Paypal Gift - Should you do it? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2018   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

This place

Rep Power: 40148 schmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond repute

Exclamation Paypal Gift - Should you do it?

Just a reminder to think about it before sending payment as gift. or

Also, if you want to discuss it here for the benefit of others.
schmiddr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2018   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 68 bnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Paypal Gift - Should you do it?

Low risk, lower-priced items where i trust the seller, sure.. I've used it before and received it many times.

Anything over a few hundred dollars, no f'in way.

End of the day, its not THAT much money to pay the damn fees. I'm pretty surprised when i get paid via gift tbh..

2012 Subaru Impreza Sedan. Pioneer P880prs, Helix Dsp.2, JL 12w6v2 sealed, Arc KS1000.1, Modified Arc KS900.6, FI N.7 midbass, Illusion Audio C3cx. Ipod Classic - apple lossless. Just keep tryin' to get a little better.
bnae38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to bnae38 For This Useful Post:
Hammer68 (02-26-2019)
Old 11-21-2018   #3

Rep Power: 78 SQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enough

I have no issue and have in the past send payment as a gift to members on here that post often and name that I recognized. I will also ship items I sell and wait for payments after the item is received to said members as well. Then again, I don't buy or sell high-end gears (opinion) most of my purchases are around $300. I think the members on here are unlike any on the other forums I'm on. Outside of this forum, I will not send payment as a gift.
SQLnovice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 113 seafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura about

In answer to the OP question, I suggest only using PayPal gift for payment only if you are willing to give your money away without getting anything in return, which is the definition of gift.

Just my .02

"THE BASS OF THE PEOPLE IS THE GOD OF GOD"

Last edited by seafish; 11-21-2018 at 11:28 AM..
seafish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2018   #5

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 630 BigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANT View Post
Do not ask that a buyer sends paypal payment as a gift. This is a against the Paypal TOS and we will not tolerate this type of abuse.
Putting the rules aside for a minute, I think a seller should price his items to suit his needs...including PayPal fees. If you settle upon a price and the seller asks that you send it as a gift, I would tell him that he should have thought of that before accepting the price. And I don't care what a person's iTrader feedback looks like, or if he's a friend...$h1t happens. Even a good seller could send something out thinking it works perfectly, or thinks that it's in better shape than the buyer thinks it should be. Once the buyer gets it and finds out it's not what he expected, he's left holding the bag.
BigAl205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2018   #6

Bikinpunk

Thanked 1,510 Times in 663 Posts
Rep Power: 26023 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

I only send PP gift to legitimate friends.

I don't demand that someone pay me in that fashion. However, I do pass along that savings to buyers by offering them the option if they want to go that route and save a few bucks.

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2018   #7
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 98 nadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enough

If they ask for a gift payment, I send it through as a standard payment but upped to cover fees.

Itís easy to find the fee formula.

nadams5755 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2018   #8

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 630 BigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadams5755 View Post
If they ask for a gift payment, I send it through as a standard payment but upped to cover fees.

Itís easy to find the fee formula.
I've done that quite a few times. If they balk at the idea, it sends a red flag that something isn't right.
BigAl205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigAl205 For This Useful Post:
m3gunner (12-05-2018), SkizeR (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018   #9

Rep Power: 28 mark3004 will become famous soon enoughmark3004 will become famous soon enoughmark3004 will become famous soon enoughmark3004 will become famous soon enoughmark3004 will become famous soon enoughmark3004 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinH View Post
I only send PP gift to legitimate friends.

I don't demand that someone pay me in that fashion. However, I do pass along that savings to buyers by offering them the option if they want to go that route and save a few bucks.
Totally agree!!
Asking as gift only allow to save $3 each $100, it means $15 on $500... do it worth? Absolutely not for me.
mark3004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2018   #10
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 35 GreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enough

Only PP gift to people you legitimately know well enough that you'd pay them cash in person to receive something later.

Otherwise always PP G&S.

2017 Chevy Bolt EV - Work in Progress: Scanspeak D3004/6040-10 Beryllium tweeters, Scanspeak 12mu mids, Scanspeak 18wu midbasses, Scanspeak 32w/4878T00 13" Subwoofer, Scanspeak 10F / D3004/6020's (rear doors), Scanspeak 10F (rear fill). MiniDSP C-DSP 8x12 v2 DL, Arc Audio KS 300.2 v2, Arc Audio SKS300.6 Prototype, Arc Audio KS300.4 v2
GreatLaBroski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2018   #11
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 61 jeffp will become famous soon enoughjeffp will become famous soon enoughjeffp will become famous soon enoughjeffp will become famous soon enoughjeffp will become famous soon enoughjeffp will become famous soon enough

Paypal is not my favorite way to make or get payments for anything anymore. Im fact they now this month have changed their fee to do bank transfers. They just nicked me for 10.00 USD for a payment. I thought the ATM fee's were high for some transactions, but paypal has blown all that away. I choose to boycott paypal total ripoff!
jeffp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2018   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 193 miniSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the rough

As a buyer i am happy to add 3% to cover costs if i am not comfortable with gift. But i prefer to buy from people i am comfortable gifting to.

2018 Crosstrek
P SIX DSP MK2 GB10 GB25 Gs690 GB10d4x2 Z-2KD II
miniSQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to miniSQ For This Useful Post:
SQLnovice (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Slowpoke

Rep Power: 63 rob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadams5755 View Post
If they ask for a gift payment...
Nope. That's just fishy up front. Any help you might have gotten from PP is out the window. If I know you in meatspace that's a different story, but buying off the classifieds? Probably not.
rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2018   #14
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 61 jeffp will become famous soon enoughjeffp will become famous soon enoughjeffp will become famous soon enoughjeffp will become famous soon enoughjeffp will become famous soon enoughjeffp will become famous soon enough

I just don't like paypal period. they do charge 2.9% on business transactions, ok but as I said they use to charge .25 cents to do the bank transfer now they charge 1% up to 10.00 USD do the math.
So between fleabay and their final value fee, paypal with their 2.8% fee, and now the 1% bank transfer fee. Oh and fleabay also charges a fee for the shipping as well, when they do nothing in that respect.
I don't like the terms of doing business with either of the organizations. Just another leech on doing any business with fleabay and paypal.
Old 11-21-2018   #15

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,851 Times in 1,280 Posts
Rep Power: 458 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffp View Post
Paypal is not my favorite way to make or get payments for anything anymore. Im fact they now this month have changed their fee to do bank transfers. They just nicked me for 10.00 USD for a payment. I thought the ATM fee's were high for some transactions, but paypal has blown all that away. I choose to boycott paypal total ripoff!
yeah, this fucks me badly. i do a lot of my business with paypal, and going from a 25 cent fee to instant transfer to 1% is insane. Maybe when your transferring 100 bucks, but no business transfers 100 bucks at a time.

Hey Verticalscope, why the fuck do you force me to pay $500 a year for having a logo in my signature, then remove the ability to have said signature.. I'm wondering when one of you will get back to me about a refund. Thank you
SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2018   #16

Rep Power: 73 backousis will become famous soon enoughbackousis will become famous soon enoughbackousis will become famous soon enoughbackousis will become famous soon enoughbackousis will become famous soon enoughbackousis will become famous soon enough

you should see what is going on at europe and uk.
3,4%+0.25 each transaction and 3 euro every bank transfer.
backousis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2018   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
High Definition Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 340 Niebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
yeah, this fucks me badly. i do a lot of my business with paypal, and going from a 25 cent fee to instant transfer to 1% is insane. Maybe when your transferring 100 bucks, but no business transfers 100 bucks at a time.
I don't get what you are transferring to incur that fee?

As I read it, it would be to pay money using your bank account ONLY if using your debit card. Link your bank account and the transfer is free.

Linked bank account - Free
Instant Transfer with eligible linked debit card1% of amount transferred, with a maximum fee of $10.00

(https://www.paypal.com/en/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees)

And as far as the other fees involved with a normal purchase, you guys do realize Visa and Mastercard get some of that 2.9%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
There is a difference between overkill and bad. Your idea isn't overkill, it's bad.
Niebur3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2018   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
High Definition Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 340 Niebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Oh and fleabay also charges a fee for the shipping as well, when they do nothing in that respect.
Not sticking up for them but they started doing this when people decided to try and take advantage and sell a $1000 item for $1 with $999 shipping. If people didn't try and screw them over, they wouldn't have changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
There is a difference between overkill and bad. Your idea isn't overkill, it's bad.
Niebur3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Niebur3 For This Useful Post:
Black05Hemi (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 307 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

It's of my opinion that it's not a good idea to admit on a public forum that you "played the system". Doesn't matter how trustworthy someone is. It's also of my opinion that on used items you should NEVER send or receive payment as a gift.

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...Dayton HO12d4...MAKE DIYMA GREAT AGAIN!
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2018   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 117 Black05Hemi will become famous soon enoughBlack05Hemi will become famous soon enoughBlack05Hemi will become famous soon enoughBlack05Hemi will become famous soon enoughBlack05Hemi will become famous soon enoughBlack05Hemi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I just don't like paypal period. they do charge 2.9% on business transactions, ok but as I said they use to charge .25 cents to do the bank transfer now they charge 1% up to 10.00 USD do the math.
So between fleabay and their final value fee, paypal with their 2.8% fee, and now the 1% bank transfer fee. Oh and fleabay also charges a fee for the shipping as well, when they do nothing in that respect.
I don't like the terms of doing business with either of the organizations. Just another leech on doing any business with fleabay and paypal.
Right, it's called running a business. eBay and PayPal are not here to hold our hands. They are here to make money. If you don't like their tactics, don't use either. I choose to play their game, because it's just too damn convienient. I remember the days of selling shit on eBay, and waiting a week or more for the damn money order to come in the mail.
Black05Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2018   #21
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 122 Oscar will become famous soon enoughOscar will become famous soon enoughOscar will become famous soon enoughOscar will become famous soon enoughOscar will become famous soon enoughOscar will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black05Hemi View Post
Right, it's called running a business. eBay and PayPal are not here to hold our hands. They are here to make money. If you don't like their tactics, don't use either. I choose to play their game, because it's just too damn convienient. I remember the days of selling shit on eBay, and waiting a week or more for the damn money order to come in the mail.
I agree. If people don't like their terms, they should not use it. In another forum I use, if you decide accept paypal, you can't even hint at using a different pricing structure if someone wants to pay with Paypal as opposed to cash/check/MO (such as the infamous increasing the price to cover the fees so the seller doesn't get shafted). There is 1 price and 1 price only. If the seller accepts paypal, they eat the fees, period. Same price if someone handed the seller cash, sent a check/MO/Cashier's check. Instant ban if they find out the seller PM'd the buyer to send more to cover fees, or asked the seller to send as gift payment. Most people just try to offer the best deal by doing the gift payment, but technically it is against their terms and conditions. If people ask for a gift payment, I add 2.9% + 30 cents to cover the exact fees and send a goods purchase payment. No chance of getting left hung out to dry like that. I think it's a very safe system overall. Perfect? No, nothing is. But it is safe IMO, and works well for most. Beats sending a bank wire transfer @ $45 per "wire", lol.
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2018   #22

Rep Power: 28 mark3004 will become famous soon enoughmark3004 will become famous soon enoughmark3004 will become famous soon enoughmark3004 will become famous soon enoughmark3004 will become famous soon enoughmark3004 will become famous soon enough

Someone don't like PayPal or eBay? Well, then sell it on Craigslist for cash. How many probabilities you have to sell it and even faster? They provide a service, if you agree with policy then use them. It's easy.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
mark3004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2018   #23
Upgrade Your Membership!

No I don't like either. I use FB and that has sold most of my stuff for about a year now. You are correct they do provide a service, but they gouge their customers in my opinion. Charging me 10.00 for an electronic bank transfer, excessive for my business with them.
I realize you might believe they are not excessive. I sell radios I restore on ebay. The radio is a 7909J ready to rock and roll, with us tuning. So the listing is for $1200.00 USD say I sold ten units. Ebay charges me 120.00 each, final value fee of $1200.00 USD for ten pieces then 10% shipping fee of say 2.50 and total of 25.00 USD for all ten units. I am paid via paypal and they charge 2.9% on the 1200.00 34.80 a total of 348.00 for ten units. Now paypal also has started charging 10.00 USD for a 1200.00 dollar bank transfer for a total of 100.00 for ten pieces. so the grand total for all the charges with paypal and ebay is $1673.00 USD. That is accurate charges for ten pieces, now do you better understand why I don't want to use them to sell radios.
Service, ok, costly very much so.

Last edited by jeffp; 11-22-2018 at 12:13 AM..
Old 11-22-2018   #24
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 190 Mic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura about

As a side note---if paying as a Gift--make sure to include address. Ive had a few transactions recently both buying and selling where funds were sent as gift and address is not included.

2010 MECA Extreme World champion,
2005 IASCA World Champion Pro 600+
2010 MECA Mike Baylor Sportsmanship Award
2011 MECA SQL Spirit Award
2012 MECA SQL Judge of The Year
2012 IASCA FINALS SQ/INSTALL Judge
2012 USACi Japan Finals Judge
2013 IASCA FINALS IQC Install Judge
Mic10is is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2018   #25
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 122 Oscar will become famous soon enoughOscar will become famous soon enoughOscar will become famous soon enoughOscar will become famous soon enoughOscar will become famous soon enoughOscar will become famous soon enough

Quote:
No I don't like either. I use FB and that has sold most of my stuff for about a year now. You are correct they do provide a service, but they gouge their customers in my opinion. Charging me 10.00 for an electronic bank transfer, excessive for my business with them.
I realize you might believe they are not excessive. I sell radios I restore on ebay. The radio is a 7909J ready to rock and roll, with us tuning. So the listing is for $1200.00 USD say I sold ten units. Ebay charges me 120.00 each, final value fee of $1200.00 USD for ten pieces then 10% shipping fee of say 2.50 and total of 25.00 USD for all ten units. I am paid via paypal and they charge 2.9% on the 1200.00 34.80 a total of 348.00 for ten units. Now paypal also has started charging 10.00 USD for a 1200.00 dollar bank transfer for a total of 100.00 for ten pieces. so the grand total for all the charges with paypal and ebay is $1673.00 USD. That is accurate charges for ten pieces, now do you better understand why I don't want to use them to sell radios.
Service, ok, costly very much so.
As much as I don't like to lose money either, they are 100% entitled to do what they want with their companies. Don't use them to sell your radios. It's not gouging because it is not a vital necessity. Charging $10/gal of gasoline or diesel during a national crisis/natural disaster might be considered gouging. Selling a 20pk of bottled water for $20 during a national crisis/natural disaster might be considered gouging. Selling radios on Ebay? Ain't no federal agency gonna get your back on that brother.
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement