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2018   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 181 chithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland Install

Speaker locations:

Old 06-21-2018   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

So, originally, my thoughts were, could carry everything over from the Challenger.

NVX X-series XSPTW Tweeters (front doors)
NVX X-series XSP65 6.5" Woofers (front doors)
NVX X-series XSP525 5.25" Woofers (rear fill?)
NVX X-series XQW124 12" Subwoofers (on each side of the cargo area)
Pair of JL Audio HD900/5 Amplifiers

Thought about bridging for the 6.5" Woofers in the front doors, but then the idea struck, why not double rear fill? No, not THAT kind. The 5.25" in the rear doors, and maybe the matching SB Acoustics that these NVX X-series speakers are based on? They have a 4" version, could be perfect?

Well... the sub idea was a bust. Bradknobs had already warned me about there not being much space on the driver's side due to the fuel filler and factory amplifier being there.

Snuck a peek without pulling the panel, and he's right. There is hardly any room there.

So where else do we put the subs and amps? Here I guess:

Losing the spare tire is not something I'm a fan of, but... we plan on upgrading the tire size on this Jeep since they can tuck 32" tires no problem. Being AWD, would need a taller spare, that won't fit in the tire well anyways. So why not.

Old 06-21-2018   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Alright, let's rip some stuff apart!!!

Say, that's one cute little speaker:

And let's get this booger out of there:

Wait a minute. Cute, little... speaker... uhhhh... will the SB Acoustics 4" even fit?

That would be a great big, NO. Check it out compared to the 5.25" NVX:

The Following User Says Thank You to chithead For This Useful Post:
Notloudenuf (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Well, what about this?

Or this?

Maybe like this?

Messing around with tweeter/midrange distances - those baffles on the tweeters were from the Challenger, just never bothered to take them off yet:

Well, if going through all that trouble, why not the 5.25" instead?

On second thought, that might be a bit much:

Old 06-21-2018   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Anywho, that's as far as we've made it. Still bouncing around tons of ideas. Was pretty sold two days ago on just going with the NVX speakers and subs, and keep it basic 2 way, rear fill, and the subs. But then DavidRam posts his thread, and all the other Grand Cherokee owners posting their setups, gets the daydream gears grinding again.

MoparMike has been helping out tremendously with actually getting motivated, so ordered up all the wiring needed to at least get the processor and amps installed, then can do some listening tests from there.

Anyone happen to know what color the trim pieces are? It's kinda between bronze and like a vintage brass. Thinking about painting the amps to match it:

Old 06-21-2018   #7

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 87 DavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enough

Sub'd for this! Great looking GC, man! Thanks for all the great info too...

2018 Jeep GC - AF GB10s, GB25s, GS690s, Zapco & Mosconi amps, (2) AF GB12s, Helix Pro MK2 & Director, Fiio X5
"Just slap some drywall screws in it, and you'll be fine"
DavidRam is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2018   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Hey, teamwork makes the dreamwork!!!

Hoping no one thinks I might be bashing that PAC piece, because definitely am not. At least five people I personally know using it have had zero issues. And heck, if it would be a better choice to take this install to the level it needs to be, would definitely consider it.

It's great that there are now options to retain the factory head units, but still get great sound.

Old 06-21-2018   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 153 quickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the rough

Very nice, cant wait for more

2013 VW CC and as I said down low!

When You Think Your Done! Reality is..... is just the beginning
quickaudi07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2018   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 160 Coppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of light

Dan Iím feeling that no matter which set up you go with, the craftsmanship will be top notch. I say lose the spare and do a roof mount carrier for it. Fortunately for me with my Ram, the spare is under it so I have the full interior space to mess with. I also sent you an email about wheels for my Ram.

(2.5GT) Limited Legacy / Pioneer 4800BS /Audison APK-165
Turbocharged / 6 speed / awd/ goodness ( For SALE )

(2018) Accord 2.0T Touring (10speed) turbocharged
Coppertone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2018   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Hopefully there will be lots more soon!

Here are some measurements from the driver's seat. Was just playing around with where to place the speakers and such:

The top measurements are if going with a 3 way setup, tweeters in the sail panels, midranges in the A-pillars, and woofers in the stock door locations.

The bottom measurements were a crazy theory, about tweeters in the sail panels, putting the midranges in the stock door locations, and then maybe putting the midbass in the kicks, under the seats, or the rear doors.

Kicks would be awkward I think, on the driver's side at least. Mostly due to the E-brake position. There is plenty of room on the passenger side to try a single 8" subwoofer in a sealed enclosure though, right under the dash. Maybe crossed up to 125Hz? Just a theory. I did an install similar to that years ago and enjoyed it.

Under the seats are out of the question for us, because of all the Overland electronics. The battery is under the passenger seat, and under the driver seat is this big ole compartment, but I believe if you have the Quadra-Lift Suspension, the electronics for it are stuffed in there. Sucks, because there is definitely space for a 8" or 10" subwoofer there if you don't have all that.

Rear doors, I haven't ruled that out yet. Can't see why it wouldn't work, even with just a pair of 6.5" woofers covering a narrow bandwidth. Those 5.25" should easily play down to 125, so from there to 80 or 63Hz shouldn't be an issue for a healthy 6.5" - but then I see ndm post up about how to fit 8" midbass in his front doors, and wow. That is pretty awesome right there.

Here is a picture of the Quadra-Lift in it's highest setting. Wheelgap, anyone?

Old 06-21-2018   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertone View Post
Dan Iím feeling that no matter which set up you go with, the craftsmanship will be top notch. I say lose the spare and do a roof mount carrier for it. Fortunately for me with my Ram, the spare is under it so I have the full interior space to mess with. I also sent you an email about wheels for my Ram.
Oooooh that is hawt right there. Love how they trimmed around the speakers on the door too. Wish our GC had that

Old 06-21-2018   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 160 Coppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of light

You can have that also as I believe thereís a company that makes bendable plastic. Iíll see if I can find the link.

(2.5GT) Limited Legacy / Pioneer 4800BS /Audison APK-165
Turbocharged / 6 speed / awd/ goodness ( For SALE )

(2018) Accord 2.0T Touring (10speed) turbocharged
Coppertone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2018   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 130 bradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enough

Yay, bout time. Iím in!
bradknob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2018   #15

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 87 DavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
So, originally, my thoughts were, could carry everything over from the Challenger.

I'm with you on trying to carry over as much as possible... Does that plastic liner come out easily?? Do you know how much width is gained by removing it??

2018 Jeep GC - AF GB10s, GB25s, GS690s, Zapco & Mosconi amps, (2) AF GB12s, Helix Pro MK2 & Director, Fiio X5
Old 06-21-2018   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Hmmm... I didn't even try to be honest. Have seen some with it removed, because in front of it, behind the rear seats, there is a bit of space there. Saw where another install had some JL HD amps hidden there, well protected. And of course I said Woohoo!!! Until you find out that's where the air tank is for the Quadra-Lift suspension!!!

This is one of the blogs where I get a lot of useful information from:

https://www.2180miles.com

Some pics of what he did with that spot for a dual battery setup:

Old 06-21-2018   #17

Enthusiast

Quote:
Hmmm... I didn't even try to be honest. Have seen some with it removed, because in front of it, behind the rear seats, there is a bit of space there. Saw where another install had some JL HD amps hidden there, well protected. And of course I said Woohoo!!! Until you find out that's where the air tank is for the Quadra-Lift suspension!!!

This is one of the blogs where I get a lot of useful information from:

https://www.2180miles.com

Some pics of what he did with that spot for a dual battery setup:

Very helpful, thanks!! It looks like there is little to be gained by removing it...

Old 06-21-2018   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRam View Post
Very helpful, thanks!! It looks like there is little to be gained by removing it...
I'm thinking your enclosure may actually fit towards the back there, closer to the hatch opening.
Old 06-21-2018   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 130 bradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enough

I got 5.5cuft enclosure by removing mine. Plenty of space to be had.
bradknob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to bradknob For This Useful Post:
DavidRam (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018   #20

Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm thinking your enclosure may actually fit towards the back there, closer to the hatch opening.
I'll check it thanks... Sorry, I didn't want to make your thread about my issues.

Old 06-21-2018   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Never an issue my friend! Just happy to have the conversation. Just part of being a car audio junkie!!!

See what I did there ^^^ My fellow Car. Audio. Junkies.

Old 06-21-2018   #22

Enthusiast

Quote:
Never an issue my friend! Just happy to have the conversation. Just part of being a car audio junkie!!!

See what I did there ^^^ My fellow Car. Audio. Junkies.
For sure! Lol

What will you be doing with your tweeters??

Old 06-21-2018   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 300 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like things are off to a great start Danno. Now lock down a plan and make it happen!

And fully realizing I'm hijacking this thread I also know it has the attention of Grand Cherokee owners and other Mopar junkies. If anyone knows where I can get that big plastic tire well insert and the window sail trim with factory tweeters without getting ripped off I would be eternally grateful. Seems near impossible to find through salvage yards and Dad told me to start collecting replacement pieces to replace what I had to cut NOW. Going back to a truck in a little over two years when the bumper to bumper warranty runs out. I actually tow with my vehicle and would feel a lot better with my hitch bolted to the frame vs repaired metal after the wreck twisted things up and not knowing the track record of the welder who did it.

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...IDQ12v4d4...Staying humble will keep you from looking like a giant douche.
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2018   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRam View Post
For sure! Lol

What will you be doing with your tweeters??
Good question. Debating on whether to make pods that might attach to the factory trim, or just fabricate that trim piece to accommodate those tweeters. Those NVX/SB have a big ole housing

Old 06-24-2018   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Booty shots for anyone curious about the NVX X-series subs:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement