2013 Camry XLE - On a Budget - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2019   #1

Rep Power: 0 Turb0Yoda will become famous soon enoughTurb0Yoda will become famous soon enoughTurb0Yoda will become famous soon enoughTurb0Yoda will become famous soon enoughTurb0Yoda will become famous soon enoughTurb0Yoda will become famous soon enough

Default 2013 Camry XLE - On a Budget

Hey all.
I finally made an account after lurking for a bit, and I'm about to start the build on my camry. I saved up ~650 total, and only spent 480 on the core bits and pieced with the recent ebay 15%. I also didn't want to replace the HU since the iDL stuff is stupidly expensive for my broke self.

Equipment:
-AudioControl LC7i
-Infinity REF-6530CX(fronts)
-Infinity REF-9632ix(rears)
-KnuKonceptz Kolossus Fleks 4 channel
-Another 50 feet of speaker wire(12 gauge)
-Precision Power iON i520.4 Amp
-Related speaker harnesses for the HU
-Related speaker adapters

Hopefully I'll have photos of the planning bits today. I do want a sub and sound deadening. Originally was going to get stuff from Sound Deadener Showdown but with only ~150 left for now, I've held off, and I sent an email over ~New Years asking for some guidance.
Turb0Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2019   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 66 Truthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2013 Camry XLE - On a Budget

Cool... another Camry build. Subscribed

For the acoustic treatments: The best bang for the buck (IMHO) would be to treat the front doors with some CLD/butyl rope, and seal up the large openings in the inner door skins with some sheetmetal or plastic panels.

"Many ideas grow better when transplanted into another mind than the one where they sprang up." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

2015 Camry Build Log
Truthunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2019   #3

Rep Power: 0 Turb0Yoda will become famous soon enoughTurb0Yoda will become famous soon enoughTurb0Yoda will become famous soon enoughTurb0Yoda will become famous soon enoughTurb0Yoda will become famous soon enoughTurb0Yoda will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthunter View Post
Cool... another Camry build. Subscribed

For the acoustic treatments: The best bang for the buck (IMHO) would be to treat the front doors with some CLD/butyl rope, and seal up the large openings in the inner door skins with some sheetmetal or plastic panels.
Yeah. I'm probably going to do this sometime *after* I manage to not bodge up the actual speaker install.

I just pulled out most of the center console, and I realize that I have a *lot* less space than I thought to mount the lc7i/crossovers due to the A/C vent, so I'm back to the drawing board. I think I'll be able to mount the crossovers in up behind the glovebox/steering wheel fine, it's the LC7i that I might move under one of the front seats. Planning on slapping the amp under the passenger.

Maybe 16 feet of RCA was a bad idea.

Old 01-09-2019   #4

OK, time for an update.
I managed to do a few things today:
-Make a harness to connect the HU to the LC7i. This involved two 24 foot reels of 16 awg wire, one for positive, one for negative. I could have used the 12 gauge from Knu, but I only have 50 feet of normal wire and 25 of karma speaker wire. I underestimated the amount of wire I needed. I actually got two rolls of each, used two up, and now have two basically new ones sitting around. I did have to make a ground for the antenna, and that took ~3 feet.

The metra adapters were fine. The Scosche stuff I ordered was crap. It fits loosely for the main power/front side on the head unit, and the rear speaker connector got stuck in the headunit.

I've put the lc7i under the drivers seat.

I also ran the amp power wire. I used the passenger grommet, since I'm putting this amp under the passenger seat. I couldn't get my hands in the right position for the drivers side grommet so I basically said screw it and used the passenger one.

As of right now nothing is permanently installed, ie bolted down. Still working out the finer points.

I have a few photos but my post count isn't high enough
Old 01-11-2019   #5

Hit that 5 post count. Here's the photos for the last post.

Current 4AWG Cable Run

The "harness" to the LC7i

Planned amp location
The Following User Says Thank You to Turb0Yoda For This Useful Post:
cadaver (01-12-2019)
Old 01-11-2019   #6

Rep Power: 17 Chris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enough

Nice start!

Do you have plans for mounting the amp? Iím interested to see how you go about it.

Something easy that Iíd recommend you try out - get your front speakers set up first and try them out without your rears hooked up. I fought with myself about keeping my rear deck speakers for a long time, but one I disconnected them my system sounded much better.

DDX9905s HU| MiniDSP| JL XD Amps | GS10/GS40/GS690| AE SBP15
JL ZR800ís on the way!
Chris12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2019   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris12 View Post
Nice start!

Do you have plans for mounting the amp? Iím interested to see how you go about it.

Something easy that Iíd recommend you try out - get your front speakers set up first and try them out without your rears hooked up. I fought with myself about keeping my rear deck speakers for a long time, but one I disconnected them my system sounded much better.
Hey.
For now I've literally just used some industrial strength velcro I had laying around. BUT I do plan on making a rack out of wood or plastic/metal. I know some people have velcro'd amps down, and I feel it's a good solution for now, if not versus bolting it straight to the car. I'm not bolting it yet because I have yet to check if I will hit anything under the car, and I still have the warranty on this car since it was a CPO, and I'm avoiding doing anything permanent, ie leaving stock wiring intact and simply running my stuff alongside it.

As far as the rears, I actually just installed them today. I forgot to take a picture of them in the deck, but I did make a "comparison" photo between the old and new rears.

I just realized the poor quality of the photo.
Old 01-12-2019   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 66 Truthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turb0Yoda View Post

Interesting - the headunit has "Harmon" on it. Does your vehicle have the JBL system?

"Many ideas grow better when transplanted into another mind than the one where they sprang up." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

2015 Camry Build Log
Old 01-12-2019   #9

No. It Does not.

The Harman also surprised me, as I thought, on the non-JBL cars, it was a panasonic or other unit.

That said, this car has about every addon minus the JBL and the factory spoiler, although that might not have any affect on it.
Old 01-17-2019   #10

Sorry for going dark on this one.
Between being sick and my phone dieing, I have no way to take photos.
I'll try to upload pictures when I get a new phone sometime next week. I'm not done yet, since the lc7i's GTO wasn't working and I need to wire a remote out from the Head unit now.
Old 03-03-2019   #11

So...
quick update. I ended up returning the LC7i thinking my remote was faulty, and bought a used 360.2 for.. 80 bucks.. Turns out I was hooking into the wrong fuse.

My current setup is a complete mess, and I've been working on cleaning it up. Between school, work, and me being sick as hell most of the time, I've gotten little done.

Currently fabbing up tweeter mounts with a friend's 3D printer; right now I just ziptied the tweeters in the stock spot.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to ground the amp somewhere other than the seat bolt, since it's a crappy ground.

This is the woofer mounted up. When I eventually get around to doing sound deadening, I will be using silicone to help with any unevenness... I might have forgotten to do that on one side.

I know someone commented that my unit was Harman. I have no idea why, but here's some info I pulled from the diagnostics menu.
The Following User Says Thank You to Turb0Yoda For This Useful Post:
cadaver (03-04-2019)
Old 03-05-2019   #12

I now understand the difference between left and right on setting gains and have fixed the static issue...
Old 03-07-2019   #13

Rep Power: 50 No ConeSS will become famous soon enoughNo ConeSS will become famous soon enoughNo ConeSS will become famous soon enoughNo ConeSS will become famous soon enoughNo ConeSS will become famous soon enoughNo ConeSS will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Current 4AWG Cable Run
Do you happen to have any pics of where you ran the power wire through the firewall (or however you got the power from the batter to inside)?

Bob P.
No ConeSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2019   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by No ConeSS View Post
Do you happen to have any pics of where you ran the power wire through the firewall (or however you got the power from the batter to inside)?
I think most of use 7th gen camry owners use the grommet on the passenger side firewall:

2015 Camry Build Log
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Truthunter For This Useful Post:
cadaver (03-07-2019), Chris12 (03-07-2019), No ConeSS (03-07-2019), Turb0Yoda (03-08-2019)
Old 03-08-2019   #15

Hey, sorry for the late reply.
I did indeed use that grommet that truthhunter mentioned, although not as eloquently as in that photo...

Currently need to work on mounting the front left crossover in a better place and amp "racks" for the DSP and amp... Although given the amount of workload from uni it might take a bit for an update.
Old 05-26-2019   #16

"A bit of time" Indeed.
I've basically finished off the build, but I haven't done much in the way of a log. I don't think I'll have much time this summer as I'm starting an internship in two days. That said, I did make a cost breakdown.

From where I left of...
-Got 3sixty.1 all hooked up to the PPI
-Got the rear deck speakers in
-Everything calibrated

What needs to be done:
-Finishing the sub install.

The duct tape is my crude attempt at humor, the amp itself is screwed in. Everything is ran but the ground.

Hopefully when I get around do doing the custom stuff such as the amp/dsp racks and the tweeter mounts I'll update, and make a "proper" guide with all the photos I took. Unfortunately, between classes and extra-curricular kicking my arse, and some maladies that have taken me, I have little strength of of now to do much physical work.

The last steps of this, should I ever get to it, is sound deadening and getting a better DSP eg Helix Mini... My on a budget lost it's meaning it seems.
Old 05-26-2019   #17

Rep Power: 91 ToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enough

Quote:
"A bit of time" Indeed.

I've basically finished off the build, but I haven't done much in the way of a log. I don't think I'll have much time this summer as I'm starting an internship in two days. That said, I did make a cost breakdown.

From where I left of...

-Got 3sixty.1 all hooked up to the PPI

-Got the rear deck speakers in

-Everything calibrated

What needs to be done:

-Finishing the sub install.

The duct tape is my crude attempt at humor, the amp itself is screwed in. Everything is ran but the ground.

Hopefully when I get around do doing the custom stuff such as the amp/dsp racks and the tweeter mounts I'll update, and make a "proper" guide with all the photos I took. Unfortunately, between classes and extra-curricular kicking my arse, and some maladies that have taken me, I have little strength of of now to do much physical work.

The last steps of this, should I ever get to it, is sound deadening and getting a better DSP eg Helix Mini... My on a budget lost it's meaning it seems.
Dont ever use the word budget in this. I had a set budget of about 2500 bucks. And now im going on about 7k. Budget isnt even a word

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
ToNasty is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement