BMW trunk side enclosure JL 10W3v3-4 by LBaudio - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2019   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 308 LBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Default BMW trunk side enclosure JL 10W3v3-4 by LBaudio

I started with fabrication of sealed SW enclosure for JL audio W3 v3 driver which will be mounted in the left side of the trunk of BMW F30. Enclosure will be built to JL audio specs for this driver which is 19-20 Litre sealed. Back side of the enclosure will be made out of fiber-glass, baffle will be made out of plywood.....now onto pics

The driver - JL 10W3v3-4

car's side was protected with painters tape and Alu tape over it, waxed with Rexco demoulding wax

car was also protected

first layers of Fiberglass were layed down

4-layers total,....left it a couple of hours to cure and then removed it with a bit of brute force, lol

Then I made a quick volume test....20 litre+

and a few pics of the mold

I made a cardboard template for baffle

This is where Im at the moment with this build.....more pics tomorrow

For Fast Moving Concerts
Team LB audio
Team Hybrid Audio
Team BRAX
Team SCB
LBaudio is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LBaudio For This Useful Post:
cadaver (2 Weeks Ago), chithead (09-16-2019), Chris12 (3 Weeks Ago), jimmydee (09-16-2019), tonynca (4 Weeks Ago)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2019   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 120 EmptyKim will become famous soon enoughEmptyKim will become famous soon enoughEmptyKim will become famous soon enoughEmptyKim will become famous soon enoughEmptyKim will become famous soon enoughEmptyKim will become famous soon enough

Default Re: BMW trunk side enclosure JL 10W3v3-4 by LBaudio

Looks great!
EmptyKim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2019   #3

Rep Power: 81 jimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enough

Nice work so far.

I did the same thing for my F36 (440i), except on the passenger side.
Worked out well for me, except I came up a bit short on the overall enclosure volume.

Sub'd to see the end result.

https://i.imgur.com/6f2B75s.jpg
jimmydee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 308 LBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond repute

That is the reason I went with left side enclosure,.... it measures 20 litre + atm, but I still have to beef up enclosure walls to 0,3-0,4", put one small brace and add damping mats to prevent enclosure ringing.
The shape will be more or less plain....the customer wish is only a simple enclosure, but Im already thinking how to make it a bit more appealing to the eye...maybe some beauty "ring" arround the enclosure perimeter and some relief lettering - JL logo,.....

For Fast Moving Concerts
Team LB audio
Team Hybrid Audio
Team BRAX
Team SCB
The Following User Says Thank You to LBaudio For This Useful Post:
Coppertone (09-16-2019)
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

enclosure walls were beefed up and a layer of gel coat applied to the inside of the "mold".
plywood speaker baffle for driver was made and fit tested. Enclosure will also receive a layer of Silent Coat damping mats. ...so a few pics:

cardboare template

Test baffle - it fits so-so good, I will need to make small corrections , but nothing major

For Fast Moving Concerts
Team LB audio
Team Hybrid Audio
Team BRAX
Team SCB
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6

Rep Power: 0 MajorNoob will become famous soon enoughMajorNoob will become famous soon enoughMajorNoob will become famous soon enoughMajorNoob will become famous soon enoughMajorNoob will become famous soon enoughMajorNoob will become famous soon enough

Hi, how do you plan to secure the baffle to the fiberglass enclosure? Will you use some kind of glue or stretch cloth over the assembly then resing then mat etc.?
Thanks for sharing!
MajorNoob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

first, baffle will be soaked with resin, then I will apply filler with strands on the "mold" edge where baffle should sit and it will be pressed down, all excess filler will be removed and then fiberglassed from the inside of enclosure. It will be a bit complicated to apply fiberglas trough the speaker opening on the baffle.

For Fast Moving Concerts
Team LB audio
Team Hybrid Audio
Team BRAX
Team SCB
MajorNoob (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 115 kanadian-kaos will become famous soon enoughkanadian-kaos will become famous soon enoughkanadian-kaos will become famous soon enoughkanadian-kaos will become famous soon enoughkanadian-kaos will become famous soon enoughkanadian-kaos will become famous soon enough

Nice work! It looks like you got some good volume out of that!

I have made four fiberglass enclosures for myself, a spare tire well and three side enclosures pretty much the same as yours (I even used the tape tinfoil method). The side enclosures are definitely more work!

I wouldn't worry about a brace, the curves of the fiberglass are super strong and your baffle isn't that big.

I also always did a layer of fiberglass around the inside seam of the MDF baffle.... which is a PITA but ensures a perfect seal.

2016 Ford F150 Supercrew Sport: Soundstream Ref 5.1000 (Front High +sub) - Soundstream RN4.1400D(Rear and MB) - DSP 408 - Audio Control DQXS - JL 12TW3 - Image dynamics XS28 + X69, Scanspeak 10f, CTX65 (rear).
kanadian-kaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 141 SUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enough

I like how the fiberglass pulled away from the aluminum tape so cleanly. No stuck-on portions of painters tape. Was it difficult to get the fiberglass to stick to the portions where it would be hanging upside down? I find trying to get fiberglass mat to stick to vertical or upside down surfaces particularly difficult until it dries.
SUX 2BU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #10

Rep Power: 81 jimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enough

Anxious to see the progress and end result... it's got me thinking about re-doing my sub enclosure.

https://i.imgur.com/6f2B75s.jpg
jimmydee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

@Kanadian-Kaos: - The plan is to fiberglass that baffle from behind, I know it will be PITA, but that is the way to get things done as they should be - no shorting corners here. The other and easier way to do this is to "GLUE" baffle to the rest of enclosure with special Glue/resin/filler material that is used in boat industry for glueing boat parts together (boat body/deck).... the bond is airtight and extremely strong, but unfortunately I run out of it and wont buy the whole can just for this tiny box to be sealed, it i just too expensive.

@SUX 2BU: - First I tape off everything with painters tape, and over it a layer of Aluminium tape. Then I apply Formula5 de-moulding WAX which works very good. After it dries I apply a "layer" of resin and I let it to get "jelly" and then I apply few layers (up to 4, max 5) of mat/rowing (150-200g) and soak it gently with resin, but only so much it get soaked well without any resin excess. I apply fiberglass mat to the portions where it would be layed upside down first and then I apply mat to the horizontal walls (aka back wall and part of the fascia - those two will also help to hold up side layed mat in place. The mold before I pull it out is approx 2-4 mm thick, and later I beef it up to appropriate thickness.

For Fast Moving Concerts
Team LB audio
Team Hybrid Audio
Team BRAX
Team SCB
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 141 SUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enoughSUX 2BU will become famous soon enough

Good info, thanks for that. I think I soak the mat too much with resin at first and then it gets heavy and wants to fall off.
SUX 2BU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Gravity is a bitch

For Fast Moving Concerts
Team LB audio
Team Hybrid Audio
Team BRAX
Team SCB
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Default Re: BMW F30 trunk side enclosure JL 10W3v3-4 by LBaudio

Made a new baffle that fits a bit tighter to the mold

speaker ring design

back side - edge was chamfered

speaker ring glued to the baffle and soaked with polyester resin

T nuts installed and glued in place with superglue

Test fit - driver to baffle, baffle to mold

Damping on back wall - later all sides will be damped with Silent Coat damping mats

ring and baffle protected with alu tape

test fit in a car

baffle on some parts glued to the mold with filler with strands

seams between mold and baffle were taped of to prevent resin to drip on front side - fiberglass was added from inside of enclosure to make strong bond and good seal

I put a small mirror in the box so I could see what Im doing...

this is where im at at the moment. Today I must finish with fiberglassing baffle to the mold from the inside of the enclosure....will post pics as I progress

For Fast Moving Concerts
Team LB audio
Team Hybrid Audio
Team BRAX
Team SCB

Last edited by LBaudio; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:38 AM..
cadaver (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #15

Rep Power: 6 DaveG will become famous soon enoughDaveG will become famous soon enoughDaveG will become famous soon enoughDaveG will become famous soon enoughDaveG will become famous soon enoughDaveG will become famous soon enough

The quality of your work is impeccable! Thank you for sharing!
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #16

Rep Power: 12 ajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enough

Agreed, really enjoying all the pictures and description of the progress, thank you!

Is there an advantage going to MDF for the speaker ring versus sticking with the ply that you used for the baffle itself? Was just curious if that was by design or just what happened to be available for material in that size for the day.
ajt976 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Thank you all for nice comments!

@ ajt976 - I had both materials avaliable, but somehow I prefer to work with MDF, especially when using T-nuts.

If you would go split hairs this might be beneficial because each material have its own res. freq, but on such small baffle such this it sure doesnt matter.

For Fast Moving Concerts
Team LB audio
Team Hybrid Audio
Team BRAX
Team SCB
ajt976 (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #18

Rep Power: 0 DrDizzle will become famous soon enoughDrDizzle will become famous soon enoughDrDizzle will become famous soon enoughDrDizzle will become famous soon enoughDrDizzle will become famous soon enoughDrDizzle will become famous soon enough

Looks Awesome !!
DrDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #19

Rep Power: 52 ejeffrey will become famous soon enoughejeffrey will become famous soon enoughejeffrey will become famous soon enoughejeffrey will become famous soon enoughejeffrey will become famous soon enoughejeffrey will become famous soon enough

I'm in the middle of doing the same thing to my E90 335i. I found out that it's harder than it looks ... you've done a really good job!
ejeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejeffrey View Post
I'm in the middle of doing the same thing to my E90 335i. I found out that it's harder than it looks ... you've done a really good job!
it helps to have all planed out and of course - practice makes perfect. Just take your time and have fun!

For Fast Moving Concerts
Team LB audio
Team Hybrid Audio
Team BRAX
Team SCB
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

ended with fiberglassing for this project - baffle was fiberglassed all arround to the mold from the inside of the box. I scuffed mat, mixed it with resin and apply from behind....was a bit of messy project, but it is done. Today I will sand everything down and wrap in black 4D vinyl.

For Fast Moving Concerts
Team LB audio
Team Hybrid Audio
Team BRAX
Team SCB
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

heres a few pics of yesterdays progress

Enclosure walls were completely dampened with Silent coat damping plates, all enclosure edges were cleaned and a few small imperfections were smoothed out with filler.
after that enclosure was wrapped in black 4D stretch vinyl....

Damping inside of enclosure

enclosure edges cleaned up

wrapped in vinyl

finished

For Fast Moving Concerts
Team LB audio
Team Hybrid Audio
Team BRAX
Team SCB
cadaver (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #23

Rep Power: 6 DaveG will become famous soon enoughDaveG will become famous soon enoughDaveG will become famous soon enoughDaveG will become famous soon enoughDaveG will become famous soon enoughDaveG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBaudio View Post
heres a few pics of yesterdays progress

Enclosure walls were completely dampened with Silent coat damping plates, all enclosure edges were cleaned and a few small imperfections were smoothed out with filler.
after that enclosure was wrapped in black 4D stretch vinyl....

finished
As usual - PERFECT! Where do you get the vinyl? I googled 4d stretch vinyl and vinyl wrap is what came up. Is that vinyl easy to work with? Thanks
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

@ DaveG - I buy vinyl in local car audio store, this material is widely used among car audio installers in Eu. It is very stretchy in both directions and it is very simple to pull out complexs shapes, especially if you apply heat to it.

You can also try this - take a piece of standard vinyl, wipe back side with accetone and pull backing off of the vinyl. now it will be super stretchy, but be carefull not to demage surface pattern.

For Fast Moving Concerts
Team LB audio
Team Hybrid Audio
Team BRAX
Team SCB
DaveG (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #25

Rep Power: 12 ajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enough

Yea dude, that thing is wicked awesome. I guess glassing the baffle from the inside helps keep that outside line so sharp?

Would love to attempt something like this in a future car, well, let's be honest it'd be multiple "attempts" I'm sure.

Thanks for sharing!
ajt976 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement