2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 628 BigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond repute

Default 2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

After a long wait, and a lot of grief from my friends, I've finally started on my build. Here's the patient...a 2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71 quad-cab. If I had kids, I probably would have opted for the crew cab, but I prefer to have a longer bed. With the bed extender, I can carry a full-sized sheet of plywood laying flat in the bed.

BigAl205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigAl205 For This Useful Post:
bertholomey (4 Days Ago), chithead (1 Week Ago), Coppertone (1 Week Ago)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 628 BigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: 2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Here's the HU that I'm installing:

I had a helluva time getting everything soldered, because my tip was burn up to the point that I couldn't even tin it.

I didn't have another one on-hand, so I had to order a replacement...and here it is
The Following User Says Thank You to BigAl205 For This Useful Post:
chithead (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

Diyma Ninja

The DMH-C5500NEX has an 8" capacitive touch screen, and Metra just released a dash kit specifically for it. It's one of the best looking kits I've ever seen:

As you might have noticed, this unit has a separate screen that connects to the hidden radio box via a data cable. This means I didn't have to hack up the dash to get a double-din to fit.

I did have to take apart half the dash to run wires, though. Here's the pigtail that plugs into the steering wheel clockspring harness

Everything is controlled via a iDataLink Maestro RR

Here she is all buttoned up and playing

More to come...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigAl205 For This Useful Post:
chithead (1 Week Ago), DavidRam (1 Week Ago), naiku (1 Week Ago)

Old 1 Week Ago   #4

Rep Power: 94 ToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enough

Interesting
ToNasty is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

Bikinpunk

Thanked 1,342 Times in 612 Posts
Rep Power: 26021 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

It begins!

Woot!

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to ErinH For This Useful Post:
BigAl205 (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 92 DavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enough

Bout time... Lol! J/k

That dash kit looks super clean and stock!

2018 Jeep GC - AF GB10s, GB25s, GS690s, Zapco & Mosconi amps, (2) AF GB12s, Helix Pro MK2 & Director, Fiio X5
My wife was furious when she overheard me say I want to do a 3 way in my Jeep
DavidRam is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to DavidRam For This Useful Post:
BigAl205 (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 184 chithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of light

chithead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chithead For This Useful Post:
bertholomey (4 Days Ago), BigAl205 (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

Rep Power: 12 saltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enough

Love the CAJ sticker! I need me one of those. I wonder who could hook ole’ salty up? Ha!

saltyone is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #9

Diyma Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyone View Post
Love the CAJ sticker! I need me one of those. I wonder who could hook ole’ salty up? Ha!
Just shoot me a PM
Old 1 Week Ago   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 86 Silver-n-black will become famous soon enoughSilver-n-black will become famous soon enoughSilver-n-black will become famous soon enoughSilver-n-black will become famous soon enoughSilver-n-black will become famous soon enoughSilver-n-black will become famous soon enough

Nice work, seem like you are going a different route.
Silver-n-black is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 93 ribrown will become famous soon enoughribrown will become famous soon enoughribrown will become famous soon enoughribrown will become famous soon enoughribrown will become famous soon enoughribrown will become famous soon enough

What else are you planning to install in that truck?

Very interested
ribrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #12

Rep Power: 10 ajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enough

Wow the Metra dash kit an Pio HU look great! Really interested to get your feedback on that solution with the Maestro kit. Any chance you can retain/use some of the factory USB ports?
ajt976 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #13

Diyma Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribrown View Post
What else are you planning to install in that truck?

Very interested
Seeing as how I don't really know for sure, it's hard to answer that question. I have several options available right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajt976 View Post
Wow the Metra dash kit an Pio HU look great! Really interested to get your feedback on that solution with the Maestro kit. Any chance you can retain/use some of the factory USB ports?
I've got a couple of wrinkles I need to iron out...backup camera not working, screen keeps reverting to a previous screen, etc. I'm thinking it's something wonky in the Maestro, I'm going to investigate further tonight. One of the big disappointments with this radio (besides a lack of wireless CarPlay) is that it only has one USB port. I've got a mountable extension, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to do a custom center console, so it will go there.
Coppertone (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 162 Coppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome to the wonderful world of trucking.

(2.5GT) Limited Legacy / Pioneer 4800BS /Audison APK-165
Turbocharged / 6 speed / awd/ goodness ( For SALE )

(2018) Accord 2.0T Touring (10speed) turbocharged
Coppertone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Coppertone For This Useful Post:
BigAl205 (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #15

Diyma Ninja

Long time, no see, my friend! I hope life is treating you well
Old 1 Week Ago   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 162 Coppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of light

Lol life is treating me like it owns me, oh wait it does lol.

(2.5GT) Limited Legacy / Pioneer 4800BS /Audison APK-165
Turbocharged / 6 speed / awd/ goodness ( For SALE )

(2018) Accord 2.0T Touring (10speed) turbocharged
Coppertone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #17

Rep Power: 0 gfjardim will become famous soon enoughgfjardim will become famous soon enoughgfjardim will become famous soon enoughgfjardim will become famous soon enoughgfjardim will become famous soon enoughgfjardim will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
One of the big disappointments with this radio (besides a lack of wireless CarPlay) is that it only has one USB port. I've got a mountable extension, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to do a custom center console, so it will go there.
Most head units let you install a USB hub on them, may worth testing it.

PS. Just searched here and apparently Pioneer doesn't allow USB hubs on their units. It's a shame.
gfjardim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to gfjardim For This Useful Post:
BigAl205 (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 109 Golden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enough

Nice truck! I have an ‘18 Z71 myself. I left the factory hu and used a Nav-TV. That pioneer and dash kit look great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Golden Ear is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 69 Truthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enough

Scribed for this... been waiting years
Truthunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #20

Diyma Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthunter View Post
Truthunter (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 305 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthunter View Post
Oh Ryan that's a low blow

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...Dayton HO12d4...MAKE DIYMA GREAT AGAIN!
Hillbilly SQ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillbilly SQ For This Useful Post:
Coppertone (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #22

Diyma Ninja

I was having issues with the system...backup camera wasn't switching on in reverse, and the system would periodically flake out to where it would automatically revert to the phone screen. I could press another button, it would change for a split second, then go back to phone. It seemed to work fine when I started up the system, but hitting the turn signal the first time would cause it to spaz out.

I fixed the backup camera issue...I'm slightly colorblind, especially between blue and purple, so I had the blue/white wire from the Maestro hooked up to the purple/white of the radio harness, and vice-versa. It's working fine now.

I pulled the Maestro, re-flashed it, and it seemed to be doing okay until I tried adjusting time alignment while sitting at a drive-thru. It didn't change screens on me, but I lost most (but not all) steering wheel controls. I pulled into a parking spot, rebooted everything, and it worked fine all the way to work. As long as it doesn't flake on my while driving, I can deal with not making adjustments without restarting. I'm going to try a few more troubleshooting ideas before I start a thread on the Maestro's forum.
Old 1 Week Ago   #23

Rep Power: 94 ToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
I was having issues with the system...backup camera wasn't switching on in reverse, and the system would periodically flake out to where it would automatically revert to the phone screen. I could press another button, it would change for a split second, then go back to phone. It seemed to work fine when I started up the system, but hitting the turn signal the first time would cause it to spaz out.

I fixed the backup camera issue...I'm slightly colorblind, especially between blue and purple, so I had the blue/white wire from the Maestro hooked up to the purple/white of the radio harness, and vice-versa. It's working fine now.

I pulled the Maestro, re-flashed it, and it seemed to be doing okay until I tried adjusting time alignment while sitting at a drive-thru. It didn't change screens on me, but I lost most (but not all) steering wheel controls. I pulled into a parking spot, rebooted everything, and it worked fine all the way to work. As long as it doesn't flake on my while driving, I can deal with not making adjustments without restarting. I'm going to try a few more troubleshooting ideas before I start a thread on the Maestro's forum.
This is one of the reasons I didnt want to do the aftermarket headunit. The best way if you want to keep radio and xm perfect is to just use the jl fix 86.
ToNasty is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #24

Diyma Ninja

Well, truth be told, CarPlay would sometimes mess up with the factory radio, also. If I left the phone in the truck while getting out to run a few errands, it would eventually freeze up the radio control.
Old 1 Week Ago   #25

Rep Power: 25 Stycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enough

I use the 7 inch version of this radio in my car. The signal it puts out is very strong and clean. Everything else about the radio is below average. Very slow interface and only one USB with no support for USB hub. I am very happy with the sound quality however. I love that Metra faceplate. It looks like it belongs in your truck. I used the NAV-TV in my Silverado. The signal is as clean as any aftermarket radio with no hic-ups. I was able to retain all 5 USB ports.

Chevy Sonic: Pioneer DMH-C2550NEX, JL VX 800/8i, VX 1000/1i,Morel CCWR254 AF GB60, SS D3004, SS 12" 30w/4558T. Chevy Silverado: Factory HU, NAV-TV GM-650, JL TWK, NVX JAD 800.4, NVX JAD 1200.1, Audiofrog GS690, Morel 2.5, SS R2004, DA HO 12"(2)
Stycker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement