Wtb Zapco Z150.6 LX amp - Page 3 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2017   #51

Rep Power: 56 sq2k1 will become famous soon enoughsq2k1 will become famous soon enoughsq2k1 will become famous soon enoughsq2k1 will become famous soon enoughsq2k1 will become famous soon enoughsq2k1 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Wtb Zapco Z150.6 LX amp

Well I can say I enjoy how my amp sounds and it appears to be one of the "V2" as it was labeled earlier. I do agree with four-eights about the principle of the matter concerning no notification of the internals to the buyers of said amps. Some people bought them based on the information that was given prior to the remods which for some reason were never addressed and now you see the outcome of this lack of communication.
sq2k1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2017   #52

Rep Power: 82 jimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enough

Well, this thread has certainly taken a left-turn...

I own two of these amplifiers (Z150.6LX). One of my amps is mounted in my vehicle (has been for the past year). The second one is sitting brand new in its box, in my basement. Eventually, I was hoping to build a 12 channel 'monster system' using both amps... but I doubt I'll ever get around to doing that.

Got-Four-Eights' comments had obviously caught my attention... so, last night I pulled the amp out of my vehicle, as well as the new amp in my basement, and opened them both up.

Nothing exciting to report... they both appear to be 'as advertised'. With that said; they both have 2014 Serial Numbers, so I assume they were built before these new changes.

I can't comment on anything that Got-Four-Eights has reported, as I've never experienced it myself. The amps that I own are amazing. Built like tanks, and they sound absolutely incredible.

Here are some snapshots of the guts of my amps. The build quality is excellent, and the parts are exactly as they are advertised. I'd be VERY interested to see a snapshot of the inside of Got-Four-Eights' amplifier, to compare the differences.

jimmydee is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to jimmydee For This Useful Post:
rton20s (05-27-2017)
Old 05-27-2017   #53
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 109 Got-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enough

Removed

Sony RSX-GS9 w/USB MOD / Helix Pro MKii / Director
(2) Mosconi Pro 5/30
Audio Development W800neo, Scanspeak 12m
Micro Precision Z series tweeters.
Illusion Carbon C12XL TEAM AUDIONUTZ!

Last edited by Got-Four-Eights; 05-29-2017 at 11:27 AM..
Got-Four-Eights is offline   Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017   #54
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 109 Got-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enough

Removed

(2) Mosconi Pro 5/30

Last edited by Got-Four-Eights; 05-29-2017 at 11:27 AM..
Old 05-27-2017   #55

Rep Power: 82 jimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got-Four-Eights View Post
Personally I wanted what you have and would have been excited to have it.
I have a spare one... if you want to buy it.
As mentioned above, I'm not actively looking to sell it, because I still hold onto the dream of building my 13 channel monster system...
But I also need to face reality. It's never going to happen.
Brand new, still in the box.
Serial number: 00090.
It's the exact unit in the above pictures.
I've taken it out of the box twice: Once when I first got it, to test it with power. And the second time last night, to take the above pictures

The one mounted in my vehicle is Serial # 00084.
Both have 2014 production dates.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jimmydee For This Useful Post:
MrGreen83 (05-27-2017), papasin (05-27-2017), TomT (05-27-2017)
Old 05-27-2017   #56

Rep Power: 64 dsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydee View Post
Well, this thread has certainly taken a left-turn...

I own two of these amplifiers (Z150.6LX). One of my amps is mounted in my vehicle (has been for the past year). The second one is sitting brand new in its box, in my basement. Eventually, I was hoping to build a 12 channel 'monster system' using both amps... but I doubt I'll ever get around to doing that.

Got-Four-Eights' comments had obviously caught my attention... so, last night I pulled the amp out of my vehicle, as well as the new amp in my basement, and opened them both up.

Nothing exciting to report... they both appear to be 'as advertised'. With that said; they both have 2014 Serial Numbers, so I assume they were built before these new changes.

I can't comment on anything that Got-Four-Eights has reported, as I've never experienced it myself. The amps that I own are amazing. Built like tanks, and they sound absolutely incredible.

Here are some snapshots of the guts of my amps. The build quality is excellent, and the parts are exactly as they are advertised. I'd be VERY interested to see a snapshot of the inside of Got-Four-Eights' amplifier, to compare the differences.

Can you please send a close-up pic of the RCAs and the gain knobs? Since, apparently, yours is a V1 series LX amp I would like to see what they look like. If I can get one of the V1 series amps from my dealer, I will probably get one right away and put it on the credit card. If I can't get a V1 series, I will probably wait until I have enough funds to acquire it (or some other amp) outright with cash.
dsw1204 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2017   #57
DIYMA 500 Club

Removed

(2) Mosconi Pro 5/30

Last edited by Got-Four-Eights; 05-29-2017 at 11:28 AM..
Old 05-27-2017   #58
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 164 Porsche has a brilliant futurePorsche has a brilliant futurePorsche has a brilliant futurePorsche has a brilliant futurePorsche has a brilliant futurePorsche has a brilliant futurePorsche has a brilliant futurePorsche has a brilliant futurePorsche has a brilliant futurePorsche has a brilliant futurePorsche has a brilliant future

i don't get why you guys are freaking out about the caps being changed. the man that runs zapco said they preferred x brand of caps and planning to make a V2 amp. maybe what he got was a first run before the announcement etc. i dunno but without listening to the amp etc u guys are overreacting. some of you make it sound like zapco being sneaky and selling a $1500 amp that has the guts of a power akoustik amp.

these caps cost typically a buck to 10 bucks each on line so i wouldn't sweat it

as far as the amp being slapped together like he claims thats not acceptable but we will never know atleast regarding this particular amp, no pic

2016 Ford Explorer Platinum (black), 2015 GT3 (black metalllic), 2015 991 Turbo S (agate grey), 2015, 1996 993TT (guards red), 1989 Defender 90 (bronze), 1970 Challenger (B5 blue), 1968 912 (slate grey), 1967 Vette Stingray (elkhart blue), 1966 Fastback (gloss black)
Porsche is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2017   #59

Rep Power: 64 dsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
i don't get why you guys are freaking out about the caps being changed. the man that runs zapco said they preferred x brand of caps and planning to make a V2 amp. maybe what he got was a first run before the announcement etc. i dunno but without listening to the amp etc u guys are overreacting. some of you make it sound like zapco being sneaky and selling a $1500 amp that has the guts of a power akoustik amp.

these caps cost typically a buck to 10 bucks each on line so i wouldn't sweat it

as far as the amp being slapped together like he claims thats not acceptable but we will never know atleast regarding this particular amp, no pic

You can go ahead and get the new "V2" series, but for me in my experience, manufacturers don't upgrade present models to improve the product. They do it to improve their profit.

I am going to do my best to see if I can get a V1 series LX amp.
dsw1204 is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to dsw1204 For This Useful Post:
captainobvious (05-28-2017)
Old 05-27-2017   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsw1204 View Post
Can you please send a close-up pic of the RCAs and the gain knobs? Since, apparently, yours is a V1 series LX amp I would like to see what they look like. If I can get one of the V1 series amps from my dealer, I will probably get one right away and put it on the credit card. If I can't get a V1 series, I will probably wait until I have enough funds to acquire it (or some other amp) outright with cash.
???
I won't keep taking a brand new amplifier apart, just to snap more pictures.
I'm not sure how 'close up' you want... but the pictures I posted give a pretty good visual of the RCAs and Gain Knobs.

Old 05-27-2017   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsw1204 View Post
manufacturers don't upgrade present models to improve the product. They do it to improve their profit.
I can't fathom why Zapco would decide to change the components.
Especially, on their 'flagship' model.

It's not like the newer parts are substantially less expensive than the old ones (as someone mentioned, a capacitor ranges from 1 dollar for a cheap one, to 10 dollars for a top quality Nichicon one...).

RCAs and gain pots are pennies a piece... whether they are gold colored, or plastic, or metal.

None of the V2 improvements seem to make any sense, from a product improvement or sound quality perspective. As it appears, this V2 change seems to have been for the worse.

The only thing I can think of, is that Zapco has some kind of distribution issue or a legal branding issue with Nichicon (being that Nichicon won't allow Zapco to use/advertise their brand in a Zapco amp). of course, I'm just guessing... but nothing else makes sense.

Old 05-27-2017   #62
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 164 Porsche has a brilliant futurePorsche has a brilliant futurePorsche has a brilliant futurePorsche has a brilliant futurePorsche has a brilliant futurePorsche has a brilliant futurePorsche has a brilliant futurePorsche has a brilliant futurePorsche has a brilliant futurePorsche has a brilliant futurePorsche has a brilliant future

maybe they cant get that cap anymore in quantity, could be an issue with distribution with the manufacturer, who knows but i doubt very seriously that the V2 is worse than the V1

2016 Ford Explorer Platinum (black), 2015 GT3 (black metalllic), 2015 991 Turbo S (agate grey), 2015, 1996 993TT (guards red), 1989 Defender 90 (bronze), 1970 Challenger (B5 blue), 1968 912 (slate grey), 1967 Vette Stingray (elkhart blue), 1966 Fastback (gloss black)
Old 05-27-2017   #63
DIYMA 500 Club

caps are cheap, i just recapped 3 SS MC300 amps that are 20-25 years old. if my memory is right there was 6 signal caps and 8 power caps or vice versa. it cost me $97 bucks shipped to my door for all Nichicon Gold caps just so you have a ref.

Old 05-27-2017   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got-Four-Eights View Post
Wish mine was just an issue of function. It probably functions fine. I would not even bother to hook it up.
Got-Four-Eights... I understand that your (returned) amp had build quality issues, but I am wondering about the actual parts inside. Did the unit you recieved have Nichicon capacitors? Or were they replaced with some cheaper brand?

Nichicon is considered to be 'top of the line', as far as Japanese made parts go, which is the whole reason Zapco chose them for their flagship amplifiers... to the point that they advertised using them in their amps.

It would be very disappointing, if they swapped them out for a cheaper brand. It's not like the Nichicon caps are impossible to get (Mouser and Digi-Key show having 1000+ in stock, at less than 10 bucks a piece for the big 4700uF ones).

I have nothing to gain/lose on this, as my amps are unaffected, but I am very interested to find out what Zapco's reasoning is. Subscribed until we get to the bottom of this...

Old 05-27-2017   #65

Rep Power: 56 sq2k1 will become famous soon enoughsq2k1 will become famous soon enoughsq2k1 will become famous soon enoughsq2k1 will become famous soon enoughsq2k1 will become famous soon enoughsq2k1 will become famous soon enough

Well I can fulfill the role of providing photos of a "V2" amp... and people can compare to your photos you posted Jimmydee of a "V1". My amp is 519. I can tell from looking at the comparisons that there are some glaring differences. Now whether one is better than the other, I am not sure....but still seems damn weird to me. Maybe this will provide some help into the situation.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sq2k1 For This Useful Post:
jimmydee (05-27-2017), rton20s (05-27-2017)
Old 05-27-2017   #66

Interesting... they are difintely not using Nichison caps any longer. Looks like they have replaced Nichison KS caps with: Elna Silmic II caps.

I can't comment on Zapco's reasoning for changing the capacitors... but I wouldn't be overly concerned about it. The Elna caps are also very good quality (I'd say they are just as good as the original Nichisons), they're just not as recognized of an audiophile brand name as Nichison.

I also wouldn't be too concerned about the RCAs or the gain pots... they appear to be good quality (or at least as good as the V1)

I would say that the build quality still appears to be top notch. As long as it sounds good, then this whole thing may be a moot point.

Old 05-27-2017   #67
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydee View Post
Interesting... they are difintely not using Nichison caps any longer. Looks like they have replaced Nichison KS caps with: Elna Silmic II caps.

I can't comment on Zapco's reasoning for changing the capacitors... but I wouldn't be overly concerned about it. The Elna caps are also very good quality (I'd say they are just as good as the original Nichisons), they're just not as recognized of an audiophile brand name as Nichison.

I also wouldn't be too concerned about the RCAs or the gain pots... they appear to be good quality (or at least as good as the V1)

I would say that the build quality still appears to be top notch. As long as it sounds good, then this whole thing may be a moot point.
Ina makes a very nice cap, i pretty much agree with u. like i said earlier, a lot of overreacting until you actually install and listen to it

Old 05-27-2017   #68

Well as I said earlier.... I enjoy the way my amp sounds and it is working perfectly fine. Just thought I would contribute to the conversation via supplying the pics for further discussion and better clarification. Still would be a good move for someone to state revisions were made so people would not get pissed over expecting the original internals versus the new.
Old 05-27-2017   #69
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Zapco
Position:
Director Sales/Marketing

Rep Power: 140 ACJohn will become famous soon enoughACJohn will become famous soon enoughACJohn will become famous soon enoughACJohn will become famous soon enoughACJohn will become famous soon enoughACJohn will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Skype™ to ACJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tRidiot View Post
Using a Z150.6 (non-LX) and Zx6.5kd in my current install - love them. Of course, getting Zapco to respond to a service request on my DC amps has been... less than successful, shall we say?

<edit> Update - just checked my junk mail and they replied to yesterday's request for repair - to say they cannot help me. Referred me to TIPS or to Roman. Have to think about that one...
Don't know what DC you have or what the problem is but anything out of warranty, I'd talk to Roman. He has all the schematics. I don't know TIPS
ACJohn is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2017   #70

Comparing the V1 and V2, I doubt there is any sonic difference whatsoever between the two...

With that said; as I compare the pictures, it has become apparent that the circuit board was designed to accomodate Nichison capacitors (which tend to be a bit larger in physical size). The Nichison caps sit flush and straight on the PC board. Whereas the Elna caps are slightly smaller in size, and therefore they don't sit flush on the board (they are raised a bit off the board because the leads don't line-up with the PCB holes.).

I doubt this would affect the quality in any way... I just doesn't look as tidy as the original design. I suspect the combination of green colored (non Nichison) caps, and the way the new Elna caps are mounted (not flush), is what startled Got-Four-Eights... enough to make him return the amp.

If you look on the Zapco site, they no longer advertise that the LX amps use Nichison capacitors. In fact, they don't advertise any brand... I suppose they are just leaving it open, in case they want to change brands again.

Old 05-27-2017   #71

Sorry... I keep typing Nichicon wrong.

Old 05-27-2017   #72
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Zapco
Position:
Director Sales/Marketing

Rep Power: 140 ACJohn will become famous soon enoughACJohn will become famous soon enoughACJohn will become famous soon enoughACJohn will become famous soon enoughACJohn will become famous soon enoughACJohn will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Skype™ to ACJohn

If you've come this far you've seen what I wrote yesterday about the new caps. And the caps are not the only change. One of the other changes was to replace some of the MICA caps with a new polypro cap because, when we did have problems, it was the mica caps that were going out. There are a number of other small changes. As far as the hardware goes, we're having out own connectors made with better plating. The pots are strictly marketing. We've been using plastic pots for years but some markets think they're junk if they're not metal. The actual pots are the same. This was all planned to be part of the changes for the next LX series.

Someone earlier said that companies don't change products to make them better, they only change them to make more profit. As far as we are concerned that's utter nonsense. Our goal is to make the best sounding amplifier...period.

As I have said before we want to make every run of amps better than the last. We started with the new Z in 2011 and it sounded great. We changed op-amps and caps and some other things in late 2012, and we changed again in 2114 with the LE/LX. At that time we got complaints on the forum for changing because it made the old amps less valuable, and we only changed to make people buy new amps. How the hell are you going to get better without change?

YES, we should have made announcements first, and they did change the web site info yesterday. Even worse for me, is that nobody told me they were making the change early. Nonetheless, they needed to make a new run, so they made the changes they could make without major board or chassis changes.

If the new amps sound better, we've done our job. If there's no audible change, we've wasted our time, and if they don't sound as good, we've made a serious error. But so far I think our record is pretty good. Please listen to the new amps, before you make assumptions
ACJohn is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to ACJohn For This Useful Post:
captainobvious (05-28-2017), jbeez (05-13-2018)
Old 05-27-2017   #73
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACJohn View Post
If you've come this far you've seen what I wrote yesterday about the new caps. And the caps are not the only change. One of the other changes was to replace some of the MICA caps with a new polypro cap because, when we did have problems, it was the mica caps that were going out. There are a number of other small changes. As far as the hardware goes, we're having out own connectors made with better plating. The pots are strictly marketing. We've been using plastic pots for years but some markets think they're junk if they're not metal. The actual pots are the same. This was all planned to be part of the changes for the next LX series.

Someone earlier said that companies don't change products to make them better, they only change them to make more profit. As far as we are concerned that's utter nonsense. Our goal is to make the best sounding amplifier...period.

As I have said before we want to make every run of amps better than the last. We started with the new Z in 2011 and it sounded great. We changed op-amps and caps and some other things in late 2012, and we changed again in 2114 with the LE/LX. At that time we got complaints on the forum for changing because it made the old amps less valuable, and we only changed to make people buy new amps. How the hell are you going to get better without change?

YES, we should have made announcements first, and they did change the web site info yesterday. Even worse for me, is that nobody told me they were making the change early. Nonetheless, they needed to make a new run, so they made the changes they could make without major board or chassis changes.

If the new amps sound better, we've done our job. If there's no audible change, we've wasted our time, and if they don't sound as good, we've made a serious error. But so far I think our record is pretty good. Please listen to the new amps, before you make assumptions
bravo and well said. i recently had 2 of the z150.4lx amps installed in my 911 TTS and they work and sound wonderful, more than happy. I am about to use the z150.6lx and z150.2lx in my Macan Turbo, Steve is starting next weekend on it.

Have the changes been made in all the amps or certain models

thanks

Old 05-27-2017   #74
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 139 el_bob-o will become famous soon enoughel_bob-o will become famous soon enoughel_bob-o will become famous soon enoughel_bob-o will become famous soon enoughel_bob-o will become famous soon enoughel_bob-o will become famous soon enough

If nothing else hopefully this will serve to improve Zapco's communication in the future.
el_bob-o is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2017   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_bob-o View Post
If nothing else hopefully this will serve to improve Zapco's communication in the future.
Don't count on it...

I've supported Zapco for 20+ years, because their top of the line amps are some of the best available, at any price point.

However, their customer service and communication is some of the worst I've ever experienced. It takes days (sometimes weeks) to get a response from Zapco, if you have an issue. Often, it requires multiple calls / emails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACJohn View Post
YES, we should have made announcements first, and they did change the web site info yesterday. Even worse for me, is that nobody told me they were making the change early.
No disrespect to ACJohn... but his post is exactly what I am referring to. I mean really, what company releases a major change to their flagship product line, and doesn't even tell their Director of Sales and Marketing!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread