2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel System Build - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2018   #1

Rep Power: 82 LOST_llama will become famous soon enoughLOST_llama will become famous soon enoughLOST_llama will become famous soon enoughLOST_llama will become famous soon enoughLOST_llama will become famous soon enoughLOST_llama will become famous soon enough

Default 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel System Build

With the recent influx of Grand Cherokee builds popping up, I have been inspired to post my system I built in my 2014 Limited Diesel.

The requirements of the system were to not take up any space as I have two kids and I must maintain the spare tire.

With that in mind, here is a before and after shot of the rear hatch area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5233.jpg (1.01 MB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1543.jpg (1.12 MB, 16 views)
LOST_llama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to LOST_llama For This Useful Post:
chithead (10-03-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2018   #2

Rep Power: 82 LOST_llama will become famous soon enoughLOST_llama will become famous soon enoughLOST_llama will become famous soon enoughLOST_llama will become famous soon enoughLOST_llama will become famous soon enoughLOST_llama will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel System Build

The system currently consists of the following gear:
  • Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX
  • JL Audio TWK
  • Two JL Audio XD400/4
  • JL Audio XD500/3
  • JL Audio 10TW3
  • JL Audio XR650
  • Illusion Audio C3CX
  • JL Audio VR525-CX (for rearfill)

Starting in the hatch, I took my first attempt at a stack fab-style enclosure for the JL 10TW3 in the passenger side rear quarter panel area. After building the enclosure, I constructed a stealth grill to hide everything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6978.jpg (1.00 MB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7275.jpg (1.28 MB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5779.jpg (1.23 MB, 13 views)
chithead (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018   #3

Keeping in the rear hatch area, I needed somewhere to mount the three JL XD amps and the passive crossovers for the Illusion Audio C3CX's that would not take up any usable space. This was the best I could come up with for now. In the future I may make some changes, but it gets the job done.

The two 400/4's are running in two channels bridged mode providing 200 watts to each speaker up front. The 500/3 runs the sub and the rear fill speakers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1540.jpg (1.70 MB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1541.jpg (1.06 MB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1542.jpg (1,017.2 KB, 14 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LOST_llama For This Useful Post:
chithead (10-03-2018), ekaz (10-04-2018)

Old 10-03-2018   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 131 bradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enoughbradknob will become famous soon enough

There he is!

Can never have too many WK2 builds
bradknob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2018   #5

Moving to the front of the WK2, I currently have a set of JL Audio XR650's in the doors for mid bass purposes. Since this photo, I have added "Fast Rings" and increased the amount of deadening, but I cannot seem to beat the rattles, which will lead me to one of my upcoming projects.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5351.jpg (1.30 MB, 13 views)
chithead (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018   #6

The Illusion C3CX's have been added to the pillars. The grill/polished trim were used to mimic some of the factory trim in the car. Let me know if you think I hit the mark. Shout out to Russ at Octave Audio for helping me finish these up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1525.jpg (1.54 MB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1526.jpg (1.17 MB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1528.jpg (1.19 MB, 13 views)

Last edited by LOST_llama; 10-03-2018 at 07:17 PM..
cadaver (10-04-2018), chithead (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 Angus Young will become famous soon enoughAngus Young will become famous soon enoughAngus Young will become famous soon enoughAngus Young will become famous soon enoughAngus Young will become famous soon enoughAngus Young will become famous soon enough

Looking Good!
Angus Young is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2018   #8

When I first installed the system, I was using the factory uConnect system running into a Rockford 360.3. It did just fine, but the uConnect had a software bug or something so I tried to install an iPad mini in the dash...

I loved having Apple Maps, the overall iPad UI and direct streaming into the 360.3.

But I just did not like having to pull the iPad out to use the back up camera. Plus Pioneer finally released a wireless CarPlay compatible unit so...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1333.jpg (888.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1334.jpg (1.02 MB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1336.jpg (966.1 KB, 12 views)
Old 10-03-2018   #9

Out with the iPad and in with a Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX. This unit is great. The wireless CarPlay is fast, sounds great and is a very driver friendly UI.

The unit integrates with all of the factory "stuff" (AC, heated/vented seats, HSW, buttons, knobs, etc) via the Maestro unit. It was pretty simple to wire up, but no one makes a mount and I didn't want to have to build anything from scratch. I ordered the Metra kit for the Durango and made a few tweaks, turned out pretty good (last pic).

The only thing I have not integrated is the factory microphones. I know which wires they are behind deck, but I need to connect a minijack to the cables so that they plug into the Pioneer. Has anyone tried to do this on their own WK2's or other vehicles?

At this same time, I replaced the Rockford 360.3 with a JL TWK. The main reason for this was that JL finally released the TuN software for macOS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1651.jpg (1.11 MB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1741.jpg (889.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1806.jpg (1.22 MB, 11 views)
cadaver (10-04-2018), chithead (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018   #10

That is the system as it currently stands. Overall I really like how it sounds and the convenience of the CarPlay, but the rattles in the front doors due to the mid bass annoy me to no end. I have been inspired by @bradknob to put 8's in my kick panels.

The plan is to use Illusion Audio C8's. I have started toying around with some options/ideas, but am currently awaiting the arrival of the C8's before getting too deep into this next step.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1716.jpg (1.39 MB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1807.jpg (1.04 MB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1867.jpg (909.1 KB, 11 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LOST_llama For This Useful Post:
cadaver (10-04-2018), chithead (10-03-2018), ekaz (10-04-2018)
Old 10-03-2018   #11

I appreciate any feedback or suggestions that anyone has on how I could get those 8's into the kicks, integrating the factory mic's or anything else that you think would improve the system! Thanks to everyone that posts on here for the inspiration!
Old 10-03-2018   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 183 chithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of light

This is awesome! Great to see another WK2 owner. Very nice work on the enclosure! Can't wait to see those kicks done.

chithead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2018   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 186 brett will become famous soon enoughbrett will become famous soon enoughbrett will become famous soon enoughbrett will become famous soon enoughbrett will become famous soon enoughbrett will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to brett

thanks so much for sharing!

changes coming....
brett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement