2019 Ford Edge ST build... - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2019   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 90 gregerst22 will become famous soon enoughgregerst22 will become famous soon enoughgregerst22 will become famous soon enoughgregerst22 will become famous soon enoughgregerst22 will become famous soon enoughgregerst22 will become famous soon enough

Default 2019 Ford Edge ST build...

I am excited to finally start a new build in my Ford Edge ST. I was orginally going to start a build last spring with my Edge Sport. But then a couple things happened. Last spring we moved into a new house, that event pretty much occupied my free time for a couple months. My tools and garage were in complete disaray as we settled in. Then mid summer Ford showed the new Edge ST and I was instantly smitten by the styling and performance updates. Enough so, that I sat on the fence with doing the audio system. Fast forward to now and the 18 months or so without a good audio system has been rough. So I'm ready to get started.

This will be a 3-way active front stage with subs. I'll be reusing some equipment from my previous build along with swapping in some new stuff. The plan is Audiofrog GB10/25 combo in the sail panels and JL ZR800 in the kicks. Lowend will be a pair of GB12's. For power I'm going with Mmats, 6x150w up front and a Mmats mono 2000w amp will power the subs. I may decide to do rear fill at some point down the road and if I do, it looks like there are some good factory locations for rear fill in the ceiling at the back corners.

One thing that is still up in the air at the moment is the audio source. I have been in contact with the folks at NAV-TV about OEM integration and they are currently working on a unit for my vehicle, but apparently still has some bugs to work out. It's basically a tweaked version of the same unit used in other Ford vehicles that have the B&O sound system. I should know more soon. If the OEM integration does not work out I have another idea using a Pioneer HU. Either way, it will be a clean source without signal summing and I'll use my Helix DSP Pro for processing.

Routing the Stinger 1/0 wire to the back to the power distribution block.

Not much for now but I'll be posting more pics soon.

gregerst22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to gregerst22 For This Useful Post:
cadaver (05-20-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2019   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 90 gregerst22 will become famous soon enoughgregerst22 will become famous soon enoughgregerst22 will become famous soon enoughgregerst22 will become famous soon enoughgregerst22 will become famous soon enoughgregerst22 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2019 Ford Edge ST build...

You may be wondering what the heck I'm doing with this..

Old 04-29-2019   #3
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 77 unix_usr will become famous soon enoughunix_usr will become famous soon enoughunix_usr will become famous soon enoughunix_usr will become famous soon enoughunix_usr will become famous soon enoughunix_usr will become famous soon enough

Following... just got the same car in Performance Blue for my wife ... might take over her lease in a few years and buy it out for my winter vehicle.

That said - you can disable the oem eq and relegate the outputs to full-range 4v pre-outs just in software from the oem unit. PM me... I still have some research to get the specific configuration string for this - but you can use ForScan and a $30 usb odb-ii adapter to do this.

My next goal is to make a module to Ford oem integration to a helix dsp ... giving up on minidsp now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current build (almost completed) -> 2017 Mustang GT PP, Zapco DC series amps & DSP, all active - dual 18" Fi IB3 Subwoofers in IB.

Version 2: Zapco LX 6 A/B for mains, Zapco Z3K D for 12" Sundown Z12 in IB, miniDSP C68 integrated with custom micro to OEM processing and controls...
unix_usr is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to unix_usr For This Useful Post:
Romey (04-29-2019)

Old 04-29-2019   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Cool, I PM'd you. This will be great solution if it works with the newer B&O system. And I just learned NAV-TV won't have their unit fully working anytime soon.

Old 05-18-2019   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

I haven't been posting any updates here recently, because I am lazy when it comes to this sort of thing. However, I have actually been working a lot on the build. Here's some progress pics.

Getting ready to glass kicks and subwoofer box. The ST with performance brake package does not come with spare tire. You get an air inflator and sealant kit in the spot where the spare tire would normally be. No problem because I'm using the spare tire area for the subs anyway. I sealed off much of the interior of the vehicle from the areas I was working on to help reduce the lingering odor. Fiberglass resin really isn't a pleasant smell. and I gotta say fiberglassing sucks, my body doesn't like getting poked with those tiny prickly little strands. Makes me itch just thinking about it.

Here's the kicks glassed, 5 layers, I used spandex material for cloth and some body filler over it. Interior is reinforced with a bondo / /resin milkshake. They will be finished in vinyl wrap.
The earlier pic above with the vacuum hose was done so I could find out where air in the kicks would vent. I reversed the vacuum hose so it was blowing air. Then I looked around the vehicle until I found where most of the air was going. It turns out most of it vents into the top of the engine bay.

I got all wiring ran for power, ground & speakers. The sub box is finished and just waiting for the other GB12 to arrive. I relocated the tire inflator kit and tire jack into the amp rack.

This is the 6.8" LCD display for Pioneer's new DMH-C2500NEX modular AV receiver. The cool thing about it is the display can be separated far away the brain unit with an optional 5ft extension cable. I have already mounted the chassis mounted under the passenger front seat and the display will be mounted in center console pocket area under the HVAC controls.

I am really glad Pioneer came out with this unit. It's is great for situations where you don't have room for the whole chassis in the dash. I was moments away from modding a 4200NEX and making my own extension cable for it, when I stumbled upon this unit.

cadaver (05-20-2019)
Old 05-19-2019   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
High Definition Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 337 Niebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice....subscribed to see how this turns out. The other sub should be there shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
There is a difference between overkill and bad. Your idea isn't overkill, it's bad.
Niebur3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2019   #7

Rep Power: 0 daviddto will become famous soon enoughdaviddto will become famous soon enoughdaviddto will become famous soon enoughdaviddto will become famous soon enoughdaviddto will become famous soon enoughdaviddto will become famous soon enough

Very nice work
daviddto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2019   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 156 lashlee will become famous soon enoughlashlee will become famous soon enoughlashlee will become famous soon enoughlashlee will become famous soon enoughlashlee will become famous soon enoughlashlee will become famous soon enough

Intrigued at the modular Pioneer...could make some installs much easier.

Good job on the rest of the install!
lashlee is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2019   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Today I mounted the C2500NEX display in the center console. I still need to finish the trim around it but the mounting part is done and turned out good and solid. Using tin snips I was able to modify the brackets that were included with the HU so that it would fit inside the console pocket at the angle I wanted, which was to closely match the angle of the OEM display. Once I had that done I used machine screws to secure the brackets to the car's console. All of it is hidden and should I ever need to take it out I will not need to replace any parts and nobody will know it.

Here's what it looks like before. Inside that pocket are two USB ports that connect to the Ford Sync3 system and a wireless charging pad. This cubby costs about $230 from the dealer so I didn't want to permanently modify it I could avoid it.

I was able to do some mounting work outside the vehicle which made things easier. Here the display is at the angle and location I wanted.

Something I always wanted to do in previous builds was install USB port mounts for the HU and DSP to make accessing them more convenient. I never got around to doing it but decided to do it this time.

Here I swapped out the 12v plug in the center console bin with a dual USB port extension. To the left is another single USB port extension.
On the dual port, I have one connected to the OEM HU, which is now blocked by the Pioneer display. I did this in case I still want to connect something to the Ford Sync3 system. The second port connects to the C2500NEX USB input. The third USB port is connected to the Helix DSP.

One other thing I wanted to do in previous builds but never got around to is installing a switch to turn on the audio system independently from the rest of the car, so none of the other car accessories need to be on, and I always wanted a hidden deactivation switch for times when I need to take the car in to have serviced or leave with somebody.

So I installed a small three way toggle switch under the dash. It's wired to provide power on with car ignition like normal, the middle is off, and the third option is independent power on. I'm sure a lot of people do something similar to this. I just never have until now.

cadaver (05-20-2019)
Old 05-19-2019   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niebur3 View Post
Nice....subscribed to see how this turns out. The other sub should be there shortly.
Thanks. Can't wait to have them both playing. I managed to get about 2 cu ft out of that box and I have plenty of power on tap so they should sound good. We shall see.

Old 05-19-2019   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 337 Niebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregerst22 View Post

So I installed a small three way toggle switch under the dash. It's wired to provide power on with car ignition like normal, the middle is off, and the third option is independent power on. I'm sure a lot of people do something similar to this. I just never have until now.

I like that idea.

Quote:
There is a difference between overkill and bad. Your idea isn't overkill, it's bad.
The Following User Says Thank You to Niebur3 For This Useful Post:
cadaver (05-20-2019)
Old 05-19-2019   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by lashlee View Post
Intrigued at the modular Pioneer...could make some installs much easier.

Good job on the rest of the install!
Pioneer has another modular unit, the DMH-C5500NEX. It has an 8" capacitive screen and looks sweet. Too big for my application but could be great for other installs. Pioneer and metra are supposed to be making install kits for these HU's.

Old 05-19-2019   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 174 JayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enough

I just installed a Nav-TV Zen A2B in an 18 Raptor. It is specifically for Ford vehicles with the B&O and Revel audio systems. It comes with a pair of plugs for power and Can bus respectively. Not only was the CAN bus plug wired backwards, it was also wired upside down, resulting in 2 calls to tech support where I was essentially told that "That happens." Before we sorted that out, the radio would say Audio Off and would not allow you to turn it on. Or it would switch back and forth between radio and off every 1 sec.

Jay

JayinMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2019   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Sounds like they need to step up their quality control. I would probably have gone the NavTv route if they sold one for my vehicle. I was told they have a modified version in a 19 Edge but the firmware is still buggy.

Old 06-10-2019   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Finally posting some more progress pics!

Here's the second sub installed. THanks jerry.
I'll echo what others have said about these subs. They sound great. Clean, transparent, accurate etc. I'm glad I got two.

Built a new cargo floor with steel mesh for the subs and amps.

Kicks are done and these ZR800's are sounding awesome! It's finally nice not having to deal with any rattles, resonance or vibrations associated mounting big midbass like these in the doors. I have ran these JL's in different car doors and they are a lot of work to try to tame and was still not achievable to this level.
The pods are bolted down in multiple places, with about a brick of duct seal pressed in around the baffle in the nooks and crannies. They woofers are vented to the outside and the pods were made so they would press seal against the carpet / insulation when bolted down.
Very happy with the super clean midbass with this setup.

I was able to retain the drivers side factory kick trim panel without any significant modification other than trimming it to fit around the new kick pods. The hood release was relocated forward toward the seat about an inch and up about an inch.
There is still a good amount of foot room next to the pod and I built a little foot rest platform underneath the carpet.

Can't really tell but the floor mat is actually cut and tucked under the lip of the pod. I need to find somebody that can sew the edges that I cut.

Next, I finished the sail pods for the mids and tweets. I spent a bit of time aiming the speakers, trying different positions and angles. I was hoping to integrate the GB10 tweeter into the pods but it wasn't going to happen without making them larger than I wanted. So instead, I went with the smaller Dayton ND16FA tweeter.
I wanted to keep the pods on the smaller side so they would integrate better with the interior. I am guessing they are about .5 L sealed.
I took advantage of an existing 10mm bolt/nut behind the pods to secure them in place.

Here's a shot of the kicks and sail pods together.

That's pretty much it for now. I was able to spend a little bit of time tuning it with the RTA to throw a base target curve on, I like Jazzi's, and I am pleasantly surprised how good it sounds right out of the gate.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gregerst22 For This Useful Post:
cadaver (06-11-2019), chithead (06-18-2019), jpsandberg (06-20-2019)
Old 06-10-2019   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Position:
Owner

Very nice!!!!

Quote:
Old 06-11-2019   #17

Rep Power: 16 mcgsxr will become famous soon enoughmcgsxr will become famous soon enoughmcgsxr will become famous soon enoughmcgsxr will become famous soon enoughmcgsxr will become famous soon enoughmcgsxr will become famous soon enough

Love the sub install, I have always wanted to do something in the spare well.

Those pods look really sano - really impressive how integrated they look.

Fitting those kicks in must sound amazing too.

Thanks for sharing!

Mild basshead from Canada
mcgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2019   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niebur3 View Post
Very nice!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgsxr View Post
Love the sub install, I have always wanted to do something in the spare well.

Those pods look really sano - really impressive how integrated they look.

Fitting those kicks in must sound amazing too.

Thanks for sharing!
Thx. It is crazy how much time & material it takes to do a build like this. I'm just a handy diy'er with a decent set of tools but I can see why the pros charge what the do.

Old 06-17-2019   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 182 strong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enough

Definitely a show vehicle,excellent workmanship.

‘19 Subaru “Big A” Ascent
Wife - “Please leave the stereo alone!”
strong*I*bumpin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 174 JayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by strong*I*bumpin View Post
‘19 Subaru “Big A” Ascent
Wife - “Please leave the stereo alone!”

Lol.

Nice job on the sails, Gregers, I really like the unique shape.
Have you had any issues with the Pioneer modular screen? I know they had some issues with some of them and sort of pulled them back to repair/update them.

Jay

JayinMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 304 LBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Looking good!

For Fast Moving Concerts
Team LB audio
Team Hybrid Audio
Team BRAX
Team SCB
LBaudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post

Lol.

Nice job on the sails, Gregers, I really like the unique shape.
Have you had any issues with the Pioneer modular screen? I know they had some issues with some of them and sort of pulled them back to repair/update them.

Jay
The shape of the sail pods are interesting. Instead of just rounding the bottom of the pods I threw in some sharp lines and angles because I wanted to bring some of the lines from the door panels and dash to it.

With Pioneer unit I initially had all sorts of random issues with it, including screen flicker but I figured out it was because of a poor ground. After I ran the ground wire back to the common distribution block all of the problems went away and it has been working great ever since. By the way I tested it with a DD-1 and there is zero distortion up to max volume, as should be expected. The HU / amps are extremely quiet with barely any noise floor. I need to put my ear close to a speaker to hear it.

Old 06-18-2019   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBaudio View Post
Looking good!
Thx!

Old 06-18-2019   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by strong*I*bumpin View Post
Definitely a show vehicle,excellent workmanship.
Thanks. I need to do beauty panel for the amps with some acrylic and led's.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement