First (and only so far) HAT install in Greece - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2010   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 144 n_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enough

Default First (and only so far) HAT install in Greece

The car

In stock form

And the work so far.

Nick
oısɹǝʌǝɹ :ɐʇɐqoɹd snʇɹıʌ
Now stripped out
n_olympios is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2010   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 177 IBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really nice

Default Re: First (and only so far) HAT install in Greece

suscribed

IBcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 119 .BNO. will become famous soon enough.BNO. will become famous soon enough.BNO. will become famous soon enough.BNO. will become famous soon enough.BNO. will become famous soon enough.BNO. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitaF View Post
suscribed
me too!

nice work so far!

is that skoda?
.BNO. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 144 n_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enough

Thanks! No, it's a SEAT, also a member of the VAG group but comes from Spain.

There will be more pics later tonight or during the weekend.

Nick
Now stripped out
Old 05-28-2010   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 119 .BNO. will become famous soon enough.BNO. will become famous soon enough.BNO. will become famous soon enough.BNO. will become famous soon enough.BNO. will become famous soon enough.BNO. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_olympios View Post
Thanks! No, it's a SEAT, also a member of the VAG group but comes from Spain.

There will be more pics later tonight or during the weekend.
ah i get the 2 confused, plus ive had a few drinks and im half cut lol

this build has me quite interested! car looks sweet too!
.BNO. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Ok, seeing as I've got absolutely no intention of doing any real work today, let's get on with the install presentation.

The first thing we did was strip the door for sound deadening. Here's the car's biggest drawback (not my pics):

There is no inner metal skin, and the window mechanism is attached to the plastic door card. Which means that the deadening procedure will be less than perfect. So, we did our best on the outer metal skin.

That's 3 to 4 layers of 2mm stuff. Later there will be a video showing the acoustic difference before and after.

Nick
Now stripped out
Old 05-28-2010   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Then came the turn of the door card.

Here you can see that the new panel comes out a bit in relation to the door card, that was on purpose to give a bit more clearance for the midbass unit.

Nick
Now stripped out
Old 05-28-2010   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 171 vwtoby will become famous soon enoughvwtoby will become famous soon enoughvwtoby will become famous soon enoughvwtoby will become famous soon enoughvwtoby will become famous soon enoughvwtoby will become famous soon enough

dont you get a lot of vibrations from the mid mounted to the door like that?
nice work though
vwtoby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 118 pankrok will become famous soon enoughpankrok will become famous soon enoughpankrok will become famous soon enoughpankrok will become famous soon enoughpankrok will become famous soon enoughpankrok will become famous soon enough

that a very long time mate!
(maybe not as long as my stuff remained outside car (yet))

its going to be a great install. wait to see what will sit in the trunk.

however you ll never have my mighty midbass!!

pankrok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 135 eggyhustles will become famous soon enougheggyhustles will become famous soon enougheggyhustles will become famous soon enougheggyhustles will become famous soon enougheggyhustles will become famous soon enougheggyhustles will become famous soon enough

Looks good.

02 TL-S Pioneer z130bt, Audison Bit.1, B&C 10NDL64, Audax PR170M0, B&C DE500 horns/modded ID full horn bodies, 3 JL audio hd 600/4's, 18" aa smd, Sundown Audio 4500d.
eggyhustles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 147 Austin has a spectacular aura aboutAustin has a spectacular aura aboutAustin has a spectacular aura aboutAustin has a spectacular aura aboutAustin has a spectacular aura aboutAustin has a spectacular aura aboutAustin has a spectacular aura aboutAustin has a spectacular aura aboutAustin has a spectacular aura aboutAustin has a spectacular aura about

subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm View Post
I had my 6-channel amp's opamp and power supply upgraded to better quality parts / grades. The SQ turned out fantastic after some burn-in. Resolution was greatly improved with excellent transparency
Austin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2010   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwtoby View Post
dont you get a lot of vibrations from the mid mounted to the door like that?
nice work though
Thanks. Hopefully not too much, although it is indeed my biggest concern over the whole install. Cutting metal (installing them in the kick panels for example) was out of the question (the car is leased lol), so if we're not satisfied with it as it is, other measures will have to be taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankrok View Post
however you ll never have my mighty midbass!!
Eat my processor's dust (internal joke).

Nick
Now stripped out
Old 05-30-2010   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Very small photo update. I had taken pics of the cable braiding process but strangely they've vanished from my digicam.

Anyway, here's the passenger's door, half-deadened, waiting for another layer or 2.

Here's the midbass cable going to the door, covered with grey techflex as with all speaker cabling in the car.

Using the stock door connector to run the cable through would be difficult. Not impossible, but damn hard. It's a thick cable.

This has been used on the inner surface of the door card, wherever possible.

And here's a photo of the door panel with the grille on. The grille itself will be painted again and the badge will be replaced with a more... suitable one.

Nick
Now stripped out
Old 05-30-2010   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 118 pankrok will become famous soon enoughpankrok will become famous soon enoughpankrok will become famous soon enoughpankrok will become famous soon enoughpankrok will become famous soon enoughpankrok will become famous soon enough

Tell andreas that he has another 5kg to use in ANOTHER car

Old 06-01-2010   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 152 pika_ will become famous soon enoughpika_ will become famous soon enoughpika_ will become famous soon enoughpika_ will become famous soon enoughpika_ will become famous soon enoughpika_ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thanks. Hopefully not too much, although it is indeed my biggest concern over the whole install. Cutting metal (installing them in the kick panels for example) was out of the question (the car is leased lol), so if we're not satisfied with it as it is, other measures will have to be taken.

Eat my processor's dust (internal joke).
Hi Nick!

I'm glad to see that your installation finally began!
Also, i see that you have done your doors like i did! That's pretty good, looks awesome! But the problem is that you will get a lot of vibrations like that.
The problem is really the alternatives that you have with this specific doors, not a lot of them i'm afraid..

BTW: I've upgraded to 3 way! The midrange is exacly on the same spot that you are going to put yours!

Cheers mate
pika_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2010   #16

Rep Power: 161 cheesehead will become famous soon enoughcheesehead will become famous soon enoughcheesehead will become famous soon enoughcheesehead will become famous soon enoughcheesehead will become famous soon enoughcheesehead will become famous soon enough

Quote:
(the car is leased lol),
And your modding the door panels and sound deadening? Won't this affect trade in?

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence. -Vince Lombardi
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2010   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Hi there Joao. See, I did start eventually!

Yeah, I know about the vibrations, if they become too much of a problem I'll have to find alternative ways of reinforcing the doors. You need to send me pictures of your own Leon, mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
And your modding the door panels and sound deadening? Won't this affect trade in?
Well under normal circumstances it would, but I won't be trading her in, instead she'll stay with me (until I decide to sell her).

Nick
Now stripped out
Old 06-02-2010   #18

Rep Power: 161 cheesehead will become famous soon enoughcheesehead will become famous soon enoughcheesehead will become famous soon enoughcheesehead will become famous soon enoughcheesehead will become famous soon enoughcheesehead will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Well under normal circumstances it would, but I won't be trading her in, instead she'll stay with me (until I decide to sell her).
Nice install!

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence. -Vince Lombardi
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2010   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Thanks, it's still got a long way to go.

Nick
Now stripped out
Old 06-05-2010   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 152 pika_ will become famous soon enoughpika_ will become famous soon enoughpika_ will become famous soon enoughpika_ will become famous soon enoughpika_ will become famous soon enoughpika_ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Hi there Joao. See, I did start eventually!

Yeah, I know about the vibrations, if they become too much of a problem I'll have to find alternative ways of reinforcing the doors. You need to send me pictures of your own Leon, mate.

PM
pika_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2010   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

Right, here's a small update (more than a month after the last one).

These are some of the wires that have to go through to the back. Luckily no multiple runs of RCA's, just an optical link, but the AI-Net cables aren't very slim either.

About 20 minutes later they were "techflexed" (along with a couple of other wires for remote etc).

Here's the bundle of cabling in the boot (the grey techflex contains speaker cables).

And here's a preview of the mid and tweeter rings. The angle shown here is not the final one.

The sides of the dash under the A pillars will be left open so the L4's can "breath" into the dash itself.

Nick
Now stripped out
Old 07-05-2010   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Audio Electronics
Position:
Installer

Rep Power: 127 audio+civic will become famous soon enoughaudio+civic will become famous soon enoughaudio+civic will become famous soon enoughaudio+civic will become famous soon enoughaudio+civic will become famous soon enoughaudio+civic will become famous soon enough

subscribed

Country music sucks.
audio+civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2010   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

I found the pics that were missing, so here's my braiding work:

Power cable (Alfatec 1/0AWG)

Speaker cable (Cordial multicore)

Here you see where the speaker cable goes through the metal and into the door (through a rubber grommet).

BTW, the pieces of cloth tape you see sticking out have been trimmed. It's much cleaner-looking now, but most of it will be heat-shrunk at some point to be safe(r). I just have to remember to slide the heatshrink in before I close the cables under the plastics.

Nick
Now stripped out
Old 07-07-2010   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

Remember this?

Well forget it. Here's the A-pillars as they stand now. They'll remain unfinished for a while, next in line is the boot build.

Obviously they do stand out a bit, but not that much in real life. The pics were taken with the camera at a smaller distance than where your head is (normally, unless you drive glued to the steering wheel ).

Yes, the car is very dirty.

What do you guys think? Questions/proposals/opinions welcome.

Nick
Now stripped out
Old 07-07-2010   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

wow!
you reached the pillar stage 6 months earlier than me!!!!
that quite a progress!
they do not stand out
this who speakers should be mounted on pillars. (yeah right its HOW not who)
if you want to hide them send them to kicks or stay with oem

Sponsored Links
Advertisement