2012 MINI Cooper S R58 Build - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1

Rep Power: 4 mpm17 will become famous soon enoughmpm17 will become famous soon enoughmpm17 will become famous soon enoughmpm17 will become famous soon enoughmpm17 will become famous soon enoughmpm17 will become famous soon enough

Default 2012 MINI Cooper S R58 Build

Some basic pics to start with. I haven't really done a serious modification yet but it's time to get on with this. I bought one more Tang Band tweeter 25-2176s for my tweeter pod build. Some 1 1/2" PVC Caps and they fit pretty good in it. I will machine the inside of the cap enough to recess the ring into the cap and epoxy it flush to the lip. The brass fittings will let me attach to the a-pillar trim and run the speaker wire thru it. More pics to follow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DIY tweeter pod.jpg (171.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DIY tweeter pod micro machining needs.jpg (141.5 KB, 18 views)
mpm17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2

Rep Power: 4 mpm17 will become famous soon enoughmpm17 will become famous soon enoughmpm17 will become famous soon enoughmpm17 will become famous soon enoughmpm17 will become famous soon enoughmpm17 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2012 MINI Cooper S R58 Build

The amp I choose to use. Does everything I need and want. Atleast for now. We all know how this stuff grows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IQ1000.5.jpg (210.0 KB, 25 views)
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3

Rep Power: 40 hankhowdy1 will become famous soon enoughhankhowdy1 will become famous soon enoughhankhowdy1 will become famous soon enoughhankhowdy1 will become famous soon enoughhankhowdy1 will become famous soon enoughhankhowdy1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpm17 View Post
Some basic pics to start with. I haven't really done a serious modification yet but it's time to get on with this. I bought one more Tang Band tweeter 25-2176s for my tweeter pod build. Some 1 1/2" PVC Caps and they fit pretty good in it. I will machine the inside of the cap enough to recess the ring into the cap and epoxy it flush to the lip. The brass fittings will let me attach to the a-pillar trim and run the speaker wire thru it. More pics to follow.

Will the brass nuts be visible? If there are whatís the solution to hide them. Iím also in the process Of mounting some tweeters. Just looking for ideas. I like the pvc caps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hankhowdy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankhowdy1 View Post
Will the brass nuts be visible? If there are whatís the solution to hide them. Iím also in the process Of mounting some tweeters. Just looking for ideas. I like the pvc caps.

I'm considering a thick black o-ring to hide them after they are tight. I will be able to do the final tightening from the back of the a-pillar. There will be epoxy involved so the o-ring will hide any mess I might make. Also will use a black rubber o-ring between the mounting ring and the tweeter. It fills the small gap and size difference between the PVC cap and the tweeters aluminum dress ring. I'll paint the PVC cap black but I am going to experiment with some texture sprays to find something similiar to the dash or a-pillar. I'll post pics and descriptions of what I finally do.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5

Rep Power: 40 hankhowdy1 will become famous soon enoughhankhowdy1 will become famous soon enoughhankhowdy1 will become famous soon enoughhankhowdy1 will become famous soon enoughhankhowdy1 will become famous soon enoughhankhowdy1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpm17 View Post
I'm considering a thick black o-ring to hide them after they are tight. I will be able to do the final tightening from the back of the a-pillar. There will be epoxy involved so the o-ring will hide any mess I might make. Also will use a black rubber o-ring between the mounting ring and the tweeter. It fills the small gap and size difference between the PVC cap and the tweeters aluminum dress ring. I'll paint the PVC cap black but I am going to experiment with some texture sprays to find something similiar to the dash or a-pillar. I'll post pics and descriptions of what I finally do.

Sounds good. I will be mounting them to the sail panel. My sail panels are too small for a tweeter. I have to mount a cup to it. I would like to find an adjustable mount to fit between the cup and sail panel.

hankhowdy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6

Rep Power: 0 allenm324 will become famous soon enoughallenm324 will become famous soon enoughallenm324 will become famous soon enoughallenm324 will become famous soon enoughallenm324 will become famous soon enoughallenm324 will become famous soon enough

Interested in how the tweeters sound, the mounting, and most of all the texture spray you find works best. I still need to pick a tweeter for my R56, but I know I will be going the pod route for mounting.
allenm324 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankhowdy1 View Post
Sounds good. I will be mounting them to the sail panel. My sail panels are too small for a tweeter. I have to mount a cup to it. I would like to find an adjustable mount to fit between the cup and sail panel.

Mine are not going to be exactly adjustable, but I think I can get them pointed properly. If not I can atleast make a few sets to experiment with. The cups were less than $2 each. My little car doesn't have a sail panel. I'm a little jealous.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenm324 View Post
Interested in how the tweeters sound, the mounting, and most of all the texture spray you find works best. I still need to pick a tweeter for my R56, but I know I will be going the pod route for mounting.
The tweeters in their current location sound good. I have them in the top of the door panel just forward of the interior door panel. I did drill a hole for them but they mount so nice. I'm going to get another set of the C shaped part of the door panels when I get my tweeters mounted to the a-pillar. Unfortunately the Tang Band tweeters I have are no longer available in the USofA. Or atleast I couldn't find them so I ordered a single one from nonsolospeakers.com. Not cheap as shipping was half the total cost. Parts Express pricing was $35 I believe. Nonsolospeaker.com cost me $87. International shipping is not your friend. Stay tuned for more pics after this weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old tweeter location R58.jpg (335.8 KB, 13 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to mpm17 For This Useful Post:
cadaver (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9

Made a little progress. Came out real good. I had to machine the inner lip of the cup to get the aluminum mounting ring to recess into the cup. I am going to epoxy the rings in place and drill the hole for mounting on the A-pillar. Still no decision on surface texture for the cup. I haven't been able to find a texture spray similar to the dash or a-pillar surface so I might experiment with truck bed liner or rubberized paint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tweeter aluminum ring.jpg (149.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Machined section of pod.jpg (113.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Assembled kinda tweeter pod.jpg (120.8 KB, 12 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mpm17 For This Useful Post:
cadaver (3 Weeks Ago), hankhowdy1 (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

A bit more progress after some vacation time in Mexico. Lots of beer and burritos. Good times.

I ended up using bed liner as my texture coating on the pods. I'm ok(lower case) with the results but I will be messing around with other texture options and maybe some material to wrap it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tweeter pod complete with bedliner.jpg (144.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Tweeter pod with bed liner.jpg (258.7 KB, 4 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to mpm17 For This Useful Post:
cadaver (1 Week Ago)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement