2018 Subaru WRX - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2018   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 163 beerdrnkr will become famous soon enoughbeerdrnkr will become famous soon enoughbeerdrnkr will become famous soon enoughbeerdrnkr will become famous soon enoughbeerdrnkr will become famous soon enoughbeerdrnkr will become famous soon enough

Default 2018 Subaru WRX

Time for another build log. Traded in my truck a while back and decided to go with a WRX again. I previously had a 2015 WRX. I got a great deal on a used 2018 with only 300 miles on it. I've been working a lot on the interior, exterior, performance, and of course the audio.

So let's start with the exterior. I installed a grillecraft grille, cheap eBay front lip, tint, subispeed sequential taillights, some new emblems, debadged the rear factory emblems, and some new fog light bezels with DRLs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by beerdrnkr; 09-16-2018 at 01:47 PM..
beerdrnkr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to beerdrnkr For This Useful Post:
cadaver (10-01-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2018   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 163 beerdrnkr will become famous soon enoughbeerdrnkr will become famous soon enoughbeerdrnkr will become famous soon enoughbeerdrnkr will become famous soon enoughbeerdrnkr will become famous soon enoughbeerdrnkr will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2018 Subaru WRX

Next is the performance. I have the CVT version so there's definitely a limit on how much power I can add without having issues. I had a CVT Cooler installed, COBB turboback exhaust, COBB intake, Process West intercooler, COBB electronic boost solenoid control, and COBB accessport for tuning. I had the car tuned at Metro Performance of SoCal. Other items I have that are not yet installed are Process West charge pipe, EGR/TGV deletes.

Last edited by beerdrnkr; 09-16-2018 at 01:46 PM..
cadaver (10-01-2018)
Old 09-16-2018   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Next is the interior/audio. So the interiors on the WRXs look pretty cheap so I wanted to upgrade it quite a bit which includes removing as much faux carbon fiber and chrome as possible. I added a few bezels that were wrapped with leather and red stitching to also give it a better look. All interior lighting was upgraded, and I purchased a dash mat to help with reflections from the mids/tweets.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beerdrnkr For This Useful Post:
cadaver (10-01-2018), tyroneshoes (5 Days Ago)

Old 09-16-2018   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

The audio consists of the following:
Pioneer NEX-2440 headunit

MiniDSP 8x12 processor

Arc Audio KS2500.1

Arc Audio XDi 1200.6 (tweets, midrange, and rear mids).

Arc Audio XDi 450.4 (bridged to midbass).

Hybrid Audio Unity U3 mids in the dash.

Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5s in front doors.

Hybrid Audio Unity tweeters on a pillars.

Hybrid Audio Unity 6.5s in rear doors.
Sundown Audio SA-10 in ported box tuned to 32hz. IDMAX 12 is on standby!

A bunch of sound deadening was also applied since this car is a rattle machine.

cadaver (10-01-2018)
Old 09-16-2018   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

It was pretty difficult to find a place to mount the controller for the MiniDSP, after some luck I found the perfect spot and it fit perfectly. It slid right in along some plastic slits so tightly that I didn't even have to glue it or anything, however I through on some hot glue anyway. Also found a great spot for the remote bass knob.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beerdrnkr For This Useful Post:
cadaver (09-18-2018), tyroneshoes (5 Days Ago)
Old 09-20-2018   #6

Rep Power: 0 Hawjx001 will become famous soon enoughHawjx001 will become famous soon enoughHawjx001 will become famous soon enoughHawjx001 will become famous soon enoughHawjx001 will become famous soon enoughHawjx001 will become famous soon enough

You're back to the WRX!!! whoo! How does that 10 sound compared to the IB IDmax you had? i have a 12 in my 2015 WRX and i need some more room
Hawjx001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2018   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawjx001 View Post
You're back to the WRX!!! whoo! How does that 10 sound compared to the IB IDmax you had? i have a 12 in my 2015 WRX and i need some more room
Yeah, it's too fun of a car especially with the power mods.

The 10 sounds pretty good, definitely gets plenty loud and sounds pretty clean. Tackling the rattles is always a pain of course. I didn't remember my 2015 having as many rattles in the overhead console so that took a lot of work to quiet down. The rear deck is still a headache to quiet down.

I remember the single ID15 sounded better then when I added a second one.

I have the IDMAX12 but like you, I'm afraid of losing space in the trunk, the single 10" is a perfect fit and being a birch box is pretty light. I might have to get an IDMAX 10.

Old 09-21-2018   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 201 WilliamS has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamS has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamS has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamS has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamS has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamS has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamS has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamS has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamS has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamS has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamS has a reputation beyond repute

Curious on the CVT wrx? What kind of power did you end up with. Im in the market for a fun sedan and the wife is auto only so I was curious to if the fun is still there.
WilliamS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2018   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

The turbo lag is pretty bad on a stock WRX, an accessport and E-tune is all you need for a huge difference in power and more fun.

Obviously it won't be as fun as a manual but I don't have any complaints with the CVT.

I also added a small addition to the interior.

cadaver (10-01-2018)
Old 09-29-2018   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

I don't think anyone is following this build but I'll continue anyway. Lol

I had several wires running in the car that were pretty annoying to see so I wanted to clean that up a bit.

I added another dual USB input in the little cubby section under the AC controls with one being for the headunit USB (Android auto/flash drive) and the other being for the MiniDSP. So now i can just run a short USB to my laptop and tune the car without having to constantly have the wire in sight or running the wire to the front everytime.

I think it came out pretty good, I bought a spare piece that belonged to an sti, it looks to be the same but it doesn't sit perfectly flush, not a big deal but I might swap it out in the future with another piece and see if it fits a little better.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beerdrnkr For This Useful Post:
cadaver (10-01-2018), kmbkk (09-29-2018), xploderxlt (10-06-2018)
Old 10-13-2018   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

After hearing a few SQ competitors vehicles recently, I've noticed that something I'm missing is dynamics and punch. I've decided to try out a couple of things to make the install more stealth as well as possibly helping with dynamics and punch.

First thing was trying out another sub setup, 3 Dayton Audio HO 10's sealed. I added the same amount of polyfill to each chamber to help make the enclosure seem larger. Definitely an improvement over the single 10 ported, the subs sound super clean and I have all the volume I'll need.

Secondly, I picked up an Arc Audio XDi 600.4 to replace the 450.4 and bridged those to my Clarus 6.5 midbass in the doors. I haven't had any time to tune or anything but I should have plenty of power for those as well. Also picked up a roll of foam to possibly help with some resonances in the doors. I haven't installed that yet.

Lastly, I wanted to make things a little more stealth with the tweeters and I wanted to match them more on access with the Unity mids in the dash. Now the tweets and mids are on access and I'm hoping will anchor the center stage better as well as provide some good dynamics. The tweeters of choice are the Dayton Audio ND16FA. I needed something fairly small to fit in the dash with the mids. Once again I haven't tuned anything yet but I'm hoping it works well.

I also wanted to experiment with another tweeter mounting position using the Hybrid Unity tweeters in their housing and just mounted on top of the dash grille. This won't be stealthy but I'm interested to see how they sound in this configuration. I'll try the Dayton's out for a bit and then swap them out.

Old 10-13-2018   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

And the 2nd tweeter setup.

Old 10-13-2018   #13

Rep Power: 0 Hawjx001 will become famous soon enoughHawjx001 will become famous soon enoughHawjx001 will become famous soon enoughHawjx001 will become famous soon enoughHawjx001 will become famous soon enoughHawjx001 will become famous soon enough

Looking good man! did not expect the 3 HO's. I love how small of an enclosure those guys can go in. I'm waiting for Fi audio to come out with their ferrite Q sub and i'm thinking of going with one 10. How's the 3 HO's sound so far?
Hawjx001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2018   #14

Rep Power: 0 xploderxlt will become famous soon enoughxploderxlt will become famous soon enoughxploderxlt will become famous soon enoughxploderxlt will become famous soon enoughxploderxlt will become famous soon enoughxploderxlt will become famous soon enough

Have you tried facing the subs towards the rear of the vehicle and compare it to firing forward? You might be surprised and pleased with the results.
xploderxlt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2018   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Looking good man! did not expect the 3 HO's. I love how small of an enclosure those guys can go in. I'm waiting for Fi audio to come out with their ferrite Q sub and i'm thinking of going with one 10. How's the 3 HO's sound so far?
Quote:
Originally Posted by xploderxlt View Post
Have you tried facing the subs towards the rear of the vehicle and compare it to firing forward? You might be surprised and pleased with the results.
Quote:
Thanks. Yeah, I still wanted to keep the enclosure as small as possible and maintain good output. After I finished up I only listened to it for about 5 minutes and I didn't do any tuning but I'm really happy with the output and how clean it sounds. The sundown SA ported was nice but there's really no comparison in how much cleaner the HOs are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xploderxlt View Post
Yes, I've tried a few different locations. Firing subs towards the rear definitely gives me more output but it also causes more rattles. I've deadened everything as best I could but it's just too much output (single ported 10). I haven't tried it with these subs yet but maybe I'll give it a shot and see.

I'll try these out for the next 6 months or so and then I might try going IB with two IDMAX 12s.

Old 10-14-2018   #16

Rep Power: 0 zapps will become famous soon enoughzapps will become famous soon enoughzapps will become famous soon enoughzapps will become famous soon enoughzapps will become famous soon enoughzapps will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerdrnkr View Post
I'll try these out for the next 6 months or so and then I might try going IB with two IDMAX 12s.
Curious, where / how would you mount IB? I just got a 2019 and am looking for ideas.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
zapps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2018   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapps View Post
Curious, where / how would you mount IB? I just got a 2019 and am looking for ideas.

Here's how I did it in my 2015 WRX using two ID15s a few years back.

There's a black plastic piece right behind the rear seats on the floor under the carpet. I replaced that with a piece of wood to anchor the baffle on the bottom.
zapps (10-14-2018)
Old 10-14-2018   #18

Rep Power: 0 zapps will become famous soon enoughzapps will become famous soon enoughzapps will become famous soon enoughzapps will become famous soon enoughzapps will become famous soon enoughzapps will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Here's how I did it in my 2015 WRX using two ID15s a few years back.
Awesome! Did you modify the seat backs in any way?

zapps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2018   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapps View Post
Awesome! Did you modify the seat backs in any way?

No, if I remember correctly the only thing I modified was removing the bottom plastic piece and adding the wood block. Of course I did drill into the car along the rear deck with those L-brackets which you can see and I also drilled through the plastic/carpeted piece for the trunk on the bottom.

There was no place to anchor the baffle to the sides, luckily the baffle was such a tight fit that even before drilling and adding L-brackets it wasn't budging at all. I literally had to hammer the baffle into place. lol
zapps (10-14-2018)
Old 10-14-2018   #20

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 89 DavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enough

Great work, man!!

2018 Jeep GC - AF GB10s, GB25s, GS690s, Zapco & Mosconi amps, (2) AF GB12s, Helix Pro MK2 & Director, Fiio X5
"Just slap some drywall screws in it, and you'll be fine"
DavidRam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2018   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRam View Post
Great work, man!!
Thanks a lot. I've been following your build as well and it looks great. I wish I had the fabrication skills of half the guys on this site. lol
DavidRam (10-14-2018)
Old 10-14-2018   #22

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 89 DavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thanks a lot. I've been following your build as well and it looks great. I wish I had the fabrication skills of half the guys on this site. lol
Thanks, and I wish I did too...

Both your audio and other mods are tastefully done.
Hey, do you remember that upholstery company (can't think of their name), that made custom accessories for Subaru interiors??

EDIT: I just remembered their name - JPM Coachworks! Too bad they closed down their shop.

Man, those guys did some great work! Have you seen it? I had them do a couple things for me over the years, though not for a Subaru...

2018 Jeep GC - AF GB10s, GB25s, GS690s, Zapco & Mosconi amps, (2) AF GB12s, Helix Pro MK2 & Director, Fiio X5
"Just slap some drywall screws in it, and you'll be fine"

Last edited by DavidRam; 10-14-2018 at 11:51 AM..
DavidRam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2018   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRam View Post
Thanks, and I wish I did too...

Both your audio and other mods are tastefully done.
Hey, do you remember that upholstery company (can't think of their name), that made custom accessories for Subaru interiors??

EDIT: I just remembered their name - JPM Coachworks! Too bad they closed down their shop.

Man, those guys did some great work! Have you seen it? I had them do a couple things for me over the years, though not for a Subaru...
Thanks, I've been trying to just make it look a little more quality without going too flashy. Some of the interior pieces I've had done I've gotten from overland-designs.com, I believe they'll work on most vehicle trim pieces, not just subarus.

There's so many subaru accessory and parts shops, I'm still trying to learn which ones are best. lol
Old 10-14-2018   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 107 nyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enough

Sub'ed. 2018 WRX, as well. I've only investigated spaces and clearances. I'm going to attempt 8's in the doors. I also have an IDMax12 that I'm leaning toward running IB. Thanks for those pics of your previous 15's. Did you close off any other areas besides the seat?
nyquistrate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2018   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyquistrate View Post
Sub'ed. 2018 WRX, as well. I've only investigated spaces and clearances. I'm going to attempt 8's in the doors. I also have an IDMax12 that I'm leaning toward running IB. Thanks for those pics of your previous 15's. Did you close off any other areas besides the seat?
I'd love to have 8s in the doors! Let me know if you have any success with that. The doors will obviously need a lot of deadening, I'm still trying to chase some rattles myself with just 6.5s.

I didn't seal off any other parts of the trunk. It was a while ago but I remember actually liking the sound more with just a single 15 then when I added the second.

Make sure you post up a build log when you're ready, I'm always looking for ideas to steal. Lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement