Fancy sub box build - need some ideas, plz - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2019   #1

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 97 DavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enough

Default Fancy sub box build - need some ideas, plz

So, I have this sub and it's REALLY nice looking! Lol

I love a challenging project, so I want to build a very unusual box with uncommon materials and techniques... Think acrylic, aluminum, fiber glass, carbon fiber, pvc, etc..

I have no idea what I want to do and I'd love some wild ideas!

Also, I have no use for this sub when it's done so I'll either sell it or put it on display... That being said, there are NO restrictions or requirements in the design and build!!

It's one of the most beautiful subs on the market, imho. (@ToNasty, thanks for letting me shamelessly use your pictures)

2018 Jeep GC - AF GB10s, GB25s, GS690s, Zapco & Mosconi amps, (2) AF GB12s, Helix Pro MK2 & Director, Fiio X5
My wife was furious when she overheard me say I want to do a 3 way in my Jeep
DavidRam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2019   #2

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 97 DavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Fancy sub box build - need some ideas, plz

Food for thought... Maybe I should pop my fiber-glassing cherry?!

2018 Jeep GC - AF GB10s, GB25s, GS690s, Zapco & Mosconi amps, (2) AF GB12s, Helix Pro MK2 & Director, Fiio X5
Old 06-20-2019   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 377 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

I like the acrylic box with the JL, and hate literally everything about the blue fiberglass one, haha. What about something done with an exotic wood veneer? Maybe a combo of "modern" materials and "classic" wood, done tastefully of course.
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to gijoe For This Useful Post:
oabeieo (08-16-2019)

Old 06-20-2019   #4

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 85 JCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enough

I like this one. Go for the acrylic see through with that subwoofer. Itís like itís made for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9E64D47A-CFDA-4374-AA57-24DD723F04F3.jpeg (98.9 KB, 30 views)

Sienna SB29 Focal PS165V Alpine SWS10 Mazda CX5 AF GB15 AF GB60 AF GB12 Ford F150 AF GB10 JLC5 Sundown SD310.
JCsAudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2019   #5

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
I like the acrylic box with the JL, and hate literally everything about the blue fiberglass one, haha. What about something done with an exotic wood veneer? Maybe a combo of "modern" materials and "classic" wood, done tastefully of course.
That is an awesome idea! Hadn't thought of that... Maybe I can find a zebra wood type veneer and put some curves in the box.
Wood, acrylic with some polished aluminum trim?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCsAudio View Post
I like this one. Go for the acrylic see through with that subwoofer. Itís like itís made for it.
Absolutely, this sub has to be seen, acrylic is a must for at least part of the box.

Last edited by DavidRam; 06-20-2019 at 06:45 PM..
Old 06-20-2019   #6

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 85 JCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enough

I know, how about an acrylic box with a zebra wood round and flared Port with a high gloss finish. Yeah, Iíd like to see you pull that one off Dave.

I agree with joe, that blue thing is ugly.

Sienna SB29 Focal PS165V Alpine SWS10 Mazda CX5 AF GB15 AF GB60 AF GB12 Ford F150 AF GB10 JLC5 Sundown SD310.
JCsAudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2019   #7

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCsAudio View Post
I know, how about an acrylic box with a zebra wood round and flared Port with a high gloss finish. Yeah, Iíd like to see you pull that one off Dave.

I agree with joe, that blue thing is ugly.
I am not against that challenge... ... the "zebra wood round and flared port with a high gloss finish" part makes me shiver in my boots a little! Lol

I agree that the fiberglass box is hideous, it was more just an exampled of fiberglass-ing (which I have never done before).

Old 06-20-2019   #8

Rep Power: 14 OldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enough

David,

I think Gijoe is on the money. The acrylic allows one to see the woofer and the other build materials. I think you should include some great looking wood, aluminum/stainless, and Carbon Fiber. Do you want this to play and sound good or simply show off the woofer?
OldNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2019   #9

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNewbie View Post
David,

I think Gijoe is on the money. The acrylic allows one to see the woofer and the other build materials. I think you should include some great looking wood, aluminum/stainless, and Carbon Fiber. Do you want this to play and sound good or simply show off the woofer?
It's mostly for fun, but I will want the sub to play and sound "good", though looks are a priority. The sub is so good looking... I am definitely thinking along the lines of the wood-metal-cf and some acrylic to be able to see the sub.

Of course lots of lighting effects... I usually go for blue LEDs, but on this one I think I'll let the materials and finishes do the talking and just give it a white light with really high K like 5,000+.

Old 06-21-2019   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 377 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

I like the acrylic, aluminum, wood veneer theme, a veneered port inside of an acrylic box could be really cool. I'm not really a fan of CF personally, it's a great material, but in my opinion there is nothing "classy" about it, maybe I've seen too many poorly modified cars, but bare CF looks tacky to me.
Old 06-21-2019   #11
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 67 Souths1der will become famous soon enoughSouths1der will become famous soon enoughSouths1der will become famous soon enoughSouths1der will become famous soon enoughSouths1der will become famous soon enoughSouths1der will become famous soon enough

That basket is so cool looking. I would do something with it inverted, and use some futuristic metal looking contraption that its blasting into.
Souths1der is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2019   #12

Enthusiast

Quote:
I like the acrylic, aluminum, wood veneer theme, a veneered port inside of an acrylic box could be really cool. I'm not really a fan of CF personally, it's a great material, but in my opinion there is nothing "classy" about it, maybe I've seen too many poorly modified cars, but bare CF looks tacky to me.
That is the most likely mix of materials... I am thinking the baffle and another window need to be acrylic, because I don't where to go to bend acrylic that is 1/2-3/4" thick! All of the curves would be in the wood veneer part. The aluminum would serve as trim pieces and design elements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souths1der View Post
That basket is so cool looking. I would do something with it inverted, and use some futuristic metal looking contraption that its blasting into.
It's a beautiful sub, all the way around! I thought about inverting it... Hmmm, I'm trying to picture the metal contraption... It sounds cool

Old 06-21-2019   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 110 nyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souths1der View Post
If you go this route, you can put the port on the rear wall of the box, like it's coming out of the driver. Paint it red/orange/yellow like flames. The driver kind of resembles a jet turbine. If you're into mythology, Mercury has wings on his feet for fast communication. He's "swift". Also plays into the airplane deal. The grille could be fashioned like airplane blades.

Edit: grille "blades" could be the aluminum design element.
nyquistrate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2019   #14

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyquistrate View Post
If you go this route, you can put the port on the rear wall of the box, like it's coming out of the driver. Paint it red/orange/yellow like flames. The driver kind of resembles a jet turbine. If you're into mythology, Mercury has wings on his feet for fast communication. He's "swift". Also plays into the airplane deal. The grille could be fashioned like airplane blades.

Edit: grille "blades" could be the aluminum design element.
Oh boy, I don't think I have the skills for all that!

Sounds awesome though...

Old 06-21-2019   #15

Enthusiast

I think I just found two sides of the box: the baffle, the "impossible-to-make" curve and the top!!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Acrylic-End...s/372674037771

Old 06-21-2019   #16

Enthusiast

What if I did an aluminum inlay in the wood?

Old 06-21-2019   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRam View Post
What if I did an aluminum inlay in the wood?
That could be really cool, depending on how you integrate the inlay with the wood grain.
Old 06-21-2019   #18

Enthusiast

Quote:
That could be really cool, depending on how you integrate the inlay with the wood grain.
I added pics as examples... I think I am going to do that. I love it

Old 06-21-2019   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
I added pics as examples... I think I am going to do that. I love it
I dig the darker wood with the thin inlay.

Are you planning any LEDs?

What about a "waterfall" effect with colored epoxy?
Old 06-21-2019   #20
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 362 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in to see where this goes. And gijoe's post #3 could have come out of my mouth, word for word.

If you are interested in acrylic, check out Bobby Gately. He does some really amazing enclosures using acrylic. I got to see/hold one in person at the SPL comp in Fresno and it was pretty incredible.

Kenwood DDX9905S | Helix DSP.2 | Zapco Z-150.6 AP + Z-400.2 AP (x2) | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Raven 10XL (x2)
2015 MECA SQL Street | 2017 & 2018 MECA Modex California State Champion
Sonic Electronix Discount Code: hutsell
rton20s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2019   #21

Enthusiast

What if the port stuck out of the top of the box like a periscope?? Lmao

No, seriously, I am thinking the port can sorta rise out of the box (see crude drawing) and it could be polished aluminum.

Last edited by DavidRam; 06-21-2019 at 02:02 PM..
Old 06-21-2019   #22

Enthusiast

Quote:
I dig the darker wood with the thin inlay.

Are you planning any LEDs?

What about a "waterfall" effect with colored epoxy?
Definitely doing some lighting... I often use color, but on this one I am thinking of bright white LEDs (5,000k+) to shimmer on the subs basket, acrylic and aluminum details... But those thoughts could change anytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rton20s View Post
I'm in to see where this goes. And gijoe's post #3 could have come out of my mouth, word for word.

If you are interested in acrylic, check out Bobby Gately. He does some really amazing enclosures using acrylic. I got to see/hold one in person at the SPL comp in Fresno and it was pretty incredible.
I just checked his work out! Very nice! I might get in touch with him and ask for some advise...

Old 06-21-2019   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
What if the port stuck out of the top of the box like a periscope?? Lmao

No, seriously, I am thinking the port can sorta rise out of the box (see crude drawing) and it could be polished aluminum.

I think this could be pretty cool, I like it.
Old 06-21-2019   #24

Enthusiast

Quote:
I think this could be pretty cool, I like it.
Yep, me too

Old 06-21-2019   #25

Enthusiast

I have never built a ported box before, does anyone mind helping out with size and port tuning??

Sub specs: http://mercurycaraudio.jp/wp-content...R-8010Spec.png

Sponsored Links
Advertisement