2012 Mercedes E63 SQ Build - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2019   #1

Rep Power: 11 jcesl2 will become famous soon enoughjcesl2 will become famous soon enoughjcesl2 will become famous soon enoughjcesl2 will become famous soon enoughjcesl2 will become famous soon enoughjcesl2 will become famous soon enough

Default 2012 Mercedes E63 SQ Build

My equipment showed up today so I decided to start the build log. Car is a 2012 Mercedes AMG E63. Equipment is all Audison and Hertz. Install by Driven Mobile Electronics (Chris and Mark).

Goes in the shop on Monday. So I should start having build pictures to post next week. Front stage is the new Violino and Sax speakers with a Thesis quattro powering them. Hertz ML 2500.3 subwoofer on a Hertz HP 802. I'm doing this in two stages, the next one will be 2 additional subs and sub amps, and going crazy in the trunk. Oh, and the Bit One HD for DSP. That's a forum favorite right?
jcesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2019   #2

Rep Power: 11 jcesl2 will become famous soon enoughjcesl2 will become famous soon enoughjcesl2 will become famous soon enoughjcesl2 will become famous soon enoughjcesl2 will become famous soon enoughjcesl2 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2012 Mercedes E63 SQ Build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Mercedes E63 / Audison bit DMI, bit One HD, TH quattro, TH 1.5 II violino, TH 6.5 II SAX / Hertz HP 802, ML 2500.3 / Build Log
The Following User Says Thank You to jcesl2 For This Useful Post:
unix_usr (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019   #3
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 0 steelr will become famous soon enoughsteelr will become famous soon enoughsteelr will become famous soon enoughsteelr will become famous soon enoughsteelr will become famous soon enoughsteelr will become famous soon enough

Sounds nice. Looking forward to seeing how it comes out.
steelr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 190 bertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the rough

Love those speakers - I have the tweets, but I havenít seen the new Sax yet. They should be very good in that car with that amp and DSP. Iím looking forward to seeing this log.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bertholomey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to bertholomey For This Useful Post:
jcesl2 (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertholomey View Post
Love those speakers - I have the tweets, but I havenít seen the new Sax yet. They should be very good in that car with that amp and DSP. Iím looking forward to seeing this log.

I should have taken a pic of the Sax. Looks amazing. And the whole cone is translucent. Guess I was too excited looking at everything. lol
Old 01-30-2019   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 122 eddieg will become famous soon enougheddieg will become famous soon enougheddieg will become famous soon enougheddieg will become famous soon enougheddieg will become famous soon enougheddieg will become famous soon enough

sub'd are you going FIR mode on the HD?

Subi Legacy 10: Morel+HAT CDM880&L1v1+HybridOvation 602 Sub Audison TH10 BASSO Audison VOCE AV5.1K FullDA Nexus7+SabreDAC with Audison Bit One running the show
eddieg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2019   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 190 bertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieg View Post
sub'd are you going FIR mode on the HD?

Hey Eddie!!!

OP - any chance of getting some pics of the overall car and some pics of proposed speaker locations or is the car safely parked at Driven?

Old 01-30-2019   #8

The plan is to use FIR.

I still have the car this week. But it got dirty in the snow yesterday. Here are some old pictures
some mclaren photobombed me lol

2012 Mercedes E63 / Audison bit DMI, bit One HD, TH quattro, TH 1.5 II violino, TH 6.5 II SAX / Hertz HP 802, ML 2500.3 / Build Log
Old 01-30-2019   #9

The plan was to use stock locations for the front stage. He was going to build new sail panels and flush mount the tweeters. I am not a fan of pillars.... but I might get talked into it. Lol

Old 02-15-2019   #10

Finally have enough pictures to make it worth posting an update.

The amp rack is built for the final stage. It will hold the 3 Hertz amps horizontally, and the Thesis amp will be on top of them vertically. For now, both amps are just mounted to the rack.

The DRC MP remote is mounted in front of the shifter. Car came with a laser jammer that the controls were mounted there previously. Those got relocated.

cadaver (02-15-2019)
Old 02-15-2019   #11

Doors...

Maybe Iím biased, but I canít stop looking at these Sax drivers. Sucks to hide them behind the door panels.

cadaver (02-15-2019)
Old 02-15-2019   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Wow! Wow! Wow!

Those Thesis Sax ii drivers are so incredibly sexy!!! I would love to hear this car when completed!

The Following User Says Thank You to bertholomey For This Useful Post:
jcesl2 (02-15-2019)
Old 02-15-2019   #13

Quote:
Wow! Wow! Wow!

Those Thesis Sax ii drivers are so incredibly sexy!!! I would love to hear this car when completed!

I know- I keep looking at the pictures every couple minutes. Lol

Youíll probably get to hear it at some point. Iíll be going to some meets and competitions that Iíve seen you post about. Iím hoping to hear it tomorrow.

hokiruu (05-07-2019)
Old 02-22-2019   #14

Default 2012 Mercedes E63 SQ Build

Couple more pics

I want to listen to it already!!

That tweeter pod isnít finished yet. Need to remove the window sticker too.

bbfoto (02-22-2019)
Old 02-23-2019   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 122 eddieg will become famous soon enougheddieg will become famous soon enougheddieg will become famous soon enougheddieg will become famous soon enougheddieg will become famous soon enougheddieg will become famous soon enough

Hey Jason, JC

For the best of my recall FIR mode is limited to 9 channels only but that is still plenty.

I fully agree about the feeling that the beauty of the midbass drivers should not be hidden but the fact that it is a good looking merc pays up for it with its original design. I would let those babies out though also from sound aspects and not just beauty.

This just informative - I've seen lately a very interesting brand named Taramps - they manufacture a line of full range mono amplifiers with ridiculous amounts of power - they have been tested and they are up to their ratings - check them out, but not for this project obviously.

Subi Legacy 10: Morel+HAT CDM880&L1v1+HybridOvation 602 Sub Audison TH10 BASSO Audison VOCE AV5.1K FullDA Nexus7+SabreDAC with Audison Bit One running the show
Old 02-24-2019   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 172 JayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enough

EddieG, they're out of Brazil, aren't they? I see them mainly in big SPL builds. Haven't seen any used it SQ builds yet

JayinMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2019   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Hey Jay,

Yeah they are sourced from Brazil but you can get them online with global shipping - Marketing I guess. They have loads of power and if they are SPL aimed they should have a very good level of control at the low frequencies (damping) - sounds like an easy way to run a full three way passive on a small powerhouse, save a lot of space, weight and money.

I was looking at this build and it reminded me the C230 of Garry Summer's crazy setup from some reason.

I think he was using some JL mono blocks that have a very wide range for his woofers and subs but what Taramps are doing is full range and they tend to emphasize it.

From the other side we have in this thread a BitOne HD and a Thesis amp which supports FullDA which is awesome technology - am using it years over years my self.

I can't help thinking about conversations with "golden ear" people that claimed that you can not compare fullda to a good analog system -> not taking in mind that their HU is a... digital CD player

That also always kept a thought in my mind that I should have brought a dog whistle with me to the talk just to see if they go crazy from pain or simply start lick... well umm ok.

Not to mention that fact that you can play at 192/24 rate you also gain with FullDA "digital quiet" since it does not let any kind of noise go through it - for example if you are sourcing from BT - no matter if it is via your head unit or from a BT to Optic receiver such as AMAS2 or the new AMAS 96K (or is it 92?) or something like a Belking SongStream - you won't hear any thuds when you stop/pause or connect via BT while you are at FullDA mode (meaning you enter the AMP from the Bit in a digital manner)

From the other hand - I have a center speaker at my main car (Micca Covo-S - amazing 3 inch source point at 20$ a piece) that is bridged on a massive audio BX4 amplifier (aside to the Audison Voce5.1HD running at FullDA) and since it gets so much power - it is at the lowest volumes (less attenuation) that you find out how stable and well defined that speaker is able to play - and I can't tell the difference audio wise other than hearing a little thud from it when ever I play/pause or connect via BT since it is not running at FullDA for that channel.

Which is better? opened for debate - but I've written this down in case thread owner has thoughts about infrastructure for amps which are not meshed for FullDA -> blast it with power! (or use more sensitive speakers).

Old 03-14-2019   #18

Here are the finished A pillars. Iím extremely happy with how it turned out. And how it sounds. Need to enjoy it for awhile before I go back to finish the trunk

Old 03-15-2019   #19

Rep Power: 14 mcgsxr will become famous soon enoughmcgsxr will become famous soon enoughmcgsxr will become famous soon enoughmcgsxr will become famous soon enoughmcgsxr will become famous soon enoughmcgsxr will become famous soon enough

Nice looking install.

I especially like the way the remote was installed into the ashtray.

I did a quick and dirty version of a bass remote in my CLK. I will have to look at it again this summer, as yours looks quite nice - can you close the lid on the ashtray?

Mild basshead from Canada
mcgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2019   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

He did a good job shaping those pods to try to deal with reflections. You mentioned that you like how they sound - they are pretty special aren't they?

Old 03-15-2019   #21
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 144 slvrtsunami will become famous soon enoughslvrtsunami will become famous soon enoughslvrtsunami will become famous soon enoughslvrtsunami will become famous soon enoughslvrtsunami will become famous soon enoughslvrtsunami will become famous soon enough

sub'd for more!!

2014 Focus ST... Stock for now, but not for long!
slvrtsunami is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2019   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgsxr View Post
Nice looking install.

I especially like the way the remote was installed into the ashtray.

I did a quick and dirty version of a bass remote in my CLK. I will have to look at it again this summer, as yours looks quite nice - can you close the lid on the ashtray?
Thanks. I like it too. The illumination is configurable so he matched the accent lighting. Yes, the lid closes. That remote unit is probably much larger than a bass knob, so yours should work.

Old 03-15-2019   #23

Quote:
He did a good job shaping those pods to try to deal with reflections. You mentioned that you like how they sound - they are pretty special aren't they?
Yes. The Sax are incredible too.

It has a very basic tune on it now. Going back in a week to work on that. I think I saw you on the list for the VA meet... I'll be there if you want to hear it.

Old 05-07-2019   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 106 hokiruu will become famous soon enoughhokiruu will become famous soon enoughhokiruu will become famous soon enoughhokiruu will become famous soon enoughhokiruu will become famous soon enoughhokiruu will become famous soon enough

Awesome looking system build, in a really nice car! I wish I could hear it. The metal amp rack inspires me.
hokiruu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2019   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiruu View Post
Awesome looking system build, in a really nice car! I wish I could hear it. The metal amp rack inspires me.

Thanks!

Iím looking forward to finishing the trunk. Need to get the alternator and batteries first. And an ECU tune to cancel out the extra weight...

And thereís some ďusabilityĒ type stuff I want to resolve. Factory headunit is 7 years old, so it has limitations. But after that, it will be time for the trunk.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement