2016 Ram 1500 Crewcab - New Build (Hertz, Rockford Fosgate, Jl Audio, Alpine) - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2019   #1

Rep Power: 14 saltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enough

Default 2016 Ram 1500 Crewcab - New Build (Hertz, Rockford Fosgate, Jl Audio, Alpine)

I've been lurking here for weeks planning out my build. The information here has been very helpful for selecting components. Since I now have everything, I figured I'd share the build out with the board.

To say I'm excited would be an understatement. I've had numerous "systems" in the past, but this is my first full build out in a few years. This may be my last also, so I want to do it right. I love the truck and plan to keep it for the foreseeable future. Now I want the stereo to give me goose bumps whenever I drive it. Hopefully I've selected the right assortment of components to accomplish that task.

Factory 8.4 Uconnect without Alpine 
JL Audio Fix 82 (OEM Integration)
JL Audio Twk D8 (DSP)
Hertz MLK 165.3 Mille Legend's (Front Components)
Hertz MPX 165.3 Mille PRO's (Rear Coaxial)
Alpine R-Series R-W12D4 (Subwoofer)
Rockford Fosgate Power T400X4ad (Front and Rear Speakers)
Rockford Fosgate Power T750/1bd (Subwoofer)
Fox Acousics Single 12 (Vented) Enclosure

I purchased a bulk pack of Dynamat, Stinger FAST Rings, a JL Audio FiX-LSA-4 (in case it's needed), a Rockford 1/0 amp kit, 6x9 to 6.5 brackets, and will be using mostly EFX interconnects.

The amps, Mille crossovers, Fix 82 and Twk D8 will be mounted on a rack behind the rear seat. I'm modifying the rear seat to fold forward. I'll probably display the ditribution/fuse block also.

Again, since I'm getting older, who knows if I'll do this again. I just hope it delivers. I've coveted the Mille Legends for years, so my expectations are through the roof. If the passive setup isn't what I need it to be, I'll purchase the T/4002 and go active. I'd rather not have to go active though.

Thoughts? 😁
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0823_1549131661690.jpg (1.31 MB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0832_1549131676770.jpg (1.05 MB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0833_1549131688838.jpg (1.15 MB, 79 views)

saltyone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to saltyone For This Useful Post:
cadaver (06-24-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2019   #2
Upgrade Your Membership!

12V Company:
Creative Communications
Position:
Installer

Rep Power: 0 TaylorMade will become famous soon enoughTaylorMade will become famous soon enoughTaylorMade will become famous soon enoughTaylorMade will become famous soon enoughTaylorMade will become famous soon enoughTaylorMade will become famous soon enough

It’s sounds like you are going to power each set of speakers off single channels of your T400X4, so each door would be powered by one channel. If you are dead set on using passive crossovers (which I see nothing wrong with) than you should at least bi-amp your 3-way sets in the front. And it’s my opinion you should throw a ton of power at them. Passive crossovers are inefficient and you lose considerable power using them.

You can always “temporarily” install things and see how you like it. Speakers and everything but the amps and crossovers will remain so you won’t be ripping the entire build apart or anything) I can almost guarantee the biggest gain you are going to get is by either going active, or increasing channels/power from your amps. Either way you’ll need another amp (T400X4 or whatever) or a different 6/8 channel amp to properly bi-amp and send sufficient power to those Milles.
TaylorMade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to TaylorMade For This Useful Post:
saltyone (07-24-2019)
Old 02-02-2019   #3

Rep Power: 14 saltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorMade View Post
It’s sounds like you are going to power each set of speakers off single channels of your T400X4, so each door would be powered by one channel. If you are dead set on using passive crossovers (which I see nothing wrong with) than you should at least bi-amp your 3-way sets in the front. And it’s my opinion you should throw a ton of power at them....

Thanks for the reply and recommendation. I have the Mille Legend MLK 165.3. It's not the three way...just the woofer and tweeter (I only wish I owned the 1650.3!).

That being the case, do you still feel as strongly that an active crossover is needed? I agree 100% that active would be needed with the 1650.3...or at least strongly desired.

I don't mind bi-amping and running the front stage on its own amp, but would not want to incur the added expense unless it was absolutely necessary. You make an excellent point that using a four channel for the front stage would be best (one channel per woofer and tweeter). I'd buy and use the T400/2 on the rear doors.

With the current setup, I'd run one channel of the T400/4 to each "door". The amp bench tested at about 120 watts per channel at 4 ohms. The 165.5 set has an RMS rating of 150 watts. I'm close, but I know the Mille's like power, so they'd be fine with more.

I believe I'm okay using the FiX 82 and TwK D8 either passive or active. The TwK has an optical input from the FiX and up to 8 analog outputs. Adding the second 2-channel for an active setup wouldn't cause any DSP related issues...that I can see.

Even though the truck is a daily driver, I'm trying to out-do anything I've had in the past, and I desire for it to sound very impressive when complete. That being said, I have no plans of competing in any SQ or SPL competitions...this is purely for my daily enjoyment.

Thanks again for the feedback. What are your thoughts, taking the above update into account?

Edit to add: If I was to bi-amp the front and rear doors, what combo of amps would you recommend, assuming that the existing 400/4 would be one of the two amps? They're all basically the same price, so it just comes down to which amp (number of channels) would be best.

I only assume it would make sense to put the 4 channel on the front and the 2 channel on the rear doors.

Thanks again!!

Last edited by saltyone; 02-02-2019 at 02:50 PM..

Old 02-02-2019   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 182 TomT will become famous soon enoughTomT will become famous soon enoughTomT will become famous soon enoughTomT will become famous soon enoughTomT will become famous soon enoughTomT will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2016 Ram 1500 Crewcab - New Build (Hertz, Rockford Fosgate, Jl Audio, Alpine)

Are you mounting the amps on the back wall and running all new wire to each speaker position? When I was running passives the installer put them on the back wall and ran everything back there. It made it much easier to troubleshoot things and eventually switch to an active system.

I'd also recommend leaving yourself a foot or two of slack on the cables so you can move things around after a month or so if you decide to change a few things. That way you're not having to run new wires because you decided to change up how your amps are configured. You can always clean it up later once you're happy with everything.

"Buy Once, Cry Once. Then enjoy it for a long time!!!"
TomT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to TomT For This Useful Post:
saltyone (07-24-2019)
Old 02-02-2019   #5

Rep Power: 0 atom13 will become famous soon enoughatom13 will become famous soon enoughatom13 will become famous soon enoughatom13 will become famous soon enoughatom13 will become famous soon enoughatom13 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2016 Ram 1500 Crewcab - New Build (Hertz, Rockford Fosgate, Jl Audio, Alpine)

I also have 16 Ram cc and a set of mlk2 waiting for install. I couldnít get the UConnect to send signal even with 47ohm resisters as others have used with success. I have heard that it only checks load during startup. I have the components to put a 8 ohm load with a timer. I just havenít found the time to play with it. Please update with progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
atom13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2019   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Best Buy
Position:
MECP Advanced Tech

Rep Power: 157 adrianp89 will become famous soon enoughadrianp89 will become famous soon enoughadrianp89 will become famous soon enoughadrianp89 will become famous soon enoughadrianp89 will become famous soon enoughadrianp89 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom13 View Post
I also have 16 Ram cc and a set of mlk2 waiting for install. I couldnít get the UConnect to send signal even with 47ohm resisters as others have used with success. I have heard that it only checks load during startup. I have the components to put a 8 ohm load with a timer. I just havenít found the time to play with it. Please update with progress.

If you use 100ohm resistors across the speaker lines, you will be golden. I have done it several times.

Always in for a RAM build.
adrianp89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2019   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom13 View Post
I also have 16 Ram cc and a set of mlk2 waiting for install. I couldn’t get the UConnect to send signal even with 47ohm resisters as others have used with success. I have heard that it only checks load during startup. I have the components to put a 8 ohm load with a timer. I just haven’t found the time to play with it. Please update with progress.

Will do. I talked to JL, and they said it's almost impossible to know if a specific Chrysler HU has load sensing prior to testing. That's why I went ahead and purchased the JL Fix-LSA-4...I'll have it if I need it. I'm not sure if the LSA-4 can be used "stand alone" without one of the FiX OEM Integration DSP's or not. If so, it may be what you need. As stated above, going with the larger resistor will most likely accomplish the same thing.

Good luck!

Old 02-02-2019   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT View Post
Are you mounting the amps on the back wall and running all new wire to each speaker position? When I was running passives the installer put them on the back wall and ran everything back there. It made it much easier to troubleshoot things and eventually switch to an active system.

I'd also recommend leaving yourself a foot or two of slack on the cables so you can move things around after a month or so if you decide to change a few things. That way you're not having to run new wires because you decided to change up how your amps are configured. You can always clean it up later once you're happy with everything.
Everything is being mounted on a rack behind the rear seat. Easy access and will allow me to show the magic "behind the curtain". I'll definitely leave some slack for future additions.

Also, yes, I'm running wires straight from the amps to the crossover and new wires to each individual speaker. All "extra" wire will be hidden behind the amp rack so leaving slack is no problem. Great recommendation!

Thanks!

Old 02-02-2019   #9

Rep Power: 0 atom13 will become famous soon enoughatom13 will become famous soon enoughatom13 will become famous soon enoughatom13 will become famous soon enoughatom13 will become famous soon enoughatom13 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianp89 View Post
If you use 100ohm resistors across the speaker lines, you will be golden. I have done it several times.

Always in for a RAM build.

Thanks, Iím limited on time due to kids. I didnít want to waste time trying to find the perfect resistor for my radio so I figured 8 ohms should definitely work. But with such a low resistance I canít keep it connected constantly. So I figured Iíll add a timer and micro relays. My only concern is introducing noise to the signal.

atom13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2019   #10

So...for those of you experienced with the Hertz Legends (2 channel, not 3 channel), will the 400/4 wired passively suffice? I guess the only way to really know is to wire everything up and try it out...LOL.

Old 02-03-2019   #11

What do you think guys? Anyone with experience with this component set? Looking for feedback on running them passive using the front channels of the T400/4. In for a dime, in for a dollar. If I need to purchase the 2 channel I will. I'll need professional help to tune an active set up though.

Old 02-04-2019   #12

Bump

Old 02-06-2019   #13

Rep Power: 84 etroze will become famous soon enoughetroze will become famous soon enoughetroze will become famous soon enoughetroze will become famous soon enoughetroze will become famous soon enoughetroze will become famous soon enough

I used a set of older Millie's in my 2011 Ram and man they loved power I had 300 wrms available just for the woofers. I ran mine active as well so my suggestion is to do that if you want that eye opening holy crap moment.
Now staying with the passives I would absolutely make sure you have extra power on tap so when you tune you won't be wanting more. I'm a big believer that more is always better lol.

Pioneer AVH-X4700BS->Helix DSP->Mosconi AS100.4-> KAXBLTW, AS100.4-> Hertz ML1600, Mosconi AS300.2-> SI 12 MagV3
etroze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to etroze For This Useful Post:
saltyone (07-24-2019)
Old 02-06-2019   #14
Upgrade Your Membership!

12V Company:
Creative Communications
Position:
Installer

Rep Power: 0 TaylorMade will become famous soon enoughTaylorMade will become famous soon enoughTaylorMade will become famous soon enoughTaylorMade will become famous soon enoughTaylorMade will become famous soon enoughTaylorMade will become famous soon enough

I absolutely promise that you will not be disappointed with giving yourself extra power, side from the extra work of putting an extra amp in. I would put as much power as you can afford/fit in your car. Do it right the first time and you shouldnt have to pull crap back out and it should put a smile on your face every time you get in your car.
From experience, I nickel-dick equipment and/or labor/effort on install and I regret it until I fix it, which half the time I don’t even do. So you spend all this money on nice equipment and are not as happy with the results as you’d like to be.
Also, if you are going to run the passive crossovers with your JL DSP, they will help you from making a lot of mistakes on your first time tuning an active system. They will allow for some error in your tune/power settings. JL has different levels of tuning with their “TUN” software, starting with a quick basic setup tune that takes less than 10 minutes, all the way up to advanced/expert which would require more experience and know-how.
TaylorMade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2019   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorMade View Post
I absolutely promise that you will not be disappointed with giving yourself extra power, side from the extra work of putting an extra amp in. I would put as much power as you can afford/fit in your car. Do it right the first time and you shouldnt have to pull crap back out and it should put a smile on your face every time you get in your car.
From experience, I nickel-dick equipment and/or labor/effort on install and I regret it until I fix it, which half the time I don’t even do. So you spend all this money on nice equipment and are not as happy with the results as you’d like to be.
Also, if you are going to run the passive crossovers with your JL DSP, they will help you from making a lot of mistakes on your first time tuning an active system. They will allow for some error in your tune/power settings. JL has different levels of tuning with their “TUN” software, starting with a quick basic setup tune that takes less than 10 minutes, all the way up to advanced/expert which would require more experience and know-how.
Thanks guys! Looks like I'll try to go active, as suggested. That being the case, assuming I keep the T/400/4, should I purchase the 2 channel T/400/2, or another 4 channel?

I "assume" I'll run the two channel amp to the front woofers (more power to the woofers), two channels from the 4 channel to the the front tweeters, and the othe 2
Channels from the 4 channel to the rear coaxial PRO's?

Thanks again!

Old 02-13-2019   #16

Done. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pics and details coming shortly

Again...OMG!!!!!!!

Old 02-14-2019   #17

It's difficult to describe the quality of the sound from the Mille Legends...just simply amazing!

The TwK D8 is the nicest DSP I've ever owned. In previous vehicles, I've had three top of the line Audio Control DSP's. They were all analog, and of course the TwK is digital. Whole different ball game when it comes to ease of tuning.

As you can see, I did the rear seat modification. Just FYI, the mod works perfectly with 5/8th inch spacers and cutting 1/2 an inch from the four hooks. It functions as if it came this way from the factory.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0087_1550126405377.jpg (1.05 MB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0088_1550126422886.jpg (1.15 MB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0091_1550126441078.jpg (1.18 MB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0965_1550126473671.jpg (1.25 MB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0085_1550126667384.jpg (988.7 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0081_1550126698231.jpg (1.20 MB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0082_1550126781548.jpg (1.22 MB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0929_1550126866256.jpg (968.1 KB, 57 views)

cadaver (06-24-2019)
Old 02-14-2019   #18

More pics of install...the LED is nice as long as it's not aimed directly in the cabin. I aimed it down in a pcoket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0938_1550126948403.jpg (1.47 MB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0931_1550126973644.jpg (1.50 MB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0936_1550127010119.jpg (1.40 MB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0954_1550127033623.jpg (998.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0952_1550127058687.jpg (1.21 MB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0953_1550127153483.jpg (827.8 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0943_1550127187752.jpg (1,013.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0958_1550127211839.jpg (1.41 MB, 54 views)

cadaver (06-24-2019)
Old 02-14-2019   #19

More pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0981_1550127266885.jpg (1.55 MB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0098_1550127287488.jpg (1.37 MB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0948_1550127324014.jpg (1.38 MB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0945_1550127351534.jpg (1.58 MB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0939_1550127379285.jpg (1.30 MB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0937_1550127415766.jpg (1.31 MB, 49 views)

cadaver (06-24-2019)
Old 02-14-2019   #20

I couldn't be happier. I've owned nice systems in the past, but none of them measured up to the Legends. I used Alpine Type X in the previous build, with PDX amps. They weren't close to the Hertz, IMO. I love driving again...and with every some available at the top of my finger, I'll be looking for any excuse to drive somewhere.

Also...these Rockford amps are wonderful. They do their jobs without any issues. Very clean and powerful.

Old 02-14-2019   #21

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 85 JCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enough

Nice clean simple build you have there. Nothing crazy and very good equipment using stock locations. Iím a big fan of those JL DSPís also. I love builds like this because they show that anyone can do them with some basic skills and tools.

Nice job!

Sienna SB29 Focal PS165V Alpine SWS10 Mazda CX5 AF GB15 AF GB60 AF GB12 Ford F150 AF GB10 JLC5 Sundown SD310.
JCsAudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to JCsAudio For This Useful Post:
saltyone (07-24-2019)
Old 02-14-2019   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 308 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8toilet View Post
Nice clean simple build you have there. Nothing crazy and very good equipment using stock locations. Iím a big fan of those JL DSPís also. I love builds like this because they show that anyone can do them with some basic skills and tools.

Nice job!
Yup, I'm kinda a sucker for simple builds too. The big complicated builds with fiberglass everywhere are nice but for most on here big complicated builds are considered "unobtanium" whether it be skills, price, or just not wanting to be obvious there's audio in there. I fall into all 3 categories. I'm honestly WAY more impressed by a more simple build sounding good than I am a complicated no holds barred build sounding great. Take that comment for what it is and don't look too deep into itI love how the OP's truck looks like nothing ever happened in the way of audio from the outside looking in. Good job and glad it exceeded your expectations

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...Dayton HO12d4...www.caraudiojunkies.com
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2019   #23

Thanks guys! Yes, it looks almost entirely stock. Looks and sound are two different things though. It sounds amazing, at least to my somewhat untrained ears. One of the first songs played was a live recording of Hotel California...damn near brought a tear to my eyes. Just marvelous! It was like hearing the song for the first time.

Now I'm wondering how I would do in an amature SQ competition...🤔😄

One more pic...floor board dynamat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0092_1550168470453.jpg (1.39 MB, 40 views)

cadaver (06-24-2019)
Old 02-14-2019   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 117 Black Rain will become famous soon enoughBlack Rain will become famous soon enoughBlack Rain will become famous soon enoughBlack Rain will become famous soon enoughBlack Rain will become famous soon enoughBlack Rain will become famous soon enough

Saltyone....Did you notice if you needed to use the LSA or you just thru it in there since you had it? Also, have you looked at NetAudioWF and their Ram harnesses and enclosures?

2013 Dodge Ram (under construction)
Black Rain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2019   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Rain View Post
Saltyone....Did you notice if you needed to use the LSA or you just thru it in there since you had it? Also, have you looked at NetAudioWF and their Ram harnesses and enclosures?
The LSA did not show enough of a load, so we used resistors. I had to have something though due to the HU not playing without it. We tried without first with no success.

I haven't seen that harness. I used an Axxess AX-DSP-CH5 harness to send the signal to the FiX 82. I think I paid $30 for the harness from OnlineCarStereo.com. It served it's purpose without issue. Because this harness is designed to match the Axxess DSP to this HU, it plugged right in.

Edit...I just looked up the harness you mentioned. It costs $175. Is there a reason to use this harness over other options, given the price difference between it and something like the one I used?

Last edited by saltyone; 02-14-2019 at 06:07 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement