New kicks - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2007   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 174 bdubs767 will become famous soon enoughbdubs767 will become famous soon enoughbdubs767 will become famous soon enoughbdubs767 will become famous soon enoughbdubs767 will become famous soon enoughbdubs767 will become famous soon enough

Default New kicks

tell me what you think... I have how to write that Ill post if you guys want.

bdubs767 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2007   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 173 Pseudonym will become famous soon enoughPseudonym will become famous soon enoughPseudonym will become famous soon enoughPseudonym will become famous soon enoughPseudonym will become famous soon enoughPseudonym will become famous soon enough

Default Re: New kicks

do the write-up.
Pseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2007   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 180 ocuriel will become famous soon enoughocuriel will become famous soon enoughocuriel will become famous soon enoughocuriel will become famous soon enoughocuriel will become famous soon enoughocuriel will become famous soon enough

Very nice. They flow pretty well.
ocuriel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007   #4
jay
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 176 jay will become famous soon enoughjay will become famous soon enoughjay will become famous soon enoughjay will become famous soon enoughjay will become famous soon enoughjay will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to jay

how's the tonality, staging, imaging, etc.?
jay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2007   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 184 alphakenny1 will become famous soon enoughalphakenny1 will become famous soon enoughalphakenny1 will become famous soon enoughalphakenny1 will become famous soon enoughalphakenny1 will become famous soon enoughalphakenny1 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to alphakenny1

looks great man!

HU/Processing: W200/H701
Drivers: IDQ12D2v3/Dyn MW160/Lotus RM110/Seas neo Alum
Amps: Alpine PDX 4.150/4.150
alphakenny1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2007   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 174 vwtoby will become famous soon enoughvwtoby will become famous soon enoughvwtoby will become famous soon enoughvwtoby will become famous soon enoughvwtoby will become famous soon enoughvwtoby will become famous soon enough

is SEM texture paint?
vwtoby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2007   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 182 HondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to HondAudio

Hey! I just saw these a minute ago on a different forum! Lookin' good.
HondAudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2007   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 194 Mless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enough

Where do their paths cross?
Mless5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2007   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 174 bdubs767 will become famous soon enoughbdubs767 will become famous soon enoughbdubs767 will become famous soon enoughbdubs767 will become famous soon enoughbdubs767 will become famous soon enoughbdubs767 will become famous soon enough

about the middle of the car...have yet to try them as my amps are out being upgraded
Old 01-16-2007   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 160 Amish will become famous soon enoughAmish will become famous soon enoughAmish will become famous soon enoughAmish will become famous soon enoughAmish will become famous soon enoughAmish will become famous soon enough

Vacuum those floors!

They look great - did you paint the lower halves of the doors while you were at it? Appears to match really well. Anything going in the doors? Third pic down looks like it's showing a nice big hole waiting to be filled! Hmm, that didn't sound good
Amish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2007   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish
Vacuum those floors!

They look great - did you paint the lower halves of the doors while you were at it? Appears to match really well. Anything going in the doors? Third pic down looks like it's showing a nice big hole waiting to be filled! Hmm, that didn't sound good

going to be re done to fit a JL 8ib4
Old 01-16-2007   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwtoby
is SEM texture paint?
aerosol from HD
Old 01-16-2007   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym
do the write-up.
here it is....( I got some shit from a fiberglass forum for this how to but o well here it is as IMO I dont think its bad I can post the link kinda funny..) Id actually like to know if you guys found this how to helpful

This is a step-by-step tutorial showing you how to create your own custom kick panels. I know there is a lot of other people on here who can do a much better job then me so please add what ever advice you can.

Items needed:
Painter’s tape
Tin foil
Plastic sheets
Fleece
OPTIONAL: fiberglass mat
Fiberglass
Paintbrushes
Heat gun (if in cold weather)
Disposable plastic cups
Drummel tool
Popsicle sticks (anything like it)
Glue gun
OPTIONAL: Grinder
Sander
Sand paper
Bondo
Plastic disposable gloves

1.) Building a Base

Tape off this entire area w/ painters tape, then lay down another layer of tin foil and tape it down around it’s edges. Now put down and tape off plastic sheets everywhere else on the floor to ensure no fiberglass will get on your carpet. Then place your stock kick panel back into location. Make sure the stock kick panel is prepped for fiberglass by drilling tiny holes and roughing it up w/ a low grit sand paper; this allows for the fiber glass to hold to the plastic kick. So it should look like...

now lay down a piece of cloth, preferably fiberglass mat or fleece.

Now mix up about a 16 oz cup worth of fiberglass and paint it over the entire area. When applying the glass there are many techniques to do but I prefer to usually dab the glass on until it covers the entire area, then paint the rest of the glass on to the area.

To get glass to cure it has to be in a warm area so if you are in cold conditions like I was use a heating gun to warm the glass up enough to get it to cure.

Now take your cured base and cut off the extra base w/ a drummel tool.

2.) Angling your baffle and attacking it
Now take your baffle that you've made before this for your speakers and start seeing how you would like it placed on your base. Once you've decided how you want it placed take pieces of wood, metal strips, Popsicle sticks, anything of the nature really. Use them to hold your baffle in place w/ hot glue attacking them to the base and baffle like so...

Now this is optional at this point, you can place a towel around them and try them out at this point, to see if you like the angle. The try again and again until you find the optimal way you prefer them angled.

TIP: angling them the "shoot" at your CD player is usually a good starting point.

Before you go finish though make sure the speakers will fit...

Now see where i drew that line, this is the time when you want to cut away the extra of the base that is not needed.

3.) Stretching the fleece

Place your creation over a medium thickness fleece and cut out a piece of fleece that will allow you to cover the entire kick.

Now take your hot glue gun and stretch the fleece around the front of the base and baffle

You don’t want any creases or folds as once then are glassed they will be much harder to get rid of.

Now mix up your glass and glass them

If you are in cold weather this may be helpful for curing them(dont leave the heat gun in there for over a min tho just trying to heat up the area a little bit. If you leave it on i guess it could be a fire issue)

A box w/ a whole in it to stick the heating gun in; just places your kicks in there and they'll cure in no time.

Now take your grinder or drummel and cut away the fleece part where your speakers are going to be placed.

Also give them a test fit in the car just to make sure they fit.

Now mix up another cup of glass and give the outside, inside, and baffles another coat to ensure there are no leaks in the kicks.

After this take your drummel or grinder and get rid of any big blemishes on the kicks.

The final part to it is to BONDO and SAND. May take up to 3 times of laying bondo.

After sanding them they will like this...

At this point your basically done, besides one-step the finish which is up to you…

You can do anything from textured paint, carpet wrap, vynil wrap, suede ect… I post pics once I decide what to do.

Another thing KEEP trying

Look at my first attempt this then a year ago L
pic 1
pic 2

the next
pic 1
pic 2

the 3rd try
pic 1

and 4th
pic 1
pic 2

Last edited by bdubs767; 01-16-2007 at 08:40 PM..
Old 01-16-2007   #14

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 0 demon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to demon2091tb Send a message via Yahoo to demon2091tb

Thats definently Word! right there, i like your progression over time, and definently tured out very nice.

When i eventually redo my kicks and switch out a midrange, i'll be doing it that way myself. With the recessed front, and slip in gril.

BTW in your other tries is that the usher dome midrange, or another?
demon2091tb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2007   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon2091tb
Thats definently Word! right there, i like your progression over time, and definently tured out very nice.

When i eventually redo my kicks and switch out a midrange, i'll be doing it that way myself. With the recessed front, and slip in gril.

BTW in your other tries is that the usher dome midrange, or another?

dyn 140
Old 01-16-2007   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 195 bobditts will become famous soon enoughbobditts will become famous soon enoughbobditts will become famous soon enoughbobditts will become famous soon enoughbobditts will become famous soon enoughbobditts will become famous soon enough

hey bdubs, did you know your write up is featured as a "ghetto kick install" on fiberglass forums? just thought you might be interested.

bobditts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2007   #17

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 0 demon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to demon2091tb Send a message via Yahoo to demon2091tb

How is it considered Ghetto?

I dunno about but as long as a item or thing comes out like you wanted and looking professional, then the route to the end-means shouldn't matter. I guess were all ghetto around here lol.
demon2091tb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2007   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 162 evan will become famous soon enoughevan will become famous soon enoughevan will become famous soon enoughevan will become famous soon enoughevan will become famous soon enoughevan will become famous soon enough

Way to persevere! I doubt I would have had the motivation to make a third, let alone fourth or fifth try!

-Evan
evan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2007   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobditts
hey bdubs, did you know your write up is featured as a "ghetto kick install" on fiberglass forums? just thought you might be interested.
I know...only thing I didnt do "right" is not use a router and fiber glass matt.

http://www.fiberglassforums.com/showthread.php?t=1439
Old 01-16-2007   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 165 slow2.2sonoma will become famous soon enoughslow2.2sonoma will become famous soon enoughslow2.2sonoma will become famous soon enoughslow2.2sonoma will become famous soon enoughslow2.2sonoma will become famous soon enoughslow2.2sonoma will become famous soon enough

i like those kicks and the fiberglass forum can screw it self even though he did eventually appolagize. I have a 12M/4631G sitting right behind me waiting for a partner and new home in my truck , I def think you did a great job and I liked the pics of your first kick. It reminded me of my first kicks lol. Ever scene a 7" driver in a noob kick? Ill give you pics, but i warn you its terrible...

-----------------------------------------------
Eclipse 8445

Arc Audio 2050XXK
Cadence Z8000
Hifonics ZX7500
Rockford Fosgate 1001BD

CDt DRt-26A tweetrs
4.5" Scan Speak Revelators
CDt ES-07's
2 12" RF Punch Hx2's

def need a 4 way active processor/crossover
-------------------------------------------------
slow2.2sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2007   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 176 khail19 will become famous soon enoughkhail19 will become famous soon enoughkhail19 will become famous soon enoughkhail19 will become famous soon enoughkhail19 will become famous soon enoughkhail19 will become famous soon enough

I like how one of the guys ripping on you thought you should ditch the Scans for a "higher range speaker." And the same genius thought your tweeter was another mid. What an intelligent guy.

I think the kicks look great, and on something that small I don't see why just having resined fleece isn't strong enough. Sure it would be stronger if you had used some mat, but I doubt you'd notice the difference acoustically.

Alpine 7998*Phass MW160*Clarion APA4320*Peerless 2"*Seas Neo*Next VRz4.400*OZ ME12*PG x400.1

Premier 860MP*PG Zeropoint ZCS6*Pioneer SW-2541D*Sony ES XM-5046
khail19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2007   #22
Upgrade Your Membership!

The Anti-Rice

Rep Power: 186 unpredictableacts will become famous soon enoughunpredictableacts will become famous soon enoughunpredictableacts will become famous soon enoughunpredictableacts will become famous soon enoughunpredictableacts will become famous soon enoughunpredictableacts will become famous soon enough

I love the kicks the only part of the build that I question and think to be a little dangerous is the home made bomb.......or when you made the cardboard enclosure to bake your kicks with the heat gun.......those fumes are flamable and that heat gun is a good source of "flame".
unpredictableacts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2007   #23

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 188 zfactor is on a distinguished roadzfactor is on a distinguished roadzfactor is on a distinguished roadzfactor is on a distinguished roadzfactor is on a distinguished road

i stopped going there due to the fact most of them are either idiots or they have no idea what sq is... dont get me wrong some great info there but it seems like another caraudio.com type site

saw this and had to put it here:
you cant polish a turd, but you can always chrome it! -Nasser Abo Abdo, president of audiobahn

--with enough hot glue you can install anything"
zfactor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2007   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpredictableacts
I love the kicks the only part of the build that I question and think to be a little dangerous is the home made bomb.......or when you made the cardboard enclosure to bake your kicks with the heat gun.......those fumes are flamable and that heat gun is a good source of "flame".

LOL...if you only stick the heat gun in there for a minute you'll be fine but maybe people are right now that I think of it some dumbass will put the gun in there and leave it for hrs...
Old 01-17-2007   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by khail19
I like how one of the guys ripping on you thought you should ditch the Scans for a "higher range speaker." And the same genius thought your tweeter was another mid. What an intelligent guy.

I think the kicks look great, and on something that small I don't see why just having resined fleece isn't strong enough. Sure it would be stronger if you had used some mat, but I doubt you'd notice the difference acoustically.

that did give me a good laugh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement