2013 Mercedes C250 - Audiofrog, Helix, Zapco, ResoNix - VIDEO Build Log - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,861 Times in 1,283 Posts
Rep Power: 458 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Default 2013 Mercedes C250 - Audiofrog, Helix, Zapco, ResoNix - VIDEO Build Log

Hello everyone! I'm proud to announce our first video build log after not posting any build logs for a while. Unfortunately, since this is the first one I wasn't very good at getting video at all times and doing it right, but it will improve over time. any suggestions on what you want to see in future videos are welcome.

Josh, the owner of the car, sought us out via Facebook months ago asking for a quality recommendation on a local shop to him for his Jeep Wrangler. Unfortunately, social media allows for a lot of smoke and mirrors and they didn't do as great of a job as we both anticipated. Fast forward 8+ months(?) after our initial contact and he ships the Jeep to me, only to change his mind and have it switched out for the 2013 Mercedes C250 instead. I'm glad he did because this turned out to be an awesome platform and the end result was great if I don't say so myself.

The equipment started out with Kenwoods new top of the line model, the DNX996XR. This proved to be a great source unit that is loaded with modern features while also having sound quality good enough for even the most demanding audiophiles. We measured no clipping at max volume out of its 5v low-level outputs with a 0db sine wave, so that was nice. From there we went to a Helix DSP.3 with the Director for processing and system control. A Zapco Z150.6AP powered the Audiofrog GB60's, GB25's, and GB10's while a Zapco Z3KD powered a pair of Audiofrog GB12's, each in a 1.1 cubic foot enclosure in the spare tire well. The GB60's were installed in the OEM location down low in the door, which was treated heavily with ResoNix Sound Solutions, while the GB25 and GB10 were mounted in a vertical arrangement in a custom sail panel.

Pictures of the install to come soon.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
SkizeR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SkizeR For This Useful Post:
Blu (3 Weeks Ago), DaveG (3 Weeks Ago)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2

Rep Power: 13 saltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enough

Outstanding build! Not a bad video either. “Playing with your d*ck”...LOL. Video is not rated for “general audiences”. Great job Nick...hell of an install. You guys do amazing work!

saltyone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to saltyone For This Useful Post:
SkizeR (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 184 strong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enoughstrong*I*bumpin will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2013 Mercedes C250 - Audiofrog, Helix, Zapco, ResoNix - VIDEO Build Log

Simply amazing,I think the customer made the right choice with the MB.

Ď19 Subaru ďBig AĒ Ascent
Wife - ďPlease leave the stereo alone!Ē
strong*I*bumpin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to strong*I*bumpin For This Useful Post:
SkizeR (3 Weeks Ago)

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 129 tonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2013 Mercedes C250 - Audiofrog, Helix, Zapco, ResoNix - VIDEO Build Log

All the details of the trunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clarion NX807, Audison Bit One HD, Audison Voce 5.1k HD, Audison Voce Quattro HD, Focal Utopia M 3-way (TBM, 3.5WM, 6WM), Dynaudio Esotar 1200
tonynca is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to tonynca For This Useful Post:
SkizeR (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 97 Jscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura about

You're so young 0_o
Jscoyne2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Rep Power: 458 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscoyne2 View Post
You're so young 0_o

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7

Rep Power: 12 thedynoguy will become famous soon enoughthedynoguy will become famous soon enoughthedynoguy will become famous soon enoughthedynoguy will become famous soon enoughthedynoguy will become famous soon enoughthedynoguy will become famous soon enough

this is just crazy! I'll give you a call early in the week, Nick.

2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat with the HK audio system upgraded with: Pac AmpPRO, Focal Utopia Be tweeters, Morel Elate Titanium 602 woofers (2) JL 12W3-V3's, Helix DSP.3 with Director, Mosconi AS200.4 and AS100.4
thedynoguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to thedynoguy For This Useful Post:
SkizeR (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 193 miniSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the rough

Excellent video..love the rawness of it, very informative. I wish he had let you paint the amp and add a gold center plate, would have been good for my OCD

Did you show the engine bay and fuse holder? I have to watch it again to see what i missed.

2018 Crosstrek
P SIX DSP MK2 GB10 GB25 Gs690 GB10d4x2 Z-2KD II
miniSQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 97 Jscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura about

If you intend to make alot of these/tutorials. May i suggest not swearing as much? It doesn't bother me at all, just professionalism.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Jscoyne2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jscoyne2 For This Useful Post:
Coppertone (3 Weeks Ago), DaveG (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #10

Rep Power: 12 thedynoguy will become famous soon enoughthedynoguy will become famous soon enoughthedynoguy will become famous soon enoughthedynoguy will become famous soon enoughthedynoguy will become famous soon enoughthedynoguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
If you intend to make alot of these/tutorials. May i suggest not swearing as much? It doesn't bother me at all, just professionalism.

the professionalism is obviously in the finished product. I could care less about the language (within reason). The results in this build speak for themselves...

2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat with the HK audio system upgraded with: Pac AmpPRO, Focal Utopia Be tweeters, Morel Elate Titanium 602 woofers (2) JL 12W3-V3's, Helix DSP.3 with Director, Mosconi AS200.4 and AS100.4
thedynoguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #11

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniSQ View Post
Excellent video..love the rawness of it, very informative. I wish he had let you paint the amp and add a gold center plate, would have been good for my OCD

Did you show the engine bay and fuse holder? I have to watch it again to see what i missed.
Ah shit.. I didnt show that. Kevin actually made a sweet aluminum bracket that mounts to OEM bolts right next to the battery. And I actually told kevin that after everything was said and done, i like the silver of the bottom amp. It matches everything else. It's the copper that dieant match

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #12

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:

This video is me censoring myself lol. But I get it. I want it to be genuine. Not some typical vlogger style commentary. I also noticed when making these that when I try to predetermine what to say and to make it seem professional, I sound forced and unnatural. Trust me, you dont want to see videos of that lol

The Following User Says Thank You to SkizeR For This Useful Post:
DaveG (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #13

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniSQ View Post
I was wondering if you could have made a copper plate on your laser engraver.

PS... sweet Harbor Freight tool boxes, i just picked up two for my garage and one for may basement.
So the laser is a C02 laser and unfortunately does not cut metal. The metal that was marked in the video is a metal with a special coating that leaves a mark when you engrave it. And the tool boxes... the day you see me spend more than 3k for a toolbox (3x more than I paid for the red one), slap me. I cant get over how silly paying 10k for a toolbox is unless your tools weigh a metric ton and need super heavy duty drawer slides

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #14
Blu
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 138 Blu will become famous soon enoughBlu will become famous soon enoughBlu will become famous soon enoughBlu will become famous soon enoughBlu will become famous soon enoughBlu will become famous soon enough

Beautiful build!!!

Really enjoyed the video as well.

Would like to understand more on the choice of wood structure vs. fibreglass for the tub of the wheel well sub enclosure. I plan on doing same in my RAV4 and would be interested in knowing what the determining factors in material choice were.

I too wish that the owner had let you cosmetically match the amps... I know that sonically it makes zero difference, but with so much attention to detail and craftsmanship in this install, (IMO) the amp mismatch really stands out; unfortunately, not in a good way.

"Car audio is all about compromise. There's no single best way to do anything. Optimization in the face of several variables ... often conflicting ... means compromise. The educated are better positioned to sort through the compromises than the opinionated." - werewolf
Blu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #15

Rep Power: 90 WhereAmEye? will become famous soon enoughWhereAmEye? will become famous soon enoughWhereAmEye? will become famous soon enoughWhereAmEye? will become famous soon enoughWhereAmEye? will become famous soon enoughWhereAmEye? will become famous soon enoughWhereAmEye? will become famous soon enough

Did the mismatched amps give you the idea of transitioning the wood in between the amps? Because I think that piece covering the amps is my favorite part lol. Looks sick dude.

2017 Civic Hatch
Dayton dsp, AV 5.1k, SI RM12, Stevens SA-6s
WhereAmEye? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to WhereAmEye? For This Useful Post:
SkizeR (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #16

Bikinpunk

Thanked 1,517 Times in 665 Posts
Rep Power: 26023 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

Default 2013 Mercedes C250 - Audiofrog, Helix, Zapco, ResoNix - VIDEO Build Log

Good stuff here.

You asked for feedback. So hereís mine:

1) Language. I get we all curse. But I quit watching soundman vids because of his excessive language. Also, you may have an interested customer who is turned off by it (or he shows his wife and sheís not too hot about it).

2) No more filming toward the light or close the bay door so your work doesnít get washed out. I kept waiting for the money shot of the sail panels but itís hard to see the craftsmanship when the sunlight is washing it out. This is what Iím talking about:

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ErinH For This Useful Post:
DaveG (3 Weeks Ago), SkizeR (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #17
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 121 mumbles will become famous soon enoughmumbles will become famous soon enoughmumbles will become famous soon enoughmumbles will become famous soon enoughmumbles will become famous soon enoughmumbles will become famous soon enough

Absolutely beautiful work Nick, thanks for sharing!

All the world's a stage...
mumbles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to mumbles For This Useful Post:
SkizeR (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #18

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

as far as the different colored amps, it actually looked much better when the whole trunk was done vs when there were no finished panels. Im glad we put the black amp up top becuase when you open the trunk and stand and look at it without bending down, you only see the lower black portion. Its definitely bearable. Also, when you try to color match stuff, and its not EXACT, its even worse than having 2 totally different colors. im happy with it
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 177 JayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
So the laser is a C02 laser and unfortunately does not cut metal. The metal that was marked in the video is a metal with a special coating that leaves a mark when you engrave it. And the tool boxes... the day you see me spend more than 3k for a toolbox (3x more than I paid for the red one), slap me. I cant get over how silly paying 10k for a toolbox is unless your tools weigh a metric ton and need super heavy duty drawer slides

But I can park a dump truck on my SnapOn box. Well, I could if I had a dump truck. lol

Also, if you've met Nick in person, he does swear a bit. But I don't think most installers/car audio pros even notice. lol

Maybe bleep it for general audiences?

Jay

JayinMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 177 JayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinH View Post
Good stuff here.

You asked for feedback. So hereís mine:

1) Language. I get we all curse. But I quit watching soundman vids because of his excessive language. Also, you may have an interested customer who is turned off by it (or he shows his wife and sheís not too hot about it).

I could see this costing you a few customers as well, but I also understand about how you come across when you try to script it. That's why I ended up winging my Top 50 video.

2) No more filming toward the light or close the bay door so your work doesnít get washed out. I kept waiting for the money shot of the sail panels but itís hard to see the craftsmanship when the sunlight is washing it out. This is what Iím talking about:

I quit watching Soundman videos because he's an idiot, and I don't care about Rafa's mom. lol

Jay

JayinMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to JayinMI For This Useful Post:
ShastaMcNasty (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #21

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
But I can park a dump truck on my SnapOn box. Well, I could if I had a dump truck. lol

Also, if you've met Nick in person, he does swear a bit. But I don't think most installers/car audio pros even notice. lol

Maybe bleep it for general audiences?

Jay
I did cut out a few in there lol. If you listen around the part where I say the sem paint clogged up (hey, just what you messaged me a out this am lol) you can hear the audio get weird. That would be me covering up me saying "fuckin piece of shit paint" under my breath lol. Also, yes. These guys have clearly never been in a bay haha

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #22

Rep Power: 83 JCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enough

The skills and talent you and Kevin possess are beyond incredible. You guys appear to whip this stuff up like itís just another day at work. Wish I had the talent you guys have.

I would agree on the swearing part too. You want to appeal to as many potential high end customers as possible and the cursing only makes any potential customers who may not know you second guess your professionalism. Glad to see you keep the shop and the car clean and you spend the money on good equipment. Thatís a big deal in my book.

The mismatched amps in my own pathetic simple build are driving me nuts too, lol.

Also, use a can of brake clean to clean out those clogged pain can tips. Works great for me. I just swap the paint can tips onto the brake clean spray can and flush it out.

Sienna SB29 Focal PS165V Alpine SWS10 Mazda CX5 AF GB15 AF GB60 AF GB12 Ford F150 AF GB10 JLC5 Sundown SD310.
JCsAudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #23

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCsAudio View Post
The skills and talent you and Kevin possess are beyond incredible. You guys appear to whip this stuff up like itís just another day at work. Wish I had the talent you guys have.
Thank you. And kevin does indeed whip this stuff up like its just another day at work. Me, i usually break stuff and take forever and get mad that it takes me forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCsAudio View Post
Also, use a can of brake clean to clean out those clogged pain can tips. Works great for me. I just swap the paint can tips onto the brake clean spray can and flush it out.
the caps arent clogged. The stems are down inside of the can. this is from the texture coat getting bunched up at the bottom and any little bit that gets sucked up that straw gets stuck and the can is toast.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 129 tonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enough

Thanks to you, I stored mine upside down so this doesn't happen.

Clarion NX807, Audison Bit One HD, Audison Voce 5.1k HD, Audison Voce Quattro HD, Focal Utopia M 3-way (TBM, 3.5WM, 6WM), Dynaudio Esotar 1200
tonynca is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #25

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynca View Post
Thanks to you, I stored mine upside down so this doesn't happen.

plot twist, so were these two lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement