SMALLER AUDIO COMPANIES MAKE BETTER PRODUCTS THAN MAINSTREAM COMPANIES - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

View Poll Results: Do smaller companies make better products than mainstream companies?
YES 34 46.58%
NO 39 53.42%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 237 cleansoundz has a reputation beyond reputecleansoundz has a reputation beyond reputecleansoundz has a reputation beyond reputecleansoundz has a reputation beyond reputecleansoundz has a reputation beyond reputecleansoundz has a reputation beyond reputecleansoundz has a reputation beyond reputecleansoundz has a reputation beyond reputecleansoundz has a reputation beyond reputecleansoundz has a reputation beyond reputecleansoundz has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to cleansoundz

Default SMALLER AUDIO COMPANIES MAKE BETTER PRODUCTS THAN MAINSTREAM COMPANIES

Is it true? Yes or No. I believe that a smaller audio company that is more focused on quality control and product quality will produce better products than companies such as: Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer, MTX, JL Audio, RF, etc. Smaller companies can be: MacIntosh, Sundown Audio, Incriminator Audio, SSA, Dayton, CDT, Brax, Tru, etc. These products can be speakers, subwoofers, amps, coaxials, processors, etc.
cleansoundz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 118 edzyy will become famous soon enoughedzyy will become famous soon enoughedzyy will become famous soon enoughedzyy will become famous soon enoughedzyy will become famous soon enoughedzyy will become famous soon enoughedzyy will become famous soon enough

Default Re: SMALLER AUDIO COMPANIES MAKE BETTER PRODUCTS THAN MAINSTREAM COMPANIES

Yes and no.

Depends on what you're comparing.
edzyy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 136 jpswanberg will become famous soon enoughjpswanberg will become famous soon enoughjpswanberg will become famous soon enoughjpswanberg will become famous soon enoughjpswanberg will become famous soon enoughjpswanberg will become famous soon enough

Default Re: SMALLER AUDIO COMPANIES MAKE BETTER PRODUCTS THAN MAINSTREAM COMPANIES

Also depends on if the small companies actually make their own product, with their own r&d or if they buy from a build house and slap their label on it.
jpswanberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
JL Audio
Position:
VP Marketing

Rep Power: 319 msmith has a reputation beyond reputemsmith has a reputation beyond reputemsmith has a reputation beyond reputemsmith has a reputation beyond reputemsmith has a reputation beyond reputemsmith has a reputation beyond reputemsmith has a reputation beyond reputemsmith has a reputation beyond reputemsmith has a reputation beyond reputemsmith has a reputation beyond reputemsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Is this an evidence-based argument?
msmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 118 edouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enoughedouble101 will become famous soon enough

Goes both ways. There are just as many internet brand companies that I will not buy from as there are big box companies.

2015 Hyundai Sonata
edouble101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 168 AAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enough

I think it is a mixed bag.

You might get more power from an amplifier or more subwoofer excursion for less from a smaller company, often they will leverage existing designs and simply rebrand items. They will also often use more generic parts that might not integrate as well in the design. For instance look at input and output terminals. JL, alpine, JBl have more integrated designs for their flagships. You can see dollar store ones on the smaller brands.

You might not care so much at design and think you care more about power and performance, but then maybe after comparing you realise that having (number out of my ass) 25% more output power translates into inaudible performance benefits. So is it a toss-up?

The big boys can offer full product lines such as decks and better stock integration and system tuning. You don’t see the small companies bringing out self tune systems like we see from alpine and JBL. Certainly no advanced decks like the P99.

We often say install and tuning is where most benefits come from so, more often than not the tuning aspect, the “heart” of your system, will be coming from one of the big boys.

Small companies though are often good at filling niches and also being closer to their customers and many of us value that. However even the big boys are getting better at that to, how many reps for the major companies to we have on here?

I am glad that both sides do exist though.
AAAAAAA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 263 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

Exactly. Hell, Manville replied in this thread! lol if ANYONE has a quality issue with a JL product they were absolutely abusing the piss out of it.

Also, McIntosh is not small. Dayton is not small.

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 168 AAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enough

I don't know if I would put JL audio as one of the big boys. They offer a modest line up of focused quality products IMO and resemble more the smaller compagny model IMO.

I think qualifying who is big and who is small might be a challenge in itself.
some small compagnies rebrand a lot, some don't at all.

Some big compagnies don't rebrand, some do.

Quality control I think has nothing to do with the size of the company but is more related to where the product sits in the line up... top or bottom?
Old 04-16-2013   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 234 minbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to all

As a generalization, I would say no. Look at mainstream companies like Alpine and JL. They make very good quality components.

That is not to say that small companies dont make high quality. companies like Zed, ID, and Zuki are good examples.

Original post whore!
Bent Nail Brewery

2014 Tacoma, Stock HU |AC LC2i | Dayton 408 DSP | Phoenix Gold T500.2 -> Silver Flute 8" | -> JL 300/2 -> Vifa XT25 | JL 500/1 -> 12" ID IDQ
minbari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 115 07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
Exactly. Hell, Manville replied in this thread! lol if ANYONE has a quality issue with a JL product they were absolutely abusing the piss out of it.

Also, McIntosh is not small. Dayton is not small.
Do we have any other reps from the big boys though? Andy no longer works for Harmon. Grizz is now at Ground Zero which may or may not be small in Europe but is non existant for now here. Do we have anyone from Alpine or Pio or Kenwood? Almost forgot, and truely sorry Casey, we do have Casey from Morel.

Pioneer 80prs, Zapco DC 350.2 powering Audible Physics in the kicks/Soon to be DC 350.2 and DC 200.2 powering Morel Hybrid Integra 402, Zapco DC 750.2 powering Morel Elate MW 6 in the doors, Zapco DC 500.1 powering RE Audio SE (original series) 15

Last edited by 07azhhr; 04-16-2013 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: Correction on Grizz's new company name
07azhhr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 242 MarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleansoundz View Post
Is it true? Yes or No. I believe that a smaller audio company that is more focused on quality control and product quality will produce better products than companies such as: Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer, MTX, JL Audio, RF, etc. Smaller companies can be: MacIntosh, Sundown Audio, Incriminator Audio, SSA, Dayton, CDT, Brax, Tru, etc. These products can be speakers, subwoofers, amps, coaxials, processors, etc.
Since when is McIntosh small?

And why would you think QC is better with smaller companies?

I think stereotyping in this way is a really bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoofery
What I wanted to say is that amps ... sound the same.
MarkZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 115 07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAAAAA View Post
I don't know if I would put JL audio as one of the big boys. They offer a modest line up of focused quality products IMO and resemble more the smaller compagny model IMO.

I think qualifying who is big and who is small might be a challenge in itself.
some small compagnies rebrand a lot, some don't at all.

Some big compagnies don't rebrand, some do.

Quality control I think has nothing to do with the size of the company but is more related to where the product sits in the line up... top or bottom?
If nothing else we need a medium group. JL may fall inbetween that group and the big boys. I tend to think of them as a big boy though. They have wharehouses I would imagine thruought the states as I know they have one here in Phoenix. We also have countless shops that sell JL and if you want something that said shop does not have on hand they can have it for you by the afternoon. Small companies will not have wharehouses in other states other then theirs.

I know when I got back into audio a little over a year ago I walked into this one small shop and was told all they carry is JL and Kicker. I have since found another that carries only JL and RF. I am sure there are others too that rely mostly on selling JL.

For those in FL I just found this JL Audio - Factory Tours

Pioneer 80prs, Zapco DC 350.2 powering Audible Physics in the kicks/Soon to be DC 350.2 and DC 200.2 powering Morel Hybrid Integra 402, Zapco DC 750.2 powering Morel Elate MW 6 in the doors, Zapco DC 500.1 powering RE Audio SE (original series) 15
07azhhr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07azhhr View Post
Do we have any other reps from the big boys though? Andy no longer works for Harmon. Grizz is now at Ground Pounder which may or may not be small in Europe but is non existant for now here. Do we have anyone from Alpine or Pio or Kenwood? Almost forgot, and truely sorry Casey, we do have Casey from Morel.
There is a rep for epsilon still on here that is not grizz, and there is Jim from alpine.

I think it would be hard to distinguish big from small.

Product line up?
# of employees?
Revenue?
sales?
Old 04-16-2013   #14
Upgrade Your Membership!

Mobile Audio SQ

Rep Power: 265 chefhow has a reputation beyond reputechefhow has a reputation beyond reputechefhow has a reputation beyond reputechefhow has a reputation beyond reputechefhow has a reputation beyond reputechefhow has a reputation beyond reputechefhow has a reputation beyond reputechefhow has a reputation beyond reputechefhow has a reputation beyond reputechefhow has a reputation beyond reputechefhow has a reputation beyond repute

I would say NO.
Smaller companies more likely than not are buying things off the shelf and relying on the manufacturers to handle the QC/QA portion of the process, leaving room for more errors.

Visit the MASQ Facebook page for news and information around Mobile Audio SQ and IASCA shows in the Texas/Southern Oklahoma region as well as the North East/Mid Atlantic regions.https://www.facebook.com/Mobile-Audi...dmin_todo_tour
mobileaudiosq.com
chefhow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 263 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07azhhr View Post
Do we have any other reps from the big boys though? Andy no longer works for Harmon. Grizz is now at Ground Pounder which may or may not be small in Europe but is non existant for now here. Do we have anyone from Alpine or Pio or Kenwood? Almost forgot, and truely sorry Casey, we do have Casey from Morel.

Jim Walters from Alpine is a regular. Nick Wingate from ORCA. What exactly does a rep mean though? Nothing. It has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the product. At all.

Old 04-16-2013   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 237 cleansoundz has a reputation beyond reputecleansoundz has a reputation beyond reputecleansoundz has a reputation beyond reputecleansoundz has a reputation beyond reputecleansoundz has a reputation beyond reputecleansoundz has a reputation beyond reputecleansoundz has a reputation beyond reputecleansoundz has a reputation beyond reputecleansoundz has a reputation beyond reputecleansoundz has a reputation beyond reputecleansoundz has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to cleansoundz

These are the exact answers that I was looking for from this thread. Thanks
cleansoundz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 110 Viggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enough

I do not look at it as big vs small

Just because they are small doesnt mean their q.c. Is better then a large company

Look at a small auto manufacturer like Lamborghini vs Honda. Is the Lamborghini more reliable and will it last longer vs the Honda? Is the q.c. At Lamborghini better then Honda?

To me its more about simply their targeted market. Alpine makes great stuff however they do not want to compete against $5,000 car audio amplifiers or $2,500 subwoofers but they do compete quite well in the under $500 amp and $100-300 sub market. Small companies usually do not want to compete with the large electronic companies in areas that are difficult to enter and make a profit, cd/nav/head units as a example. They stick to areas which are easier to enter and turn a profit.
Viggen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
JL Audio
Position:
VP Marketing

Rep Power: 319 msmith has a reputation beyond reputemsmith has a reputation beyond reputemsmith has a reputation beyond reputemsmith has a reputation beyond reputemsmith has a reputation beyond reputemsmith has a reputation beyond reputemsmith has a reputation beyond reputemsmith has a reputation beyond reputemsmith has a reputation beyond reputemsmith has a reputation beyond reputemsmith has a reputation beyond repute

The quality of our products has improved as we became a bigger company. More resources give us the ability to invest in better production equipment, better tooling, more research and better quality procedures. The product we built today is the best we have ever built.

Here's are a few photo galleries that show what I'm talking about...
JL Audio

I tend to place more trust in a speaker assembled in a high-tech facility than in some "hand-made" operation where adhesives are applied to speakers with ketchup squeeze bottles.
Old 04-16-2013   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
JL Audio
Position:
VP Marketing

double post deleted

Last edited by msmith; 04-16-2013 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: sorry, double posted.
Old 04-16-2013   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Sonic Electronix
Position:
Merchandising

Rep Power: 138 left channel will become famous soon enoughleft channel will become famous soon enoughleft channel will become famous soon enoughleft channel will become famous soon enoughleft channel will become famous soon enoughleft channel will become famous soon enough

I think it depends more on the focus of the company than the size. A small company that puts a strong focus on QC is no better or worse than a large company that does the same. In addition, a company that focuses on mass production for minimum margin is going to place less importance on QC. Regardless of the overall size of the company.

the best audio cables that I've ever heard are made in the Swiss Alps by naked virgins and are soaked in Yeti Sperm for 4 days.... Amazing! totally worth the $10k/ft price tag...
left channel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013   #21

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Manic1! is on a distinguished roadManic1! is on a distinguished roadManic1! is on a distinguished roadManic1! is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith View Post
The quality of our products has improved as we became a bigger company. More resources give us the ability to invest in better production equipment, better tooling, more research and better quality procedures. The product we built today is the best we have ever built.

Here's are a few photo galleries that show what I'm talking about...
JL Audio

I tend to place more trust in a speaker assembled in a high-tech facility than in some "hand-made" operation where adhesives are applied to speakers with ketchup squeeze bottles.
Please fix your website. Your link takes me to the Canadian website. The Canadian website has none of tutorials the US site has. I also can't see any of the pictures you are talking about.

Last edited by Manic1!; 04-16-2013 at 02:17 PM..
Manic1! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Ground Zero USA

Rep Power: 282 Scott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic1! View Post
Please fix your website. Your link takes me to the Canadian website. The Canadian website has none of tutorials the US site. I also can't see any of the pictures you are talking about.
Thats Canadian internet for you. The link takes me to the standard JL site. Fix your internet provider.

Scott@GZUSA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 87 soundcontrol will become famous soon enoughsoundcontrol will become famous soon enoughsoundcontrol will become famous soon enoughsoundcontrol will become famous soon enoughsoundcontrol will become famous soon enoughsoundcontrol will become famous soon enough

Quality versus quantity may be what your looking at. Typically larger companies deal in large quantities and smaller companies not as much. DD audio would fall under a smaller brand that is well known for their quality. Alpine, Kenwood, RF, are larger companies and many others are also known for making great quality products and filling a bigger gap from low end to high end products.

ED audio was a small company and there have been many post of people that experienced numerous quality issues.

Cheap, inexpensive, and quality are often confused and every ones idea of what they are may differ.

Cheap for me is just a product that is poorly made and can be available at a variety of price points.

Inexpensive is a product that may be low in cost, but is a great value product that performs well for what it is intended to do. Entry level products that when used properly are great. Often because of the price are abused by those who do not know better and are then labeled as cheap.

Quality is what we as consumers expect in any product we buy. Defects and issues happen for any company size and how the company handles that for the customer is as important as the end product itself.

Many instances have to do with customer installation or use. The ones that are because of the product alone are the ones I am referring to. It can be a fine line when many customers do no understand that it is them and not the product. All can take some abuse, but too much will always lead to failure that isn't the manufactures fault. This ignorance as mentioned before can lead to many labeling something cheap based on their lack of understanding.
soundcontrol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 242 MarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really nice

Quote:
Please fix your website. Your link takes me to the Canadian website. The Canadian website has none of tutorials the US site has. I also can't see any of the pictures you are talking about.
Do smaller audio companies have better websites than mainstream companies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoofery
What I wanted to say is that amps ... sound the same.
MarkZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
The link is fine. Yours takes you to Canada's because you're IN Canada and have a Canadian IP address. You could try copying and pasting the address in manually.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement